PDA

View Full Version : Our priority now should be...

xeixas
09-27-2008, 08:53 PM
... to obtain exact I-485 application numbers from USCIS. We need to demand that they make public how many cases are in the queue for each different country and what is the expected waiting time for each EB category. The request is fair and does not require new legislation.

We need to know, based on the existing legislation, how many years would it take for each of us to get a green card. It makes a big difference if we wait 3 or 10 more years, and it is only fair that we have that information so that we can make decisions in our lives.

kshitijnt
09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I am proposing we wait and time the "calculator" campaign to send small inexpensive calculators to USCIS when they come out with numbers for visa wastage.

hopefulgc
09-27-2008, 10:56 PM
You are on the money my friend.
This should takes precedence over everything else.

... to obtain exact I-485 application numbers from USCIS. We need to demand that they make public how many cases are in the queue for each different country and what is the expected waiting time for each EB category. The request is fair and does not require new legislation.

We need to know, based on the existing legislation, how many years would it take for each of us to get a green card. It makes a big difference if we wait 3 or 10 more years, and it is only fair that we have that information so that we can make decisions in our lives.

optimystic
09-28-2008, 01:22 AM
I have mentioned the same thing in couple of other threads...

I reiterate --- We need a immediate, thorough, persistent, high profile effort from IV community to get just two things

ONE
----
The numbers of pending I-485 cases in all categories (and possibly year wise break down of numbers). Whether using FOI act or requesting via Ombudsman or file lawsuit or whatever it takes

TWO
-----
Requesting USCIS to make public just two bits of information every month. The range of PDs (the oldest and the latest PD) in each category (EB1, EB2, EB3 etc) among the approved cases in a given month.

The first one is the single most important piece of information that can do miracles potentially...... The second one would be icing on the cake...

Why should IV community make this top priority
- We are not asking USCIS/DOS/Congress to change any laws. Which means
- We don't have to lobby hard
- We don't have to spend lots of money
- We don't have to suffer thru the indignation of our cause(5882) being prioritzed lower than some *Horse* S*&% in congressional discussions
- Less scope of this cause/drive being caught in political red tape

- The information we are asking is already available to them and its not too hard to compile..since all data is computerized

- They can't claim they don't have these numbers, since this is the most basic (among other info) info they would have to provide to DOS to set PDs etc...

- The law (FOI) is already in place and on our side. And the process is straight forward as well.

- By having this data made public, would automatically
- Drive transparency and accountability
- Pressure USCIS to work efficiently and FAIRLY.
- Prevent wastage of Visa numbers
- Expose the plight of Legal immigrants to every one.

optimystic
09-28-2008, 01:27 AM

I reiterate --- We need a immediate, thorough, persistent, high profile effort from IV community to get just two things

ONE
----
The numbers of pending I-485 cases in all categories (and possibly year wise break down of numbers). Whether using FOI act or requesting via Ombudsman or file lawsuit or whatever it takes

TWO
-----
Requesting USCIS to make public just two bits of information every month. The range of PDs (the oldest and the latest PD) in each category (EB1, EB2, EB3 etc) for all approved cases in a given month.

The first one is the single most important piece of information that can do miracles potentially...... The second one would be icing on the cake...

- We don't have to suffer thru the indignation of our cause(5882) being prioritzed lower than some *Horse* S*&% in congressional discussions

- The information we are asking is already available to them and its not too hard to compile..since all data is computerized

- They can't claim they don't have these numbers, since this is the most basic (among other info) info they would have to provide to DOS to set PDs etc...

- The law (FOI) is already in place and on our side. And the process is straight forward as well.

I sincerely request IV core/admins to comment on this and tell us
- What are the reasons/impediments that prevent us from pursuing this
- What would they need from the IV community to make this happen.

No disrespect but I hope we get some more details than 'Get in touch with your local state chapters'

bsbawa10
09-28-2008, 12:09 PM

ONE
----

TWO
-----
Requesting USCIS to make public just two bits of information every month. The range of PDs (the oldest and the latest PD) in each category (EB1, EB2, EB3 etc) for all approved cases in a given month.

