PDA

View Full Version : Advice required : Green Card Process for My Parents by a lawful permanent resident?

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Hello,

i am lawful permanent resident. I want to bring my parents here permanently. I got nobody in India to take care of my parents.

When i was small, my parents took care of me. When i need them, they are their for me.

Now my parents need me. But i am not their for them. I feel very guilty and sad. I want to bring my parents in US. So i can take care of them.

How can i bring my parents permanently.
I know, i can bring them after i get citizenship, that is too long wait.

i just want to bring them now. So they can have good life with me. Anybody know, how can i bring them in US soon.

i saw some petition signed by many Indians for this request. Can somebody please go forward with this.
Current president will understand our request and help us. He is very nice and kind person. He loves family and his mother in law lives with his family. He knows values of grand parents.

Indians live with family, that makes Indian family stronger and less divorce. And Indian kids are well taken care by grand parents. So they are well behaved and best kids.

We need this permission. Please work together and get this permission.

I read this in a website. Is this possible? I want to explore all possible steps.

Please help.
God bless you.

Green Card for Parents - Sponsoring Parents for Green Card

Green Card Process for My Parents (Mother, Father)
An immigrant (also called a "lawful permanent resident" and Green Card holder) is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. Your parents (mother, father) must go through a multi-step process to obtain a Green Card and become an immigrant. First, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve an immigrant petition that you file for your parents. Second, the State Department must give your parents an immigrant visa number, even if they are already in the United States. Third, if your parents are already in the United States legally, they may apply to adjust to permanent resident status. If they are outside the United States, they will be notified to go to the local U.S. Consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa (Green Card).

snathan
04-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Hello,

i am lawful permanent resident. I want to bring my parents here permanently. I got nobody in India to take care of my parents.

When i was small, my parents took care of me. When i need them, they are their for me.

Now my parents need me. But i am not their for them. I feel very guilty and sad. I want to bring my parents in US. So i can take care of them.

i just want to bring them now. So they can have good life with me. Anybody know, how can i bring them in US soon.

i saw some petition signed by many Indians for this request. Can somebody please go forward with this.
Current president will understand our request and help us. He is very nice and kind person. He loves family and his mother in law lives with his family. He knows values of grand parents.

Indians live with family, that makes Indian family stronger and less divorce. And Indian kids are well taken care by grand parents. So they are well behaved and best kids.

I read this in a website. Is this possible? I want to explore all possible steps.

Please help.
God bless you.

An immigrant (also called a "lawful permanent resident" and Green Card holder) is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of living and working permanently in the United States. Your parents (mother, father) must go through a multi-step process to obtain a Green Card and become an immigrant. First, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must approve an immigrant petition that you file for your parents. Second, the State Department must give your parents an immigrant visa number, even if they are already in the United States. Third, if your parents are already in the United States legally, they may apply to adjust to permanent resident status. If they are outside the United States, they will be notified to go to the local U.S. Consulate to complete the processing for an immigrant visa (Green Card).

:rolleyes: :D

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 01:51 PM
As a temporary measure you could have them apply for visitor visas.

Both my parents got approved for 10 year visitor visas...it allows them to stay here 6 months at a time...they just need to go back every 5 and 1/2 months to ensure they don't overstay the 6 months. This way they can stay with you most of the year.

Ofcourse if they are too old this may not be feasible as flying 21+ hours is no joke

sachuin23
04-21-2011, 01:54 PM
A Quick Question.

Can parents stay here for 5 1/2 months go back for say a month or two and come back again for 5 1\2 months? Would this pattern be suspected during visa renewal?

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
A Quick Question.

Can parents stay here for 5 1/2 months go back for say a month or two and come back again for 5 1\2 months? Would this pattern be suspected during visa renewal?

if its a 10 year visa...i doubt there should be a concern about visa renewal.
Hopefully in 10 years you have GC and USC :)
But to answer your question...as long as you are not overstaying the 6 months there should be no legal issues. Ofcourse there is no such guarantee as it is upto the visa issuing officer's discretion

sachuin23
04-21-2011, 02:20 PM
if its a 10 year visa...i doubt there should be a concern about visa renewal.
Hopefully in 10 years you have GC and USC :)
But to answer your question...as long as you are not overstaying the 6 months there should be no legal issues. Ofcourse there is no such guarantee as it is upto the visa issuing officer's discretion

Thanks ! Thats what I thought , but wanted to confirm with senior members.

