PDA

View Full Version : Action Item: Advocacy days in Washington DC in April 2011

pappu
01-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Immigration Voice: Announces Advocacy days in Washington DC in April.

Immigration Voice in its continued efforts to find legislative and administrative fixes is holding Advocacy Days in Washington DC on Monday, April 4th and Tuesday, April 5th.

2011 is a crucial year to get the fix needed to clear the backlogs and allow for our high skilled immigrants to get the relief needed. We need to capitalize on the opportunity to push for legislation now, as it is unlikely to have any favorable immigration bill to be brought for the next 2-3 years (Primary campaigns, Presidential campaigns will take priority).

IV’s vision is to hold more than 400 meetings with the legislator offices both in the House and the Senate. We will also be holding meetings with senior administration officials working on immigration issues. As a grassroots organization we need members from all across the country to register, participate in the advocacy event, bring awareness on our issues and seek a positive vote on our provisions from the legislators.

We aim to resolve this issue but we cannot do it alone and therefore it is imperative for everyone, and by that we mean EVERY ONE to participate in one way or the other. If you wanted to be a part of the past events but couldn’t, then now is your chance to make your voices heard and fight for a fair system and just process. Always remember, we are in United States at the invitation of our employers and our employers have filed our green card petitions in order to retain us. It is only fair and only just to ask for a system that achieves that objective without delays and without putting the immigrants in probationary limbo for 6-12 years. And it is your obligation to yourself and your family to stand up for your rights and ask Congress to legislate and fix the system so that it works the way it was originally intended to work.

Our previous efforts such as the June Advocacy 2010, September Advocacy and Rally 2007, Flower campaign, San Jose Rally, and many intermediary mini advocacy events in DC has allowed us to be one step closer to the goal. We need to make this upcoming event as a final push for reform. The President’s STOU address and feedback from Lawmaker meetings have provided us the encouragement to pursue this endeavor. As many of our members know, the efforts in our last advocacy days are consequential in how we are perceived by the lawmaker offices. IV calls upon members who participated previously to provide their input on the need for advocacy efforts and persuade many others to join in.

Immigration Voice will arrange for meetings, advocacy material, and other logistics necessary for all the events during the Advocacy Days. All you have to do is show up. We request our members to come in on Saturday, April 2nd for orientation and training. Please make arrangements to carpool (for driving distances), book airline tickets, and contact friends in DC/MD area to host you. IV will not sponsor your travel and stay for this event. We expect each one of you to take the initiative and stand up for yourself and your family and use this opportunity to ask lawmakers to act on high-skilled immigration issue.

Our efforts have to be of a massive scale, we need members from every State to participate in the event. To be successful we need more than 200 members attending meetings. We also need to know in advance on your attendance. Please take the time to talk to your employers, arrange for a leave of absence, and register for the event as soon as possible. Make every possible attempt to be in DC.

To conduct such an effort, IV also needs contributions. Our estimated cost is around $50,000 for the event. We need generous contributions from our members, especially from members who are unable to make it to the DC event. To be clear, all one time contributions starting from February 1st will be considered as a contribution to the advocacy event. All the recurring donations will continue to go towards Donor forum access. Our advocacy event costs will be on top of our regular costs and we need to pay for both.

Please register here. (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36)

Poster to spread the word.. (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/images/a/a7/Myposter.pdf)

Other details are to follow.

IV Team.

pappu
Thank you for registering with Immigration Voice for the advocacy efforts in Washington DC. Your participation in such efforts will help tremendously in bringing about the positive changes we seek.

Situation Room for the event
Washington Court Hotel
525 New Jersey Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20001

Maps for reference:
1. Buildings 1, 2, 3 and 8, 9, 10 are the ones we will be visiting. (http://www.aoc.gov/cc/images/Visiting_Capitol_Map_legend.jpg)
2. Situation Room and Legislative office buildings. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Washington+Court+Hotel,+Washington,+DC&daddr=Longworth+House+Office+Building,+Independenc e+Avenue+Southwest,+Washington+D.C.,+DC&geocode=FaODUQIdY-Ro-yG7bOSMrwDdqQ%3BFQFgUQIdRvFo-ymb9gYkKri3iTHBQQ_MBb8dGw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=38.890381,-77.008903&sspn=0.010121,0.025105&ie=UTF8&ll=38.892102,-77.008753&spn=0.010121,0.025105&z=16)
3. Airport Distances from the Situation Room (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=525+New+Jersey+Avenue,+NW,+Washington,+DC+20 001+(Washington+Court+Hotel)&daddr=2605+S+Clark+St,+Arlington,+VA+22202+(Ronald +Reagan+National+Airport)+to:Dulles+Airport,+Dulle s,+VA+to:Baltimore+Airport,+Baltimore,+MD&geocode=FaODUQIdY-Ro-yG7bOSMrwDdqQ%3BFRHLUAIdYHBo-yGtawdtAa9oQQ%3BFaVhUgId4D1i-ymlvtd-Ske2iTFUkDGRJ71SzA%3BFanVVQIdTSBu-ykL4MK7_OK3iTFAF5f6DBUAAA&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=39.027719,-77.067719&sspn=0.605958,1.693268&ie=UTF8&ll=39.04052,-77.060852&spn=0.605848,1.693268&z=10)

Hotel Options
1. Priceline bidding on Hotels as low as $60/night (http://travela.priceline.com/hotels/?plf=pcln)
2. Air Bed & Breakfast - staying with locals. (http://www.airbnb.com/?af=73699&c=Airbnb&gclid=COGT2KTN7acCFc885QodeBLCbg)

Dress Code
Tie and/or Jacket for Meetings and Congressional Reception - Monday, Apr 4th and Tuesday, Apr 5th

Parking Issues
Saturday, Sunday parking on the street is free.
Parking in the hotel costs $30/day

Have Questions?
Call 202-386-6250
If you were unable to attend the conference call, please contact me.

pappu
(1) How do I arrive at my hotel / place of stay in the DC metro area (VA/MD/DC)?

If you are flying into DC area (IAD/DCA/BWI) and are being hosted by a DC area member, please call your host and arrange for transportation. Most likely who ever is hosting you may be willing to pick you up from the airport. If that's not the case, please refer to instructions below.

Please refer to transportation instructions below for each airport

BWI:
Option 1: Amtrak has daily service to Union station starting at $12. Keep in mind that Acela Express may have a higher charge than other trains. Go to the schedules tab on the home page linked above and chose BWI (Baltimore –Thurgood Marshall Airport) to Union Station, Washington (WAS) for schedules on the day and time of your arrival.

Option 2: Bus-Metro There is bus service from BWI to Greenbelt Metro Station and from there to downtown Washington DC. Cost of this Bus-Metro trip is about $7.

If you are staying in a hotel in the DC area, Call your hotel and find out what the closest metro station is to your hotel and what line it is on to and then refer to the metro map.

IAD: At the arrivals door 4, Wash flyer bus leaves to West Falls Church metro station (orange line) as per the attached schedule. Fare is 10$ each way and 18$ round trip.

If you are staying in a hotel in the DC area, Call your hotel and find out what the closest metro station is to your hotel and what line it is on to and then refer to the metro map.

DCA: Regan National Airport has a metro station that is on both Blue and Orange lines.

(2) What is the best mode of transportation in the DC area and why?

Metro. I-495, also known as the Capital Beltway is one of the worst traffic hot spots or infamously known as the biggest parking lot in the DC area. I-66 connecting VA and DC is completely HOV (2 or more per vehicle). Finally Parking spots are tough to find are limited to maximum of 1 or 2 hours. One day parking spots are tough to find nearby and costs about 25$ a day.

(3) What is the fare on the metro and how should I pay?

Fare on the metro varies with the on boarding and off boarding stations. Metro has pre paid fare cards (DO NOT BUY SMART TRIP CARDS) vended by the automated systems and can be paid using Credit card or cash. One-way fare during time peak time from the suburbs to Union Station (Senate) or Capital South (House) is 5$.

You can get the exact fare from the wmata trip planner on Metro’s website. Charge your fare card with the money needed on the first time during the weekend to avoid standing in line during the weekday. On the three days, you will use the Metro at least 6 times. So please charge your fare card to 6 times the one-way fare between your stations.

(4) How early should I start every day?

Please do NOT underestimate the time it takes to get to the hill by Metro, then to the Situation room (if needed) and then your actual meeting. You will need to start 2 hours ahead of your meeting time from your hotel in the suburbs.

(5) Is there a hot line number where I can call for help?

Yes, IV will set up a hotline. 202-386-6250.

(6) What to say to the lawmakers in the meetings? How to put our point across?

A lot of this will be provided during brain storming sessions on Sunday. Please refer to the attached “How to Have a Successful Congressional Visit”

(7) Please tell me plans for the Sunday session?

Please Make sure you be there for the Sunday session. Sunday session will begin from 9:00 AM and will last till 9:00 PM. There will be several rounds of sessions lasting a couple of hours with breaks in between. You can attend any of these depending on your availability and arrival time. Use this day to also read the materials we would be providing you for meetings and ask us any questions you may have. You can meet others who would accompany you and brush up on talking points and plans for each meeting. We will also help you with some research on each lawmaker office. For example- position of the lawmaker office, voting record on past bills, issues championed in the past and present etc. Sunday sessions will be very helpful for getting fully prepared for next days of meetings.

(8) Please tell me plans for Monday and Tuesday? What are the agenda items other than meetings.

Monday, meeting with the legislative offices (9 am - 5pm)
Tuesday, meeting with legislative offices and a congressional reception in the evening (5:30 pm). So please book your flights back home on red eye flights Tuesday night or early morning flights on Wednesday.

(9) Where is the Congressional Reception?

Info will be provided in the situation room on Sunday.

(10) Can I invite my Lawmaker office staff/Lawmaker for the Congressional Reception?

Absolutely. We encourage members to invite the staffers and Lawmakers. If you already have good rapport with the office it would be very helpful. Please contact us and we will provide you with a formal invitation for the office.

(11) Security Screenings[/B]

Entry to each of the buildings require standard security screening.

