PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Limit to the humiliation we can take ?

arnab221
09-27-2008, 07:40 AM
I have been a member of this forum since early 2006 and last weeks Horse discusion for 3 full days keeping just our bill pending was the most humiliation I could take . These people just kick us in the face , beat us to the ground , humiliate us , make things difficult for us time and time again and I am not willing to plead with them again and again . I participated in rallies , wrote letters , e-mails , spent a lot of money of telephone calls for what ? What do those people think of themselves , are they god because they have been born in a different part of the world ? Whats the Treshhold of humiliation a person take just to stay in one country legally?

I am moving out of the Green card race and will return Home after my Visa tenure completes . I thank my company for giving me vaulable American expertise and experience which hopefully I will be able to utilize at home .I would definetly want to a be a Temporary vsitor to this country on Business , and also to meet all my wonderful friends that I have made here during my stay here, but I am not willing to plead with them any more for a Green card . . My Green card story has ended .

Please do not feel that I am trying to discourage others from keeping up the fight , the views expressed entirely convey my personal thoughts .

drirshad
09-27-2008, 10:25 AM
We sure are kicked like trash, no takers for us ......

1. First problem is we not being immigrants they don't need us without any voting power.
2. The business powerhouse that is trying to support us are being kicked back coz of the Latino caucus that has the vote bank to flex and add the relief for illegals the same time.
3. Both Obama & McCain would never do any good for us as they will get into their seat by pleasing the majority that don't want any relief for us.
4. The UCFIS i mean you know, processes cases from 2006 when there are eligible 2003 cases sitting like dead fish.
5. And why are there so many RFE's at the last moment for EB2-India so the case get delayed and the visas are exhausted assigned to ROW cases filed 40 days ago.

I have friends who have immigrated to Canada, Australia, UK, New Zealand, even Germany. Believe me they are happier than us have growing careers and personal life, this no immigration uncertainty in US eats up the peace of your life. But hold on there is still no hope, so linger in this mess and still keep waiting.

p1234
09-27-2008, 10:39 AM
I have been a member of this forum since early 2006 and last weeks Horse discusion for 3 full days keeping just our bill pending was the most humiliation I could take . These people just kick us in the face , beat us to the ground , humiliate us , make things difficult for us time and time again and I am not willing to plead with them again and again . I participated in rallies , wrote letters , e-mails , spent a lot of money of telephone calls for what ? What do those people think of themselves , are they god because they have been born in a different part of the world ? Whats the Treshhold of humiliation a person take just to stay in one country legally?

I am moving out of the Green card race and will return Home after my Visa tenure completes . I thank my company for giving me vaulable American expertise and experience which hopefully I will be able to utilize at home .I would definetly want to a be a Temporary vsitor to this country on Business , and also to meet all my wonderful friends that I have made here during my stay here, but I am not willing to plead with them any more for a Green card . . My Green card story has ended .

Please do not feel that I am trying to discourage others from keeping up the fight , the views expressed entirely convey my personal thoughts .

The more hurt you are, the stronger you get. Your signature says this.
Appreciate the efforts you have put in, but other legal immigration bills have been similarly stalled in the past. Surely there isn't anything that hurts you so much!
Why are you so emotional? Nobody is pleading with anyone, we are asking for more visa numbers to ease out retrogressions. Period.

a2006
09-27-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't think you should take it personal and we are not pleading with anybody. This is part of election year politics and there are a lot of undercurrents going on. Once the election gets over they will have to deal with immigration issues again.

go_guy123
09-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I have been a member of this forum since early 2006 and last weeks Horse discusion for 3 full days keeping just our bill pending was the most humiliation I could take . These people just kick us in the face , beat us to the ground , humiliate us , make things difficult for us time and time again and I am not willing to plead with them again and again .

Well till the point we take the humilitaion..it will continue. There is no shortage of people wanting to come here on H1B and put up
with everything.

The main reason we indians struggle is that we dont use the green card through marriage and therefore EB quota is backlogged. People from other
countries use the marriage based path more often.

meridiani.planum
09-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Well till the point we take the humilitaion..it will continue. There is no shortage of people wanting to come here on H1B and put up
with everything.

I think that hits the nail on the head. There are tons of people in India who would love to take your place if you move from here. They dont mind the years of waiting even if yout ell them about it. So you get frustrated, they come jumping in here, very happy and pleased. stay stuck in the line for 6 years, then get so frustrated, they want to move out, but the next batch is already all ready and eager to come in from india. The cycle continues...