I CANNOT AGREE MORE. I ALSO REQUEST EVERYBODY TO JUMP IN AND ASK FOR THIS THESE TWO THINGS BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE.

p1234
09-28-2008, 01:43 PM
I oppose this priority. Just getting the number information is not going to get us greencards. We need to spend our energies for something that gets greencards and not some more statistics. We need to try and think of helpful administrative fixes we can do in the absence of a bill.

Let's first start with getting more info out of USCIS. Haven't enough time and energy spent in trying to get laws changed? None of the bills ever see the light of the day. Isn't that more realistic than pessimistic?

Can we not focus on this first?

optimystic
09-28-2008, 05:34 PM
I oppose this priority. Just getting the number information is not going to get us greencards. We need to spend our energies for something that gets greencards and not some more statistics. We need to try and think of helpful administrative fixes we can do in the absence of a bill.

I disgree with your disagreement :)

I mentioned couple of reasons how this data/statistics is going to help us in my post above.

The biggest problem I currently see is that USCIS operations are shrouded in secrecy....Hence there is no accountability or pressure or incentive to process cases fairly in priority order...

Even if we can get some laws passed like Visa recapture....what if USCIS continues to work at snail's pace and continue to process cases out of order.... You can't even blame them any more for Visa number wastage since there will be plenty of visas after recapture and they will respond back "Hey there's no more wastage now, why are you worrried...you will get your GC eventually! " "Or we are short handed , we can't go any faster than this"

So how to force them to work efficiently and process more cases....I see only one Way ---Transparency...if everyone knows how many 2001/2002 cases are rotting in their warehouses while they for no reason play sea-saw with PDs and Processing dates, then there might be some pressure...Hell it might even motivate dormant members of this community to take up arms (placards ! ) and fight (rally ! ) for the cause. AILA etc may be able to support us openly...

I mean this is a very low hanging fruit as opposed to other drives that are being proposed (law changes to allow house buyers to get GC faster, Removal of Country quotas etc).....but the potential for benefit may be huge....Unless I am totally missing some thing here...Hence the request for comments from experienced people from IV core...

optimystic
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
^^ bump ^^

bsbawa10
09-28-2008, 09:48 PM
^^ bump ^^

Hi Optimystic, I think either quite many people have left IV or have no enthusiasm left at all. I fully support you though.

hopefulgc
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Can atleast one person from IV core help us out with this so that people on the sidelines can start joining in and supporting this. We can totalyl use the support.
we gotta get this going.

ONE
----

TWO
-----

optimystic
09-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Got a red dot with a comment "." !

To the commenter:
I don't care about red dot or green dot. But I do care about what you think or want to say, as long as it is a reasonable argument. And I often would prefer it as a open response rather than a hidden comment.

A healthy open debate is a necessary process to arrive at a consensus direction. But when you give me nothing but a "." as your response, I don't know what we can debate about it! I wonder what do you even get by just giving red for my point of view but not saying what your point of view is ! That is not just weak but a NULL argument !

I do appreciate though for not using some foul language in the comment :)

Reasonable arguments are always welcome. Please do let us know why you disagree.

sanju
09-29-2008, 12:54 AM
Look, either you care about the red/green dot or you don't. It can't be both at the same time. And if you don't care about the red dots or the comments, then why did you dedicate an entire post to red dot. It must have taken you at least 10 minutes to read the comments, think about a response and then draft your response of 10 lines. It makes me sick when someone says that I don't care about the red dots and argues against the red dot/-ve remark or the type/manner of -ve remark. I mean, such post speaks loud and clear that you are very very very mindful of your reputation on the unanimous forum on which your reputation is decided by other unanimous members, without you knowing who those unanimous members are. Why argue with that unanimous member who gave you -ve reputation if you don't care. I see at least 3-4 such posts every day and couldn't stop myself from posting my views about such posts. If you don't care about red/green dots, why even check to see if you got red or green dot?

Got a red dot with a comment "." !

