PDA

View Full Version : Dr Kalam Frisked - Shame on Continental Airlines

santa123
07-21-2009, 02:56 PM
This is sad.

fullstory (http://ptinews.com/news/186049_Kalam-frisked-at-IGI-airport-by-US-airlines-staff)

Another atrocity in the name of security. So far we, common people have been through this very often, but to do this to an Indian diplomat is heights. Dr Kalam afterall is a nice soul, beyond the material world, politics, greed, etc and as a former President of the largest democracy in the world he deserves due respect.

I strongly condemn this disrespectful action by Continental Airlines.:mad:

I wish to see Bush or Clinton frisked or even strip searched by Air India (!) at New York sometime in the future.:D

freedom_fighter
07-21-2009, 03:03 PM
I think these days every body in the name of national security, all these employed by the govt. or airline wants to harass anyone.

But what am I thinking ? wishful, the corrupt politicians of India wont do anything like that.

The shame is a foreign airline, frisking Dr. Kalam at homeland airport.

gauravsh
07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
That is shameful. I have traveled by continental in april and after security check before entering the plan continental does a security check again. I have brought a water bottle for my kid after security check (as we do here in usa) and they didn't allowed me that to carry it even empty. Worse they provide water in cups and if you urgently need water or need it regularly you have to wait, till a attendant get time to get water to you. Also since its direct 15 hour flight its very uncomfertable without water espacially for elders and kids.

I will think 10 times before flying with them again especially now when they have disrespected person like Kalamji who is also ex-president of largest democracy of world..

Amma
07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Looks like in the name of security , they can do whatever they want.

I don't know whether Indian government will do the same treatment for any other foreign dignitaries visiting India.

Nothing but power of arrogance.

DSLStart
07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
How come the issue was not raised by our (weak) PM / EAM when madame Hillary Clinton was in India for a 3 day visit? If she didn't apologize, even she sould have been strip searched by Indian airport security personnel before entering her plane...

chanduv23
07-21-2009, 03:33 PM
The latest is - an FIR has been filed against against Continental and congress is going to pursue strongly into this (Source TV9 telugu news on dish network)

It is high time that something is done against these kindof atrocities

rick_rajvanshi
07-21-2009, 03:39 PM
How come the issue was not raised by our (weak) PM / EAM when madame Hillary Clinton was in India for a 3 day visit? If she didn't apologize, even she sould have been strip searched by Indian airport security personnel before entering her plane...

Why was this not raised by him or his staff on the spot on the day incident happened ( April 21 ). Why did he himself not refuse to board the Continental and chose from so many others flying out of IGI. He is not President anymore and 1 day delay in his schedule would not caused a major issue. Guess its all in our nature now - get humiliated and not to make noise.

lskreddy
07-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Think about it this way -- the greatness of Kalam is in his humility. After his Presidency, he feels he is a common man and was not going to make a hue and cry for what seems like a normal procedure for the rest of us.

For all those who want to jump on me, yes, it is a serious violation of protocol. If Continental demonstrated the same rigor when one of its own ex-presidents travel and issue a statement such as the one they have given, they'd be up for praise.

I am surprised not because he was frisked, but at the act of choosing him to be frisked. Don't ex-presidents have a platoon of protocol officers with him? It seems like the blame has to be shared by both the government and the airline.

What would truly be worst is that he was 'signalled for a random inspection' just because he is a Muslim.

vivid_bharti
07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
I have travelled to New Delhi on the Direct Flight from Newark 4 time in last 3 years...Everytime I travel with them I vow not to travel with them again...
Cabin Crew competes with the ground staff for rudeness.
Bad food, bad service and bad crew is what continental provides it's customers.....But why I travel with them and will travel again ?
Non-Stop to New Delhi in 15 Hrs and beautiful arrival & Departures timings...

matrixneo
07-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I always prefer to travel by Asian airlines, I feel they are far better in service.

dontcareanymore
07-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Although it is a breach of protocol , I guess there is no need to get worked out here. In all probability the people who frisked Mr. Kalam are Desis. I think it is ignorance of the people at work at best.