At the 'lower' levels of development, qa and sw engineering there are anyway more positions than as you move up teh corporate pyramid. So as long as one of the 10 engineers sticks around 8 years later to become manager, the company is happy, they dont worry too much that they lost the other 9 because a 'fresh' batch is coming over soon. Moreover the quality of people coming in has also improved dramatically compared to say 2000 (in my field atleast, of software development on Linux)... and they are cheaper to the company too... sad but true tale of this econo-immigration cycle.

go_guy123
09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
but I think a day will come (maybe 10 years from now) when the quality of people and maybe quantity too will decrease / decline. the reason is simple ..many in India are single kids i.e. no brother or sister. ... so many may opt to stay back to be with their parents ..but in the short term -- I agree lot of people want to come here

Yes eventually a day will come. People like me left US and moved to Canada.
In my friend circle a couple of them married US citizens as well.
As indian mentality changes, it will be more common. Eventually it will
work its way out. Poeple will try for UK etc.

As such Canada/Australia/NZ is not good for Service sector professionals
because there are very resource driven eocnomy and there jobs are mainly for Mechanical engineers/Chemical and MIning etc willing to work in Mining industry. Canadiam economy is very mining oriented same with australia and so as IT/Finance professionals it not that great here.

The only reason people prefer Canada is that its back door to US. On TN1 visa canadians can wor in US far more easily than H1B

alterego
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I agree that one way to look at it is that our plight could be considered tantamount to humiliation. However it is a matter of perception. If that is the case in your view then you could make a case for taking a serious look at plan B.
I look at this situation as the US having a schizophrenic thought process toward immigration. To this day US immigration policy is premised on "what they do for family reunification(FB), For the diversity(Lottery), humanity(asylum), and finally for Industry(EB)." Sadly and ironically the last category is the only one that arguably strengthens the country's competitive position but represents less than 15% of immigration. This last fact is truly shocking in a country that prides itself as the capitalistic capitol of the world.
It is pure insanity that policy could render a scenario where up to a million skilled EB immigrants would leave this country with intellectual, economic and cultural capital to compete with US workers in a global economy. Such a scenario is not only possible but increasingly likely the longer this gridlock continues. I would venture a guess that the average EB waiter has waited about 5 yrs for a green card (been in the US for 7 or so), accumulated perhaps an average of 250K in savings, 1/3 of us perhaps own homes, many of us have US born children (about 2/3 per a recent IV poll) and more importantly have enviable skills and contacts accumulated in the USA. It would be the height of folly to end our immigration journey. It serves nothing but to harm this country. Individually we are too small to matter to such a massive country, but collectively it makes a difference. It is quite simply the knowledge that nothing will happen right away, the awareness that US is still a great place to live and that they eventually do tend to get it right that allows this to fester. The current, messy and partisan political climate and America's shock in dealing with a globalizing world, ironically a trend which they themselves have promulgated, that is masking sanity in immigration policy.
In my view, the USA needs to start looking at Immigration policy as something to help themselves, to shore up their entitlement programs, enhance their competitive position in the world, import the cream of the worlds crop etc, that would be explicitly different to their previous view of immigration as charitable, benevolent and humanistic. However that change is needed in their thinking in tomorrows world if they are to stay ahead.

ajay
09-28-2008, 12:01 AM
Arnab,
I would encourage you to stay back since you have put a lot of effort in improving the system so much. I am sure that we would not want to lose such an active member like you from this tree. Please be positive, but I don't know how would you take it.
I wish you all the best in whatever the decision you make.

gc28262
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
I think we are closer to achieving EB immigration reform than before.
Even though HR 5882 is almost dead, it was a dream come true in terms of introduction of such a bill and us having high hopes of its passing.

At least law makers and industry leaders have started recognizing he need for EB based immigration(EB GC). A couple of months back compete America and other organizations were just concerned about H1Bs. Now they have started supporting EB-Green Cards.

With a clean sweep of elections by democrats, I am hopeful of an end to our struggles.

go_guy123
09-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Even though HR 5882 is almost dead, it was a dream come true in terms of introduction of such a bill and us having high hopes of its passing.

At least law makers and industry leaders have started recognizing he need for EB based immigration(EB GC). A couple of months back compete America and other organizations were just concerned about H1Bs. Now they have started supporting EB-Green Cards.

With a clean sweep of elections by democrats, I am hopeful of an end to our struggles.

