PDA

View Full Version : Non Co-operation Movement

cvrnr
07-29-2008, 01:54 PM
For all those people who are waiting for the GC

decide on a date.
all the pepole who are aiting for their gc skip their work on that the day.stop all activities on that day (shopping..... etc)
and let the people know how difficult it would be to live without you.....

jonty_11
07-29-2008, 02:07 PM
impact will be close to nothing..

Of all the ~200K or so people stuck in the muck....only about 30K are members of this site...from that 30 K I am not sure how many will participate...even with a 30K number it will be hard to make heads turn....so lets concentrate on IV initiatives instead.

dontcareanymore
07-29-2008, 02:30 PM
Don't understand why you have reds all over. Granted , this is the craziest idea and has 0 in a million chance.

But your other post is a $100 contribution. You are better than most. At least contributed some money :)

bondgoli007
07-29-2008, 02:34 PM

decide on a date.
all the pepole who are aiting for their gc skip their work on that the day.stop all activities on that day (shopping..... etc)
Hi CVRNR,

Your idea is not bad at all but as jonty put in...without numbers it is not possible to make any noticible effect. Plus, I think most of our employers (HR level) already know of the GC issue and not showing up for work might put out immediete managers/colleagues to difficulty and not really impact the upper mgmt.

Still, good thinking out of the box, you should continue to put out ideas like this. Also, check with IV core, they can also guide you if something is feasible.

All the best!

conchshell
07-29-2008, 02:41 PM

decide on a date.

The only person who gets mad with this non-cooperation will be your better half :D But at the same time he/she will come to know how difficult it would be to live without you :D:D

kondur_007
07-29-2008, 04:17 PM
The only person who gets mad with this non-cooperation will be your better half :D But at the same time he/she will come to know how difficult it would be to live without you :D:D

Good one...:D:D

truthinspector
07-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I am not sure if this will have noticeable effect. I was wondering about getting letters from our respective supervisors ( director's, VP's ) addressed to local senators (or pertinent authorities). I am not sure if this has been contemplated in the past. In my personal experience , I have found a great deal of sympathy and concern from my supervisors towards the GC delay. I am sure , if I request a letter on a corporate letterhead, I would get one. Question is , would that make a substantial noise? Thoughts anyone? Does it sound practical?

decide on a date.

eb3_nepa
07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Here is why this may be a bad idea.

1) Things like non co-operation are counter productive. You are punishing your employer for injustice that you are facing while dealing with Government organizations. Your employer (in most cases) is not the one holding your green card back, the USCIS/DHS/DOS is, based on demand v/s supply.

2) Non co-operation is the right of citizens which we are not. I know we are referring to when Gandhiji successfully executed non co-operation, but the MAJOR difference was the numbers and the fact that non co-operation was done by Indians IN INDIA.

3) The I.T in this country is not run SOLELY by immigrants. In my current and previous companies atleast I have seen that at times, I am the ONLY one on an H1B. In such cases, if the HR/supervisor is not sympathetic towards that cause, the employee could face DIRE consequences, as he/she is almost "on strike" and that too in a minority. In my opinion, even if ALL 200K immigrants did it for a couple of days, it would have almost a zero impact.

Lastly, getting every single immigrant to participate in such an event is not just a Herculean but an IMPOSSIBLE effort.

This issues has been discussed a lot of times over the years, just in case you are new to IV. On the flip side, please stop giving "red dots" to this user, just coz he suggested something.

malaGCPahije
07-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Don't understand why you have reds all over. Granted , this is the craziest idea and has 0 in a million chance.

But your other post is a $100 contribution. You are better than most. At least contributed some money :)

donating $ 5 ?? Easier than skipping a day at the job !!

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20183

sroyc
07-29-2008, 05:45 PM
First of all skipping work citing this as a reason might get you fired. Are you prepared to become out of status?

As others have suggested, it's unlikely that we'll be able to make a significant dent in the GDP by not buying. Even if we do and the economy gets worse as a result, people are going to lose jobs, which is not in our best interest. I think we should spend more to boost the economy so that our employers don't have to cut jobs.

decide on a date.

vallabhu
07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I like the flower campaign like things better than this, I think Flower campaing like idea will definetly bring some attention.

jayleno
07-29-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree to do Non Co-opertation to your proposed "Movement".

decide on a date.

abhisec
07-29-2008, 06:37 PM
I like the flower campaign like things better than this, I think Flower campaing like idea will definetly bring some attention.

