PDA

View Full Version : Advocacy day: Air miles, carpooling and hosting members in DC

pappu
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Immigration Voice is making every effort to allow for members to be part of this advocacy effort (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1901186-action-item-advocacy-days-in-washington-dc-in-april-2011-a.html). IV team requests that many members plan to come to DC in April. This thread is started for members who wish to carpool or donate air miles or for DC/MD members to host others. Please use this thread to connect with each other.

However, for reasons beyond our control if members cannot do so, please contribute monetarily (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions.html#post2305081).

Sukhwinder is coordinating the efforts on carpool and hosting options.
Members who wish to carpool please post on the thread as well as send an email to Sukhwinder - 2011carpool@gmail.com

Vinay is coordinating the efforts on airmiles, people wishing to donate air miles or request help for using the air miles, please PM vin13.

Poster to spread the word.. (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/images/a/a7/Myposter.pdf)

Thank you.

pappu
02-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Thank you for registering with Immigration Voice for the advocacy efforts in Washington DC. Your participation in such efforts will help tremendously in bringing about the positive changes we seek.

Many of you may have questions regarding the advocacy event. To answer your questions, we are holding a conference call this weekend. An email was sent out to confirmed members today (Mar 24) with the subject line: IMPORTANT: IV Advocacy Conf Call Info. Please check your email for the conference call details and other important information.

The conference call in number and details cannot be made public.
Thank you.

StarSun
02-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Members who have pledged airline miles or stay in the registration form, please use this thread.

sukhwinderd
02-02-2011, 02:58 PM
i can drive my minivan from zip code 32771 (orlando area). so 6 seats are vacant.
i can pick up members from daytona beach area, jacksonville etc. if someone is coming from south florida, tampa area they can stop by at orlando and we can car pool from orlando.

i need atleast one person who can drive at night, cause i cannot.

shahrks
02-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Just wanted to make sure that the organizers are aware that the 4/4 and 4/5 dates will fall in the middle of Cherry Blossom Festival in DC and specifically in and around the national mall. Travel and stay could get little expensive. Just wanted to make sure that this gets on to the radar. On the more positive note, lots of IV members will get a chance to visit DC during the most beautiful time of the year. Will attend anyways and will spread the word.

National Cherry Blossom Festival: The Nation's Greatest Springtime Celebration (http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/)

actaccord
02-02-2011, 08:10 PM
most of the Cherry Blossom related rush will be only on weekends. April 4th and 5th falls on weekday so we have to face traffic and rush related to weekday. Also, 4th is Monday which is little less traffic (no to great extend though) due some federal people gets deferred workday. But for sure Tuesday (April 5th ) will be super rush day, all we need to do is plan to get in after morning rush hour and get out before/after evening rush hour.

Just wanted to make sure that the organizers are aware that the 4/4 and 4/5 dates will fall in the middle of Cherry Blossom Festival in DC and specifically in and around the national mall. Travel and stay could get little expensive. Just wanted to make sure that this gets on to the radar. On the more positive note, lots of IV members will get a chance to visit DC during the most beautiful time of the year. Will attend anyways and will spread the word.

National Cherry Blossom Festival: The Nation's Greatest Springtime Celebration (http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/)

StarSun
02-03-2011, 10:22 AM
To get a head start on the advocacy effort, we need members to register, contribute, plan the travel, and spread the word as soon as possible.

StarSun
02-04-2011, 10:58 AM
Members who want to donate air miles, please come forward, as it will allow for others who are considering to come a chance to plan for the event.

immig4me
02-04-2011, 04:52 PM
/\/\/\

StarSun
02-07-2011, 09:35 AM
immig4me, can you keep the advocacy thread on the home page in the weekend too?

reachinus
02-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I can donate 16000 US Airways miles from 2 accounts. Please let me know the process.

StarSun
02-07-2011, 01:47 PM
IV calls for a couple of volunteers to collect the miles and purchase tickets to confirmed participants. Please contact me.

actaccord
02-07-2011, 04:58 PM
donate 25000 Hilton points (accumulated for future vacation use but this is more important :-) ) , worth one night stay close to DC (10miles) or two night stay (25 miles from DC). This stay can be shared by 2 or 3 ppls. Also, I can take care of picking you from hotel to DC and back to hotel.

sage2006
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I will be traveling from the west coast and am trying to find other South Cal folks who are travelling to the event. Maybe we can coordinate travel, if possible.
Also, would appreciate any car pooling options when in DC/VA.

shyamkishore
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM
My Dear IV Members,

I would like to open up my house for IV members during the advocacy days. I live in Herndon, VA about 25 miles from DC. I can accommodate up to 3 or 4 members if they can manage. DC is pretty much commutable from my house using the public transport.