LONGGCQUE
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
I will contribute for this financially. Had contributed $100 for 2010 June advocacy days. Will also spread the word.

gc_on_demand
01-31-2011, 04:47 PM
me and my wife will try to attend this event. If not for any reason will contribute 100 USD for event.

gcgonewild
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
All we have is hope

looneytunezez
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
We are travelling to India from March last week to first week May.
Will support this effort financially....

actaccord
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
the Advocacy day.....first time participation... hope it will great experience

tonyHK12
01-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Will donate $100 for the event

eb3retro
01-31-2011, 06:41 PM
r2i ing end of Feb 2011. But, will contribute financially though.

pappu
01-31-2011, 06:58 PM

Any reasons for R2i?

Is it your EB3 wait?
With a Jan 03 PD it is sad to see someone giving up after a 7 year wait and coming so close to getting current.

goosetavo
01-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Wouldn't miss it! Count me in. It was a great experience last summer and I hope more people will be on hand this time, this is our moment!

hello
01-31-2011, 08:20 PM
Will Attend and contribute $100

StarSun
01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
The online registration form is up and running, please check the first post. Please make sure that you are committed to attending the event before registering.

eb3retro
01-31-2011, 09:01 PM
Pappu, I really lost my interest in this. After waiting for so long, I have come to a state where I find this to be not worth it anymore. I don't want to continue with this uncertainity any longer and my children are growing up and I want to move on in my life. Negotiating a good job offer for a good position. Its not that I am going to get my GC in 6 months or let alone in 2 years with a total of more than 8000 people ahead of me. So, I am looking at a minimum of 2 years wait and I do not think its worth waiting any longer. Getting a GC in 3-5 years seems tobe a OK wait, but more than 7 years, I want to use my time in something else more precious. Did not mean to hijack the purpose of this thread, just wrote it because you asked that question.

Any reasons for R2i?

Is it your EB3 wait?
With a Jan 03 PD it is sad to see someone giving up after a 7 year wait and coming so close to getting current.

pappu
01-31-2011, 10:09 PM
Pappu, I really lost my interest in this. After waiting for so long, I have come to a state where I find this to be not worth it anymore. I don't want to continue with this uncertainity any longer and my children are growing up and I want to move on in my life. Negotiating a good job offer for a good position. Its not that I am going to get my GC in 6 months or let alone in 2 years with a total of more than 8000 people ahead of me. So, I am looking at a minimum of 2 years wait and I do not think its worth waiting any longer. Getting a GC in 3-5 years seems tobe a OK wait, but more than 7 years, I want to use my time in something else more precious. Did not mean to hijack the purpose of this thread, just wrote it because you asked that question.

Sad to see how GC affects people's lives.
You are one of the first few IV members to join when it was formed. You were member number 351 to be precise. Did you ever try EB2 porting? Let us know if you would be interested in any media interview. We get lot of requests from media asking for people who are returning back to their home country after being frustrated from the long GC wait. Good luck and best wishes.

CHHAYA
02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Me and husband will attend and also contribute. Will wait to register until get approval for time off from job. Any one going to DC from Baltimore can contact me so we can arrange car pool.

Eb3retro,

I feel very sad that you decided to go back to India. If Jan03 PD can loose hope then we are way behind. I hope you don't mind giving media interview. Good Luck.

sukhwinderd
02-01-2011, 10:03 AM
also, i am planning on driving (minivan) from florida. so would make sense if there are others coming from orlando region to join. i can pick up members from daytona beach area, jacksonville etc. if someone is coming from south florida, tampa area they can stop by at orlando and we can car pool from orlando. is there a local coordinator for florida ?

kaarmaa
02-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered. Will Contribute. Will try to attend

vbhup2
02-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered. Attending.

StarSun
02-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Please use the registration link exclusively for Registration (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36).

For monetary contributions (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions.html#post2305081) (even the members who are planning on attending + donating), please use this link.

For carpooling, airline miles and hosting (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904645-advocacy-day-air-miles-carpooling-and-hosting-members-in-dc.html#post2305179), please use this thread for planning.

eb3retro
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Chaya, We are going back to India on personal choice. My manager here knows very clearly that I cannot take up promotions and the HR does not want to do eb3-->eb2 conversion. So, I took up this crap for a while, and decided to put an end to this misery once and for all. And fortunately the same company is offering me a job in India at a good designation with good compensation. Also, we were missing out (esp my kids) were missing out lot of things happening in India, which they want to be a part of. Original idea was to stay in US for 10 years and go, only difference is now, we did spend that 10 years but still dont have our GC. Another important thing that we considered was , it becomes more difficult to take this decision when we have GC in hand because, as much as it helps to stay in US, it avoids us from leaving US too, and to wait for citizenship is another 5 years from that point, which could all take easily 6 years to the minimum from today. Thats why we wanted to make it easy on us, and do this now.

Looking back, would I re-do this GC process one more time - no, but am I happy to be a part of IV - you bet I am. Thats the bottom line.

Me and husband will attend and also contribute. Will wait to register until get approval for time off from job. Any one going to DC from Baltimore can contact me so we can arrange car pool.

Eb3retro,

I feel very sad that you decided to go back to India. If Jan03 PD can loose hope then we are way behind. I hope you don't mind giving media interview. Good Luck.

amitjoey
02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Eb3 retro -Mixed feeling after reading your post. I am sure you have arrived at this decision after a long, indecisive period. Good luck for all your future endeavours.

Madhuri
02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Will donate for sure, also looking into possibility of attending.

eb3retro,I am happy that you could take the decision, but still still have mixed feelings. BTW, how old are your kids?
Chaya, We are going back to India on personal choice. My manager here knows very clearly that I cannot take up promotions and the HR does not want to do eb3-->eb2 conversion. So, I took up this crap for a while, and decided to put an end to this misery once and for all. And fortunately the same company is offering me a job in India at a good designation with good compensation. Also, we were missing out (esp my kids) were missing out lot of things happening in India, which they want to be a part of. Original idea was to stay in US for 10 years and go, only difference is now, we did spend that 10 years but still dont have our GC. Another important thing that we considered was , it becomes more difficult to take this decision when we have GC in hand because, as much as it helps to stay in US, it avoids us from leaving US too, and to wait for citizenship is another 5 years from that point, which could all take easily 6 years to the minimum from today. Thats why we wanted to make it easy on us, and do this now.

Looking back, would I re-do this GC process one more time - no, but am I happy to be a part of IV - you bet I am. Thats the bottom line.

pappu
02-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Looking back, labor certification was the problem for lot of EB3 folks even though they were current at I485 stage. There was so much backlog (5 years or more) in certain states. While certain states could get the labor approved in a couple of months. People with older PD than yours could get greencards before Sept 2005. Smart guys changed their jobs and went to states where labor was quick. There was lack of awareness and easy availability of information as we have on IV now. Even now fortunate folks are changing jobs and filing under EB2 to significantly shorten their wait times. The whole Green card wait is a career killer for many and that is sad.

Between 2001- 2005 nobody did anything about the labor backlogs. The community was only anonymously browsing forums. There was lack of initiative and courage among the community. All people could do was look upto attorney or HR to do a miracle for them. I wish those folks between 2001-2005 did something like forming IV then. After IV was formed in Dec 2005 we focused our attention on Labor department to clear backlogs. Remember Backlog elimination centers? Folks today are just very fortunate that they can get Labor approved in a few months. I do not see the same amount of pain and desperation in the new people as I have seen in old timers. Many new filers still think that if their labor could come in few months, I1140 could come in another few months, their I485 should be coming in the mail very soon. It is only when they lose job, or their employer revokes their I140, or face problems in the process they start worrying about Greenecard, read more about what backlogs are and want to play an active part in IV.

akshayae
02-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Let us all make an effort to attend.!

Akshay

actaccord
02-01-2011, 03:43 PM
nice posters (soft copy only...authorized by IV....we can print in our local areas) to be placed in Grocery shops (mainly Indian stores mostly they accept) to attract new and inactive members to participate/contribute to this event. I am ready to place it in my area (4 stores I can reach).

Also how about pamphlets (again soft copy..authorized by IV...we can print it in our local) placed in stores for people to pick and read it (some may act on it). May be 1 in 100 will join which is reasonable (not a great) reach.

pappu
02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
nice posters (soft copy only...authorized by IV....we can print in our local areas) to be placed in Grocery shops (mainly Indian stores mostly they accept) to attract new and inactive members to participate/contribute to this event. I am ready to place it in my area (4 stores I can reach).

Also how about pamphlets (again soft copy..authorized by IV...we can print it in our local) placed in stores for people to pick and read it (some may act on it). May be 1 in 100 will join which is reasonable (not a great) reach.

This is a good idea.
Could you find people willing to help create posters on a new thread. IV can help form a group that would take care of all creating posters, fliers, banner ads etc for this event.

pappu
02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Please click the 'Bookmark' icon below the first post of this thread to auto-post the information about advocacy day to your facebook, twitter, wordpress blogs etc...

actaccord
02-01-2011, 05:46 PM
will work on this task... :) This is a good idea.
Could you find people willing to help create posters on a new thread. IV can help form a group that would take care of all creating posters, fliers, banner ads etc for this event.

greyhair
02-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I just registered online. I attended the lobby days in June 2010 and enjoyed participating the last time. It was a great feeling. Will be there for sure in April.

Thanks IV

StarSun
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
We need participation from all the mainland states, and need upwards of 200 members. Take the time to talk with your employers now, and register to be active on advocacy efforts in DC. The success of our advocacy lies with the number of enthusiastic and willing members we have in DC.

We need sponsorship of a bill and votes at the end of the day. Your efforts matter in getting both.

Edison99
02-02-2011, 03:18 PM
eb3retro, very sad to see your post. Hope R2I will bring prosperous in your life....

diptam
02-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Wait for another 2 yrs before you pull the plug.... I also returned back after 9 yrs in May 2009 but came back again in Apr 2010 , trying to Port up from Eb3 to Eb2 by accepting a higher position - this is genuine. The new company will file my PERM anyday ( AD was going on) and I'll leverage my Eb3-I old priority date of Mar 2005 which is CURRENT in EB-2 sector. I'm hopeful.

There are lot of challenges in India after being here for 9-10 years ONLY good thing is they will pay you good money because they will treat you as a 'imported commodity' :)

Email or Call me if you want to hear more.

looivy
02-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Pappu, thanks for the initiative. I will contribute.