See below :

"A spokeswoman for Continental Airlines Inc. defended the search as a "normal security procedure," according to the Press Trust of India news agency. "There is no special rule for VIPs ... This is the process the airline adheres to," the spokeswoman identified only as Aparna was quoted as saying."

Aparna is Soo dumb.............

piyu7444
07-21-2009, 06:57 PM
The latest is - an FIR has been filed against against Continental and congress is going to pursue strongly into this (Source TV9 telugu news on dish network)

It is high time that something is done against these kindof atrocities

Indian Politicians should wake up. If India would have tried to do something like this with EX US Pres then the entire ''developed world'' would have been crying. I dont expect other countries to make noise for India but India alone can do a lot.

FIR alone wont suffice. It has to be on diplomatic level, airline should be fined and even told that they will be kicked out of India unless they come out with a apology. When ministers can call for all those ''ulta pulta BANDH'' in Indian state for political mileage they can do something similar (not destructive to nation) to show how mean and short-sighted act was this from Continentals. If these parties who want muslim votes cant help Mr Kalam how would they help any minority in India.

My first reaction was - What the ..........!!!

vactorboy29
07-21-2009, 07:06 PM
NEW DELHI -- The Indian government threatened Tuesday to take action against Continental Airlines after it emerged that former President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was frisked before boarding a flight to the United States.

Associated Press

In this Jan. 19, 2008 file photo, Former Indian President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam smiles during a function in Bangalore, India.
The Indian Parliament was in an uproar, with lawmakers condemning it as an "outrageous incident."

Officials said protocol exempts VIPs from such searches.

But Mr. Kalam, who was in office from 2002 to 2007 and is well-liked for his unassuming ways and his habit of mingling with the crowd after speeches, subjected himself to the search at New Delhi's international airport without complaint, said an official who works in his office.

The incident happened in April but was reported by local television networks for the first time Tuesday. The official, who did not want to be identified because he is not authorized to speak to the media, said he did not know why it has become news now.

Airport security personnel and police did not search Mr. Kalam, but airline personnel stopped him just before boarding, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel told Parliament.

The former president was made to remove his shoes and the contents of his pockets, and a hand-held metal detector was run over his body.

"This act of frisking the former president .. is absolutely unpardonable and beyond the scope of the laws of our country," Mr. Patel told Parliament, adding that his ministry will take the "most stringent action" allowed by law against the airline. He did not give details.

He said Continental violated a government order on protocol for dignitaries, saying airlines are given a list of VIPs who should be exempt from searches.

Laurent Recoura, Continental's senior country director in charge of India, said the frisking was done because it had to follow the rules of the Transportation Security Administration/U.S. Department of Homeland Security for all carriers flying to the U.S.

"TSA requirements impose a final security check in the aerobridge just before boarding the aircraft," he said. "This procedure is followed by all carriers flying to the U.S. from most of the countries in the world, and there is no exemption to this rule."

enthu999
07-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I travelled in the same flight as Madeleine Albright former secretary of state, security personnel in Hong Kong checked all her personal baggage same as the way they checked for other passengers..

Green_Always
07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Air India didnt had tickets ? or didnt he get ticket in AI ?

Being Indian Politician he should have travelled by AI I think.

pcs
07-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Let us all boycott Continental ( Fly AMERICAN ) untill their CEO says SORRY...

They should try to frisk Pope or Reagan ( if he were alive ) ... and see what happens

I bet these guys knew, who he was at the time of frisking as you got to ultimate moron NOT to know him.

Can some smart IT guy set up a link so that we can load the mail box of continental CEO.. ????

We really need to tell Continental that they better treat their most paying customers with some respect....

nousername
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
I have lot of respect for Dr. Kalam and this was a sad situation BUT what does this has to do with US immigration??? This question goes to ADMIN 2.. Also Mr. ADMIN 2 how in the world this thread is not been moved to back pages like the one you did just few weeks back?

This is sad.

fullstory (http://ptinews.com/news/186049_Kalam-frisked-at-IGI-airport-by-US-airlines-staff)

Another atrocity in the name of security. So far we, common people have been through this very often, but to do this to an Indian diplomat is heights. Dr Kalam afterall is a nice soul, beyond the material world, politics, greed, etc and as a former President of the largest democracy in the world he deserves due respect.