To the commenter:
I don't care about red dot or green dot. But I do care about what you think or want to say, as long as it is a reasonable argument. And I often would prefer it as a open response rather than a hidden comment.

A healthy open debate is a necessary process to arrive at a consensus direction. But when you give me nothing but a "." as your response, I don't know what we can debate about it! I wonder what do you even get by just giving red for my point of view but not saying what your point of view is ! That is not just weak but a NULL argument !

I do appreciate though for not using some foul language in the comment :)

Reasonable arguments are always welcome. Please do let us know why you disagree.

optimystic
09-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Look, either you care about the red/green dot or you don't. It can't be both at the same time. And if you don't care about the red dots or the comments, then why did you dedicate an entire post to red dot. It must have taken you at least 10 minutes to read the comments, think about a response and then draft your response of 10 lines. It makes me sick when someone says that I don't care about the red dots and argues against the red dot/-ve remark or the type/manner of -ve remark. I mean, such post speaks loud and clear that you are very very very mindful of your reputation on the unanimous forum on which your reputation is decided by other unanimous members, without you knowing who those unanimous members are. Why argue with that unanimous member who gave you -ve reputation if you don't care. I see at least 3-4 such posts every day and couldn't stop myself from posting my views about such posts. If you don't care about red/green dots, why even check to see if you got red or green dot?

Sanju,

- I thought I made it clear that I cared about the view point/comment (or the absence there of) than the dot itself

- unanimous ---- I think you mean anonymous

- I don't claim that I am totally oblivious to reputation points....they do have some purpose...they obviously have some weight (people pay attention to your view points based on perceived reputation) otherwise IV core would not have made that a requirement to participate in chat. But I am not obsessive about the points either.

- I look at the reputation comments to see what people are thinking about my view point & who agree/disagree with me (some people put their handles in comments so you know who agree with your view point) so I can clarify my views better if I can

- I took me only 5 min to go thru comments and write that post.

- I would have rather preferred you commented a line or two about the topic of this thread than 13 lines you used up commenting on trivial stuff. (I am guilty of doing the same, now that I responded to your post :) )

-Some times I find any excuse I can to post a response to stealthily bump up the topic I am interested in to the top rather than blatantly "^^BUMP^^" ing

- I hope I responded to all your points (I know from some other posts of yours that you are stickler for getting responses to all points you made)

Now I hope you rather made some comments on the topic in question than this response :D

sanju
09-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks, I meant anonymous.

Quite frankly, I think you were reacting to the red dot because if it would have been green, you would have not written a post about it. But because it was red, you couldn't resist expressing your frustration over something you seem to believe strongly. Hence my post about why say I don't care, when actually you do.

5 or 10 minutes, doesn't make much difference. The fact that you are still thinking about it is what matters. All that I am trying to say is, if you really don't care, don't even be tempted to look to find out if others approve of you. Because if you are looking for approval from others, you will always be in this state of conflict to say that you don't care only when someone disapprove your thoughts. Its like, if you have $10 million, and you go out to buy everything that you DON'T WANT, and then wonder why is my house filled with all the things that I don't want. Just like that, when you look and respond to the things that you don't want, you just create more of such events that you don't want. I am merely suggesting you not to look at red/green if you actually don't care. You are free to chose whatever works for you. And if you still want to care about it because you believe that there are better minds, in this case IV core, who would not have made that a requirement to participate in chat, well, in that case, I am sure you would agree with the same better minds, again in this case, IV core, should be allowed to choose not to respond to this thread, instead of demanding a response.

Sanju,

- I thought I made it clear that I cared about the view point/comment (or the absence there of) than the dot itself

- unanimous ---- I think you mean anonymous

- I don't claim that I am totally oblivious to reputation points....they do have some purpose...they obviously have some weight (people pay attention to your view points based on perceived reputation) otherwise IV core would not have made that a requirement to participate in chat. But I am not obsessive about the points either.

- I look at the reputation comments to see what people are thinking about my view point & who agree/disagree with me (some people put their handles in comments so you know who agree with your view point) so I can clarify my views better if I can

- I took me only 5 min to go thru comments and write that post.