Democratic party wants the amnesty, most of the past bills were blocked by democratic party. They wont allow anything to pass unless the amnesty is a
part of it

p1234
09-28-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree that one way to look at it is that our plight could be considered tantamount to humiliation.
It is pure insanity that policy could render a scenario where up to a million skilled EB immigrants would leave this country with intellectual, economic and cultural capital to compete with US workers in a global economy. I would venture a guess that the average EB waiter has waited about 5 yrs for a green card (been in the US for 7 or so), accumulated perhaps an average of 250K in savings, 1/3 of us perhaps own homes. It would be the height of folly to end our immigration journey.

A million skilled EB immigrants are not going anywhere!

Going back home:
A million skilled immigrants are well-aware water, electricity, land are an issue back home among others.
A million understand much 250k converts to.
A million know what paychecks to expect home.

Going elsewhere:
How many have actually left and emigrated to other countries due to US immigration issues? Are some ballpark numbers available?

Folks that talk about leaving due to unfair policies are in millions, that have actually left are about a thousand. By the time another tiny fraction gets frustrated and starts to leave, newer EB replacements will come in. Many times over.

Millions of immigrants leaving will rock all the way to the Capitol Hill! It would put an end retrogression, of course without the need to pass immigration bills :). But that's not gonna happen because folks are gonna stay on chasing their "American dreams".

pitha
09-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Please name one democrat (powerful democrats) other than the honorable Lofgren (who was instrumental in reversing the July 2007 Visa bulletin) who is sympathetic to EB immigrants. You will not be able to name one democrat who is good for EB whereas you can name a bunch of democrats who are anti EB immigrants.

Here are a list of (powerful) democrats who are anti EB immigrant
1. Barrack Obama
2. Dick Durbin
3. Kennedy (before people start cruising me for naming Kennedy as anti EB, look at his record, Kennedy likes diversity visa, family reunification, amnesty to illegals but hates EB folks. In fact as bad as the points system was towards Eb folks, the great Kennedy was spinning the points based system as favoring EB folks. Wonder which fantasy world he lives in. I would like to tell him my story (like thousands of others) who came to this country legally, studied here, obeyed all laws, been here for almost 10 years and no where near getting a green card. I guess we earn way too much, to earn his famous compassion.

So why do we need powerful democrats, because the democrats will control congress and we need powerful democrats to either put Eb provisions in CIR bill and introduce amendments. Other than Lofgren in house we have nobody in house or senate from the democratic side who would champion Eb cause, infact the democrats especially Durbin would like nothing more than EB folks thrown out of US. A hostile democratic congress with a hostile obama will spell doom for us.

I am by no means saying republicans are saints but look at past history, the best cir bill for eb folks was the one introduced and passed by republican senate (introduced by republican senato Specter) when the republicans controlled the senate in 2006. That bill was and still is the best the eb folks can hope for. After the democrats took congress in 2007 they reversed everything, eb was thrown to the dogs and illegals rewarded.

I don’t give a damn about democrats or republicans, what I give a damn about is the party who have helped or tried to help us and that is clearly the republican party (at least compared to the democratic party). Why, even knowing this do we blindly trust the Democratic Party.

p1234
09-28-2008, 01:48 PM

With due respect to you, keep dreaming on.

raydon
09-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Please name one democrat (powerful democrats) other than the honorable Lofgren (who was instrumental in reversing the July 2007 Visa bulletin) who is sympathetic to EB immigrants. You will not be able to name one democrat who is good for EB whereas you can name a bunch of democrats who are anti EB immigrants.

Here are a list of (powerful) democrats who are anti EB immigrant
1. Barrack Obama
2. Dick Durbin
3. Kennedy (before people start cruising me for naming Kennedy as anti EB, look at his record, Kennedy likes diversity visa, family reunification, amnesty to illegals but hates EB folks. In fact as bad as the points system was towards Eb folks, the great Kennedy was spinning the points based system as favoring EB folks. Wonder which fantasy world he lives in. I would like to tell him my story (like thousands of others) who came to this country legally, studied here, obeyed all laws, been here for almost 10 years and no where near getting a green card. I guess we earn way too much, to earn his famous compassion.

How about the following Republican luminaries - Steven King, Lamar Smith, Jeff Sessions and not to forget the patron saint of immigrant haters - Tancredo.

pitha
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Donít practice selective editing. Why didnít you reply to my entire post? Here is my rest of the post which you conveniently left out.

I am by no means saying republicans are saints but look at past history, the best cir bill for eb folks was the one introduced and passed by republican senate (introduced by republican senato Specter) when the republicans controlled the senate in 2006. That bill was and still is the best the eb folks can hope for. After the democrats took congress in 2007 they reversed everything, eb was thrown to the dogs and illegals rewarded.