Due to my work situation at present I am not sure if I will be able to participate actively. But I will be trying my best to at least make it for a day.

Regards,
Shyam

StarSun
02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Thank you actaccord, shyamkishore, sukwinderd, reachinus for your contributions.

I request other members to come forward to donate air miles or plan on carpool options NOW, as this will allow for people to decide on their commitment to travel to DC. Please do not wait until the last week or so to offer air miles....

I also need a volunteer who can coordinate the airline donations, interested members, please contact me.

Few members have submitted their wish to contribute air miles and hotel stay in the registration form. Please come forward on this thread.

Thank you.

sage2006
02-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I have lived in VA before and know how much of a mess it can be to commute between VA and DC.

However, for this specific event, would local members or those who have had experience attending advocacy days last year recommend to solely use public transport to get to the DC/Cap Hill area or would renting a car be of any help. I was thinking of just renting a car to just get from airport to place of stay and then use public transport on Mon/Tue to get to DC.
LOOK FORWARD TO SUGGESTIONS as I need to plan my travel.

thescadaman
02-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I plan on attending the event in DC this April. I have emailed the details in our Texas IV yahoo group with my request for sponsorship with Travel and stay.

thescadaman TX.

mayhemt
02-09-2011, 07:49 AM
i can drive my minivan from zip code 32771 (orlando area). so 6 seats are vacant.
i can pick up members from daytona beach area, jacksonville etc. if someone is coming from south florida, tampa area they can stop by at orlando and we can car pool from orlando.

i need atleast one person who can drive at night, cause i cannot.

I would like to join, I live in Orlando area... do you happen to hear from other interested members?

StarSun
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
I have lived in VA before and know how much of a mess it can be to commute between VA and DC.

However, for this specific event, would local members or those who have had experience attending advocacy days last year recommend to solely use public transport to get to the DC/Cap Hill area or would renting a car be of any help. I was thinking of just renting a car to just get from airport to place of stay and then use public transport on Mon/Tue to get to DC.
LOOK FORWARD TO SUGGESTIONS as I need to plan my travel.

Parking can be a problem near the Hill. It is probably best to use public transportation.

sukhwinderd
02-09-2011, 09:43 AM
I would like to join, I live in Orlando area... do you happen to hear from other interested members?

most likely one of my friends will join. so 3 of us till now. i am trying to check with my other friends.

Goodintentions
02-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I am planning to drive down from Detroit area. It should take about 10 1/2 hours to DC. It will be good if we could car pool, more for driving comfort and company. If anyone is interested, please let me know.

Best wishes...

vishwak
02-09-2011, 02:49 PM
What exactly is this???

newbie2020
02-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I have some Delta Skymiles (3729miles), Not sure how to donate. If anyone needs them let me know.

valuablehurdle
02-10-2011, 08:38 AM
I also have Continental Airmiles that I can donate. Please PM me if anyone is interested. I will be driving to DC myself since I am just 4 hours away.

mayhemt
02-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Can anyone suggest hotels and/or if already booked can you post those hotel name & locations?

Also, just a suggestion, this thread is getting complicated as far as matching donors with travelers is concerned... May be create a Google spreadsheet with all the donors (miles, accommodations) and match them with travelers from just one central location?

tonyHK12
02-10-2011, 11:41 AM
I have about 9500 miles in Delta.
As StarSun mentioned, we need a volunteer to maintain a spreadsheet of miles, accomodations for matching. Can someone take this up?

Can anyone suggest hotels and/or if already booked can you post those hotel name & locations?

Also, just a suggestion, this thread is getting complicated as far as matching donors with travelers is concerned... May be create a Google spreadsheet with all the donors (miles, accommodations) and match them with travelers from just one central location?

StarSun
02-10-2011, 12:35 PM

Need a volunteer to coordinate the air miles. Please contact me.

immig4me
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\

shantanup
02-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I will attend the event. I want someone to sponsor my airfare and stay.

forever_waiting
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Just a friendly thought from a co-member, If you are motivated to attend the advocacy event, why dont you consider sponsoring your travel? We should try to keep the donated miles/hotel points for on-the-edge members who we will have to try convince at the last moment when we closer to April.
Motivated members who believe in this event should come forward and sponsor themselves and consider it as a contribution to the event. We are not doing anyone else a favor by travelling to DC - this is for our own good.

-Attending the advocacy day.

I will attend the event. I want someone to sponsor my airfare and stay.

shantanup
02-12-2011, 06:46 AM
Just a friendly thought from a co-member, If you are motivated to attend the advocacy event, why dont you consider sponsoring your travel? We should try to keep the donated miles/hotel points for on-the-edge members who we will have to try convince at the last moment when we closer to April.
Motivated members who believe in this event should come forward and sponsor themselves and consider it as a contribution to the event. We are not doing anyone else a favor by travelling to DC - this is for our own good.