I also have another suggestion. Why don't we also do a targeted campaign at partnering with corporate HRs to push for EB relief. Many corporate HRs are aware of the EB2 and EB3 retro pains. These corps rely on EB2 and EB3 folks for innovation and technology. Corporations have a lot of power in pushing legislation. I am just suggesting to try other channels as well. Corporates being just one.

Here is a list of some major corporations in the Midwest to start with. Others can add to the list from midwest and other geographies.

Company Mail address
All State 2775 Sanders Road, Northbrook, IL 60062
State Farm State Farm Insurance, One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, IL 61710
Kraft Three Lakes Drive, Northfield, IL 60093
Walgreens 200 Wilmot Road, Deerfield, IL 60015
Abbott Labs 100 Abbott Park Road. Abbott Park, Illinois 60064-3500
Caterpillar 100 North East Adams Street, Peoria, Illinois USA 61629
Motorola 600 North U.S. Highway 45, Libertyville, Illinois 60048 USA
Eli Lilly Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285

StarSun
02-03-2011, 10:17 AM
To get a head start on the advocacy effort, we need members to register, contribute, plan the travel, and spread the word as soon as possible.

pappu
02-03-2011, 12:01 PM
This is a good idea. See my answers in red inside your post

Pappu, thanks for the initiative. I will contribute.

No need to thank. Just show up in DC to community your GC problems to lawmakers. That is a big thank you to IV team in itself for all the time, money and energy we are going to spend organizing this event.

You will contribute for yourself. This advoacy day is for you and your own greencard. It is not a charity to IV. IV is you and me and we are only providing another avenue for each one of IV members to come to DC and tell lawmakers about the suffering they undergo during the greencard process.

I also have another suggestion. Why don't we also do a targeted campaign at partnering with corporate HRs to push for EB relief.

Yes we also want that and need your help and everyone on the forum to help us

Many corporate HRs are aware of the EB2 and EB3 retro pains.

Incorrect. How can they be aware of any pain themselves? Has anyone even approached the senior management asking for help. Raely anyone has done that. And whenever someone has done that and help was offered , we have known. The fact is HR of big companies do not know of any pain. Even if they know of any pain, they will not do anything about it unless their OWN employees tell them about it and ask them to help them by supporting IV. This is not happening and that is the problem. IV is you and me and everyone else on this forum. Not just pappu or core team. Each one of us working for big companies need to gather courage and approach the senior management. It is very easy to comment on the forum and provide big ideas and direction, but I have seen that when it comes to walking the talk very very few have the will or interest to carry out their own suggestion. IV was created precisely for this reason. People were lurking on various forums before IV and hiding behind anonymity. They were scared to do anything and could only hope to GOD , lawyers or whoever could help them. Everyone was throwing ideas at each other and not doing anything. The whole community was screwed and nobody was even willing to even go and talk to the media with their real name, go to DC and talk to lawmakers on their own money and vacation time. People would not even open up to their friends and talk to their friends about green card problems and do something together. This community had to stop living a life of tail between the legs and blaming their fate for their own problems. IV is a platform where you no longer have to complain. Each one of us on this forum has now enough awareness, has seen what we all are capable of doing together in advocacy so there is no reason to not approach our employers.

These corps rely on EB2 and EB3 folks for innovation and technology. Corporations have a lot of power in pushing legislation.

If this is true, what is stopping us try this route?

I am just suggesting to try other channels as well. Corporates being just one.
I agree. Let us try.

Here is a list of some major corporations in the Midwest to start with. Others can add to the list from midwest and other geographies.

Company Mail address
All State 2775 Sanders Road, Northbrook, IL 60062
State Farm State Farm Insurance, One State Farm Plaza, Bloomington, IL 61710
Kraft Three Lakes Drive, Northfield, IL 60093
Walgreens 200 Wilmot Road, Deerfield, IL 60015
Abbott Labs 100 Abbott Park Road. Abbott Park, Illinois 60064-3500
Caterpillar 100 North East Adams Street, Peoria, Illinois USA 61629
Motorola 600 North U.S. Highway 45, Libertyville, Illinois 60048 USA
Eli Lilly Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285

Address is not of any value. What we need is real humans in our community who can approach their senior management and talk about their plight. If you are really serious about your idea, contact us. We will help you. You can lead this effort by providing guidance and information to other members how to carry out this idea. If you work for a large corporation, you can first try it yourself and lead by example. If you work for a small firm, then you can volunteer by collecting interested people on the forums and coordinating this effort.

The fact is, each one of us is capable of carrying out our ideas if we have the will to do it. This will happen only if we are sincere about this effort and really want to do something about our own greencard. If we all think that simply coming to a forum and posting some ideas or arguing with others over spillovers or predictions is all they can do, then we are all wasting our time, energy and money. There are many other sites out there where you can track your applications to waste your time. Or post unlimited ideas for nobody to work on or just argue with other. None of the people benefit from such sites, except the owner of such sites that make lot of money from the internet traffic or publicity of their legal business or any other business services. The longer this community stays in this screwed state the more money these sites will continue to make. This ignorance of the community is sad and laughable to some extent. If you come to IV and give suggestion, better be serious about what you think and we will help you will all you need to lead your idea on this platform.

willigetgc?
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Attended 2010 event.
Plan to attend 2011 advocacy event.

This was in 2007, there is no rally in 2011 (just powerful advocacy from grassroots), but every thing in here holds true today too.....

by chanduv23

Subject: A peaceful rally at Washington DC by Highly Skilled Workers

Immigration Voice (ImmigrationVoice.org - Home (http://www.immigrationvoice.org)) is a non profit
grassroots advocacy group working to alleviate the issues of Highly
Skilled Foreign Workers who are stuck in the Employment Based Green
Card Process stuck in Bureaucratic Logjams.

Immigration Voice is conducting a peaceful rally in Washington DC on
September 18th, 2007 (Tuesday).

You can/must participate in the rally if
(1) You are in various stages of the Green Card Process
(2) Belong to a retrogressed group
(3) Highly Skilled worker (Physicians, Engineers on H1B visa, J1
Waiver, L1 etc…) and planning to apply/already applied for a Green
Card
(4) If your families are divided by backlogs and retrogression.
Thousands of families are being potentially torn apart due to their
kids “aging out”. These children are victims of something they have no
control over and they are constantly forgotten.
(5) Current students studying in various universities (from other
countries) but will be applying for Green Card soon or later
(6) If you already have a Green Card or a Citizen, you can provide
support and encouragement

Please make it a point to attend the rally. Please invite your
friends, relatives, co-workers and colleagues to the Rally. Please
spread this message through mailing lists, media contacts, Orkut and
other social networking media. If you are students, please send this
email to various student organizations. If you work for companies,
please send this message to managers, co-workers, employers etc.

If you are not already a member at Immigration Voice, please become a
member today. It is easy and free!

Please follow this link for more details on the Rally
immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11428

A lot of people may be wondering why should we even bother about this.

Some FAQs

(1) What's all this? Immigration Voice? Rally? Why should I care?
A. There is a political angle to issues that we are all facing. The
system was designed long time back and has not been flexible and with
the actual demand more than the capacity it is in a messed up state.
No one has made attempts to fix the mess and vote bank politics are
creating further mess.

(2) Why no one talks about these things?
a. The nature of this issue is very complex. Unless one falls into
this pit, the nature of this issue cannot be understood
b. A lot of people do not want to handle the truth and reality
c. Perception - without looking at the real picture, lot of people
assume things are fine

(3) Why should I take these issues seriously, my lawyer will take care
of these?
a. Immigration lawyers assist and handle the paperwork, this mess is
beyond their control or scope or even the scope of USCIS and related
government agencies
b. Immigration lawyers are your service providers and you are their
client, they will talk only business to you, there is no need for them
to explain to you the mess you are in

(4) After the July visa bulletin fiasco, I did submit my 485 petition,
and I will get an EAD/AP so why must I bother?
a. EAD/AP were designed to be interim benefits (only for few months
until someone can get a Green Card), their usage has limitations and
will lead to further issues
b. Severe retrogression will hit in coming fiscal years. India, China,
Mexico, Philippines, Eb3, and eb2, and ROW eb3 will all be affected,

c. Anti immigration lobby is targeting H1b tech workers, at the same
time a lot of lobbying organizations are working hard to make the
system unworkable for e.g.. Durbin Grassley amendments may appear
anytime
d. Until you get a Green Card in Hand, EAD is not the best viable
alternative for work and AP is definitely not the best travel
document.

(5) Why Immigration Voice? What is the agenda?
a. Immigration Voice is the only grassroots organization working hard
on these issues
b. Immigration Voice's earlier campaigns were a huge success and sent strong signals to government agencies and law makers

So why not start working on helping yourself and helping your fellow
immigrants?

Please spread the message, and take active interest in the event.

hello
02-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Registered

StarSun
02-04-2011, 10:40 AM
IV is ideally looking for 4 members from each of the mainland states and a lot more participation from states like CA, MA. NY, NY, VA, MD, TX, GA, IL .....

immig4me
02-04-2011, 04:50 PM
signed up!

I will volunteer to keep this and other advocacy related thread on the home page.

imh1b
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
We should tell our lawyers to post this on their website. Can other Immigration websites post a banner ad about it?

tonyHK12
02-04-2011, 06:07 PM
We should tell our lawyers to post this on their website. Can other Immigration websites post a banner ad about it?

Yes members can contact their lawyers and other sites to put this information up.
To add to what Pappu said, some of them might think we are competing for website hits and advertisement. Our main goal is only to get enough volunteers to participate in this activity in DC for their own Green card. Decisions regarding number of volunteers have to be done quickly to get appointments, so send this wherever you can.
every one has to do his/her part.

Goodintentions
02-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Dear All,

First of all I am pleased to inform you that I will certainly attend the advocacy campaign. This will be my first participation. I am eager and hope to make it. I have also started making travel / stay arrangements.

Here is what I wanted to request / share with you:

1. The advocacy related information is is "red" font. I think red font is normally used for the "donor forum".

2. As such I was looking desperately for information aout advocacy, without trying to "click" on the available thread links, just because it is provided in red font! I then spoke to a friend of mine who told me that though this is in red font, I would be able to enter! I am sure, there could be many like me. Can you please make it obvious that "advocacy links" are not donor exclusive? This will spread the news and create better awareness. I am also planning to write mails to all my friends who are in the endless GC line

3. I think we are expected to show up in Saturday, April 2, 2011. What time should we be present and where? This is required for flight / hotel reservation. Do we have a common meeting point? What is the exact address? Any telephone / email / contact no(s). ?