- I would have rather preferred you commented a line or two about the topic of this thread than 13 lines you used up commenting on trivial stuff. (I am guilty of doing the same, now that I responded to your post :) )

-Some times I find any excuse I can to post a response to stealthily bump up the topic I am interested in to the top rather than blatantly "^^BUMP^^" ing

- I hope I responded to all your points (I know from some other posts of yours that you are stickler for getting responses to all points you made)

Now I hope you rather made some comments on the topic in question than this response :D

Sanju,

I try not to bother others when I disagree, which is often. But I presume you are referring to my discussion with sc3. It was not my intention to engage with sc3, but couldn't resist responding to some of his assertions. So had to discuss his postings just to make sure that he/she was not walking over others, no other reason. I was not trying to be stickler, just making sure that he did not chose the most convenient path when challenged about his/her views.

Sanju,

That makes two of us. :D

optimystic
09-29-2008, 02:58 AM

ONE
----

TWO
-----
Requesting USCIS to make public just two bits of information every month. The range of PDs (the oldest and the latest PD) in each category (EB1, EB2, EB3 etc) among the approved cases in a given month.

The original intent of the thread was getting lost :) hence the repost.

- I clarify again, I am not *demanding* a response from IV core, but sincerely requesting them to convey their thoughts/ideas on the topic.

- I am saying this is something to be taken up by 'IV community' not just 'IV core'. But guidance from IV core will definitely be a lot helpful.

- Other Gurus/seniors are also welcome to comment and provide guidelines. May be this (filing of FOI requests) is something each of us should be doing individually. But some kind of guidance/coordination from IV would be beneficial to all

- IV core has all the right to ignore and not respond to dozens of threads that get generated daily with frivolous ideas or baseless allegations or meatless content

- I honestly believe this is not one such thread and that I am not being self righteous.

Regards.

pbojja
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM

This should be the first step in fixing the immigration , If I know if I have to wait 3 more years I will take a full-time offer and move on with my life . If its matter of months I will wait for my GC . If we know the numbers we can take better decissions in our life .

But reality is they dont the numbers , because they can not use computers efficently ..Its like Andhra Bank(In 2000, dont know current status) using computers . If they know it why move the dates to 2006 , when there are tons of pending applications of earlier dates ...There is a communication gap between NSC,TSC,DOL, consular processing and so on ..unless they fix it our wait continues ...............

gc_on_demand
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
If USCIS release such info. It will make you and me aware that how many years it will take to get GC. without passing law. And people may not apply for GC if its take 6-10 years. Believe me when a person apply for GC they dont know this years . Only after couple year they check in and become members of such a forum or ORG.

And USCIS whole business is on us and they will loose it. From business men point of view I wont loose customers.

optimystic
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
If USCIS release such info. It will make you and me aware that how many years it will take to get GC. without passing law. And people may not apply for GC if its take 6-10 years. Believe me when a person apply for GC they dont know this years . Only after couple year they check in and become members of such a forum or ORG.

And USCIS whole business is on us and they will loose it. From business men point of view I wont loose customers.

Exactly...it's not in their interest to release that data. That's why we have to force them to part with that data.

People will file for their GC's even if they know its a 10 year wait. Humans are eternally hopeful :). But their expectations might change...and they may also plan better for alternatives.

So that is not the exact concern that USCIS has, that it will lose customers...But it definitely seems to be interested in keeping things shrouded in secrecy so that its not held accountable. Just read in another post that they have back dated the Processing Date related details to July 31 2008. They seem to be methodically bullet proofing themselves against all accountability!

here4gc
09-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Its right on the money..guys..lets fix a date and send it on October 2'nd...Gandhijayanti..and we include the EXACT same message with our calculators...Happy Mahatma Gandhi Day (OR Gandhi Jayanti - although I dunno if the goras will understand the meaning hehe) - and I hope we can help you calculate the number of pending applications by category, by Priority date and by recieved date, also would help is projection of visa usage (OR WASTAGE) based on existing and previous data.