I donít give a damn about democrats or republicans, what I give a damn about is the party who have helped or tried to help us and that is clearly the republican party (at least compared to the democratic party). Why, even knowing this do we blindly trust the Democratic Party.

How about the following Republican luminaries - Steven King, Lamar Smith, Jeff Sessions and not to forget the patron saint of immigrant haters - Tancredo.

gc28262
09-28-2008, 10:00 PM
<quote>
09-28-2008 02:58 PM Looks like you definitely are a newbie !..not knowing what has happened in the legislative front over the past 2 years !
09-28-2008 01:20 PM democratic party is anti eb
</quote>

I received the above red dots for posting on the thread.

My action ? I have already canceled my subscription to IV and don't plan to resume it until some conditions are met. Please see my signature for details.

It is interesting that some members decide to respond in a cowardly fashion using red dot system rather than writing directly on the thread.

gc28262
09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
Democratic party wants the amnesty, most of the past bills were blocked by democratic party. They wont allow anything to pass unless the amnesty is a
part of it

Why should be care about amnesty ? Let them give GC to illegals. That is one of the ways in which the anti-immigrants will be reduced to a minority.

alterego
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
A million skilled EB immigrants are not going anywhere!

Going back home:
A million skilled immigrants are well-aware water, electricity, land are an issue back home among others.
A million understand much 250k converts to.
A million know what paychecks to expect home.

Going elsewhere:
How many have actually left and emigrated to other countries due to US immigration issues? Are some ballpark numbers available?

Folks that talk about leaving due to unfair policies are in millions, that have actually left are about a thousand. By the time another tiny fraction gets frustrated and starts to leave, newer EB replacements will come in. Many times over.

Millions of immigrants leaving will rock all the way to the Capitol Hill! It would put an end retrogression, of course without the need to pass immigration bills :). But that's not gonna happen because folks are gonna stay on chasing their "American dreams".

Anything taken for granted is one day gone.

20 yrs ago, the wage and lifestyle differential between a professional in India and the USA was 100:1. It is still not anywhere near, perhaps 5 or 10:1, but it is closer and closing, especially in certain fields.

You are right today, and perhaps will be for a while yet to come, but don't be so certain in your opinion 20 yrs from now. Things are closing a lot quicker than a lot of folks realise.

If the US continues to take things for granted, they will lose their leadership position sooner than anyone thought. Structural changes are needed, and they need to start thinking about themselves in their immigration policy.

walking_dude
09-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Back to the main question of the thread, the way I see it - we haven't done enough to make our collective voices heard loud and clear on the Capitol Hill. By 'we', I don't refer to the few of us who have been active in all IV campaigns, but the silent majority that is still inactive lost in the dream world of their own make-believe.

Understandly, horses will continue to be discussed before EB immigrants as long as only 100 members call and the rest (thousands) don't bother to make a simple phone call. The day these thousands make the call , believe me, EB immigration bills will get the priority discussion deserved. But as we very well know, that's not going to happen as most of our community are wedded to inaction and then loathe in self-pity.

In a way I feel we deserve the humiliation we are getting for being such a bunch of losers who can't even make a damned phone call!

Green.Tech
09-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Back to the main question of the thread, the way I see it - we haven't done enough to make our collective voices heard loud and clear on the Capitol Hill. By 'we', I don't refer to the few of us who have been active in all IV campaigns, but the silent majority that is still inactive lost in the dream world of their own make-believe.

Understandly, horses will continue to be discussed before EB immigrants as long as only 100 members call and the rest (thousands) don't bother to make a simple phone call. The day these thousands make the call , believe me, EB immigration bills will get the priority discussion deserved. But as we very well know, that's not going to happen as most of our community are wedded to inaction and then loathe in self-pity.

In a way I feel we deserve the humiliation we are getting for being such a bunch of losers who can't even make a damned phone call!

I cannot agree more! The moment we realize that our strength is in numbers, we will get enough visibility to get things going. Until then, I believe we are a lame-duck immigration community.

GCapplicant
09-29-2008, 12:33 PM
See they have made up their mind - They don't see immigration as legal or illegal.They take immigration as family based ,they are not even ready to acknowledge there is group as EB catergory.

Even in case a bill has to be passed they consider illegals for voting as first impression goes for the party who has helped them.

Last year the July Fiasco was a planned drama.They wanted the count for Citizens as well the Future GC's.They knew before that these bills won't work this time...that was the reason for 2 year EAD.