I strongly condemn this disrespectful action by Continental Airlines.:mad:

I wish to see Bush or Clinton frisked or even strip searched by Air India (!) at New York sometime in the future.:D

santa123
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
I have lot of respect for Dr. Kalam and this was a sad situation BUT what does this has to do with US immigration??? This question goes to ADMIN 2.. Also Mr. ADMIN 2 how in the world this thread is not been moved to back pages like the one you did just few weeks back?

This is one of the examples of how some of us are treated in the name of security, even the former President of India has now been humiliated.

Probably, you do not know about Dr. Kalam. I would like to quote a small story about this great person and then you decide for yourself as to whether this is an important thread or not. Also, pls stop looking at everything from an immigration perspective and IV is surely a place for discussing these matters too.

Once, Dr. Kalam's personal secretary (some Nayar or Menon) in one of the interviews said that, one morning Dr. Kalam called him and told him to take care of a leak in the ceiling in his bedroom in Rastrapathi Bhavan. Dr. Kalam told his PS that he did not wanted to disturb him late in the night and hence he slept in the couch the whole night without any problems and called in the morning. The PS was shell shocked without any doubt.

Such is the greatness of Dr. Kalam and I have never heard of anyone like this.

santa123
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Let us all boycott Continental ( Fly AMERICAN ) untill their CEO says SORRY...

They should try to frisk Pope or Reagan ( if he were alive ) ... and see what happens

I bet these guys knew, who he was at the time of frisking as you got to ultimate moron NOT to know him.

Can some smart IT guy set up a link so that we can load the mail box of continental CEO.. ????

We really need to tell Continental that they better treat their most paying customers with some respect....

I just sent out an email to the following addresses demanding a sincere apology to Dr. Kalam from the top mgmt at continental:

InvestorRelationsdept@coair.com (Investor Relations)
custo@coair.com (All other matters)

Here are their names:

Larry Kellner
Chairman and CEO

Jeffery Smisek
President and COO

Jim Compton
Executive Vice President Marketing

Mark Moran
Executive Vice President Operations

Zane Rowe
Executive Vice President and CFO

memyselfandus
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Dr. Kalam being a such a respected person and we all can trust him. In fact he took the whole aspect of frisking in much humbler manner.

Usually the VIPs and VVIPS are the reason India is in such bad state (corruption and spies) and hence no body should be exempt from security search. You never know if a VIP is under pressure to commit some stupidity/serious security lapse.

I think we as citizens of the world should make some broader rules and everybody should respect, as Dr. Kalam did. If he had no objections then why we all should behave childish...

bestofall
07-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Guys .,

I have high respect for our Hon ex president. I admired him for his service to our Nation.
Security people might have done some thing wrong at Airport. Just because it is US airlines ., let us not make much issue on that.

They have done some thing that was asked to do in the manual.

since this system is more transparency to people .. so that is the reason we are in this forum.

Why 2 lakh waiting to immigrate to this Country if we are all treated badly ?

Every day in our nation Protocol for common citizen is breached on daily basis dont we know that . why we are not worried. ?

What happened to Ms Rita Bahuguna, for just making one bad statement her house was burnt , an she was in Jail in no time ...where is the human rights ...

How many times Our respected MP s behaved badly with AIRLINE STAFF .. did we all make noise at that time .. we take is part of the society.

How many times Flight have to wait for our respected POLITICIAN to come

Let us focus all our energy on our goals .....

seahawks
07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Air India didnt had tickets ? or didnt he get ticket in AI ?

Being Indian Politician he should have travelled by AI I think.

you must be kidding right? My wife traveled in Air India and she had a terrible time that I dont have to explain, some flights are like new but it is a hit or miss. I wish the government would privatize it and run it as a corporation. I would love to travel by AI if they respect their passengers and maintain a high level of service and keep their aircrafts clean

immvoice
07-22-2009, 02:33 AM
It vindicates time and again that some people on this planet are really born dumb. The folks at Continental Airlines fall into this category. May be evolution is supposed to create some people like this.

santa123
07-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Finally, Continental apologises for frisking Dr. Kalam

Continental apologises for frisking Kalam - India - NEWS - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/Continental-apologises-for-frisking-Kalam/articleshow/4805958.cms)

Peace!

mundada
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
In fact we should proud that our security system does not distinguish between VIPs and common man.