-Attending the advocacy day.

I see and agree with what you say. I sponsored myself the last 2 times I went for advocacy days but this time the situation is different - I've got my green card already and therefore finding it difficult to justify the expenses to my wife.

rajagram
02-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi
I am regular reader of immigration voice as well, I am also able to pick some people from Hotel and drop them back to Hotel on advocacy days.

actaccord
02-14-2011, 09:50 AM
ppl...don't wait till last minute...

lifestrikes
02-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Day Off (April 4, 5) - Check
Accommodation - Check

I'm driving to DC from Cary, North Carolina on Saturday. Will attend Training on Sunday and both Advocacy Days.

lost
02-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Anybody from KY attending the event?

desigirl
02-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Which airport should members be looking to book the tickets to? Baltimore, Dulles or Reagan? Which is the closest to the Capitol Hill or which airport has the easy public transportation access to Capitol Hill. I would like to go ahead and buy the air tickets.
Thanks.

vin13
02-16-2011, 12:46 PM
I am volunteering to coordinate the collection and redemption of airline miles.

Those who would like to donate or in need please PM me with your contact information along with a good time to reach.

if you are donating miles, please also provide the airlines and the number of miles you wish to donate.

I had coordinated this effort during the previous advocacy days and we were successful in helping a few individuals in securing air tickets.

Thanks

actaccord
02-16-2011, 12:57 PM
has metro access. Baltimore has MARC but it won't be that frequent and cost effective.

Which airport should members be looking to book the tickets to? Baltimore, Dulles or Reagan? Which is the closest to the Capitol Hill or which airport has the easy public transportation access to Capitol Hill. I would like to go ahead and buy the air tickets.
Thanks.

DSLStart
02-16-2011, 01:43 PM
You can usually get good flight deals for BWI (Baltimore airport). There is metro bus service (http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf)connecting from BWI to Greenbelt metro station.

has metro access. Baltimore has MARC but it won't be that frequent and cost effective.

lc1978
02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
You just made a payment of $ 100.00
Your receipt number for this payment is: 4704-4941-3704-4919.

All the best

forever_waiting
02-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Completely understand.
On a related note, as pappu pointed out on another thread, it would be really nice if senior members, in general, who have got GCs in the past years continue to stay involved since their past advocacy experience is greatly valuable. Several such senior members have continued to stay involved but some have taken a back seat after "getting greened". Ideally, it should be the opposite - shouldnt getting a GC inspire us to be further involved in the process and get the issue resolved?

I see and agree with what you say. I sponsored myself the last 2 times I went for advocacy days but this time the situation is different - I've got my green card already and therefore finding it difficult to justify the expenses to my wife.

sukhwinderd
02-16-2011, 08:49 PM
so many people stuck in backlog in DC/VA area and not even 5 came up for help.
i am hopeful of more contributions, please dont let me down.

thanks

chanduv23
02-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Completely understand.
On a related note, as pappu pointed out on another thread, it would be really nice if senior members, in general, who have got GCs in the past years continue to stay involved since their past advocacy experience is greatly valuable. Several such senior members have continued to stay involved but some have taken a back seat after "getting greened". Ideally, it should be the opposite - shouldnt getting a GC inspire us to be further involved in the process and get the issue resolved?

I agree with you. I thought about it and decided to come to DC. I was greened last year and definitely IV was a very big factor in my GC journey. I have not been logging onto IV for a while as I have been very busy with my personal life, and job tensions, kid etc.. and all sorts of other things.

After GC, your life usually changes only if you want it to change. I am still in the process of understanding how best to change. As of now, nothing changed - not even my job :).

I am surprised that people still do not want to help themselves. I see everyone looking at the visa bulletin and getting frustrated, but why do people n ot take the extra step?, I really don't understand. I urge members to come forward and help yourselves. - Please.

actaccord
02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
one of the reason I would like Core Team to consider sending email about the Advocacy Day.... that email will get more inactive member like Chandu who got greened and has no good reason (nothing wrong abt it...most of us do the same) to continue visiting IV. Please consider sending one email on Feb and March.

If someone gets out because of this email I am sure he/she is not going to work on any IV activities even if IV never sent any email. Those members join IV just for some free advice and nothing else.

Pappu & StarRun consider this request and let us know where we stand on this. I had collected some content from this forum for flyers ( decided not to pursue further after discussion and advice from StarRun).

On side note, I agree with Chandu regarding convincing our spouse on these kind of expense and participation is really tough a job. We have bought up by teaching/preaching any activities other than studying (for grownups working) is not worth it.