4. Is there any dress code please?

5. Are the participants who turn up expected to fund some amount? If so kindly let me
know ( as I wish to write to my friends about this)

6. When will be able to leave on April 5, 2011? This is also required for the purposes of
hotel reservation and ticket booking

7. Are we all going to talk in one voice about Visa recapture? Or do we have other issues
in the agenda?

8. I work for a highly reputed international orgnaization. I have already taken the issue of the EB wait for GC with senior management and also with HR. The truth is, being born Americans, they were taken by surprise! On senior lady remarked , "Wow! Are you kidding me? 10 years minimum of a Green Card? Why don't you guys open your mouth!"

May be all this information I have asked is already available. If so, kindly give me the link. I will go through everything.

PLEASE GIVE MAXIMUM PUBLICITY TO THIS EVENT HIGHLIGHTING THAT THIS RELATES TO LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, LEGAL IMMIGRANTS, LEGAL IMMIGRANTS !!!

Sorry for the inconvenience, if any! Thanks to one and all!

Best wishes for the success of the meet! GOD Bless!

Goodintentions
02-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Dear All,

Even if we have issues, let us all sink our differences, present a united front and contribute! I am sending my contribution by cheque and I have also written a personal mail to all my friends!

Kindly contribute whatever you can, by cheque!

I request all of you to recall the famous lines :

Little drops of water. Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean, And the beauteous land !!!

Hope all of you will turn up in large numbers and also contibute your mite (big or small) and make every effort to make this even a success! Moments like this come not too often! Every opportunity is worth the try!

Thank you! May GOD Bless the efforts of IV!

Wishing the Advocacy event a grand success!

tonyHK12
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I will answer some of your questions to the best of my knowledge.

There is also a lot of information on advocacy on the top of this page, 'Advocacy' tab.
Red threads are action items started and approved by admin/core. donor threads say "donor forum" on the title.

Admins are still in the process of organizing, and a lot of this can be done only once we finalize most of the volunteers and donations collected - it will depend on this.

Contributions are optional and no money is expected from volunteers, except what you spend for your own stay and travel. Of course every one knows There ain't no such thing as a free lunch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain%27t_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch). people still do wish though!
The only free lunch is meeting your local lawmakers as they are obliged to listen to your issues. That is the only thing we have asked most people to do in large numbers

Business dress code should be good enough. We are trying to convey we are high skilled immigrants and future entrepreneurs who create jobs.

You're right most lawmakers don't even know we have a problem and the reason is we as a community are not reaching out to them. Representatives of house change every 2 years.

Thanks for your efforts. Employer support is very important in conveying our issues. Large companies have their own political lobbying group. Support of citizens and Green card holders helps a lot.
We still need a lot of volunteers all over the country, who are ready to work and not just post brilliant ideas on online forums.

Everyone has to work and spread information. Its no good saying why doesn't core do this or that and everything else.

Dear All,

First of all I am pleased to inform you that I will certainly attend the advocacy campaign. This will be my first participation. I am eager and hope to make it. I have also started making travel / stay arrangements.

ramaonline
02-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Please add a tracker bar to track the Advocacy day contribution amounts.

goosetavo
02-05-2011, 01:00 PM
My flight has been booked. Two folks confirmed from WA, working on more.

tonyHK12
02-05-2011, 01:02 PM
This is being tracked on another thread - Action item: Advocacy day contributions (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions-2.html)

Total Contribution: $950
Amount left to be raised: $49,050.00

Please add a tracker bar to track the Advocacy day contribution amounts.

My flight has been booked. Two folks confirmed from WA, working on more.
Great job!

goosetavo
02-05-2011, 02:07 PM
One more thing, IV, please create a Facebook event for the Advocacy Days and post it on your page, that way I can send to all my friends.

StarSun
02-07-2011, 09:31 AM
One more thing, IV, please create a Facebook event for the Advocacy Days and post it on your page, that way I can send to all my friends.

Thank you Goosetavo. Will have the adv event on IV facebook.

StarSun
02-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Event for advocacy days in Washington DC for Apr 4 and 5 is on IV Facebook. Please forward it to your friends.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43009999999#!/event.php?eid=197404886938254

hello
02-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I am booking my ticket forApril 2nd and April 5th.What should be the arrival time in DC on 2nd and Departure time on 5th?Please help.Thanks

StarSun
02-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I am booking my ticket forApril 2nd and April 5th.What should be the arrival time in DC on 2nd and Departure time on 5th?Please help.Thanks

Try to be in DC on Saturday by noon and look for a red-eye on Tuesday night. The final details will be announced later, but the above mentioned option allows for a total participation in the event.

StarSun
02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Members from the mid western states - your participation is crucial in the advocacy efforts.

OH, IN, IL, TN, KY, MO, AR, KS, OK

It is very difficult to get appointments from legislative offices if no one from their constituency will be attending the meeting.

The DC Advocacy effort is for YOUR green card. Please take the time to talk to your employers now and get the required 2 days off to participate in the event.

av2004
02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Dear IV Members,

Just want to share some personal information with you. I was quite skeptical about such events myself, but after attending the previous advocacy event, I learnt that these efforts do really bear fruits. IV is graciuosly taking respinsibility for all the logistics of the event and speaking for you and me, SELFLESSLY, I must add. So, please make the effort to attend and I, for one, can assure you that you will not be disappointed and leave with a satisfaction that there are countless others who are in the same boat as you are and are making an effort to better the situation. And IV is always there to help!

So, please make every effort to attend this event!

Sincerely,
av2004

needhelp!
02-09-2011, 01:21 PM
I will be there! Thanks IV for continuing the good work..

sage2006
02-09-2011, 03:00 PM
tickets booked. I will be there from SoCAL.

immig4me
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Sorry, got caught up at work!

A bump to invite more participation from members!

immig4me
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Nobody registered for the advocacy yesterday?

Come on guys, this event is held for our benefit!

actaccord
02-14-2011, 09:45 AM
to go...contribute early for better planning...

tonyHK12
02-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Yes members can contact their lawyers and other sites to put this information up.
To add to what Pappu said, some of them might think we are competing for website hits and advertisement. t.

Thought I'll add to this - There are many immigration and lawyer sites out there.
Most free forums would like to increase hits, by spreading misleading information and having a paid member incite arguments, spread rumors - the popular porting one, or India, China, ROW one, to generate more hits. thats how they make money.
Its time for people to look beyond all that and do the only real thing that works - That is meeting law makers.
One of the best ways to do this is Direclty in Washington DC.

This is our only real chance until 2013.

chanduv23
02-14-2011, 04:21 PM
I have decided to come to this wonderful event and support IV and the members. I will post my details as I make arrangements.

eastindia
02-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I am asking people I know to join this event or contribute funds. We need to spread the message.

Guys click on the 'Bookmark' link below each post and with a single post you can post important messages on Facebook, Your wordpress blog, twitter, Digg etc. I suggest everyone does that for more publicity.

thescadaman
02-15-2011, 11:10 AM
I plan on flying to BWI Airport and reaching there Saturday by 1:00p; Is that a good option?

If I want to have full participation - what would be a good schedule for my return flight? Will I be able to catch a 6:15p flight on April 5th?

Locals - please respond.

StarSun
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
I plan on flying to BWI Airport and reaching there Saturday by 1:00p; Is that a good option?

If I want to have full participation - what would be a good schedule for my return flight? Will I be able to catch a 6:15p flight on April 5th?

Locals - please respond.

For a full participation, I would recommend a red-eye on Tuesday or at least a flight after 9pm est.

thescadaman
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
For a full participation, I would recommend a red-eye on Tuesday or at least a flight after 9pm est.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "red-eye" ?

There is a flight leaving BWI airport by 9:15p - I guess that may be a good option?

What are the options to travel from BWI Airport to IV gathering point?

amitjoey
02-15-2011, 11:36 AM

There is a flight leaving BWI airport by 9:15p - I guess that may be a good option?

9:15pm is a good option. red-eye means late night flight. There are a number of options from BWI to downtown DC. A bus and light rail train will get you there in an hour.

pappu
02-15-2011, 11:45 AM

Tuesday evening would be a Congressional Reception. After that we would have an IV meeting with members to discuss IV next steps etc. So keep departure flights to be late Tuesday night or after. I would highly recommend being in the Congressional Reception. You will get to meet several staffers and lawmakers here and talk to them.

vishwak
02-15-2011, 11:53 AM

Red EYE.... Red-eye flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight)

If you are going back to West Coast, they are not called RedEye flights.

freedom_fighter
02-15-2011, 03:22 PM
To all:

For those of us, who have green cards, we would also like to participate, if we can add an action item to improve citizenship rules. Most of us have waited 10 yrs for green card, and waiting another 5 yrs on top of it is too much.

Also, h1bs + green card holders would be both interested in joining the cause.

say what?

imh1b
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I want to come to Advocacy day. If my plans change, I will contribute the amount I would have spent for my travel, food and stay in DC to IV.

gk_2000
02-16-2011, 05:53 PM
An idea:

Is it possible to recite the oath of citizenship in front of the senate en-masse? And maybe get some reporters to report the event..

Another, letter campaign, in which people will sign on the oath and snail mail to WH and also local senators

These might bring attention to us.. but feel free to knock it down (or ignore) if sounds absurd

Goodintentions
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Dear All,

The idea about the oath is good. Most of us do great, creative things at work and earn the appreciation of our peers and seniors. Why not we brainstorm now, come with creative ideas to help ourselves?

Let us be open all new ideas. No idea is stupid!

Personally I would think of a mass satyaghraha but not sure now many will like it. It is a peaceful and well tried Gandian method to highlight our plight

GOD bless the EB community!

tonyHK12
02-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Dear All,

The idea about the oath is good. Most of us do great, creative things at work and earn the appreciation of our peers and seniors. Why not we brainstorm now, come with creative ideas to help ourselves?

Guys the Satyagraha and Anthem are good ideas and can be implemented. There is no shortage of good ideas.
The shortage is of people who will participate and do things. Less than 50 have registered so far.

