PDA

View Full Version : Passport Renewal @ CGI - NY

pacific
09-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Hi

Has anyone recently renewed passport at Indian Consulate New York? I need to renew my passport and I will really appreciate if I can get answer to some of these questions

1. What application form have you used. Online Application or downloaded pdf? I have been trying to use the online application form from Washington DC web site, since NY website still has the pdf form, but with no success. This is what happens when I use the online application:
a. Open the online application and select "USA CGI NY" as Indian Mission.
b. Fill in all the details and hit "Save".
c. Choose the appointment date and hit "Confirm Appointment. Now according to the website, it should take me to next screen where I can print, Open or Save the PDF rather it reloads the application form with all the values blank. I have tried this several times but same result. Tried different browsers as well. Also if you select the reprint form and fill in the web file number etc , it says could not find it.

2. Has anyone else had the same issue. PLEASE let me know if you know what the solution is or if I should just download the PDF from NY website.
3. What other documents have you send , if you have applied for 485 and also have EAD?

Once again, any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

philly2004
09-17-2008, 09:35 AM
i did it a few years ago in NYC. took my old passport and proof of address (utility bill). I did not carry any US immigraiton documents, but had a valid H1 stamped on old passport at the time.

Check what juridiction you fall under (DC or NY) before you go.

The process by itself was straight forward. I have seen that the Mondays and Fridays are very busy days for the consulate in NY, in case you plan to go in person.

I have known people who have done this via mail without problems, though its too much risk for my comfort level. Also, I live close to NYC to it was easier for me to just walk-in.

hth

pacific
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Thank you. But I am looking for a reply from someone who has done it recently because of the online application rule.

tejonidhi
09-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I recently received a passport extension from NY.

Here is the list of documents that I have submitted them.
1)http://indiacgny.org/appl_forms/Form4.pdf
2)http://indiacgny.org/appl_forms/Form12.pdf
3) my passport copy attested
4)my I 797 copy Attested for H1B( i never told them I applied for AOS)
5)$60 USD Banker cheque.
6)4 photos.

I received my new passport in 1 week signed by sasikumar.

PM me if you need any more information.

webm
09-17-2008, 11:21 AM

5)$60 USD Banker cheque.
6)4 photos.

Did you not filled online as they put the new system in place for filling online forms save and print? Isn't it true??

Also any know which Jurisdiction does Philadelphia falls under NYC or DC?? any ideas??

webm
09-18-2008, 03:37 PM
bump^^^

porasb
09-18-2008, 04:32 PM
i renewed my passport like 2 months back, I am from PA, so if you are from Philadephia, PA you can (not sure need to) to apply in CGI-NYC.

I send in the documents that tejonidhi mentioned above. But instead of

4) my I 797 copy Attested for H1B( i never told them I applied for AOS)

I had used my EAD so I send in a Notarized copy of my current EAD.

Also I did not fill any form online and got it in approx 10 days.

Hope it helps.

tejonidhi
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Did you not filled online as they put the new system in place for filling online forms save and print? Isn't it true??

Also any know which Jurisdiction does Philadelphia falls under NYC or DC?? any ideas??

I am sure that there is no online application as of now for NewYork consulate. There are online forms for Houston and DC( I am aware of it as my friends applied their passports from those two places).

webm
09-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys for responding!!

So i assume no appt needed for CGI-NYC then?

vrbest
09-18-2008, 08:03 PM
We applied for renewal by mail on Sep 8th (I sent it on sept 8th) and we received the new PP today. I sent the EAD copy and H4 copy (notarized) along with the degree copy + application + National interest waiver application. Took 10 days from the day we sent and received. We never expected this from our Indian consulate...
:D

Thanks guys for responding!!

So i assume no appt needed for CGI-NYC then?

webm
09-19-2008, 01:15 PM
We applied for renewal by mail on Sep 8th (I sent it on sept 8th) and we received the new PP today. I sent the EAD copy and H4 copy (notarized) along with the degree copy + application + National interest waiver application. Took 10 days from the day we sent and received. We never expected this from our Indian consulate...
:D

Thanks!!

ireddy
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Last month I renewed my passport from Chicago consulate, after filling in online App and mailing the same dcouemnts as outlined above. We sent it on Monday and got back on Friday.

webm
09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
What are the documents required for walk-in..Are the same documents outlined above?