I agree with you. I thought about it and decided to come to DC. I was greened last year and definitely IV was a very big factor in my GC journey. I have not been logging onto IV for a while as I have been very busy with my personal life, and job tensions, kid etc.. and all sorts of other things.

After GC, your life usually changes only if you want it to change. I am still in the process of understanding how best to change. As of now, nothing changed - not even my job :).

I am surprised that people still do not want to help themselves. I see everyone looking at the visa bulletin and getting frustrated, but why do people n ot take the extra step?, I really don't understand. I urge members to come forward and help yourselves. - Please.

chanduv23
02-17-2011, 10:41 AM
one of the reason I would like Core Team to consider sending email about the Advocacy Day.... that email will get more inactive member like Chandu who got greened and has no good reason (nothing wrong abt it...most of us do the same) to continue visiting IV. Please consider sending one email on Feb and March.

If someone gets out because of this email I am sure he/she is not going to work on any IV activities even if IV never sent any email. Those members join IV just for some free advice and nothing else.

Pappu & StarRun consider this request and let us know where we stand on this. I had collected some content from this forum for flyers ( decided not to pursue further after discussion and advice from StarRun).

On side note, I agree with Chandu regarding convincing our spouse on these kind of expense and participation is really tough a job. We have bought up by teaching/preaching any activities other than studying (for grownups working) is not worth it.

A well drafted newsletter - on a continual basis will keep members well informed. A lot of people visit this website only for information, timepass and to rant. Some do serious stuff but most just pass time here.

Newsletters - will help reach out to wider public. The desi groceries, movie distributors, restaurants send emails and coupons, toysrus, best buy , etc... send emails, coupons, so many organizations do it and I think IV must do it to.

StarSun
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Who is IV?

You and I = WE.

StarSun
02-17-2011, 10:50 AM
IV sent newsletters last year on advocacy efforts to its members. We are doing it this year as well. We are trying to reach out to our members to attend the event.

tonyHK12
02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Newsletters - will help reach out to wider public. The desi groceries, movie distributors, restaurants send emails and coupons, toysrus, best buy , etc... send emails, coupons, so many organizations do it and I think IV must do it to.

This is a nice idea, maybe bi-weekly or monthly. No one has an advocacy oriented one and we can take the lead in this. As usual I agree to volunteer for this one. We can get inputs from core/Senior members and the ones meeting law makers.

actaccord
02-17-2011, 11:06 AM
for the update, StarRun.

We should have done it early (by 2 weeks before and continue the same for every 2weeks) so that people who need to get air ticket & Accommodation can get it @ better pricing. Also we will start getting contribution from silent member which can help to understand the level of participation bit early so that we plan for the event perfectly (or close to perfection).

IV sent newsletters last year on advocacy efforts to its members. We are doing it this year as well. We are trying to reach out to our members to attend the event.

chanduv23
02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
for the update, StarRun.

We should have done it early (by 2 weeks before and continue the same for every 2weeks) so that people who need to get air ticket & Accommodation can get it @ better pricing. Also we will start getting contribution from silent member which can help to understand the level of participation bit early so that we plan for the event perfectly (or close to perfection).

I agree. Flight tickets are discounted till the last 3 weeks, but if someone wnts to book at a later stage, they become expensive.

On another note, I think we must urge locals, and those in driving distance to really make it. People must take this very seriously.

Most EB3 have no clue whatsoever when the backlog clears. Everyone wants to just wait and discuss visa bulletins, but will not do anything. This includes EB3 ROW also.

People must step up and do some PR work.

vin13
02-17-2011, 12:10 PM

Those who would like to donate or in need please PM me with your Name and Phone number along with a good time to reach.

if you are donating miles, please also provide the airlines and the number of miles you wish to donate and contact info (name and phone number)

Please do not forget to put your phone number when you send me the PM.

Thanks

chanduv23
02-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Those who would like to donate or in need please PM me with your Name and Phone number along with a good time to reach.

if you are donating miles, please also provide the airlines and the number of miles you wish to donate and contact info (name and phone number)

Thanks

Great Vin. I would be glad to see you there. I am also reaching out to some old members who did this earlier and see if they can do any help in any possible way.

actaccord
02-17-2011, 04:38 PM
have the process/steps on how to redeem those air miles ?