Of course you understand talking face to face with lawmakers in large numbers is the best way to convey our ideas. Why are we talking about mails when the goal of this thread is to meet them ?

chanduv23
02-16-2011, 08:58 PM
I have booked my tickets. I will fly in to DC by Saturday noon and fly out Monday evening. I got greened last year and I owe a lot to team IV and its members. I used to be very active on IV and always a good friend to Pappu, Aman, Jay and all other IV members.
I have done lawmaker meetings twice in the past and would like to share my experiences with you all and also help with talking points etc... based on experience.

I appeal all IV members to take advocacy seriously. Changes come only through persistent efforts and thats exactly what IV is doing. Most IV core team members already have green cards or are citizens and they don't need to do all this, but they are doing it because they believe that persistent, sincere, honest efforts would definitely reap benefits.

Please contact your friends, relatives and co workers. Conduct local meetings, explain to them about IV and what it is doing. As IV members are well informed and understand the situation - especially EB3 folks, ignoring such events and not doing anything active is not an option.

Why is the advocacy day so important? This is politics 101. One can be a great doctor, great engineer, great scientist and anything, but at the end of the day, we need to understand the dynamics of things and how things happens and do things accordingly. We are all great achievers primarily - we went to good schools, worked hard, got good jobs, able to migrate to the US and have excellent leadership qualities, we have good friends, nice families, great kids and cannot complain about life in general. But getting delayed on GC is very frustrating and if we do not understand what this is all about and what it takes to find a solution, then we are just missing that essential thing in life which is "what we would need to do to change things that helps us all". Reducing GC backlog and streamlining process is a win win situation to all and such message needs to be conveyed in an appropriate way. It is our issue and we need to take it up and not expect things will fall in place automatically.

These days I see so many campaigns on facebook, twitter, etc... and the world is not like before. Public voice and opinions are being taken very seriously and if we do not live up to the times, then we basically lose big time.

Do we want to lose it? I am sure we want to win.
Can we all unite and help ourselves? I am sure we will.
Can we all come forward? I am sure we will.

Folks - we are all creative in different ways. Lets do what we can to further our cause. I wish a lot of people change their minds after reading my message.

I will keep posting inspiring messages when I get a chance.

Good luck to IV members.

chanduv23
02-16-2011, 09:36 PM
Guys the Satyagraha and Anthem are good ideas and can be implemented. There is no shortage of good ideas.
The shortage is of people who will participate and do things. Less than 50 have registered so far.

Of course you understand talking face to face with lawmakers in large numbers is the best way to convey our ideas. Why are we talking about mails when the goal of this thread is to meet them ?

Agreed. Lets focus on getting people to the event. In my opinion, and with past experience, it takes a lot of rallying, babysitting, cajoling, positively motivating people constantly and consistently for people to make up their minds.

Very few people will be fully motivated and do things by themselves. We need to put in a lot of effort in making people believe they are capable, worthy and have the ability and power to change their own lives.

chanduv23
02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Tuesday evening would be a Congressional Reception. After that we would have an IV meeting with members to discuss IV next steps etc. So keep departure flights to be late Tuesday night or after. I would highly recommend being in the Congressional Reception. You will get to meet several staffers and lawmakers here and talk to them.

I wish I were there but, I booked my return on Monday. I am glad that IV is doing this event and wish more people come attend the event.

One thing that I want to suggest is - if such a important event like congressional reception is done on last day of advocacy, most people may not be able to make it because many will want to get home and get back to work on Wednesday. This is just my personal opinion and I may not know the real reasons, I am sure IV core have planned things in the best possible way.

I urge people to attend the congressional reception - this is very important. Lawmakers always want to mingle and socialize with minorities and immigrants because they want to know things first hand which are not covered by mainstream. This reception is a wonderful opportunity to mingle with law makers, industry leaders, and other people who are working for our cause.

StarSun
02-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Thank you Chanduv23 for your participation in the advocacy efforts. It is heartening to see that members who have received green cards take the active role of advocating for changes that their fellow immigrant friends are not yet out of.

We have shantanup, vin13, and chanduv23 - all received GCs last year - all three have participated in the advocacy efforts in the past - and here they are again! Thank you.

This should inspire members who are still waiting to get their GCs to be in DC.

kumar4875
02-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I will attend this event.

chanduv23
02-17-2011, 04:44 PM
I will attend this event.

Awesome. Please bring your friends and colleagues. Please spread the word.

StarSun
02-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Members,
The best way to let us know you will attend the event is to fill the registration form.

Registration Form (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36)

dkshitij
02-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Pappu,

IV may want to contact Home | Partnership for a New American Economy (http://www.renewoureconomy.org/) for support letters for the advocacy days. They may even sponsor. Worth a shot I think.

Contact info: Feldstein, Robert <RFeldstein@cityhall.nyc.gov>. But he is out of office till Feb 28. So please contact Peter Goldwasser at pgoldwasser@cityhall.nyc.gov or (212) 788-4357.

KD

actaccord
02-21-2011, 09:17 AM
News letter to all registered members asap. We need to wake up willing but inactive members to get their participation.

desigirl
02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
New letter to all registered members asap. We need to wake up willing but inactive members to get their participation.

Yes. Members have to start realizing that this effort is for our collective benefit, and participate in the event.

actaccord
02-22-2011, 07:18 AM
more participation if we woke up inactive members. Please send the advocacy news letter to all members to get more participation.

Members from the mid western states - your participation is crucial in the advocacy efforts.

OH, IN, IL, TN, KY, MO, AR, KS, OK

It is very difficult to get appointments from legislative offices if no one from their constituency will be attending the meeting.

The DC Advocacy effort is for YOUR green card. Please take the time to talk to your employers now and get the required 2 days off to participate in the event.

StarSun
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Guys,
We need your time, your enthusiasm on the advocacy days. IV is a grass roots organization. You are the grass roots.

We face problems of backlogs, and career uncertainty. IV is offering a solution, if implemented, it will bring relief to all. IV needs your help to deliver what you and I "NEED" AND "WANT".

HELP IV HELP YOU.

We need heavy participation on the lobby days, I need volunteers from different states to ask me "How can I help?" instead, I am trying to find volunteers! I have been able to persuade members who have received GCs to help out, but getting members who are still in the mess are either unaware of the advocacy days (in spite of the thread running on the home page for the past month) or are not ready to talk to the employers to take the two days off. Capitol Hill runs on weekdays and therefore it is necessary for you to take the time off.

Come on guys, you can do better than this. Donors, members, guests - we are all in this together!

RNGC
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
I have already committed to attending the very same day I saw the email from Anu.

People should understand that 2 work days and few hundred dollars may in turn may help you get your green card 2 years early!

actaccord
02-23-2011, 09:42 AM

StarSun
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Poster (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/images/a/a7/Myposter.pdf) to spread the word..

madras1
02-23-2011, 10:14 AM
All,

I cannot find any information the location where we are going to meet in DC. It would help me to find accomadation or public transport to the event location. I am planning to attend this event.

Thanks

pappu
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
All,

I cannot find any information the location where we are going to meet in DC. It would help me to find accomadation or public transport to the event location. I am planning to attend this event.

Thanks

Hotel near capitol hill. We will post it soon. But all our meetings are in this area.

gk_2000
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Poster (http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/index.php/Image:Myposter.pdf) to spread the word..

StarSun, Could you pls upload this elsewhere? Presently it is an a private account, and it is set to expire soon

pappu
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
A newsletter is going out today to all members.

Please share the post next to this post on all other forums, facebook, your websites, your blogs, twitter etc.

pappu
02-23-2011, 08:45 PM
Immigration Voice Advocacy Days in Washington DC: 4th & 5th April, 2011

Announcement:
As the Congress is gets ready to consider solution to border security and high skilled immigration, we at Immigration Voice have concluded that the month of April is best suited to advocate for issues affecting all of us. It is your responsibility to speak up and actively participate in meeting with the lawmakers this April. You owe it to yourself, your family and your career to take care of your immigration process and we can help you be successful in that effort.

Immigration Voice will hold Advocacy Days, Press Conference and Congressional Reception in Washington DC on Monday, April 4 and Tuesday April 5th.

In the two days, we plan on having over 400 meetings with the Office of Senators, Congressmen and with the Administration.

What you can do for yourself and your career:
As we are beginning to take appointments on your behalf, we need your confirmation before we set up Advocacy day meetings for you. Please fill in the online form (takes less than 1 minute) to let us know about your plans. You can contribute to this effort in 3 different ways:

1. Come to DC and participate (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36) | More Details. (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1901186-action-item-advocacy-days-in-washington-dc-in-april-2011-a.html)

2. Cannot come to DC but want to contribute financially (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/misc.php?do=donate) | More Details. (ttp://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions.html)

3. Alternative ways : Donate airline miles, Sponsor someone, Carpool, Host Members[ (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904645-advocacy-day-air-miles-carpooling-and-hosting-members-in-dc.html#post2313932)

This is a demanding project from management and co-ordination perspective. It will very much help us if you could please let us know about your plans to attend the Advocacy Days in DC, sooner rather than later.

What Immigration Voice can do for you?

1. Scheduling and logistics: Immigration Voice will arrange for meetings, advocacy material, and other logistics necessary for all the events during the Advocacy Days. You do not have to schedule meetings with congressmen or senators, leave that to us. Just fill out the forms listed above.
2. Material: We will provide print-outs and materials to take to meetings and also material for you to study talking points.
3. Training: We will provide training on Sunday April 3rd. It is imperative for you to attend this training.

Why we should do this now? Why should you participate?

1. It’s never too early to lobby: Legislative process is slow, frustrating and it takes many years. Success comes to those who are persistent and patient. The effort that we put in now is something that will bear fruit when an immigration bill is being drafted. You cannot parachute in to DC at the last minute when the bill is being discussed in congress. By that time it’s too late.

2. Crowds and numbers matter: Big crowds have yielded success in the past especially during flower campaigns and San Jose rally which were consequential events to July bulletin reversal.

3. Demand for fairness: This is not a request for favor from Congress. It’s a request for fairness. Always remember, we are in United States at the invitation of our employers and our employers have filed our green card petitions in order to retain us. It is only fair and only just to ask for a system that achieves that objective without delays and without putting the immigrants in probationary limbo for 6-12 years. And it is your obligation to yourself and your family to stand up for your rights and ask congress to legislate and fix the system so that it works the way it was originally intended to work.

