PDA

View Full Version : Why use I-134 for sponsoring B2 visa?

gnutin
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
In the instructions for form I-134, under the section "What is the purpose of this form" it says:

For aliens seeking admission or adjustment as permanent residents as immediate relatives, family-based immigrants, and certain employment based immigrants, as specified in sections 212(a)(4)(C) and 213A of the Act and 8 CFR Part 213a, the petitioning relative must file Form I-864.

Parents or relatives visiting US on B2 visa are non-immigrants but the instructions seem to refer only to immigrants. In the past I have provided form I-134 to help with the B2 visa, but it has never been asked for or seen by the consular officer. So, should we even provide I-134 for our parents and relatives to support their B2 applications? Does anyone actually know of a case where I-134 was requested at the US Consulate for a non-immigrant visa like B2?

gnutin
05-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Bump. I'm sure a lot of us have completed I-134s for our parents visiting on B2 visas. Were they ever asked to show this document? From the from's instructions it seems it is intended only for immigrant visas.

krishmunn
05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Actually the concept of "sponsoring a visitor visa" is flawed. One can never sponsor for a visitor visa. It is best if Visitor has enough financials to support the trip (this establishes that visitor is financially stable -- a plus demonstrating non-immigrant intent).

If visitor does not have the financial resource, simply a letter stating that you will pay for the trip (and proof of your financial resources) is enough.

134 is not a valid legal document.

raj1998
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I-134 is actually affidavit of support. If your parents are coming over on their own means all expenses are paid by them and their lodging is also taken care of by hotel or some arrangement where they have to pay then I-134 is not required. Most cases they don't ask, but is definitely required document is trip is sponsored by some body else.

gnutin
05-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks to raj1998 and krishmunn for your responses.

From reading the instructions for the form and from krishmunn's comments, it seems that I was correct to interpret that I-134 is to be used only for people applying for green cards, not for non-immigrant visas. Even when it is used, its legality and enforceability is questionable.

raj1998, I would really appreciate if you could point me to an official US govt. website that states that I-134 is a "required' document if someone else is sponsoring a non-immigrant visa like B2. I ask this because it would be contradictory to the form's official instructions unless I'm not reading them correctly.

raj1998
05-03-2011, 11:23 AM
while sponsoring one needs to show that he/she is capable for financially supporting their stay, return airfare, for that purpose one needs to fill this (apart from sending other docs like bank statement/pay stubs etc.). having said that it is definitely NOT an required document. Most of the time Visa officer might not ask I-134 at the time of interview

gnutin
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
raj1998, thanks for the clarification.

After reading the instructions, I'm convinced that we are better off just providing a letter and financial information to back it up instead of filing a document that seems to be intended for immigrants and may not even be legally enforceable. I have filled it in the past but it was never requested and I have not heard of a single case where the officer asked for it.

abhishek101
05-03-2011, 01:30 PM
As Raj said there is no harm in sending the I-134.

Usually it is good for your parents to show financial assets in home country so that visa processing is smooth (showing the roots), and if they show the financial assets the counsulate should not ask for the I-134, but it is just a good idea to have it as a backup just in case.

raj1998
05-26-2011, 08:12 AM
I recently sponsored my parents, During visa interview they were never asked I-134, though I sent them. just in case..