We could also volunteer a team of people who will, in their own time try to work with their IT in case they need our help :o

Come'n guys..LETS DO IT

xeixas
09-30-2008, 12:27 AM

... it is in our best interest that they release those numbers.

I just can't believe the data is not available... I think that USCIS is not just worried about their "business" or the money, but most importantly about the repercussions of admitting that it could take up to 10 years for a legal immigrant to obtain a GC. I honestly think that a lot of media would pick up on that (which is my goal) and it would be really hard for anyone to make a case against us. After all, how can someone say that there is nothing wrong with waiting that long before you become a permanent resident?

optimystic
09-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Unfortunately there are no comments yet from any core members. Hope this thread catches their attention soon.

ScratchingHead
09-30-2008, 01:42 AM

Absolutely!!!!

ajju
09-30-2008, 03:26 AM
Unfortunately there are no comments yet from any core members. Hope this thread catches their attention soon.

but common sense is not common anymore :-)

On a serious note, your idea has some weightage and deserve more discussion... Can we demand it, is another question.. but we should ask for it...

a1b2c3
09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
First of all, we would like USCIS to publish the name check status properly.
(people use infopass to get this info, why not just publish it and make it easier for everyone)

Second, we would like USCIS to publish a graph in Oct and April every year, which provides 6-month projections of PD movements. They would, of course, come with a disclaimer.
(arbitrarily long waits are killing everyone, we need to know how approximately "much longer", when we are in the final stages)

Thirdly, we would like USCIS to update processing times every month to accurately reflect the status of 140, EAD, AP, 485.
(today, the processing times pages are hopelessly out-of-date)

once we decide on "what" to ask, we can decide "how".
We should keep our list of demands really short for it to be effective, let's not try to educate anyone how much skilled immigration is important to this country because this is not the goal of this exercise.

Stop bashing USCIS, we are not fully there yet, let's not get into any controversies.
Don't fight the system, see whether you can use it to your advantage.

We don't need to wait for blessings from core IV. Their blessings are with us as our blessings are with them. Let them focus on long-term immigration relief issue like visa recapture and so on, they have much on their plates.

a1b2c3
09-30-2008, 08:10 AM

ONE
----

TWO
-----

optimystic, everyone really likes yours and the thread owner's idea of keeping our demands really short and simple.
I think we should ask for PD projections for 6-months (see my prev post).
It will help USCIS to streamline their own operations.

NKR
09-30-2008, 09:57 AM
optimystic, everyone really likes yours and the thread owner's idea of keeping our demands really short and simple.
I think we should ask for PD projections for 6-months (see my prev post).
It will help USCIS to streamline their own operations.

I agree

Leo07
09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Let's help ourselves...the owner of the thread can take up this as initiative and drive this all the way to the goal. I'm sure many on this forum will pitch-in as well.

Diverting the already scarce IV-Core resources to temporary relief or feel-good items, is something I disagree with.

Not sure how many folks will agree with me:)

alkg
09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree too on the two most important points

ONE
----

TWO
-----

ScratchingHead
09-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Let's help ourselves...the owner of the thread can take up this as initiative and drive this all the way to the goal. I'm sure many on this forum will pitch-in as well.

Diverting the already scarce IV-Core resources to temporary relief or feel-good items, is something I disagree with.

Not sure how many folks will agree with me:)

I disagree with you. Diverting from what? I hope nobody agrees with you.

optimystic
10-10-2008, 04:02 AM

ONE
----

TWO
-----

Just wondering, with the news about database overhaul at USCIS (due by end of October possibly), would it make even more sense now to push for this kind of information?
Things should be more automated, so they should have no more excuses...right?

Anyway, with the state of economy, and the upcoming election, every one's attention is towards those two issues. Any amount of noise we make would probably be overwhelmed by the hue and cry over the financial meltdown and war of words at the election battlefront. And anyways everyone of us is currently more worried about our next paycheck at the moment than our GC.