797 Approval+degree cert copy + application forms+ National interest waiver application+4 photos ..what else??

nashim
09-19-2008, 04:01 PM
What do you mean by degree certificate? Are you talking about Bachelor or master degree certificate? Do we really need to send degree certificate?

vrbest
09-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Atleast Bachelor Degree Certificate if ECNR to be placed on Passport. Otherwise I have seen ECR on passports and then we had to send copy of degree certificate to make it ECNR.

What do you mean by degree certificate? Are you talking about Bachelor or master degree certificate? Do we really need to send degree certificate?

webm
09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the Info..

nashim
10-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I going to send passport renewal application to Consulate General of India New York,

Can some one please let me know?

1) Can I submit 2 inch by 2 inch photo? I am unable to get 3.5 x 3.5 cm photo
2) Do I need to send original passport?

amslonewolf
10-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Not sure, but it should be okay as long as the background is white..

Absolutely. They sent my application back without the passport.

I going to send passport renewal application to Consulate General of India New York,

chunky
10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Try

http://www.epassportphoto.com/

vrbest
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
You can use the same photo used for any USCIS related purpose. it should be fine.
You must send original passport for them to cancel and issue new one.

nashim
10-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks for response.
amslonewolf, did you use 3.5x3.5 cm or 2x2 inch photo?
Has any one used 2x2 inch photo and passport was renewed without any issue? Thanks

vrbest
10-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I had used the photo (2 x 2) which I used for my stamping last year and got the passport in 10 days.

Thanks for response.
amslonewolf, did you use 3.5x3.5 cm or 2x2 inch photo?
Has any one used 2x2 inch photo and passport was renewed without any issue? Thanks

redgreen
10-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't we have to send the original passport also?

5)$60 USD Banker cheque.
6)4 photos.

nashim
10-24-2008, 12:59 PM
I got my passport renewed within 1 week.

I sent documents by USPS on Oct 16, 2008, CGI – NY received it on Oct 17-2008 and I received new passport on Oct 24, 2008. Yes, just 1 week.

I had sent following documents:

1) Form4 – Downloaded from CGI – NY site, saved on personal PC, filled in information, printed and signed it.
2) Form12 - Downloaded from CGI – NY site, saved on personal PC, filled in information, printed and signed it. Note: Name and address of travel agent: I never used any travel agent so I wrote “Did not use travel agent”
3) Original old passport
4) 4 photos ( 2x2 inch) + 2 photos pasted on above forms
5) $60 money order (fee)
6) Old passport copy (First 5 and last 2 pages only)
7) Notarized EAD copy ( status proof).
8) Notarized degree certificate ( for ECNR)
9) Notarized marriage certificate (I wanted to include my spouse name into my new passport, name was not included in old passport)
10) Utility bill (for proof of address in USA)
11) DL copy.

Hope it helps some one who is planning to renew passport at CGI – NY

I wish USCIS can work with same pace, so that we all can get our GC within 6 months :-)
Came to this dream country in 2000 and looks like it will take an other 8 years to get a GC :-(

akhilmahajan
12-25-2008, 12:15 PM
my passport is expiring on August, 2009. Can i get it renewed now or do i need to wait for the date to wait within 6 months of passport expiry.

I will really appreciate if someone can let me know.

GO IV GO. TOGTHER WE CAN.

H1B-GC
12-25-2008, 12:35 PM
August 2009 is pretty long time to apply for Passport Renewal. I applied my Wife's Passport renewal and got it in a week's time from NY Consulate. My Adivise to you is to apply about 45 days before Expiry date unless you are travelling during that time.

ita
12-25-2008, 04:02 PM
No harm applying now. I know people that got renewed a year earlier (not from CGNY of course)
I read on this forum 1 or 2 stories of passport renewal troubles but many cases where it was very smooth and quick. So go ahead and apply anytime that's convenient for you.Sooner the better

nashim
12-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Per CGI NY, you can apply for renewal within one year of expiry date.

ravise
12-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I renewed my passport from CSG-NY when it just entered 1 year before expiry date. No issues, received new one in a week.

akhilmahajan
12-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks a lot for all the replies.
Really appreciate that.