4. Personal satisfaction and pride : Just ask a participant of September-2007 DC rally or June-2010 DC advocacy event, how proud and how satisfied everyone was after the effort – not just due to impact – but just because they have stood up and spoken up for their issue.

Please stay tuned for more updates about other updates and plan to carpool with local IV members, or book travel or hotel reservation in groups for group discount.

Please take a look at the videos of some proud IV members who participated in events organized by IV like DC Rally, flower campaign and the San Jose rally.
YouTube - immigration voice (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=immigration+voice&aq=f)

See you in DC!
Team Immigration Voice

pappu
02-23-2011, 08:49 PM
There is a 'Bookmark' button below every post. If you click on it and select Facebook, the post will be shared on facebook. Let us all spread the message wherever possible about this event and get maximum participation.

tonyHK12
02-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Immigration Voice Advocacy Days in Washington DC: 4th & 5th April, 2011

Great message! most members have received this newsletter in your email. This makes it much easier to forward to your collegues/friends who are affected. This is one of those rare ocassions, chain mail is ok.

actaccord
02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
...just wondering if it got sent already but not received it (checked my spam box also) because of any issue/settings.

A newsletter is going out today to all members.

Please share the post next to this post on all other forums, facebook, your websites, your blogs, twitter etc.

tonyHK12
02-24-2011, 10:30 AM
...just wondering if it got sent already but not received it (checked my spam box also) because of any issue/settings.

I got it yesterday noon. Anyways, we can just paste the text from Pappu's message. The links have to be manually copied though for the 3 options

actaccord
02-24-2011, 04:16 PM
that already what you had suggested...I am asking this just to find the reason so that we can resend the message if the count is big (only to people who haven't got it like me).

I got it yesterday noon. Anyways, we can just paste the text from Pappu's message. The links have to be manually copied though for the 3 options

desigirl
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
done!

LONGGCQUE
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
shared on my facebook page.

keerthisagar
02-25-2011, 12:56 PM
YOUTUBE: How Bill becomes a Law (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ&feature=player_embedded#at=19)

sreeni78
02-25-2011, 01:14 PM
I can't make it to DC.Just made a recurring donation.Go IV!!!

Michael chertoff
02-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Hotel near capitol hill. We will post it soon. But all our meetings are in this area.

I am not registered but will be there with atleast 10+ friends.

MC

ajay
02-26-2011, 06:12 PM
Will contribute again.
Even thinking most selfishly I can only think that contributing to the Advocacy Efforts will only save me money in the long run. Just imagine if I get my GC one year earlier due to these efforts - How much I will save -

No EAD for me and wife - Savings of $340 per year
No AP for me, wife and Son - Savings of over $1020 a year ( I always apply for AP
every year bcos I can't imagine being stuck here if there is an emergency back home)

This amount is only for one year - if GC drags ( most likely will.. without Advocacy) - do the math.
I feel contributing couple of hundred dollars is the least I can do.

I sincerely urge everybody to contribute whatever amount they can small or big -
Little drops of water make a mighty ocean (cliched it might sound but sums it up perfectly)

Just think you and your family had dinner at a restaurant this week. :)

immig4me
02-28-2011, 10:04 AM
I am not registered but will be there with atleast 10+ friends.

MC

Registration will help the admins have records of people attending, and schedule meeting assignments. Please register.

mighty80
02-28-2011, 04:27 PM
Donated 50$ for advocacy event.

Subscription Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # 40927168VE4498036)
See related S-27C40062MM1153923

Business Name:
Immigration Voice (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email:
donations@immigrationvoice.org

AR77
02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I will be attending the advocacy event and have registered. I am travelling from AZ
I made a contribution last week for $100

immig4me
03-01-2011, 09:59 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

actaccord
03-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Goodintentions
03-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Dear All,

While we are really thankful to all the Pundits who spend their valuable time and energy to work on the number game, we should all realize one basic fact which will affect all of us :

Both EB2 and EB3 will very soon (may be 1 or 2 years) get totally jammed. This is not very difficult to realize this bitter truth.

This can be attributed to :

1. Very high porting India / ROW (which is legal and I have nothing against it. No offense please)
2. Increased ROW filing under EB2 category
3. Increased EB1 filing by Indian IT companies (Programmers and many with basic degrees who would only qualify for EB3 or at the most EB2)

It is hence a matter of time, when lightning will strike both EB2 and EB3. It is high time that all of us understand this basic mathematics and start working together. Contributing and attending the advocacy is a step in the right direction.

Note:

During one of my recent visits to the Congressman's office I was told that INS is now aware of the fraudulent EB1 filing by Indian IT companies. This process is being scrutinized more carefully, now. Infact, I was told that several letters have been received in the Congressman's office about this. The Congressman's office have also contacted the INS and spoken them about this. The Immigration aide also told me that to impose stricter scrutiny and punitive action, people like us, must flood the offices of the law makers' office with thousands of letters, exposing this fraud. Nothing has a better impact than signed letters sent by post (not Email). I once again plead with all members to meet law makers and send several thousand letters on this. Spending 45 mins on a letter (typing, printing, posting etc) may save 5 years of wait! Please think it over!!!

GOD bless the EB Community!

gk_2000
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I once again plead with all members to meet law makers and send several thousand letters on this. Spending 45 mins on a letter (typing, printing, posting etc) may save 5 years of wait! Please think it over!!!

GOD bless the EB Community!

If that's the case, why don't we do signed letter campaign? It will suit a lot of paper tigers (myself included) here

Goodintentions
03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
I am all for it, Sir! Excellent idea! Thank you!

lifestrikes
03-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Very good post and very good idea. Always hand written letter has more value to typed/printed one. It shows the time and effort.

gobi
03-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Not sure if I can attend the event but will definitely try to. Honestly every single person in the same boat should attend this. The event in 2007 changed the life of so many people and it is once in a lifetime thing. Let's make it happen again.

Contributed $100.

GOD bless us!!

gclabor07
03-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I've booked my ticket and will be attending the advocacy days on both days. This is my first time coming to the advocacy days and am looking forward to it. I'll registering for the event tomorrow, but wanted to pass on the information.

Also, I'll be staying at a friend's place who lives in Cockeysville, MD, a suburb of Baltimore. If anybody from this area is traveling for the event, I'd love to ride along because I won't have a car and don't know the area.

snathan
03-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I have booked the ticket for APR 03 - APR 06th and I need accommodation...

sukhwinderd
03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
I have booked the ticket for APR 03 - APR 06th and I need accommodation...

sent you PM

indigokiwi
03-03-2011, 10:34 PM
^^^^^^^^^

jainnidhi26
03-04-2011, 09:31 AM
I have registered for Advocacy Days in DC.
I will come from SC. Can I get any help on accomodation/carpool? I will book my own tickets.

ssingh92
03-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I just contributed $200.00.

I am in new job and mid of negotiating with blood sucker desi employer not to revoke i140. I can not attend the advocacy days.

Anyway like Eb3retro I also lost my interest so changed job. Profile don't meet much with what written in i140, so who cares if GC rejected I will be heading to India.

Good Luck for all your efforts!

AllVNeedGcPc
03-06-2011, 10:53 AM
I can host one person. I am in Sterling, VA (5 minutes from Dulles Airport) . If you can arrange a car then its 30 minutes drive from DC.

PM me for more details...

I have registered for Advocacy Days in DC.
I will come from SC. Can I get any help on accomodation/carpool? I will book my own tickets.

jainnidhi26
03-06-2011, 11:47 AM
We are also part of this seemingly unending wait to file the I-485. We missed the July '07 window.
It is frustrating in many ways....
My husband cannot switch job, even though better opportunities come his way!
There are travel probs to India as these days there r all sorts of cases happenning when u go for 'stamping' in India.
Also, I am a qualified & experienced professional (worked in a respectable MNC in India)....but cannot work. I did MBA from a university in PA thinking that it will help me launch myself in the job market when the EAD/GC comes.........but the 485 dates never came out of the spiralling mess.
U might think that I can go the H1B way.......but that itself is going in a bigger mess & employers r not willing to do in any more

So, when I saw this "Advocacy Day".....I thought its the time to get up & do something for ourselves as there might not be a second chance!!

indigokiwi
03-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I just contributed $200.00.

I am in new job and mid of negotiating with blood sucker desi employer not to revoke i140. I can not attend the advocacy days.

Anyway like Eb3retro I also lost my interest so changed job. Profile don't meet much with what written in i140, so who cares if GC rejected I will be heading to India.

Good Luck for all your efforts!

Hi ssingh, please post this amount on the 'Advocacy day contributions' thread. Thanks.

immig4me
03-07-2011, 09:57 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/

pd052009
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
^^^^

StarSun
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Need members from Arkansas.....

Help IV advocate for our issues and get the fixes we need. Each member's participation is important and valued.

If you know of people from mid western states, please talk to them about our advocacy efforts.

Register Now. (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36)

Thank you!

ivarz
03-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Donated $50 today in addition to $50 in February
Transaction ID: #6FL96828KG990805B

Appreciate IV efforts and will do my part in spreading the message!

indigokiwi
03-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Donated $50 today in addition to $50 in February
Transaction ID: #6FL96828KG990805B

Appreciate IV efforts and will do my part in spreading the message!