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 02:35 PM

i am not senior...but we do have free attorney conference calls on thurdays
We might miss a thursday or so ...we are in the process of making it more regular
But you can certainly ask this question over there and confirm it with the immigration attorney.

SKR07
04-21-2011, 02:43 PM
If you stay 6 months everytime and stay shorter durations in home country, then it might create problem at POE.

Michael chertoff
04-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Hello,

Please help.
God bless you.

you really want to take care of your parents or you are just looking for baby sitters.

MC

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
thanks bugsbunny

they are doing that now...
i become very sad every time i send them back to india....they don't want to leave me.....

i want them to stay with me forever.

6 moths shuttle too hard for them.

Michael chertoff
04-21-2011, 02:49 PM
A Quick Question.

No problem, my parents are doing this from last four years. Six months here and six months in India.

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 02:49 PM
thanks Michael chertoff

Not baby sitter. I want to take care of my parents.

it is part of our culture, we all live together forever.

Canadian_Dream
04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
That's not correct. Such frequent reentry after exit will certainly lead to suspicion by an Immigration office at PoE. In fact the intent of 10 year visitor visa is not 10 years of permanent residence. If there is no convincing reason for such frequent reentry you are mostly likely looking at serious interrogation or deportation at the airport. There is no substitute for a GC for your parents if you want them to be with you permanently in the US. Visitor visa has a specific purpose and intent, abusing it could put your folks serious trouble. The other issue with such long term stay on Visitor Visa is - medical insurance - unfortunately there is no good, reliable and comprehensive medical insurance that covers elderly visitors on short trip.

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 02:53 PM
thanks Michael chertoff

well then since its such a problem that they come and go so frequently, have you considered to move back home and go to US every few months to keep the greencard?? Why are you making them travel so frequently so that you can stay with them ??

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 02:57 PM
That's not correct. Such frequent reentry after exit will certainly lead to suspicion by an Immigration office at PoE. In fact the intent of 10 year visitor visa is not 10 years of permanent residence. If there is no convincing reason for such frequent reentry you are mostly likely looking at serious interrogation or deportation at the airport. There is no substitute for a GC for your parents if you want them to be with you permanently in the US. Visitor visa has a specific purpose and intent, abusing it could put your folks serious trouble. The other issue with such long term stay on Visitor Visa is - medical insurance - unfortunately there is no good, reliable and comprehensive medical insurance that covers elderly visitors on short trip.

Health insurance is not an issue these days as there are several indian firms covering it for foreign travel

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Why not parents have a different category... not B2. maybe P1/P2

B2 is tourist visa. Parents are not tourist.

We are here because of our good parents. Forgetting them is most disrespect we do in life.
If we don't care our parents, when we become older(parents) how will our kids will care us?.

Research are proving...if we live together as family like in olden days...many health issues will disappear...everybody will be happy, no stress.

We need to go back to older family system. Now we are proving...green is better. food is medicine. So why not staying together with parents is not good?. This lead us to have a strong long lasting life.

Canadian_Dream
04-21-2011, 03:05 PM
Hmm, What part of the words "Good, Reliable and Comprehensive" you did not understand.
Health insurance is not an issue these days as there are several indian firms covering it for foreign travel

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:05 PM

We are here because of our good parents. Forgetting them is most disrespect we do in life.
If we don't care our parents, when we become older(parents) how will our kids will care us?.

Research are proving...if we live together as family like in olden days...many health issues will disappear...everybody will be happy, no stress.

We need to go back to older family system. Now we are proving...green is better. food is medicine. So why not staying together with parents is not good?. This lead us to have a strong long lasting life.

again, you can give your greencard to one of us millions waiting and you can go back home and lead a no-stress life :D

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
A Quick Question.

sachuin23...don't do this...they can revoke your parents 10 year visa and they need to go and get visa again..this is too much stress on parents.

i know, my friend's parents did this...while entering they were held for many many hours. Finally they got entry permit and told them for 1 year, they are not suppose to enter back again. If they do, visa will be revoked.

Michael chertoff
04-21-2011, 03:06 PM
thanks Michael chertoff

why dont you go back to home and live with them. keep visiting US to maintain your GC,.

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:07 PM
This issue about parents falls under the "family re-unification" issue to a certain extent.
It affects everyone not just EB category. There is a huge support behind this issue from many different immigrant groups.