Perfect setup for USCIS to take a backseat, stretch their legs and ignore the unimportant stuff (like their day-to-day job responsibilities which are paid for by our hard earned money :mad: ) without a hint of worry that someone would raise a finger at them :mad:

gjoe
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Why you want to think of some solution without fully understanding the problem with factual evidence? How do you think you help with the fixes based on assumptions be more meaningful than something with facts like number which we want USCIS to release?

Read this post thread below

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?p=280474#post280474

nixstor
10-10-2008, 02:29 PM
To the OP and others who want the statistics

There is a FOIA request pending for such information. There are few members who have also filed for FOIA requests. As many of us know, the new database is supposed to provide CIS itself, DOS and the AOS applicants of such statistics. AOS petitions are in the CLAIMS database, which is now being consolidated into BIS. They never had this info to give it out.

How ever, the reason why this is happening now is Open Govt act of 2007 becomes effective on 12/31/08 and it will give the power to FOIA requester to take the agency to court and claim legal expenses. There are other serious penalties for not satisfying FOIA requests or for frivolous denials. Read my blog post (http://nixstor.blogspot.com/2008/10/uscis-benefits-information-system-and.html) on this and file a FOIA with USCIS, if you want. How ever, I feel that this info is going to come out on its own.

If there are enthusiastic members, prepare a FOIA request template and post it here so that the request can be fine grained and sent to USCIS by every interested member.

rsdang
10-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I am proposing we wait and time the "calculator" campaign to send small inexpensive calculators to USCIS when they come out with numbers for visa wastage.

love the calcul;ator campaign idea - its so funny that it may actually work...

gjoe
10-10-2008, 05:14 PM
You provided very useful information. You got some green dots from me for that.

There is a FOIA request pending for such information. There are few members who have also filed for FOIA requests. As many of us know, the new database is supposed to provide CIS itself, DOS and the AOS applicants of such statistics. AOS petitions are in the CLAIMS database, which is now being consolidated into BIS. They never had this info to give it out.

How ever, the reason why this is happening now is Open Govt act of 2007 becomes effective on 12/31/08 and it will give the power to FOIA requester to take the agency to court and claim legal expenses. There are other serious penalties for not satisfying FOIA requests or for frivolous denials. Read my blog post (http://nixstor.blogspot.com/2008/10/uscis-benefits-information-system-and.html) on this and file a FOIA with USCIS, if you want. How ever, I feel that this info is going to come out on its own.

If there are enthusiastic members, prepare a FOIA request template and post it here so that the request can be fine grained and sent to USCIS by every interested member.

m306m
10-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I really like this idea. Accountability drives performance.

Most of the folks who oppose the idea say that they oppose it because it is forcing USCIS to give out statistics and that does not directly impact number of visas available for GC.

Why does it have to be either focusing on getting statistics or pushing bills to increase visa numbers. We can and should do both! I know the resources are constrainted but we really should be pressuring USCIS to give us the information that will drive accountability and also work with law makers to provide relief by recapturing the past visa numbers.

IV Core, please give us your input.

optimystic
10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Good information Nixstor. Thanks! I also browsed thru the links you have on your blog and learning a lot about FOIA and Open Govt Act. Good stuff.

optimystic
10-10-2008, 10:12 PM

There is a FOIA request pending for such information. There are few members who have also filed for FOIA requests. .........

Nixstor, you say there is already such a FOIA request pending. That's good news! Is this something that was filed by IV or one of its members? May god bless the souls of whoever filed it! Would you please mind sharing more details , if you have access to them, as to what was requested via that request and how long its been pending.

Based on what you mentioned in your response it seems USCIS would no longer be able to ignore such requests and let them rot and catch dust in their warehouses anymore. So may be that request will see light soon and shed light on some useful statistics.

gjoe
10-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Everyone would appreciate the statistical information about applications. We all will like to slice and dice this information as per our curiosity. This may streamline USCIS processes too, though very little change of that. However, to achieve the ultimate goal of getting GC there are other more important tasks then getting the statistics.