How do we know that any former or current VIP is not a double agent or a terrorist? About 144 current MPs had/have grave crime registered against them.

I am now going to prefer Continental because they showed that they treat all the passengers same and they take their security seriously.

Finally, whenever something goes against a "neta" (leader)... he and every other leader (to score some brownie points) will say "honor of nation is diminished", "honor of honorable leader is demolished", "shame for nation", "our great tradition of honoring elders is crushed"...

Okay I am translating these Hindi dialogues into English but still the question is whether we want to choose between "following and equally applying laws" and "one of the above cliches"?

gimme_GC2006
07-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Finally, Continental apologises for frisking Dr. Kalam

Continental apologises for frisking Kalam - India - NEWS - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/NEWS/India/Continental-apologises-for-frisking-Kalam/articleshow/4805958.cms)

Peace!

well..that doesnt change a bit..it has become habit for western corporates.

put hindu gods/dieties on shoes or whereever..get free advertisement and latter throw a towel of apologies..
and now kalam..I consider it stupidity and shameless act..dont giver a damn about rules they are talking about.

All these years continental was my choice of flight in domestic us as Delta was not my choice due to their bad service..but now I am not flying continental any more :mad:

ksircar
07-22-2009, 12:51 PM
In fact we should proud that our security system does not distinguish between VIPs and common man.

How do we know that any former or current VIP is not a double agent or a terrorist? About 144 current MPs had/have grave crime registered against them.

I am now going to prefer Continental because they showed that they treat all the passengers same and they take their security seriously.

Finally, whenever something goes against a "neta" (leader)... he and every other leader (to score some brownie points) will say "honor of nation is diminished", "honor of honorable leader is demolished", "shame for nation", "our great tradition of honoring elders is crushed"...

Okay I am translating these Hindi dialogues into English but still the question is whether we want to choose between "following and equally applying laws" and "one of the above cliches"?

If Bush flies Continental from JFK to Delhi, will Continental apply the same sort of security checks to Bush at JFK?

gcwait_07
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Why is this such a big deal ? When has India become a one man state that searching one insults all ? This itself signifies the differences between India and US. Here people take pride in being treated like a normal person, where as in India even a idiot wants special treatment.

Indian security apparatus in the airports is a BIG JOKE, Anyone who travels through airports here in the US will notice the difference of searching or the casualness of it in India. Wonder why all these airlines have a second security check in the first place ?

So according to the WSJ article, some people in india due to some stupid protocol are not even searched ? thats the most scary thing to come out of this story.

Kalam never complained, but our usual worthless idiot politicians decide to invoke national pride and make some hungama and we all fall for it like a bunch of sheep.Continental should be applauded for treating everyone equally.

All those people who try to say do this a former US prez, did you know US prez loses his Secret service cover after 10 years out of office....when has that happened in India ? One family in particular continues to have it irrespective of whether they are in power or not ...how many ex- PM's have it for life or even MP's and MLA's ? All this in a country where there is very little security for the avg citizen ....and we complain about about equal treatment and invoke former US prez ?

Here in US common man is not interrupted every time a prez wants to do something or go somewhere....in India its like the common man doesnt even exist even for MP's/MLA' and Ministers leave alone PM

psaxena
07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
After thinking 10 times, 11th time you will buy the ticket when you get a deal and fly..
right?

That is shameful. I have traveled by continental in april and after security check before entering the plan continental does a security check again. I have brought a water bottle for my kid after security check (as we do here in usa) and they didn't allowed me that to carry it even empty. Worse they provide water in cups and if you urgently need water or need it regularly you have to wait, till a attendant get time to get water to you. Also since its direct 15 hour flight its very uncomfertable without water espacially for elders and kids.

