PDA

View Full Version : EB3 to EB2 category change

sachisdis
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi,
Im from India and joined the company 4 years back as Programmer/Analyst. I have an Bachelors in Computer Science (3 Yrs) + MCA (3 Yrs) and experience of 4 years & 8 months before joining the company. The company field for GC under EB3, priority date: November 2008 and I-140 approved date: November 2009.

With nearing 9 years of experience company promoted me to Sr. Programmer/Analyst consultant and is ready to file the case in EB2.

My question:
1. My priority date from EB3 is November 6, 2008. So after approval of fresh labor for EB2, can the new I-140 for EB2 be filed with the old priority date of EB3 ?
2. Can the same company hold two I-140 for the same employee? That is keep the EB3 I-140 active and apply for EB2 I-140 till the EB2 clears/approves ?
3. The designation & job duties can be the same as that of EB3 or need to be changed.

Thanks in advance!

snathan
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi,
Im from India and joined the company 4 years back as Programmer/Analyst. I have an Bachelors in Computer Science (3 Yrs) + MCA (3 Yrs) and experience of 4 years & 8 months before joining the company. The company field for GC under EB3, priority date: November 2008 and I-140 approved date: November 2009.

With nearing 9 years of experience company promoted me to Sr. Programmer/Analyst consultant and is ready to file the case in EB2.

My question:
1. My priority date from EB3 is November 6, 2008. So after approval of fresh labor for EB2, can the new I-140 for EB2 be filed with the old priority date of EB3 ?
2. Can the same company hold two I-140 for the same employee? That is keep the EB3 I-140 active and apply for EB2 I-140 till the EB2 clears/approves ?
3. The designation & job duties can be the same as that of EB3 or need to be changed.

Thanks in advance!

1. You cannot use the experience gained from the current employer...
2. You need to have MS+2 or Bachlor+5 years progressive experience before joining your current employer. You are short of 4 months for 5 years progressive experience and definitely USCIS will not appcept.
3. Also you will have tough time, if you PERM requires bachlor and you do not have four years single source degree. So its importent what the requirement on the PERM is.

So I am seeing you are going to have tough time to get EB2. But you will get the PERM approved and will face issues during I-140.

boston_gc
02-23-2011, 10:53 PM
I am not sure if BS (3 yrs) + MCA is considered to be equivalent to MS or not. But if it is, then you can definitely file for EB2 (MS +0). However, your company will need to have a job that requires these qualifications.

Also, I am not sure why you couldn't use the experience gained with your employer. If the job description is at least 50% different than your EB3 job, you can certainly use the experience gained at your current employer.

I am also planning to file under EB2 using the experience gained with current employer. However, I have been concerned about possible audit. Nonetheless, when I asked the audit question (in a different thread), couple of folks shared their personal experience who had gotten approval (using experience gained at same employer) without any audit.

Has anyone seen a case where someone got audited for using the experience gained with the same employer? I think this will be a useful information for several others as well...

snathan
02-23-2011, 11:07 PM
I am not sure if BS (3 yrs) + MCA is considered to be equivalent to MS or not. But if it is, then you can definitely file for EB2 (MS +0). However, your company will need to have a job that requires these qualifications.

Also, I am not sure why you couldn't use the experience gained with your employer. If the job description is at least 50% different than your EB3 job, you can certainly use the experience gained at your current employer.

I am also planning to file under EB2 using the experience gained with current employer. However, I have been concerned about possible audit. Nonetheless, when I asked the audit question (in a different thread), couple of folks shared their personal experience who had gotten approval (using experience gained at same employer) without any audit.

Has anyone seen a case where someone got audited for using the experience gained with the same employer? I think this will be a useful information for several others as well...

Why dont you ask this question in a free attorney's call.

HRPRO
02-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Sorry Bostongc

I am certain you cannot count expeience gained from your current employer even if you are applying for another position. All attorneys are aware of this and will advice you not to do.

Sorry for not being able to give an answer in the affirmative but that is the fact.

PlainSpeak
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi,

My question:

Thanks in advance!

For clarification .....

Which company do you work? I only ask because i thought Programmer/Analyst and Sr Programmer/Analyst are only eligible for EB3. I was one more step ahead Apps Dev Cons (which is a system manager postion) and that was also consIdered EB3

Edison99
02-24-2011, 11:23 AM
snathan,
I-140 related to Company's potential to pay his salary not sachisdis qualifications; if he clear Perm EB2 ride then he is all set. Please clarify your concern…

1. You cannot use the experience gained from the current employer...
2. You need to have MS+2 or Bachlor+5 years progressive experience before joining your current employer. You are short of 4 months for 5 years progressive experience and definitely USCIS will not appcept.
3. Also you will have tough time, if you PERM requires bachlor and you do not have four years single source degree. So its importent what the requirement on the PERM is.

So I am seeing you are going to have tough time to get EB2. But you will get the PERM approved and will face issues during I-140.

snathan
02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
snathan,
I-140 related to Company's potential to pay his salary not sachisdis qualifications; if he clear Perm EB2 ride then he is all set. Please clarify your concern…

no...education also checked during I-140. Just google 3 years degree and I-140 issues. Most of the time the PERM is gettting approval and only during the I-140 process people are facing issues.