Thank you, ivarz! The Advocacy day contributions thread will have the total contributions to date and amount still to be raised...

scorpionk
03-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I know there are plenty of suggestions flying around and here is my 2 cent, it may or may not make too much sense, but here it is.
We can rant about the difficulties of not getting a GC, make emotional pleas of our struggles all day, but nothing talks better than money. In the current scenario nothing will grab more attention if you can show how we contribute to the US govt and the US economy in monetary terms. Nothing else will get the attention of these lawmakers like money can. ;-)
Can we put out some numbers for the lawmakers, in terms of our contribution to federal & state taxes, social security, property taxes and overall economy by way of our purchasing power home, cars, appliances, vacations, etc (all the amount that you spend in the US) and multiply these numbers by the number of folks waiting to get GC or who have the GCs. I am sure when you add all this up it will be a significant number, which is bound to catch some attention. Assuming the majority of us make more than the average American, all these figures will definitely standout.
Also propose a one time fee of $10,000 to apply for GC right away. I am willing to pay this fee if USCIS can grant me a GC or provide us a way to stay and work legally in this country with no tie in to the employer. This could be a significant amount of revenue, especially when all lawmakers are looking to reduce the deficit and raise some income. As it is they are regularly increasing the visa fees to pay for some bill to the other like the 9/11 workers healthcare bill, etc. If a 100,000 folks(not sure how many are there in total) like us cough up $10,000 that could equal 1 billion. May seem small amount compare to the US deficit, but when you add up our total contribution it is significant. This may be totally outlandish, but I think something on this line is worth talking about. Like I said, nothing talks better than money.
Not sure if there have been other similar ideas, but if we can compile a few pages of such information with numbers, graphs, comparative charts etc and hand them out to the lawmakers it may help.
Comments and feedback welcome. May be this is totally a dumb idea, but if the admins think it makes sense willing to discuss and prepare something. Also this post is not meant to begin a debate or to distract us from our goal but just some thoughts.
PS: Have contributed in the past and intend to participate (financially and in person) on the Advocacy day.

gk_2000
03-08-2011, 10:09 PM
I know there are plenty of suggestions flying around and here is my 2 cent, it may or may not make too much sense, but here it is.
We can rant about the difficulties of not getting a GC, make emotional pleas of our struggles all day, but nothing talks better than money. In the current scenario nothing will grab more attention if you can show how we contribute to the US govt and the US economy in monetary terms. Nothing else will get the attention of these lawmakers like money can. ;-)
Can we put out some numbers for the lawmakers, in terms of our contribution to federal & state taxes, social security, property taxes and overall economy by way of our purchasing power home, cars, appliances, vacations, etc (all the amount that you spend in the US) and multiply these numbers by the number of folks waiting to get GC or who have the GCs. I am sure when you add all this up it will be a significant number, which is bound to catch some attention. Assuming the majority of us make more than the average American, all these figures will definitely standout.
Also propose a one time fee of $10,000 to apply for GC right away. I am willing to pay this fee if USCIS can grant me a GC or provide us a way to stay and work legally in this country with no tie in to the employer. This could be a significant amount of revenue, especially when all lawmakers are looking to reduce the deficit and raise some income. As it is they are regularly increasing the visa fees to pay for some bill to the other like the 9/11 workers healthcare bill, etc. If a 100,000 folks(not sure how many are there in total) like us cough up $10,000 that could equal 1 billion. May seem small amount compare to the US deficit, but when you add up our total contribution it is significant. This may be totally outlandish, but I think something on this line is worth talking about. Like I said, nothing talks better than money.
Not sure if there have been other similar ideas, but if we can compile a few pages of such information with numbers, graphs, comparative charts etc and hand them out to the lawmakers it may help.
Comments and feedback welcome. May be this is totally a dumb idea, but if the admins think it makes sense willing to discuss and prepare something. Also this post is not meant to begin a debate or to distract us from our goal but just some thoughts.
PS: Have contributed in the past and intend to participate (financially and in person) on the Advocacy day.

Currently GC's are being sold for, more like, 500k (EB5 quota).. maybe we should be haggling to bring that down to 10000 or something, stating "startup" argument, and also the fact that it doesn't really take 500k to open a business that subsequently generates employment in the e-age. Some slogan like "untie our hands" ?

StarSun
03-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Success of the advocacy depends on how as a grassroots organization we present our issues to the lawmakers - for that we need people - we needs you.

Register NOW (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36)

sukhwinderd
03-09-2011, 10:52 AM
more than $10,000 if they keep you in limbo.
in my case, the companies i worked at has spent nearly 50,000$ ( in USCIS + lawyer + misc fee) for my H1s and my GC applications.

StarSun
03-10-2011, 12:23 PM
/\/\/\

abhijitp
03-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Wishing all the best to IV for this noble effort!

pappu
03-10-2011, 02:22 PM
NOTE: It is mandatory for all attending advocacy day event to attend training sessions on Saturday/Sunday.

abhijitp
03-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Advocacy is a highly effective way of making change happen in the system. Go IV!

sathishav
03-11-2011, 10:02 AM
NOTE: It is mandatory for all attending advocacy day event to attend training sessions on Saturday/Sunday.

Dude, I was under the impression that coming on Sunday is enough. Are we going to have a call (at least at a state chapter level) before the event?

pappu
03-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Dude, I was under the impression that coming on Sunday is enough. Are we going to have a call (at least at a state chapter level) before the event?

Please make sure to attend Sunday session

abhijitp
03-11-2011, 05:49 PM
If you believe that dreams can come true... help make the Advocacy Day a success!

If you would rather dream on... go here: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum14-members-forum/1944033-eb2-eb3-predictions-rather-calculations-ii-16.html

actaccord
03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
/\/\/\/\/\/\

actaccord
03-14-2011, 06:55 PM
/\/\/\/\/\

pd052009
03-15-2011, 09:17 AM
^^^^^

StarSun
03-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Volunteers, please contact Vin13, if you know of any member willing to make the trip to DC for all 3 or 4 days from the west and mid west regions. He has enough air miles for a couple of tickets.

actaccord
03-15-2011, 09:10 PM
/\/\/\/\

abhijitp
03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Help yourself!
Attend or help someone attend the Advocacy Day!

pd052009
03-17-2011, 09:16 AM
^^^^^

goosetavo
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
One more person from WA confirmed!

StarSun
03-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Thank you Gustavo!
Many thanks to all the volunteers working diligently in encouraging members to participate in the DC event.

StarSun
03-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Are there going to be any Kentuckians in D.C.?

KY members tell me...

vine93
03-18-2011, 12:49 PM
I booked my tkt and confirm my participation.

Looking for someone to donate air miles for one person.

Thanks

abhijitp
03-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I booked my tkt and confirm my participation.

Looking for someone to donate air miles for one person.

Thanks

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904645-advocacy-day-air-miles-carpooling-and-hosting-members-in-dc-9.html#post2448267

pd052009
03-21-2011, 12:23 PM
^^^^

StarSun
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Situation Room for the event will be shortly announced along with the conference call # for all the registered members attending the event.
Thank you.

pappu
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Advocacy day reception is on Tuesday 5:30 PM to 8 PM in Rayburn building.

jjava100
03-21-2011, 10:38 PM
got this response today ...

Thank you for contacting me about the DREAM Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Our immigration system is broken and needs to be corrected. I agree with the principles of giving aspiring students the ability to follow their dreams, complete college, and contribute to our society and economy. However, I firmly believe the separate passage of the DREAM Act would hinder our ability to ultimately pass comprehensive immigration reform and voted against it when it came before the House in December. We need comprehensive immigration reform now—for fairness, for families, and for our economy.

If we focus on only one aspect of immigration reform, we will not solve our problems. Such an approach unfairly excludes many important interests and groups from a solution. Employers need access to the legal immigrant workforce necessary to keep their businesses growing and should not be asked to act as law enforcement or punished for hiring folks with false identification if they made a good faith effort to authenticate it. Given the practicalities of the situation and our current budget constraints, we need to provide a path for legal status to those already in this country, not just for students or those serving in the military.

American jobs and businesses depend on a comprehensive immigration solution. Oregon’s own Coalition for a Working Oregon has done research showing how bogus impractical deportation schemes would lead to a loss of 76,000 jobs for legal workers in Oregon. This drop in economic activity would cost the State of Oregon as much as $656 million in revenue and lower small business income by 8.5 percent. It is time now for comprehensive immigration reform. It is the right thing to do for those who want to contribute to America, for our economy, and for our country. Half measures no matter how well intended undermine our ability to get to the real solution—comprehensive immigration reform.

Although the House of Representatives passed the DREAM Act on December 8, 2010, the Senate failed to invoke cloture, the procedural vote that is required to end debate and allow a final vote. As a result, the DREAM Act was not considered by the Senate prior to the end of the 111th Congress and legislative efforts must begin again in the 112th Congress. Please be assured I will keep your opinions in mind as the debate continues.

It is a privilege to serve you in the United States Congress.

Sincerely,
Kurt Schrader
Member of Congress

P.S. Please contact my office with further questions or concerns by calling (202) 225-5711 or (877) 301-KURT. You can also sign up for my e-newsletter by visiting my website at schrader.house.gov

pd052009
03-22-2011, 07:30 AM
^^^^^

pappu
03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
This is why everyone is stuck in greencard queue and will be stuck forever if they do not do anything about their situation. They will spend hours every day on forums and trackers,give their expert back seat driving comments ... but will not do anything as a community to help themselves. When some asks me the reasons for immigration problems and starts blaming the system, I have now a days started blaming them for the problems they are complaining about. Here is the proof:

It is Mar 22 and we still have only 2 members from NY!!!!!!! that has a huge population of our members. We need at least a couple more to register for the 3 days in DC - Sun, Mon and Tue Apr 3-5.

We are missing people from several midwest states.

We are not even half way in our contribution goal. Please rally people on all forums. Call your friends, post on your facebook, tweet, email and spread the word. If you have a website or blog/ know someone who has a website with lot of immigrant visitors/ can reach out to others who run websites request them to post information about this event on their homepage to show support for this effort. You can comment on this thread once it is posted so that it encourages others.

ramgres
03-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Contributed $100.00

planets
03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi All

We are having plenty of Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kanndam, Kujart, etc associations. Why don't we send send messages to these associations and request them to spread about this event. They might do some help for us.

What do you all guys think?

tonyHK12
03-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributed $100.00

thanks ramgres, updated contribution thread @ http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions-31.html#post2463742

Received $20,300.00 so far out of a target of $50,000.00

gc_on_demand
03-22-2011, 12:42 PM
So many new and renewal applicants for DL come and visit DMV and wait there for hours.. We should circulate material there..

tonyHK12
03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
^^^

amitjoey
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
What hotel is the situation room?. Which hotels are members staying at?

pappu
03-23-2011, 12:36 PM
FYI
Immigration Voice has FREE lawyer conference calls every week. You could take advantage of this and get your questions answered for free from from some top lawyers. You can even discuss the issue and directly ask follow up questions in the call.

If you come for the advocacy day in DC for lawmaker meetings, we will also have a lawyer there. You can ask your questions directly to the lawyer for free.

pappu
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
What hotel is the situation room?. Which hotels are members staying at?

Washington Court Hotel

goosetavo
03-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Looks like we have a 4th member from WA going to the event! WOW!
Folks from Microsoft and other companies came together and helped sponsor some of our attendees, how are the rest of you doing?

GO IV!

