PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on call campaigns and our approach

ek_bechara
09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
The basic tenet of negotiation is "what are you bringing to the table?". I've been an IV member for sometime now and have participated in call campaigns. Is it just me or does someone else also feels that our line of attack is based on

1) This is injustice (Response from govt services: live with it)
2) Immigration system is broken (Response: Yes we know it)
3) I'm paying taxes (Response: We are providing you a better lifestyle. E.g. 24 hour electricity and running water)
4) I cannot move up the ladder (Response: Not my problem).

Clearly our approach is one of cribbing, crying, and pointing out the inefficiencies within the system. Not to mention we embarrass USCIS and other immigration services by sending flowers.

Let me ask all of you a simple question. How will you feel if someone keeps pointing your mistakes over and over and over again?

When it comes to calling we have a scripted approach which again is border-line begging. Please ask XYZ to support PQR. We shy away from talking about our achievements, or the potential we hold to make great things happen for this country?

I bet many here are sitting on decent savings and many of us can afford to buy homes. Why doesn't the core team talk about about potential to jump-start the housing sector if we were given green cards? I dont know how many of us are waiting. I'm assuming 500K.

Which statement is more impactful?

"We are asking green cards because it is our right, yada, yada, yada"?

"We are willing to contribute as much as we can to allevaite your pain. As an example, many legal immigrants if legalized can buy homes and make other investments. Right now they have their cash stashed away in savings account and the only barrier to investment (starting a business, buying home, investing in second home/real-estate, investing in mutual funds, contributing to 401K, etc, etc.) is complete LEGALIZATION (AKA Green card)"

Please NOTE: DO NOT mention all the above when you call for HR5882. What I've penned are random thoughts which may or may not hold merit. The core team needs to think this over and ONLY THEY have the right to change what we say and how we communicate when we speak to government officials (Senators, Congressmen, etc)

ONCE AGAIN:

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE IT UPON YOURSELF TO CHANGE THE CALL SCRIPT FOR HR 5882. PLEASE WAIT FOR CORE TEAM TO RESPOND.

conchshell
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
ek_baichara, I agree with the views you have mentioned in your post. First, I urge all to participate in the calling campaign. Please note that if we miss this opportunity, then we will have to wait till next president is in. I have seen many new handle's getting active in past one or two months. Wish we could garner support from all these people much earlier. Similarly, still a large number of people are sitting off the fence and just watching the whole situation.

Your post is different because it does not appeal IV core to do something. You have a good suggestion in place ... let people realize that giving green cards will not affect the job market because these people are already working in USA. At the same time highlight the point that it helps housing scenario.

First we need to make sure that we have straight facts. How many people are waiting for their GC? How many of them already have a house? At the same time, we need to think how do we convey this point across. Do we want to run a TV commercial? Do we want to advertise in news papers? Do we want to call congressmen with this message? How do we do this?

bondgoli007
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
ek_baichara, I agree with the views you have mentioned in your post. First, I urge all to participate in the calling campaign. Please note that if we miss this opportunity, then we will have to wait till next president is in. I have seen many new handle's getting active in past one or two months. Wish we could garner support from all these people much earlier. Similarly, still a large number of people are sitting off the fence and just watching the whole situation.

Your post is different because it does not appeal IV core to do something. You have a good suggestion in place ... let people realize that giving green cards will not affect the job market because these people are already working in USA. At the same time highlight the point that it helps housing scenario.

First we need to make sure that we have straight facts. How many people are waiting for their GC? How many of them already have a house? At the same time, we need to think how do we convey this point across. Do we want to run a TV commercial? Do we want to advertise in news papers? Do we want to call congressmen with this message? How do we do this?
Good post and some valid points.

Couple of additions that might make these points more attractive:
1. How can we get some numbers that we can correlate and drive the point home? Maybe do a poll, get a newspaper to publish this, get people interviewed.

2. Are there any folks who might have already thought of such an approach, any suggestions on how to go about this?

We should continue making the calls for now due to the timelines we are working with but good introspection by ek_bechara.