PDA

View Full Version : Read this story of an old man...

cleopatra
02-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Read the following two stories.

Story 1

Imagine this. You are old. You are talking to your grandson in your native tongue about the need to utilize an opportunity when it presents itself. You say to him, who is listening with great interest.

"You should always look out for opportunities for it does not present itself explicitly except very few times. When you see it, you should grab it and use it for your to benefit from it.

I will tell you about some things that happened in my life so you can relate to it. I had this dream of settling in America. I had good job, good pay, nice family and generally a pleasant life.

After a few years, I liked the way of life and wanted it to continue forever. But I could not continue this unless I get this thing called greencard, which let me stay for as long as I wanted and work anywhere I wanted. In those days due to many reasons and problems it was very difficult to get one. But I was patient and kept waiting.

There were a group of people who wanted to get together and solve the problems so that the wait time is eliminated. They knew how to get a solution to my problems of getting the greencard sooner. But they needed help from everyone like me so that we could get solve our problems.

At one point, they wanted people like me to go to the capital and talk to different people who had the power to solve our problems. This would help them understand the issues faced by people like me and help address them.

But at that time, I had other things to do and knew that there are others who would chip in and work together and solve this problem.

But nothing changed.

There was no end in sight and eventually what was a pleasant life started turning bad due to various rules being enacted to push people like me away. They succeeded and I left America.

After I had to leave america, I came back to this country and had a decent life. But I still liked my life in america and I wanted to live there. But I could not achieve that dream.

When I thought about what went wrong, I realized that the reason is I did not see the opportunity that presented itself to me - To join others and work together to resolve my problems.

I thought someone else would do the work. Maybe others thought the same way too. So eventually there was not a huge crowd explaining our problems. So it was not seen as a serious issue and so nothing was addressed.

When I think back now, if I had seen the opportunity and united with others like me, I would have got what I wanted.

So realize this. Always look for opportunity. When it presents itself, grab it and use it and do what is necessary to reap the benefits. You will not regret it."

cleopatra
02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Story 2

Imagine this. You are old. You are talking to your grandson in your native tongue about the need to utilize an opportunity when it presents itself. You say to him, who is listening with great interest.

"You should always look out for opportunities for it does not present itself explicitly except very few times. When you see it, you should grab it and use it for your to benefit from it.

I will tell you about some things that happened in my life so you can relate to it. I had this dream of settling in America. I had good job, good pay, nice family and generally a pleasant life.

After a few years, I liked the way of life and wanted it to continue forever. But I could not continue this unless I get this thing called greencard, which let me stay for as long as I wanted and work anywhere I wanted. In those days due to many reasons and problems it was very difficult to get one. But I was patient and kept waiting.

There were a group of people who wanted to get together and solve the problems so that the wait time is eliminated. They knew how to get a solution to my problems of getting the greencard sooner. But they needed help from everyone like me so that we could get solve our problems.

At one point, they wanted people like me to go to the capital and talk to different people who had the power to solve our problems. This would help them understand the issues faced by people like me and help address them.

But at that time, I had other things to do and knew that there are others who would chip in and work together and solve this problem.

But then I realized, this green card was very dear to me and I had waited patiently to get it. If I do not work towards something that I wanted, who would?

So I participated completely and did as much as I could to help myself. Our group suceeded and I got my green card. I could continue living the life and dream I wanted.

When I think back about what went right, I realize now that the reason is I saw the opportunity that presented itself to me - To join others and work together to resolve my problems and grabbed the opportunity and utilized it to my benefit.

Thinking back, it was actually a no brainer. Once I realized that if I did not do something, nothing was going to change, I started participating. I guess others also thought of it the same way.

So there was a big crowd in the capital and we explained our problems. It was a sizable number of people explaining the problems. Others who could not make it to the capital contributed in other ways for the event.

So our problems were recognized and addressed. I got my greencard and later citizenship of this great country. Remember, it was not an easy journey, but once I decided to participate and resolve the problems, it became easy.

It was a pain to wait for my green card. But once I started participating and working towards the solution and I guess others must have also thought similarly, I was able to get what I wanted.

So realize this. Always look for opportunity. When it presents itself, grab it and use it and do what is necessary to reap the benefits. You will not regret it."

Which of the above stories do you want to be in?

Be active. Participate.

sukhwinderd
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
but how do we know it reaches everyone waiting for GC. i think people active on IV are willing to contribute in one way or another, but we are unable to spread the message across EB community. as someone suggested, we need to send email to everyone registered on IV website and ask them to contribute in whichever way they can.

cleopatra
02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
You are right. We need to get this to everyone who is waiting for GC.

But Instead of focussing on getting this to everyone, can you focus on getting just two people to participate in this event?

Even if only a few of us do this, this will spread like wildfire by itself. We can make this event a grand success and get what we want.

Spread the word. Participate.

chanduv23
02-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Back in 2007, we did a lot of PR work, we pleaded, begged, motivated, requested ... we kept on doing it consistently.

There is a lot of work that needs to be done. The active folks must motivate the passive folks.

tonyHK12
03-17-2011, 09:49 PM
@chanduv23 - Yes it does look like this is needed, for people to realize that, this is the only way they can get their own Green card on time!

Looking for good motivators, for people, to make them campaign for their own benefit............I know it sounds strange

Members - IV is not going to benefit as much as you, by doing the Advocacy days

Only 15 days left. This is our last chance until late 2013, or even later, with the presidential elections.

Enforcement is increasing and it will get worse. As you may know H1 and H4s are getting a lot of 221(g), GC applications are getting RFEs.

