PDA

View Full Version : Experiences: Travel to Canada on AP

jc_
05-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Hello all, I'm hoping I could get some light on a situation.
I want to visit Canada with AP, but I'm trying to see if anyone has this experience.
My work visa expired in 2009 and a year later I got married and filed AOS.
I have an advance parole and want to visit Canada. I'm already aware of the overstay
rule and all, but has anyone in my position ever traveled to Canada and made it back without problems at the border coming to the US?

slowwin
05-17-2011, 05:41 PM
If you have valid AP and pending AOS, it should not be problem to re-enter USA.
You would obviously have to show a VISA for CANADA while boarding a plane though.

-----------------------------
Not a Lawyer. No liability for the opinion, advise expressed here and they may not be construed as legal advise.

skpanda
05-17-2011, 08:06 PM
If you have AP/EAD you should not have any problem entering US from anywhere (including Canada).

Good Luck!

Hello all, I'm hoping I could get some light on a situation.
I want to visit Canada with AP, but I'm trying to see if anyone has this experience.
My work visa expired in 2009 and a year later I got married and filed AOS.
I have an advance parole and want to visit Canada. I'm already aware of the overstay
rule and all, but has anyone in my position ever traveled to Canada and made it back without problems at the border coming to the US?

jc_
05-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Ok my next question is what about the part that says I could be barred 3/10 years for the over stay? Does that apply to border crossing you think?

univariate
05-18-2011, 08:49 AM
With AP, you shouldn't have problem reentering USA. I came back on AP last Oct. at Buffalo. Make sure to check port of entry where they process immigration and hour of operation (Big entry usually open 24) and give back your old I-94. They will issue new one.

chinnubannu
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Hello Friend,
Similar situation I encounterd couple of years ago. Since having a Perment residence Card from Canada, While coming back to US the port of entry official (DHS-US) in Canada asked me which one of the green card you're gonna keep Canada or US. After grilling for few minutes he let go. He is under the impression you cant claim to be a resident of 2 phisical locations. Not aware weather there is any legal validity to support that statement. But I convinced him that US is my priority thru my past record. Then he let go.
Good Luck

jc_
05-18-2011, 11:04 PM
With AP, you shouldn't have problem reentering USA. I came back on AP last Oct. at Buffalo. Make sure to check port of entry where they process immigration and hour of operation (Big entry usually open 24) and give back your old I-94. They will issue new one.

Did you acquire any unlawful presence? if yes how long was your old 1-94 expired for?

CHHAYA
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
We traveled to India last month and entered USA on AP at IAD. Now in Summer vacation we want to go to Canada for 1 week my Mega bus. Can any one share the similar experience. I know that we will have to take Canada's Visa. Please give some advice.

sunny1000
01-14-2012, 12:08 AM
We traveled to India last month and entered USA on AP at IAD. Now in Summer vacation we want to go to Canada for 1 week my Mega bus. Can any one share the similar experience. I know that we will have to take Canada's Visa. Please give some advice.

You definitely need a canadian visa. Get the multiple entry visitor visa if you plan on going more that once within a year.

You will be questioned on your the reason of your visit. Please have your travel bookings (places you are planning to visit, the hotel bookings and the return journey ticket) ready to show them.

I traveled 3 times last year. Twice I had no issues as I had planned the trip properly. The third time, they sent me to secondary inspection since I was travelling alone and decided to make a last minute trip to vancouver from seattle. The customs officer at the secondary inspection told me that if I had planned my trip early (so that they had advance passenger information) and had all the itinerary papers with me, I could have avoided the secondary inspection.

enjoy your vacation.

Madhuri
01-14-2012, 12:15 PM
We recently came back from Vancouver by air with no issues. We had Canadian visitor's visa and stayed in Canada for 4 days.
Anybody entered by road on AP from Mexico border into California? If so, please share your experience.

CHHAYA
01-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks Sunny1000 and Madhuri. We will be doing immigration at Buffalo. Any one with AP immigration experience at Buffalo - Please share.