I will think 10 times before flying with them again especially now when they have disrespected person like Kalamji who is also ex-president of largest democracy of world..

deepak
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
If Bush flies Continental from JFK to Delhi, will Continental apply the same sort of security checks to Bush at JFK?

No, they won't and that is the whole point. Kalam shouldn't have flown a foreign airline in the first place. Or at least when they insisted on frisking him, he should have refused and flown AI or Jet instead.

Expect an american company or airline to follow their rules. Do you even think that Bush or Clinton would fly in an Indian airline?

psaxena
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
I just created a website called aandolan.com , please go there and post.. and we will have passive aandolan by "smart bright and best" in the forum.

Since its an aandolan by best and the brightest it will be in the forum and may be some emails going out as well. Law enforcers do not have to worry to make arrangements for the rally etc.. as there will be NONE.

This is one of the examples of how some of us are treated in the name of security, even the former President of India has now been humiliated.

Probably, you do not know about Dr. Kalam. I would like to quote a small story about this great person and then you decide for yourself as to whether this is an important thread or not. Also, pls stop looking at everything from an immigration perspective and IV is surely a place for discussing these matters too.

Once, Dr. Kalam's personal secretary (some Nayar or Menon) in one of the interviews said that, one morning Dr. Kalam called him and told him to take care of a leak in the ceiling in his bedroom in Rastrapathi Bhavan. Dr. Kalam told his PS that he did not wanted to disturb him late in the night and hence he slept in the couch the whole night without any problems and called in the morning. The PS was shell shocked without any doubt.

deepak
07-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I don't even know why I am bothering to clarify, but sometimes some urges are too strong.
Firstly the phrase "Some Nayar or Menon" is mildly offensive and sounds quite like saying "Some mallu" or worse "Some south Indian". The President's Personal Secretary at that time was Mr. P.M. Nair.

The second thing is that the Rashtrapati Bhavan is the one of the larger personal residences in the world, much much bigger than the White House for example. Trust me, there are enough bedrooms and beds that the president does not really need to sleep on a couch if one bedroom leaks :)

Not to take anything away from Dr. Kalam of course. He is a great man and as Mr. Nair said, it is surprising that he still got to keep his job after the bedroom leaked and that Dr. Kalam was more concerned at that point with the maintenance of the other houses on the President's estate where the people did not have other bedrooms to move into.

mundada
07-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Yes my friend. In US, every person irrespective of his current or past status has to go through same security checks as any other person would.

This was the news about former US vice president, Al Gore, and the airport security breach. At the end of this episode, Al Gore's spokesperson said that Al Gore wanted to be treated like any other person and was impressed.

Al Gore Inadvertently Breaches Airport Security - NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - (http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=6165069)

Finally, the incident reminded me about Chanakya. Chandragupta says to Chanakya that he gave his word to allies and if he did not follow through on this then his honor would be lost. Chanakya replies that he would not sacrifice nation's interests for an individual's honor, however important the individual was, and if Chandragupta still had issues then even Chandragupta was disposable.

Originally Posted by mundada

Marphad
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Before independence, people like you were being called as "loyalists". Come out of your insane worshiping mentality and see how they treat their own ex presidents and vice presidents. They don't have to go through strip search.

I am shameful that people like you are in my community.

santa123
07-22-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't even know why I am bothering to clarify, but sometimes some urges are too strong.
Firstly the phrase "Some Nayar or Menon" is mildly offensive and sounds quite like saying "Some mallu" or worse "Some south Indian". The President's Personal Secretary at that time was Mr. P.M. Nair.

The second thing is that the Rashtrapati Bhavan is the one of the larger personal residences in the world, much much bigger than the White House for example. Trust me, there are enough bedrooms and beds that the president does not really need to sleep on a couch if one bedroom leaks :)

Not to take anything away from Dr. Kalam of course. He is a great man and as Mr. Nair said, it is surprising that he still got to keep his job after the bedroom leaked and that Dr. Kalam was more concerned at that point with the maintenance of the other houses on the President's estate where the people did not have other bedrooms to move into.

Deepak,
Your post is accurate, mine may not be and it was not intentional.
Sorry no offense meant to any particular community / state.
Thanks!