StarSun
03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Thank you for registering with Immigration Voice for the advocacy efforts in Washington DC. Your participation in such efforts will help tremendously in bringing about the positive changes we seek.

Many of you may have questions regarding the advocacy event. To answer your questions, we are holding a conference call this weekend. An email was sent out to confirmed members today with the subject line: IMPORTANT: IV Advocacy Conf Call Info. Please check your email for the conference call details and other important information.

The conference call in number and details cannot be made public.
Thank you.

Maps for reference:
1. Buildings 1, 2, 3 and 8, 9, 10 are the ones we will be visiting. (http://www.aoc.gov/cc/images/Visiting_Capitol_Map_legend.jpg)
2. Situation Room and Legislative office buildings. (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Washington+Court+Hotel,+Washington,+DC&daddr=Longworth+House+Office+Building,+Independenc e+Avenue+Southwest,+Washington+D.C.,+DC&geocode=FaODUQIdY-Ro-yG7bOSMrwDdqQ%3BFQFgUQIdRvFo-ymb9gYkKri3iTHBQQ_MBb8dGw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=38.890381,-77.008903&sspn=0.010121,0.025105&ie=UTF8&ll=38.892102,-77.008753&spn=0.010121,0.025105&z=16)

StarSun
03-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Members registered for the Advocacy Days, please check your emails for the conference call details. Log into the call to get all your questions answered before you leave your homes.

Members considering to attend the event, the time is running out - register (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36) NOW.

I am still looking for people from KY, AL, AR, OK, IA, IN, UT, OH......

OH has high immigrant populated cities such as Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati - has poor participation for the advocacy days.

blizkreeg
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I booked my ticket a month ago but haven't yet figured out accommodation and travel within DC. I'm flying into DC on Sunday, 3rd morning.

Is someone looking to share a hotel room? Alternately, is any DC area member still looking to offer a spare sleeping bag? :)

I don't know how the DC area works but would preferably like to stay closer to the event hotel. If not, I'm open to renting a car and sharing cost to get in/out of DC (heard the traffic is a nightmare though).

Please PM me directly or reply here. I'm joining the conference call tonight as well.

ajay
03-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I booked my ticket a month ago but haven't yet figured out accommodation and travel within DC. I'm flying into DC on Sunday, 3rd morning.

Is someone looking to share a hotel room? Alternately, is any DC area member still looking to offer a spare sleeping bag? :)

I don't know how the DC area works but would preferably like to stay closer to the event hotel. If not, I'm open to renting a car and sharing cost to get in/out of DC (heard the traffic is a nightmare though).

Please PM me directly or reply here. I'm joining the conference call tonight as well.

Please check your PM......

StarSun
03-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Members attending the DC event, please check your emails for the conference call details.

StarSun
03-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Please check the first 2 posts on this thread for updates.

goosetavo
03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Those of you that are in the fence on whether to support IV or not, see below, our adversaries are not sitting on the fence, they are mobilized and will be in DC the same week as us advocating for the exact opposite of what we want. Please consider this and support IV.

Never ceases to amaze me how well funded and organized our adversaries are. More the reason to make the sacrifice and be there representing EB-immigrants!

Is any sort of relief worth $100 to you? It sure is to me.

FAIR Announces Dates for Hold Their Feet to the Fire 2011 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20110323/pl_usnw/DC69955)

FAIR Announces Dates for Hold Their Feet to the Fire 2011 - Yahoo! News

50 Talk Radio Hosts to Gather in Washington for National "Town Hall" on Immigration

WASHINGTON, March 23, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) announces April 6 and 7 as the dates for Hold Their Feet to the Fire 2011. Fifty talk radio hosts from all across the United States, led by Roger Hedgecock of Radio America Networks, are scheduled to participate in Hold Their Feet to the Fire 2011, making it the largest immigration "town hall" of the airwaves to date. This year's event marks the fifth time FAIR has organized and hosted a live radio row devoted to the discussion of immigration policy.

The fifty broadcasters will spend two days interviewing members of Congress, immigration reform experts, and law enforcement personnel. Â In addition to the broadcast component, dozens of activists from across the country will be in Washington to meet their elected representatives to urge them to enact immigration reforms that protect and serve the interests of the American people.

Among the key issues to be discussed by participants at Hold Their Feet to the Fire 2011 are:

The need to enact mandatory use of E-Verify by all U.S. employers to protect American workers from losing jobs to illegal aliens.
The refusal of the Obama administration to effectively enforce existing immigration laws.
The mounting costs of illegal immigration at the federal and local level.
Public opposition to all amnesty or legalization proposals for illegal aliens.
The need to reduce overall levels of immigration to the United States.

pappu
03-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Let us focus on advocacy event for the next few days on the forum.

Some distracting threads would be deleted by moderators in the interest of staying focused on advocacy day work. There is a lot of work to be done. We are still short on our funding goal. I urge everyone to help us out .

Please fill the form ImmigrationVoice.org - Advocacy Update (http://immigrationvoice.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=36) and let us know your schedule asap. If someone has not made up their mind to come, please book the tickets now. If you have not yet contributed, please contribute now.

All DC/VA/MD members should come and attend the advocacy day anyway. Please confirm to IV that you are coming.

goosetavo
03-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Looks like we have arranged travel and board for all 4 IV folks traveling from WA. Yeah!
How are the rest of you doing?

ddanait
03-29-2011, 12:14 AM
I am staying near the event.We can share the room and can go by cab.

How can we get in touch directly?

Durgesh

gc_on_demand
03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Congress is moving ahead in direction of high skilled immigration.

Hearing on: "H-1B Visas: Designing a Program to Meet the Needs of the U.S. Economy and U.S. Workers." (http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/hear_03312011.html)

Hearing on: "H-1B Visas: Designing a Program to Meet the Needs of the U.S. Economy and U.S. Workers."

Thursday 3/31/2011 - 10:00 a.m.

2141 Rayburn House Office Building

Subcommittee on Immigration Policy and Enforcement

By Direction of the Chairman

StarSun
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
/\

goosetavo
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Looks like Advicacy Days ia happening just in time!

tonyHK12
03-29-2011, 07:52 PM
/\/\/\

KabAyegaMeraGc
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM

I am looking for accommodation too.....lemme know if u still have room.

ajay
03-30-2011, 07:54 AM
I am looking for accommodation too.....lemme know if u still have room.

I see that people are still looking for accommodation....I stay in the NoVA area around 20 miles from DC. I am willing to host people at my home. Please let me know.

StarSun
03-30-2011, 11:51 AM
parking updates on post #2

h1techSlave
03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
parking updates on post #2

Thanks for the parking info. You might want to post details about driving and metro details.

new_horizon
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi Folks,
for those looking for a hotel to stay. There is a decent "Microtel" hotel near BWI in Linthicum Heights, MD . They offer free ride to/from the BWI airport, and the train station. The trains will go to the Union Station, DC. They also offer free breakfast, and wireless internet. If you can share room, it'll work out really inexpensive. Hope this helps.

Microtel Inns & Suites | Linthicum Heights Maryland Hotel | Linthicum Heights, MD 21090 | Near BWI International Airport - 1.8 Miles, Maryland General Hospital - 5 Miles & Arundel Mills Mall - 6 Miles (http://www.microtelinn.com/MicrotelInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=29439&cid=carat_search-Microtel&gclid=CLTQ6Yr79qcCFU9pKgodEkU6bg)

StarSun
03-30-2011, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the parking info. You might want to post details about driving and metro details.

post # 3

ajay
03-31-2011, 07:26 AM
Bump

blizkreeg
03-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Anyone still looking to share a room in DC? Or someone from the area offering a sleeping bag :) ?

ajay
04-01-2011, 08:33 AM
BUMPING ...to keep on front page.....

gbarquero
04-01-2011, 09:35 AM
My wife and I went to DC in 2007, but we are not able to make it this time. We are giving you guys $200 to help somebody pay a for a flight. What's the best way to do it? Donating on the web site?

tonyHK12
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
My wife and I went to DC in 2007, but we are not able to make it this time. We are giving you guys $200 to help somebody pay a for a flight. What's the best way to do it? Donating on the web site?

Yes, if you want to give money, you can donate through the links in the website and make a one time donation.
This is our contribution thread:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904554-action-item-advocacy-day-contributions-44.html#post2494048

This is our airmiles thread for travel and carpooling:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum85-action-items-for-everyone/1904645-advocacy-day-air-miles-carpooling-and-hosting-members-in-dc.html

vthattik
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi all,

We booked two rooms for three of us for three nights at this hotel. The rooms are booked for Sat, Sun and Mon nights.

Silver Spring Travelodge
8040 13th St
Silver Spring 20910
United States

We can accommodate one more person. Send me an email if anyone is interested to share with us. We're driving from Atlanta and shall be there for Sunday orientation meetings.

akshayhere
04-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi,

I don't understand why this event is on week day. I am sure if it will be on Saturday or Sunday then you will see thousands of people participated in this event.

Thanks,

snathan
04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi,

I don't understand why this event is on week day. I am sure if it will be on Saturday or Sunday then you will see thousands of people participated in this event.

Thanks,

Senator and congressmen's office is not open on week ends...

gsudheer17
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I am sorry I was not able to come to meeting. Could you please update us what happened

tonyHK12
04-07-2011, 12:07 PM
I am sorry I was not able to come to meeting. Could you please update us what happened

Advocacy day updates are here:
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum14-members-forum/2086451-live-updates-advocacy-day-in-dc-april-2011-a.html#post2495016

smuggymba
04-07-2011, 12:34 PM

you just joined today so how could that have been possible anyway.

PlainSpeak
04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
I would assume he mean sorry he did not join earlier, cause if he would have joined earlier he would have taken part in advocacy

But good catch regarding the join date smuggymba :)

eb3retro
04-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi folks, good to see great moment in IV with regards to advocacy efforts. I still remember the day I attended the rally in DC conducted by IV. I cant forget the crowd. Amazing.

Update on me - r2id in feb. Joined the new job. Enjoying every bit of it. Initial challenges as expected in settling down. But slowly things are moving. Got admission in school for kids, took an apt for rent etc. Just wanted to stop by and congratulate everyone in IV on the advocacy efforts.

GO IV..ians..This is the year we got the world cup. This could be the year where we get through to the lawmakers and make them understand the agony of so many families waiting in limbo in the GC queue. All the best.