PHANI_TAVVALA
02-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Thanks

sent Delta miles information to you.

reachinus
02-17-2011, 08:07 PM
I have 16000 us airways miles in 2 accounts.

sukhwinderd
02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
here is a report which says there are more than 300,000 GC visa numbers were unused.
go to page 35 or search pdf for recapture to see chart.
from the report
This dialogue is critical considering that when USCIS
and DOS fail to accurately estimate cut-off dates, visas go
unused or are shifted to other family or employment-based
categories. Congress passed legislation permitting the
recapture of some unused visa numbers from previous
years.119 Figure 19 presents data on visa numbers “lost”
between 1992 and 2009 for both employment and family
preference categories.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/cisomb_2010_annual_report_to_congress.pdf

recapturing visas is the easiest way to clear backlog. it has happened before and can happen again, if all of us try.

sathishav
02-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Guys,

1. I live in Cary and planning to drive to DC on Apr 04/05. Open to car pool.

2. I just came across this forum and made a small $50 donation. ( More later on how things work out) . I still don't have access to Donor forums. I did mail StarSun my unique#.

inputs appreciated.

chanduv23
02-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Guys,

1. I live in Cary and planning to drive to DC on Apr 04/05. Open to car pool.

2. I just came across this forum and made a small $50 donation. ( More later on how things work out) . I still don't have access to Donor forums. I did mail StarSun my unique#.

inputs appreciated.

Awesome, way to go. Invite your friends, bring your colleagues.

StarSun
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Members who wish to carpool please post on the thread as well as send an email to Sukhwinder - 2011carpool@gmail.com

Vinay is coordinating the efforts on airmiles, people wishing to donate air miles or request help for using the air miles, please PM vin13.

Thank you.

nagio
02-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi,

Can the donating air miles be international like korean, air india etc?

Thanks,
Naga

vin13
02-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Some of the international air miles can be redeemed for US domestic flights with their partner airlines.

For example, korean Air can be redeemed for Delta tickets
Air India cannot be redeemed for any domestic flights as they do not partner with any US Carrier.

Hi,

Can the donating air miles be international like korean, air india etc?

Thanks,
Naga

nagio
02-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Vin,

I am willing to donate 13,194 Korean airline miles. I have PM'd you with details. I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Naga

independent72
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I am going to travel from Boston and would like to pool my car. I have Honda Pilot and can sit 6 people.

sukhwinderd
02-21-2011, 07:27 AM
please let me know at 2011carpool@gmail.com if you are interested in car pool/hosting.
lets make it a grand success. dont wait till the last minute.

sukhwinderd
02-21-2011, 07:40 AM
people from neighboring area/from places on the way are welcome to join.

StarSun
02-21-2011, 12:39 PM
We need members to donate a lot of airmiles!

Please contact vin13 if you want to donate miles or want to use the miles for the DC advocacy event. You have to be registered for the event.

Please contact sukhwinderd 2011carpool@gmail.com for the car pool options. We need members from states within driving distance to DC to make it for the event on both days.

Members please come forward with your donations NOW as it will members who plan to come to DC to use the miles, carpool options. Any delay will cause members to back away from attending the event.

This has to be a collective effort. Members call for action, - here is your chance to help be a part of it.

sukhwinderd
02-21-2011, 08:25 PM
people from cary, NC ; boston; detroit; orlando; new jersey till now.
need more participation from these areas as well as from other states.

StarSun
02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Guys,
We need your time, your enthusiasm on the advocacy days. IV is a grass roots organization. You are the grass roots.

We face problems of backlogs, and career uncertainty. IV is offering a solution, if implemented, it will bring relief to all. IV needs your help to deliver what you and I "NEED" AND "WANT".

HELP IV HELP YOU.

We need heavy participation on the lobby days, I need volunteers from different states to ask me "How can I help?" instead, I am trying to find volunteers! I have been able to persuade members who have received GCs to help out, but getting members who are still in the mess are either unaware of the advocacy days (in spite of the thread running on the home page for the past month) or are not ready to talk to the employers to take the two days off. Capitol Hill runs on weekdays and therefore it is necessary for you to take the time off.

Come on guys, you can do better than this. Donors, members, guests - we are all in this together!

VA/MD/DC members, please come forward to host members from out of town. Help them to reduce costs!

Members who have accumulated airmiles, please come forward to donate them.

Members living in neighboring states to DC (or at least at a driving distance) find friends/members to car pool with you to the event.

Members who have unavoidable situations at work or home and cannot participate, help fellow members to bear the costs, please donate to their trip. They are willing to take the time off, and will be representing you and your state. Why not help them?

If you decide that you will support this effort, you will find a way to help. Anything else is just an excuse! Sorry, to say this, but that is just a fact!

sukhwinderd
02-22-2011, 10:22 AM
with StarSun. there are so many people in neighboring states (to DC) who can come during advocacy days, or atleast offer accomodation, hotel pickup drop offs. hardly anything to loose. its pathetic that people will line up for free lunch, but will not do anything to get it, even when there is nothing to loose.

chanduv23
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Guys,
We need your time, your enthusiasm on the advocacy days. IV is a grass roots organization. You are the grass roots.

We face problems of backlogs, and career uncertainty. IV is offering a solution, if implemented, it will bring relief to all. IV needs your help to deliver what you and I "NEED" AND "WANT".