This is a critical time to show that we are valuable to the economy and contribute and create jobs. We have to improve our position, desperately - whether its H1b or Green Card.

THE ONLY WAY IS ADVOCACY.

PS: This must really hurt the anti-immigrants. you can play with the reds all you want, but its not changing anything.

ravi98
03-18-2011, 11:45 AM
3 days of active work or countless years of waiting....

you have vacation time, use it to get your green card faster.....

you have money, donate to the advocacy fund, or sponsor a friend.....

you are curious, but not sure what to do, decide now - time is running out.......

you have no idea what the advocacy is all about, ask a question here.....

Work to get the change you want instead of reacting to adverse immigration laws that affect you.....

Be pro-active rather than re-active.

chikna
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Somehow it does relates to me. I am a 50 year old man now. Spent 13 years already and going nowhere. I repeat again still on H1B for 13 years and sent H1B papers for another 3 years extension. Could not file I-485 and who knows when?

floridasun
07-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Somehow it does relates to me. I am a 50 year old man now. Spent 13 years already and going nowhere. I repeat again still on H1B for 13 years and sent H1B papers for another 3 years extension. Could not file I-485 and who knows when?

sorry but you are not kidding, are you ? I think you are much closer to the 401k no-penalty retirement age of 59 1/2 than most of us here. If its not personal, can I ask if you explored family-based green card (if you have US citizen kid) ? On a lighter note, most of us on EB-3 may also end up in 50's or later before we get GC too :-)

Goodintentions
07-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Dear All,

Several months ago I had pleaded with everyone to atleast start writing mass letters (not emails), made some templates on various subjects related to our cause and sent it to some of our friends. Yes, some did write me back, but on the whole may be about 50 people showed interest! If this is the way we are going to work together, then I have nothing to comment.

There are many people who have children nearing or in high school already. Many do not realize the serious fact that children WILL NOT be eligible for local resident tuition fees if they do not have a Green Card. In fact I wrote several letters to the lawmakers stating that it is not fair to deny a person the benefit of local tuition fee after tey have paid taxes for about 10 years! I did get some response from a few lawmakers who just empathized our situation but said that they could do nothing. No one can educate their chidldren paying about 50,000 US dollars a year. In which case they will be forced to move their families away! All legislations are only directed at helping the illegals and their children. How many of us realize all this?

Do you know that there are a no. of corporate projects in high school which are ONLY open to children of GC parents? It is essential to participate in such projects to get into good colleges. Did all of us come here and work os hard to educate our kids in county colleges? Think....there are a number of other important things that we will all be missing out, just because we do not have a GC. GC is not simply getting the freedom to change jobs.

Now the Senate has again introduced the CIR . Given below are the details. Will we all atleast unite now?

=========
Senate Democrats Introduce Comprehensive Immigration Reform Bill
June 24, 2011
Executive Summary
The recently-introduced Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2011 would create a commission on employment-based immigration, recapture unused immigrant visas from previous years, require employers to participate in a national employment eligibility verification system and create a path to permanent residence for certain undocumented foreign nationals. The bill would also affirm that immigration is a federal responsibility and curb the ability of states and local governments to enact their own immigration laws.

Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) has introduced the Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2011, a bill that would overhaul the U.S. immigration system. Among other provisions, the bill would make numerous changes to the employment- and family-based immigration programs and enhance the employment eligibility verification obligations of employers, as well as broadly prohibit state and local governments from enacting their own immigration laws. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), Judiciary Committee Chair Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Majority Whip Richard Durbin (D-IL), Immigration Subcommittee Chair Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Foreign Affairs Committee Chair John Kerry (D-MA) are co-sponsors of the bill.

The bill is the first substantive comprehensive reform initiative introduced in the Senate this year and is likely to serve as a starting point for that body's action on immigration.

=======================

May the SUPREME POWER bless the Legal Immigrant Community!!!

chikna
07-04-2011, 10:43 PM
You may hear that “immigration reform is dead” in the 112th Congress. But in reality, it is very much alive. It will just probably happen in pieces, not “comprehensively.”

A trend for new bipartisan immigration policy is emerging that focuses on two immigration issues: granting more green cards to educated immigrants and increasing internal enforcement.

President Obama advocated for educated immigrants in his State of the Union Speech on Jan. 25 and again on the Texas border on May 4. He spoke about the need to give automatic green cards to foreign students who earned advanced degrees in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) fields. It has become known as the STAPLE (Stopping Trained in America Ph.D.s from Leaving the Economy) Act......

Read more...Link (http://www.dailycal.org/2011/07/04/there-are-still-ways-for-immigration-reform-to-pass-nationally/)

waitingnwaiting
07-05-2011, 09:11 AM
You may hear that “immigration reform is dead” in the 112th Congress. But in reality, it is very much alive. It will just probably happen in pieces, not “comprehensively.”

A trend for new bipartisan immigration policy is emerging that focuses on two immigration issues: granting more green cards to educated immigrants and increasing internal enforcement.

President Obama advocated for educated immigrants in his State of the Union Speech on Jan. 25 and again on the Texas border on May 4. He spoke about the need to give automatic green cards to foreign students who earned advanced degrees in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) fields. It has become known as the STAPLE (Stopping Trained in America Ph.D.s from Leaving the Economy) Act......

Read more...Link (http://www.dailycal.org/2011/07/04/there-are-still-ways-for-immigration-reform-to-pass-nationally/)

Why do you want CIR?
How about just one recapture bill?

sorcerer666
07-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Oh you are the one who didn't go home to even see his mother during her last days??

Goodintentions
07-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Hi friends..how can I start a new thread here...may be this is not the correct place, but please apologize..cheers