PDA

View Full Version : H1b - consular processing - where to go for i-94

vikramWrites
02-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Got a job offer within 15 days of lay-off.

I have a US education and was working with a large corporation in finance dept. I was on h1b which is already stamped on my passport and is valid for 2 more years (2010-2013). I was laid-off in Dec, but after 15 days, I got a new job. The new employer, which is also a very large corporation took 30 days for background checks and documentation. Now has filed h1b petition through consular processing (premium processing), which has been approved. Now I need a new i-94. I plan to visit Canada and come back with new i-94.

Has anybody been through this kind of process. Is flying to Canada better than driving. It is advisable to go to India instead of going to Canada. I do not have an appointment at US consulate because I only need new i-94 (and not visa stamping). Will Canadian consulate have problem because I do not have an appointment at US consulate in Toronto. While coming back, can US officers at canadian border decline me i-94 and re-entry.

Please share if your advice.

sbmallik
02-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Since you have US education, you won't face a rejection risk by getting the visa stamped in Canada. I know at least 3 similar cases where the visas were approved from Toronto consulate. Please check for the visa wait times (http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/wait/wait_4638.html) in different consulates and plan accordingly. Driving is also an option but it all depends on your current residential address.

vikramWrites
02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks SBMallik. But as per employer attorney I do not need a visa stamp, as my old employer visa is unexpired. I Only need new i-94.

Therefore, I do not have an appointment with US consulate in Canada. Will canadian consulate in detroit understand this, and grant me a canadian tourist visa.

andycool
02-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks SBMallik. But as per employer attorney I do not need a visa stamp, as my old employer visa is unexpired. I Only need new i-94.

Therefore, I do not have an appointment with US consulate in Canada. Will canadian consulate in detroit understand this, and grant me a canadian tourist visa.

ya ..you can go to Canada and return with a new I 94 , you can even go to Mexico , i have read in this form that you can even go to JAMICA ( you dont need visa to go to Jamica )

thanks

vikramWrites
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Andycool.

hardrock360
03-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey Vikram , I guess you already have a valid Visa Stamp becasue you said that you ll go to canada and get a new i94. could you please tell me about you case if you got the new i94 or what?

desireuben
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Vikram,
were you able to successfully stamp the visa at US consulate in canada ?
Thanks Andycool.

rbafna1982
09-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Hi Vikram,

Even i am into similar situation, i.e. i have been unemployed for almost two months and will surely be asked to get the I94.

Do i need to go for staping or can i just go to Canada or bahamas and renter without going to consulate?

Please do reply, really appreciate your help and assistance!

Regards,
Rahul