GO IV GO. TOGETHER WE CAN.

akhilmahajan
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Did anyone got their passport renewed from CGI-NY?

Is it for sure that they are only issuing passport for 1 year?
I will really appreciate if someone can share their experience.

GO VI GO. TOGETHER WE CAN

nashim
01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Last month I did it , its for 10 years

vikc
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
I did it in Jan 2009, got it for 10 years.....

also got it back in 5 days

redgreen
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Last month I got my pp for 10 years, in 3 days. I do not have any valid visa stamp (Sent the I-485 receipt with the application).

Cherrymn
02-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I was initially issued pp for 5 years. Last year in '08 when it was expiring, i sent application for renewal of passport based on my EAD. However, instead of renewing it for another 5 years they renewed it 1 year only. When I called the office, they said that they receive tons of pp's like on EAD which can be renewed for a year only.

Did anybody faced this same problem? Can I apply for new passport based on I-485 receipt and would they issue passport for another 5 or 10 years?

Thanks in advance

champu
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
I was initially issued pp for 5 years. Last year in '08 when it was expiring, i sent application for renewal of passport based on my EAD. However, instead of renewing it for another 5 years they renewed it 1 year only. When I called the office, they said that they receive tons of pp's like on EAD which can be renewed for a year only.

Did anybody faced this same problem? Can I apply for new passport based on I-485 receipt and would they issue passport for another 5 or 10 years?

Thanks in advance

What crap is it? What passport has to do with your visa status? Only thing they need know is how come you are outside country.
Looks like CGI milking immigrants USCIS way...

I got it back in 5-7 days for 10 years. Sent CGI San Francisco a letter of appreciation.

Cherrymn
02-18-2009, 11:18 AM
Redgreen, when u renewed ur passport, were you working on EAD? Do you think it would be ok to send I-485 receipt instead of EAD?

Redgreen, when u renewed ur passport, were you working on EAD? Do you think it would be ok to send I-485 receipt instead of EAD?

Cherrymn
02-18-2009, 11:21 AM
What crap is it? What passport has to do with your visa status? Only thing they need know is how come you are outside country.
Looks like CGI milking immigrants USCIS way...

I got it back in 5-7 days for 10 years. Sent CGI San Francisco a letter of appreciation.

Champu, that was exactly my question to the Consulate (what pp renewal has anything to do with ur visa status). Ironically, i got the reply that thats how they do it. Strangely, if I would have used my H1B stamp instead of EAD, I would have got pp renewed for 5 years.

ritu_raj
02-18-2009, 03:29 PM
I just got my passport renewed from CGI- NY today. I got a 10 yrs extention. They just verified my legal status in US. Showed them H1 papers (though I have EAD) for that. It was fast, got it within 4 business days..

natrajs
04-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Did anyone got their passport renewed from CGI-NY?

Is it for sure that they are only issuing passport for 1 year?
I will really appreciate if someone can share their experience.

GO VI GO. TOGETHER WE CAN

Akhilmahajan

I and my wife applied for passport renewal on March 30th, 09 and received the passports on April 9th with a validity of 1 year only. I have Vaild H1 and EAD and I have sent both.

I may go the NYC office in person and check with them

Murthy
04-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Yes they have crap rules.For H4s they give one year extension .For my daughter they gave one year instead of 5 years and my wife (has EAD) and me got 10 year extension .There is no use of argument with them.But they charge full fee $25 (Child fee) for 5 years says next extension no need to pay fee.Last year my family have to travel to India on emergency and I got for 5 year extension in India paying again fee .They didnot accept fee paid in NY .I have shown the receipt also.I thought of writing letter to NY CGI but didn't as I thought to be waste of time.

akhilmahajan
04-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I had got my passport renewed couple of months back and got it for 10 years.