HELP IV HELP YOU.

We need heavy participation on the lobby days, I need volunteers from different states to ask me "How can I help?" instead, I am trying to find volunteers! I have been able to persuade members who have received GCs to help out, but getting members who are still in the mess are either unaware of the advocacy days (in spite of the thread running on the home page for the past month) or are not ready to talk to the employers to take the two days off. Capitol Hill runs on weekdays and therefore it is necessary for you to take the time off.

Come on guys, you can do better than this. Donors, members, guests - we are all in this together!

VA/MD/DC members, please come forward to host members from out of town. Help them to reduce costs!

Members who have accumulated airmiles, please come forward to donate them.

Members living in neighboring states to DC (or at least at a driving distance) find friends/members to car pool with you to the event.

Members who have unavoidable situations at work or home and cannot participate, help fellow members to bear the costs, please donate to their trip. They are willing to take the time off, and will be representing you and your state. Why not help them?

If you decide that you will support this effort, you will find a way to help. Anything else is just an excuse! Sorry, to say this, but that is just a fact!

Anu - I seriously think that, if IV is not getting at least 5% members interested in stuff there is no point in beating the dead horses. Looks like most people are interested only in the discussion forums and nothing else.
Very few people are motivated and I feel bad that people who want to bring change for the good are not getting enough support.
In my opinion, IV must help people who sincerely and genuinely want to help themselves and not waste time doing social service to a selfish section of the crowd. I suggest that IV become a profit organization and let people keep ranting and discussing their stuff if they are willing to pay for the services and fun. IV does not have to spend time and money and effort and stress out trying to ask selfish people to help themselves.

vin13
02-22-2011, 07:44 PM
I am keeping track of the air miles donors and those requesting tickets. I may not get the time to acknowledge receiving the messages.

I will reach out to individuals as i get to coordinate the available miles with those who are in need.

Thanks

StarSun
02-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Thank you Vin13 and Sukhwinderd for keeping track of the air miles and carpool/hosting details.

Members, please come forward with your generous donations to help fellow members mitigate costs associated with the advocacy efforts.

StarSun
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Poster to spread the word.. (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/images/a/a7/Myposter.pdf)

actaccord
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
to spread the words to all IV members ? Please send the same message you have posted in local chapters to all IV members. We will get additional hands and minds to make this event successful.

Poster to spread the word.. (http://pennyappware.com/myposter.pdf)

isantem
02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
I will attend the Advocacy Day April 2,3,4 and maybe 5 but I can't promise the 5.
I am coming from Richmond, VA and I can pick-up 3 more people from the area. I can also do carpool in DC during the events (Hotel - Captol Hill or Airport Capitol Hill)

lost
02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Anyone from KY attending the event?

karmayogi
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Guys,

I can offer an extra bedroom with a queen bed to people coming from other places to the DC area for the advocacy event. Co-ordinators or interested parties please PM me and I can provide details.

Thanks
Yogi

RNGC
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks. Sent you a PM.

actaccord
02-25-2011, 10:19 AM

immig4me
02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

vin13
02-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I may be able to help get air tickets to a couple of individuals.

Please PM me with your Name, phone number, and good time to reach (with time zone) if you are in need of air ticket help for the advocacy event.

Thanks

sage2006
02-28-2011, 04:09 PM
I am flying in from California on Sunday (april 3rd morning) and will be flying back on tuesday evening (flight departs 5 Pm - could not get red-eye) from DCA (Reagan DC Natl Airport).
Was planning to rent a car anyway for Sunday (to attend orientation and other personal errands). Holding off on renting car for Mon/Tue depending on car pool and other commute options. Will be staying with a host from this forum.

Look forward to syncing up with other folks in the same boat.

actaccord
02-28-2011, 07:52 PM
taking care of hotel bookings ?

It will be good if we book as a group in single location so that easy for everyone to share the expenses (rent, hotel stay, car pool).

I have Hilton points (could offer @25000 points ) which is good for 1 night/2days stay.

We need to book early to get better price so hurry up guys.

I am close to Dulles Airport and if anyone needs pickup and drop-off I can provide some help (if you stay late night as I plan to participate each day till it ends).

immig4me
03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/

actaccord
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM

StarSun
03-03-2011, 12:05 PM
/\/\/\/\

vin13
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
We have been successful in arranging tickets for a couple of individuals.

Thanks for the donors of air tickets and air miles. We can still use some more air miles if some one has closer to 20K-25K air miles.

Please PM me if anyone wishes to donate air miles.