Canadian_Dream
04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
The onus lies on you to do the needful not US Government or IV. I have known people who left their well established career to take care of their folks. You are looking for the solution to your problem on this message board, however you need not look this far. Enough said.

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Hmm, What part of the words "Good, Reliable and Comprehensive" you did not understand.

lol no need to get aggressive...next time search for better insurance ;)

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:14 PM
The onus lies on you to do the needful not US Government or IV. I have known people who left their well established career to take care of their folks. You are looking for the solution to your problem on this message board, however you need not look this far. Enough said.

Exactly! This person is making her parents go back and forth every six months, but wont consider moving back home and post such stupid questions and asks why don't create a new visa category?? Ask her if she will go meet lawmakers for this??

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Exactly! This person is making her parents go back and forth every six months, but wont consider moving back home and post such stupid questions and asks why don't create a new visa category?? Ask her if she will go meet lawmakers for this??

Please watch your language. Its a valid question. If you and your spouse have good jobs here and children are in school....moving back to support your parents may not be so feasible both economically and also for many other reasons. If you don't have useful and helpful suggestions to relieve the problem then please refrain from making attacks and have respect for others. you don't fully know or understand the person's circumstances

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
also if one spouse's parents are here...its not easy to move back purely for the other spouse's parents

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
After reading the OP, I was rotf...I dont know why you guys are discussing it very seriously.

I recommend immigration 101 for the OP.

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
Dear Friends,

Please stay together....we will get this permission.

If our parents stay in US, US economy will improved. We will be buying health insurance and food for them.
We will stop sending money to our native country. All money we earned will be spend here. We will be travelling more. Shopping more. etc.
This will help to improve US economy. I want to see US become super country like how it was when Bill Clinton was president.

We have a great present now. I was impressed by his speech about family value and raising kids together as family. I am sure, we will get help from him.

You know, How J2 visa holder got permission to work in US. A person fight for it and got it for many.

Don't bother about a negative persons comments here.

If we stay together, we will get this permission. Anyway, after you become citizen you got that permission. We can request gov to give permission to GC holders too.

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
Dear Friends,

If our parents stay in US, US economy will improved. We will be buying health insurance and food for them.
We will stop sending money to our native country. All money we earned will be spend here. We will be travelling more. Shopping more. etc.
This will help to improve US economy. I want to see US become super country like how it was when Bill Clinton was president.

We have a great present now. I was impressed by his speech about family value and raising kids together as family. I am sure, we will get help from him.

You know, How J2 visa holder got permission to work in US. A person fight for it and got it for many.

Don't bother about a negative persons comments here.

If we stay together, we will get this permission. Anyway, after you become citizen you got that permission. We can request gov to give permission to GC holders too.

Please call the White house and talk to President directly...May be we should be able to get this done by May 1st. Keep us updated.

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
After reading the OP, I was rotf...I dont know why you guys are discussing it very seriously.

its amazing to see senior members laugh at other people's problems

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Please watch your language. Its a valid question. If you and your spouse have good jobs here and children are in school....moving back to support your parents may not be so feasible both economically and also for many other reasons. If you don't have useful and helpful suggestions to relieve the problem then please refrain from making attacks and have respect for others. you don't fully know or understand the person's circumstances

There was nothing wrong with my language! What was her question ?? Lobby for the new visa category?? Is she willing to go lobby or donate ?? This is her second post in this forum..., I asked her, why not move back?? Did she give a reason ?? If her circumstances are that bad, then start a movement!! Has she offered any solutions??

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Please call the White house and talk to President directly...May be we should be able to get this done by May 1st. Keep us updated.

wow and the mocking continues...

extra_mint
04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
u mean ur parents r babysitters for last 4 years....I hope this teaches to keep ur mouth shut calling other's parents baby sitters.

No problem, my parents are doing this from last four years. Six months here and six months in India.

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
why dont you go back to home and live with them. keep visiting US to maintain your GC,.

I heard famous indian crab stroy....are you that crab.

Please be positive. Please support our request.

US is a great country. Always value human values more than any other country.

I love US. That is why i am here.

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:26 PM
wow and the mocking continues...

Either the OP is posting for time pass or need to read the Immigration for Dummies...

belmontboy
04-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Dear Friends,

Permission?
LOL

sachuin23
04-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Exactly! It was a honest and sincere question which required honest answers. And this thread was dragged to totally non relevant direction. We all need to be collected and be try not to digress while answering.