Hey I'm up for a flower campaign to NSC and TSC :D

How about we target Labor Day weekend? :cool:

eb3_nepa
07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Yeah it might be a good time to start another "Flower campaign". The only question is, who do we send flowers to?

My suggestion is to send flowers to the CHC members to keep opposing our provisions.

abhisec
07-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah it might be a good time to start another "Flower campaign". The only question is, who do we send flowers to?

My suggestion is to send flowers to the CHC members to keep opposing our provisions.

NSC and TSC

conchshell
07-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Flower campaign was a good idea but lets not repeat it every now and then. At IV we have this itch to run the campaigns every other week without doing any preparation. Campaigns end up with not much participation, and we end up making mockery of ourselves. I would not recommend a campaign unless IV Core officially comes up with the idea.

sheela
07-29-2008, 07:29 PM

decide on a date.
all the pepole who are waiting for their gc skip their work on that the day.stop all activities on that day (shopping..... etc)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am reposting from 'a day-off' proposal discussed few months back. Please, be aware in this country NO BODY has heard of/appreciates strikes, dharnas/hartals or even black badges. These things backfire. Protests in civilised ways are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheela
It may sound strange but this is true. During our doctoral studies at a top ranking institue in India, our association decided to protest by 'working-round-the-clock'. This was noticed by one and all-including press, appreciated by faculty and peers. Believe me, settled many of our long lasting genunine demands. We many need to think this kind of more effective means of protests as it gets sympathy, attention and hurts none.

i love it!
it was the similar uniqueness of the flower campaign that made it so effective. a "strike" or "day off" are same old stuff, now working 24/7- how refreshing :-)

ps i often do anyway so maybe i'm more willing than other

eb3_nepa
07-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Flower campaign was a good idea but lets not repeat it every now and then. At IV we have this itch to run the campaigns every other week without doing any preparation. Campaigns end up with not much participation, and we end up making mockery of ourselves. I would not recommend a campaign unless IV Core officially comes up with the idea.

conchshell,

The IV core does not always come up with all the ideas. They are open to suggestions from individual members. They then discuss the suggestions amongst themselves and with their legal counsel and if all seems well, they launch.

Unless we give out ideas, how will the IV core have a chance to say yay or nay to it? Since this organization is a grass roots organization, we cannot expect them to come up with all the ideas.

However I do agree to your comments on, there being too many campaigns and too little participation in each of them. I also agree that a second flower campaign should be core member approved.

conchshell
07-29-2008, 07:57 PM
conchshell,

The IV core does not always come up with all the ideas. They are open to suggestions from individual members. They then discuss the suggestions amongst themselves and with their legal counsel and if all seems well, they launch.

Unless we give out ideas, how will the IV core have a chance to say yay or nay to it? Since this organization is a grass roots organization, we cannot expect them to come up with all the ideas.

However I do agree to your comments on, there being too many campaigns and too little participation in each of them. I also agree that a second flower campaign should be core member approved.

eb3_nepa, I agree with your observation that in many cases, members come up with the campaign ideas and then IV Core later on support the idea. So there is nothing wrong with touting our member base for a campaign. I was merely pointing to the fact that we need a "process" before we start a campaign. This is just to ensure that we do not haphazardly start the campaign, just like we did on couple of occasions in the past. Also, Flower Campaign is known to be a "Brahamastra" (ultimate weapon) in our arsenal. We must use it judiciously.

eb3_nepa
07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
eb3_nepa, I agree with your observation that in many cases, members come up with the campaign ideas and then IV Core later on support the idea. So there is nothing wrong with touting our member base for a campaign. I was merely pointing to the fact that we need a "process" before we start a campaign. This is just to ensure that we do not haphazardly start the campaign, just like we did on couple of occasions in the past. Also, Flower Campaign is known to be a "Brahamastra" (ultimate weapon) in our arsenal. We must use it judiciously.

Conchshell, I think we are both saying the same thing, just differently. The current process IS to start a campaign and then if it takes off and there is enough participation, then the core team gets a better feel for things. Secondly sometimes campaigns are spearheaded by non-core members and even seen all the way to fruition (or ruin ;) ) as the case may be.

Now I want to point out that i am NOT a core/board member.

About the "Brahamastra" comment, right now we are in SERIOUS need for a "Brahamastra". Legislation wise nothing much has worked this year, except a few admin fixes.