Thanks

indigokiwi
03-04-2011, 09:43 AM
^^^^^^^^^

immig4me
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\/

sukhwinderd
03-07-2011, 10:04 AM
i need to accomodate people coming from NJ, CA, FL.
if anyone wants to offer place at their home please let me know.

snathan
03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
i need to accomodate people coming from NJ, CA, FL.
if anyone wants to offer place at their home please let me know.

You forgot people from TX....? I need accommodation.

thanks

sukhwinderd
03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
i dont why i thought you were coming from NJ.
anyways, folks please step up and help people coming
from outside.

kkt_tkk
03-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi,

I am flying (to BWI) from MI, need accomodation during my stay.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
KKT

immig4me
03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

bang
03-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Please let me know who wants to travel .. i can book a ticket for you ... please reply with your details i will contact you

StarSun
03-08-2011, 11:27 PM
Please let me know who wants to travel .. i can book a ticket for you ... please reply with your details i will contact you

Please contact vin13 through private message. He is coordinating our air miles donation effort.

Catherine
03-09-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't have many but I can contribute a few Continental airmiles if this would help? How do I go about it?

Thank you and good luck in DC!

bajjuri77
03-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I have 6,355 miles from Delta. I want to donate these miles to someone who is travelling to DC. Please let me know if I can do this and how to do it.

Thank you and good luck to you all.

abhijitp
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi,

I have 6,355 miles from Delta. I want to donate these miles to someone who is travelling to DC. Please let me know if I can do this and how to do it.

Thank you and good luck to you all.

1) Get in touch with someone who wants to use the miles
2 ) How to Contribute Frequent Flyer Miles | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_7193899_contribute-frequent-flyer-miles.html)

vin13
03-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Just to give some of the members information on how airline miles could be used.

typically we would need at least 25,000 miles to redeem a round trip ticket.

Sometimes some individuals may have let say 20,000 miles. they are 5,000 short of a round trip. Then, we can use someone else who may have about 5000 miles to transfer to the individual with 20,000 to make up the 25,000 for redeeming.

There is always a transfer fee associated. typically transferring 5000 miles will cost about $50.

It is not practical to combine several accounts of 2000, 5000, etc to make up 25,000 miles because the transfer fee alone will get to be around $250 to $300. For $300 you might as well just buy the ticket.

Some of you have been willing to offer a couple of thousand miles. this would be used only if i can find someone who is just a few thousand miles short of 25000 so we can combine.

I am keeping a log of all the miles donors. Please be aware that not all miles can be used especially when they are just a few thousand miles.

Miles Donors when you PM me, please mention how many miles you would like to donate. Some of you are sending me a message that you would like to donate some miles. But if you do not mention how much miles you have, i cannot decide if we can use them.

Also individuals who need air ticket please PM me.

thanks

sukhwinderd
03-10-2011, 10:58 AM
smaller chunks are useful for a night stay at a hotel or for car rental.
car rental at aa is about 2100 miles/day.
hotel is somewhere around 13,000 miles/night.

vin13
03-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I have enough miles to get about 3 round trip tickets. Please PM me if you are in need for participating at the DC event.

Please note that priority would be given to

1) someone from mid-west or south-west. Basically the preference is for someone who is not within the drivable distance.

2) You also need to be registered for the advocacy day.

3) You also have to be willing to participate in the training and the 2 days of advocacy.

4) You need to PM me with your name and phone number and good time to reach. There is not much time to go back and forth on PM or emails.

Please note that number of tickets available for miles redemption would be less so we need to act fast.

Thanks

new_horizon
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
I'll be flying in to BWI on Sat 2nd night, and have booked a 2 bed hotel room for 3 nights. The hotel is close to the BWI and MARC/Amtrac station, with frequent trains to Union Station DC. If anyone would like to share the hotel room, pls send me a personal message. Thanks.

jainnidhi26
03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Is there any acco/carpool available near REAGAN INTERNATIONAL ??

actaccord
03-13-2011, 10:15 AM
/\/\/\/\/

actaccord
03-14-2011, 06:54 PM
/\/\/\/\

pd052009
03-15-2011, 09:18 AM
^^^^^

kumar4875
03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi ,
I am looking for carpool who is driving from Baltimore area.

I live on 18 exit on 83 north.
will be driving via 83 south/695/95south/

any one in this route please email me.

StarSun
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
VA, MD, DC members please contact sukhwinderd for hosting members.

Members who have air miles to donate, please do so now - contact vin13.

Many members from the west side are requesting for such options.

StarSun
03-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Volunteers, please contact Vin13, if you know of any member willing to make the trip to DC for all 3 or 4 days from the west and mid west regions. He has enough air miles for a couple of tickets.

sukhwinderd
03-15-2011, 11:13 AM
some you of have offered accomodation. i sent private messages, but i am unable to reach these individuals. people offering accomodation please email me directly with address/phone#/details of accomodation offered directly to 2011carpool@gmail.com

time is short and i need to accomodate visiting members.

gclabor07
03-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Hello,

I too am looking to carpool with someone driving from the Cockeysville area. I'm staying at a friend's place, but he is flying out that weekend to attend a job interview. So, I'm in need of a ride as well. If you find a ride, please let me know as well.