Thanks every one for answering my concern :)

belmontboy

Whoa, the same old crab story is back.

You sound like someone who knows the proceedings here very well.
New members wouldnot know the crab story

Did you create a new ID for having fun??

sorcerer666

ofcourse US is a great country! and because YOU love US, you are making your parents travel so much! SO you love US more than your parents, enough said!!

bugsbunny
Either the OP is posting for time pass or need to read the Immigration for Dummies...

ahhh i assume you have read Immigration for Dummies...good for you. Unfortunately we are not all as knowledgeable. If you feel its time pass there is no need to reply. But laughing and mocking is not needed

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
here is health insurance info...

http://www..com/
sevencorners.com

Insurance | Travel Insurance, Health Insurance, Car Insurance, ICICI (http://www.icicilombard.com/)

hthworldwide.com

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
here is health insurance info...

.com
sevencorners.com

icicilombard.com

hthworldwide.com

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:34 PM

You will have to decide between your Parents and the US...which one you love the most.

shx
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Why should only GC holders get this 'permission'? F1, J1, L1 and H1 people should also be able to get their parents. Also, add all their dependents, H4, L4(??) whatever. We can all live as a big family then. Or, just pack up and go back to India.

Its ridiculous to hear people saying that they like to live in the US because of human values here, but then talk about Indian values. Please make up your mind. It's not just my family, my siblings, my whatever..... Think outside 'your' little world.

vinzak
04-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Honestly though, OP's proposed law would get much more congressional support than EB reform.

If first you gave amnesty, and then allowed ppl to sponsor their parents on a GC, the illegal immigrant lobby would be very very happy.

belmontboy
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Why should only GC holders get this 'permission'? F1, J1, L1 and H1 people should also be able to get their parents. Also, add all their dependents, H4, L4(??) whatever. We can all live as a big family then. Or, just pack up and go back to India.

Its ridiculous to hear people saying that they like to live in the US because of human values here, but then talk about Indian values. Please make up your mind. It's not just my family, my siblings, my whatever..... Think outside 'your' little world.

Well said

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM

well said!!

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:38 PM
there was a signed petition for this...i lost the link.
anybody knows the link?

Michael chertoff
04-21-2011, 03:44 PM
u mean ur parents r babysitters for last 4 years....I hope this teaches to keep ur mouth shut calling other's parents baby sitters.

Mother fucker I am not married and I dont have kids.

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:44 PM
LMAO... can't stop laughing!!!!! I will simply say "speak for yourself" and leave it at that

gk_2000,
no need to stop laughing....ur loving kids will be laughing more loud than yours in future, when you become old.

if you have no parents...or no good parents...please don't post stupid comments.

i know, all honest people will support this.

this is not new...i saw a website for this....which was signed by 100's 1000's people...could not find it now.

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Honestly though, OP's proposed law would get much more congressional support than EB reform.

If first you gave amnesty, and then allowed ppl to sponsor their parents on a GC, the illegal immigrant lobby would be very very happy.

True, but the OP isn't proposing a law, if you read the first post, she is asking for permission :D with this kind of knowledge, such things will die in her inbox!

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:46 PM
well said!!

GC people is closer to citizenship and closer to get this permission.

Visa is not permanent.

Sree Swathi
04-21-2011, 03:47 PM
True, but the OP isn't proposing a law, if you read the first post, she is asking for permission :D with this kind of knowledge, such things will die in her inbox!

Yes. a law will be good.

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
gk_2000,
no need to stop laughing....ur loving kids will be laughing more loud than yours in future, when you become old.

if you have no parents...or no good parents...please don't post stupid comments.

this is not new...i saw a website for this....which was signed by 100's 1000's people...could not find it now.

May be all moved back to home country.........:D

bugsbunny
04-21-2011, 03:48 PM

My friend you use sarcasm all the time :)...some even in bad taste :rolleyes:...what happened to MC sense of humor :)

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM
gk_2000,

See, I respect your cause and support you. But what you are saying here is just your "opinion".

As a rule I never attack anyone's opinions, as long as they dont try to masquerade as facts

belmontboy
04-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Visa is not permanent.

Permission again???

LOL

snathan
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes. a law will be good.

On a serious note...before talking about a law, research a little about the immigraiton system and the difficulties.