I fully agree that there are important tasks for getting our GC. But the most important task is to have the statistics first, analyze it, and then come up with a plan on how to approach the other tasks.
If GC is the 10th step, statistics is the first step and equivalent to the light switch which would illuminate our stairway. We can skip the first step and start from the second but you will be climbing a dark stairway and you will never know if the 10th step leads you to GC or just to nowhere.
To put this more simply, everyone will have a better idea to plan there careers and life much better if they have the statistics.

shiankuraaf
10-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Otherwise it looks like I am running in the pitch dark night around thick jungle.

I fully agree that there are important tasks for getting our GC. But the most important task is to have the statistics first, analyze it, and then come up with a plan on how to approach the other tasks.
If GC is the 10th step, statistics is the first step and equivalent to the light switch which would illuminate our stairway. We can skip the first step and start from the second but you will be climbing a dark stairway and you will never know if the 10th step leads you to GC or just to nowhere.
To put this more simply, everyone will have a better idea to plan there careers and life much better if they have the statistics.

a1b2c3
10-11-2008, 02:19 PM

This following blog is excellent and FOIA is a good facility.
http://nixstor.blogspot.com/2008/10/uscis-benefits-information-system-and.html
But we need something more than FOIA. First of all, the user experience is that it took 4 months to get a response.
Secondly, if every one starts filing FOIA (clearly that is not the intent), it will be a chaos.

I think we should push USCIS to publish more data to avoid keeping folks in the dark rather than folks having to ask for it.

We need USCIS to publish
a. Future projections - projection of monthly cutoff dates every quarter
b. Historical data - A histogram of 485 approvals in the last quarter based on PD buckets (May-June 02 would be a bucket).
e.g:
We saw in EB3-I June 07, the cutoff was June 03, but after that it didn't move beyond Nov 01? So how many EB3-I petitions were actually approved after June 07 and what is their breakup by PD buckets?
c. Case updates like NC clearances and so on, without having to go through infopass and waste everyone's time.
d. Better updates on processing times like I-140. Some folks are stuck with I-140 for a long time these days, while others like me got it in a month, after filing for AOS.

optimystic
10-12-2008, 03:30 AM
This following blog is excellent and FOIA is a good facility.
http://nixstor.blogspot.com/2008/10/uscis-benefits-information-system-and.html
But we need something more than FOIA. First of all, the user experience is that it took 4 months to get a response.
Secondly, if every one starts filing FOIA (clearly that is not the intent), it will be a chaos.

I think we should push USCIS to publish more data to avoid keeping folks in the dark rather than folks having to ask for it.

That's what I was trying to get at...

- First I think the best way to 'push USCIS' to publish the data we all want is to go thru a effective official mechanism...i.e FOIA request

- Secondly, based on what Nixstor and others mentioned, USCIS will no longer be able to push such requests under a pile of applications and let it catch dust. So they can no longer delay their responses for months together.

- Thirdly, One high profile, well drafted, well advertised, community (IV) initiated, diligently tracked common(single petition signed by lots of IV members) FOI request is way better than dozens or hunderds of individual FOI requests from individual IV members.
Hence the request for help, leadership and guidance from IV core.

gjoe
02-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Looks like still USCIS is giving out garbage in the name of information and statistical data. Without the correct information we are still planning everything based on our imagination. That could be the reason for so much disagreement amongst us since the level of our imagination are not equal.

sanju
02-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Looks like still USCIS is giving out garbage in the name of information and statistical data. Without the correct information we are still planning everything based on our imagination. That could be the reason for so much disagreement amongst us since the level of our imagination are not equal.

The reason for disagreement among people in this community is because everyone is educated illiterate and wanting and arguing in favor of proviosion that will benefit them first. Someone with PD of Dec-06 in category EB3-I , wanted a bill that will make EB3-I Dec-06 filers current for 1 month, even when EB-3 I Nov-06 is not current. It sounds weired because it is and hecne the term "educated illiterate". So we can pretend that we are all statisticians and for the lack of figures we are not able to arrive at a common decision point, but the fact is, even with all the data/stats/facts available, idiots will continue to be idiots.