PDA

View Full Version : How to keep kids in status

GCplease
06-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Please advise.

We filed for I-485 last July and me and my wife are on EAD and so, that should keep us in status. My son's H4 is valid till 10/2008. How will he be in status after that, because he can't get a EAD, being a kid. should I renew my H1 so that his H4 can be renewed. I hope this is not the case.

anyone else in this situation ?

kaisersose
06-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Please advise.

We filed for I-485 last July and me and my wife are on EAD and so, that should keep us in status. My son's H4 is valid till 10/2008. How will he be in status after that, because he can't get a EAD, being a kid. should I renew my H1 so that his H4 can be renewed. I hope this is not the case.

anyone else in this situation ?

EAD is not a status like the H visa.

Your correct status is pending AOS, as is the status of your family. Proof of this status is the 485 receipt. That is all they need to legally stay inside the US. If they travel out of the country, they will need APs to return.

GCplease
06-17-2008, 04:48 PM
EAD is not a status like the H visa.

Your correct status is pending AOS, as is the status of your family. Proof of this status is the 485 receipt. That is all they need to legally stay inside the US. If they travel out of the country, they will need APs to return.

Perfect. Thanks kaiserrose.

kaisersose
06-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Perfect. Thanks kaiserrose.

Just so you know, it is possible to get EADs for kids of any age, something I did not know when I applied for 485. A one time EAD can be helpful to get them their SSNs.

When it is time to renew my son's AP, I will apply for his EAD too and use it to get his SSN.

Reason is, laws are getting stricter and they may impose more rules in future which will require them to have SSNs. Like the recent stimulus payment, for example. Better to solve the problem by spending $300 now than to lose more later.

sbvw76
06-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm in the same boat and didn't apply EAD for my son? How to apply now.could you pl. post any links which has instruction?

Dhundhun
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm in the same boat and didn't apply EAD for my son? How to apply now.could you pl. post any links which has instruction?

This link might be helpful http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18737