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Yes. a law will be good.

yes now go do some research about how a proposal becomes a law! Signing a petition doesn't go anywhere, its just one of the many steps to influence the lawmakers.
On your other post, your comments are the stupidest ever! So please research before saying other peoples comments stupid :P

sorcerer666
04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
gk_2000,

all honest people will support what??

snathan
04-21-2011, 04:01 PM

huh...Now I understand why you are after PlainSpeak...Good luck.

But if she already have kids...you will become a baby sitter. What
a strange world though...:D:D:D

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 04:06 PM
huh...Now I understand why you are after PlainSpeak...Good luck.

But if she already has kids...you will become a baby sitter. What
a strange world though...:D:D:D

Dont worry, I am sure, being the feminist he is, he wont mind :)

snathan
04-21-2011, 04:08 PM

Whether we like it or not...this is a reality. I have had a neighbor where both the husband wife was working. They brought their parents every year... because it was cheaper than Day Care.

But they didnt bother to drive Benz and BMW.

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Whether we like it or not...this is a reality.

Have to agree.. there are many threads that complain that parents B1 got rejected when they said they were going to see newborn grandchild

belmontboy
04-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Whether we like it or not...this is a reality. I have had a neighbor where both the husband wife was working. They brought their parents every year... because it was cheaper than Day Care.

But they didnt bother to drive Benz and BMW.

True, have seen many folks do the same.
Though their pride says no. Not sure what's so shameful in that :)

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 04:21 PM
To OP: Why didn't you add your parents to your GC application as your dependents? Check if you can do so now..?

belmontboy
04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
To OP: Why didn't you add your parents to your GC application as your dependents? Check if you can do so now..?

This is not IT returns :) to do so

snathan
04-21-2011, 04:23 PM

I believe its only for spouse and unmarried kids under 21.

ascetic
04-21-2011, 04:29 PM

And I thought I should give the forum website a visit in the afternoon during my tea break to see in what sort of disarray it is in. Not surprised, I am not surprised. :(

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
And I thought I should give the forum website a visit in the afternoon during my tea break to see in what sort of disarray it in. Not surprised, I am not surprised. :(

It's all frustration... sometimes GC frustration, and sometimes sexual

shx
04-21-2011, 04:59 PM

Visa is not permanent.

So what is it now? Since GC people are closer to getting citizenship, they deserve to bring their parents? Or, the parents of GC holders are more deserving to come to the US?

You said those of us with bad parents don't need to comment. What happens to bad parents of citizens and very good parents of H1Bs? Where do they stand?

Why do you think GC is permanent and a visa is not? There are people on this forum who have been on H1B 'visa' for more than 10 years and counting. We should at least let them bring their parents, don't you think? Or should they instead go back to India?

Next time, I want you to think seriously about the issues I brought up and then post a reply. LOL. I feel like I'm talking to a kid.

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 05:16 PM
I notice the OP has disappeared. Hope it was not an anti's bait!

Michael chertoff
04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Dont worry, I am sure, being the feminist he is, he wont mind :)

I dont disrespect females...anything wrong with that?

gk_2000
04-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I dont disrespect females...anything wrong with that?

Did I say that you disrespect females? I dont think so. But what gave you that idea?

Sreeshankar
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Very loving and affectionate humanitarian thoughts..I fully support this cause.
It is not only a moral obligation, but also the Dharma or duty to protect and serve our parents in their sage and elderly age. Gratefulness is a virtue. Shared living and togetherness improves mental health, and builds capacity and strength to face life. Also, One doesnot have to depend on alcohol, antidepressants and anti anxiety drugs for escaping stress - instead can depend on parents for comfort, emotional stability and love.

Interestingly when you say that research proves food is medicine, these days modern medicine including scientists from Top research universities and labs are turning back to Ayurveda to change the composition of Immune system and blood in body - to fight against HIV, TB and other diseases (google it up, you will find many programs including holistic approaches) - going back the time tested herbal way, that has been validated for over 5000 years.
Ofcourse, the Irony is that we cannot request for amendment of law to provide for these allowance, unless we are citizens, but I am sure if many citizens and others in other visa categories like us, could possibly request for extended stay for an year or two atleast on a temp basis for parents. May be it will get noticed if we opt to pay an Alluring Premium fee that can convert this option in to economic gains for USCIS and American firms (Insurance etc) , which can help to gain the required traction and optimum action.
thanks..and God Bless.
Sree