I will suggest you to go and check with them. I remember when i was at the counter, i had asked the lady that how much will be the validity of my passport, and she replied saying we have an internal system to calculate the validity which we cannot disclose.

I will say try to go and talk to them. I hope they talk to you nicely.

GO I/WE GO. TOGETHER WE CAN.

webm
04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I had got my passport renewed couple of months back and got it for 10 years.

I will suggest you to go and check with them. I remember when i was at the counter, i had asked the lady that how much will be the validity of my passport, and she replied saying we have an internal system to calculate the validity which we cannot disclose.

I will say try to go and talk to them. I hope they talk to you nicely.

Do you have any checklist/steps for the passport renewal at CGI-NYC,as i am planning to go in person to submit the forms etc..

TIA,

Neocrack
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
If the proof of legal status (I-94/VISA/EAD) is valid for less than 6 months they generally issue a 1 year Passport. You can take this passport back after a year and get an extension for another 9 years. There is no fee for the extension of a short validity passport.

http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=226&partid=223&sub=sub3

They may have additional criteria for minors.

My mother-in-law was in US last year on Visiting VISA the counsulate issued her a 1 year validity passport.
I applied last month using my EAD as proof of legal status. I got a 10 year validity passport.

deardar
04-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I had mine done at NY-consulate and got it in 10 business days recently in March.

akhilmahajan
04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Do you have any checklist/steps for the passport renewal at CGI-NYC,as i am planning to go in person to submit the forms etc..

TIA,

I submitted the following documents:-
1. Form 4 (Online)
2. Form 12.
3. First 5 pages and Last 2 pages of Old Passport
4. Old Original Passport.
5. Marriage Certificate ( as i wanted to add my wife's names to my passport).
6. Masters certificate for ECR stuff.
7. H-1B Copy
8. I-485 Copy.
9. EAD Copy
10. Drivers License Copy.
11. Utility Bill To proof US Address.
12. 4 Pictures.

I took 4 pictures from AAA and cut it to 2" X 2" and they accepted the pictures. Also they have a booth inside the office, where you can get passport size pictures. Someone also had recommended http://www.epassportphoto.com/ for taking the Passport size photographs.

Regarding all my paperwork, i had everything notarized except the I-485 copy as i dont have the original with me. Also, make sure if you are using H-1B, then it needs to be valid. They check the dates, otherwise use EAD.

Also, make sure you make copies of all the documents you are submitting, especially the old passport.

Hope it helps you, thanks

webm
04-17-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks so much for the checklist Akhil..

Is Form 4 to be filled online or should i print and take it in person?

pls advice.

natrajs
04-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Form # 4 has to be filled online and take a print out and fill the rest of details

webm
04-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Form # 4 has to be filled online and take a print out and fill the rest of details

ok thanks...

neo_ny
11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi - Quick question, did you also need to notarize copies of your old passport even though you were sending in the original in the mail?

I submitted the following documents:-
1. Form 4 (Online)
2. Form 12.
3. First 5 pages and Last 2 pages of Old Passport
4. Old Original Passport.
5. Marriage Certificate ( as i wanted to add my wife's names to my passport).
6. Masters certificate for ECR stuff.
7. H-1B Copy
8. I-485 Copy.
9. EAD Copy
10. Drivers License Copy.
11. Utility Bill To proof US Address.
12. 4 Pictures.

I took 4 pictures from AAA and cut it to 2" X 2" and they accepted the pictures. Also they have a booth inside the office, where you can get passport size pictures. Someone also had recommended Passport photos for free - ePassportPhoto.com (http://www.epassportphoto.com/) for taking the Passport size photographs.

Regarding all my paperwork, i had everything notarized except the I-485 copy as i dont have the original with me. Also, make sure if you are using H-1B, then it needs to be valid. They check the dates, otherwise use EAD.

Also, make sure you make copies of all the documents you are submitting, especially the old passport.

Hope it helps you, thanks

webm
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi - Quick question, did you also need to notarize copies of your old passport even though you were sending in the original in the mail?

Not required...