Thanks.

Hi ,
I am looking for carpool who is driving from Baltimore area.

I live on 18 exit on 83 north.
will be driving via 83 south/695/95south/

any one in this route please email me.

actaccord
03-15-2011, 08:04 PM
/\/\/\/\

abhijitp
03-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Renewing the call to folks from North California to go attend the Advocacy Days (all 4 days). Others in North California may be able to help you with airfare, etc. (Check the yahoogroup for more details)

nmdial
03-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Dear All,
I'll be driving from Harrisburg, PA on Saturday, Sunday, and attending the advocacy event on Monday only. It would be really helpful if someone could host me for one night.
Regards,
nmdial

abhijitp
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Renewing the call to folks from North California to go attend the Advocacy Days (all 4 days). Others in North California may be able to help you with airfare, etc. (Check the yahoogroup for more details)

Still looking for someone from North California to take advantage of this!

StarSun
03-16-2011, 08:12 PM
VA/DC/MD members, please host members from out of states. Contact sukhwinderd (private message) or send him an email.......... 2011carpool@gmail.com Lots of members are asking for hosts......

VA and MD chapter leaders, please post this information in your state chapters, encourage people to open their homes to fellow members.

pd052009
03-17-2011, 09:14 AM
^^^^^

abhijitp
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Folks from North California... please volunteer to attend the Advocacy Days (all 4 days). Others in North California may be able to help you with airfare, etc. (Check the yahoogroup for more details)

abhijitp
03-17-2011, 07:52 PM
Bumping up!

f16mav
03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
I can donate about 30K Continental miles. Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks,

sukhwinderd
03-18-2011, 09:42 AM
please PM vin13

I can donate about 30K Continental miles. Please let me know the procedure.

Thanks,

tsnaresh
03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Is there a group created for Ohio state? I have sent an email to "IV-Ohio@googlegroups.com" but email was not delivered (invalid group). Also, any one interested in car pooling from Cleveland, Ohio?
Thank you

StarSun
03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
VA/MD/DC members, please step up and contact sukhwinderd for hosting members. He is keeping track of people wanting to host and people requiring hosts...........

There are a lot of people from far of states asking for hosts. These guys will only need a place to spend the night and a shower in the morning....Many of the VA/MD/DC members who have registered can just take one or two of the members home....

vine93
03-18-2011, 03:14 PM
I booked for myself . Need sufficient miles for one person .He has participated last year too.

vin13
03-18-2011, 05:37 PM
If you are in need of air miles or would like to donate air miles, please PM me with your name and phone number.

I will not be able to coordinate if you do not provide me with your phone number.

vine93
03-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I sent you yesterday.

pd052009
03-21-2011, 12:24 PM
^^^^

pd052009
03-22-2011, 07:29 AM
^^^^

madhu_online1
03-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Guys,
I can donate 25000 airline miles to replace the cost of one ticket and make it simple for someone to buy a ticket.

Madhu

sripk
03-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I am from bay area, CA and would like to travel to DC to participate in the advocacy effort! If there is a group traveling from here, I want to get in touch with you. Please let me know. Thanks!

amitjoey
03-23-2011, 11:27 AM
There are people from northern california going to DC. Please join IV's NOR CAL group and you will get in touch with all of them

abhijitp
03-23-2011, 08:34 PM
I am from bay area, CA and would like to travel to DC to participate in the advocacy effort! If there is a group traveling from here, I want to get in touch with you. Please let me know. Thanks!

We can help you! Please check your PM

StarSun
03-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Thank you for registering with Immigration Voice for the advocacy efforts in Washington DC. Your participation in such efforts will help tremendously in bringing about the positive changes we seek.

Many of you may have questions regarding the advocacy event. To answer your questions, we are holding a conference call this weekend. An email was sent out to confirmed members today (Mar 24) with the subject line: IMPORTANT: IV Advocacy Conf Call Info. Please check your email for the conference call details and other important information.

The conference call in number and details cannot be made public.
Thank you.

abhijitp
03-25-2011, 01:14 PM
Bumping up!
Folks from North CA, please volunteer for the Advocacy Days! We still have a couple of sponsors waiting to help you.

kalyan_c
03-25-2011, 10:11 PM
is anyone from NJ? I am looking for accommodation in DC for sunday and monday, it would be great if someone can host me or if anyone is willing to share a hotel room

tonyHK12
04-01-2011, 10:19 AM
/\/\/\