All this time what did Rep consider?Nothing DOL delay ,Back log now this.

If the Dem want illegals amnesty let it be so - Atleast we can have a pleasure of the Anti's.

Infact I really don't feel EB should worry about .He strongly mentions only about the outsourced jobs and is asking the locals to think why their kids are not attaining what the other world kids are enjoying here.

Beleive me It's not only the locals..I know a Indian family settled here for the last 30 years ...In a get together the Indian parents did ask me a question ...How we are working here with Indian qualifications and mentions how her kid had completed BS and whether our standards are equal to her.

She has forgotten ,If not with the Indian qualification How they had come over here?

If illegals can enjoy Dems support well and good - Atleast they will consider us in a corner hopefully.

conchshell
09-29-2008, 12:50 PM
Beleive me It's not only the locals..I know a Indian family settled here for the last 30 years ...In a get together the Indian parents did ask me a question ...How we are working here with Indian qualifications and mentions how her kid had completed BS and whether our standards are equal to her.

She has forgotten ,If not with the Indian qualification How they had come over here?

Please realize that most of the people who came here 30-40 years back were mostly not engineers/doctors. Majority of people came here and worked on minimum wages to build their life piece by piece. Plus, they have no idea about how education has taken shape in India in last couple of decades.

NKR
09-29-2008, 12:57 PM
How we are working here with Indian qualifications and mentions how her kid had completed BS and whether our standards are equal to her.

You should have asked her what she meant when she said BS? :).

GCapplicant
09-29-2008, 01:28 PM
Please realize that most of the people who came here 30-40 years back were mostly not engineers/doctors. Majority of people came here and worked on minimum wages to build their life piece by piece. Plus, they have no idea about how education has taken shape in India in last couple of decades.

Definitely!!! So true.

So its basically an underestimation.

chanduv23
09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
with everything.

The main reason we indians struggle is that we dont use the green card through marriage and therefore EB quota is backlogged. People from other
countries use the marriage based path more often.

While people from other countries use FB system - let us not underestimate Indians - I live in New York City - and the city is full of FB immigrants. Everyone FB immigrant sponsers whoever he/she can - Indians, Chinese, Mexicans etc... Everyone FB based.

Whenever a company says only citizens and GC holders - no h1b please, you will find a bunch of FB immigrants looking for jobs turn up in huge numbers and companies choose among those for jobs, offcourse, we also have GC holders from EB line, but majority is those people

485Mbe4001
09-29-2008, 02:35 PM
Everything impacts us, for example, do you think that USCIS is equipped to handle illegeal GC processing. When 245 (k or i) was approved USCIS took 2-3 years to clear that backlog, you will see the same with July 07 VB processing. Imagine the mess when 12 million people apply..it will affect us.

Many say that clinton passed AC21 and recapture. He signed it. Democrats were opposed to recapture then, the congress and house were republican and they passed the bill.

Now we are at the mercy of CHC and amnesty CIR...how do you think democrats will help us?
I am sure you remember the Pelosi and Reid news conference where they had a 100 day agenda...what happened. This congress has passes the fewest measures, it was all politics for the general election nothing else.

Dont get me wrong, i havent given you any dots. I am just trying to say that people who assume things will be different in a couple of months are mistaken to say the least...IMO.

Why should be care about amnesty ? Let them give GC to illegals. That is one of the ways in which the anti-immigrants will be reduced to a minority.

gc28262
09-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Everything impacts us, for example, do you think that USCIS is equipped to handle illegeal GC processing. When 245 (k or i) was approved USCIS took 2-3 years to clear that backlog, you will see the same with July 07 VB processing. Imagine the mess when 12 million people apply..it will affect us.

Many say that clinton passed AC21 and recapture. He signed it. Democrats were opposed to recapture then, the congress and house were republican and they passed the bill.

Now we are at the mercy of CHC and amnesty CIR...how do you think democrats will help us?
I am sure you remember the Pelosi and Reid news conference where they had a 100 day agenda...what happened. This congress has passes the fewest measures, it was all politics for the general election nothing else.

Dont get me wrong, i haven't given you any dots. I am just trying to say that people who assume things will be different in a couple of months are mistaken to say the least...IMO.

I agree with your points. However how does republicans help us ? See the current situation. Hr 5882 was held up just because of anti-immigrant republicans like Steve King and Lamar Smith. We had support of most democrats and even CHC.

My point is, it is easier to negotiate with democrats than majority of republicans.

thepaew
09-29-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi - I empathize with your decision. Good Luck!