PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Moving to Houston

hianupam
04-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I am thinking to moving from Allentown (PA) to Houston. Just wondering if anybody can enlighten me on the challenges that I am likely to face.
Drivers License,Commute to downtown, childcare etc.
I will probably get flamed again for posting a non immigration related (mostly except the DL part I guess) topic.
I have an approved i-140 and EAD and 180 days past on 485 filing.

rajusk
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
PM me...and I can help out

eb3retro
04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
anyone from plano, texas here? pls PM me. Thanks.

H1bslave
04-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I am willing to move to Flower Mound, TX. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

tbass
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM
I am thinking to moving from Allentown (PA) to Houston. Just wondering if anybody can enlighten me on the challenges that I am likely to face.
I will probably get flamed again for posting a non immigration related (mostly except the DL part I guess) topic.

Trust me. That's a move you will surely enjoy....I moved in the opposite direction.......Houston to Allentown
Houston is the best. Lovely weather, Really "BIG" city so you can get or do whatever you want. The metro system is not the best but if you only need it to commute to work(downtown) then no problem. By the way they don't give a crap about driver's licenses in houston, too many applications. They'll give you 6yrs easily on ur license.

hianupam
04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Trust me. That's a move you will surely enjoy....I moved in the opposite direction.......Houston to Allentown
Houston is the best. Lovely weather, Really "BIG" city so you can get or do whatever you want. The metro system is not the best but if you only need it to commute to work(downtown) then no problem. By the way they don't give a crap about driver's licenses in houston, too many applications. They'll give you 6yrs easily on ur license.

Thanks. Everybody else that I talk to seems to make a big deal about the commute downtown. Actually It is my wife who will be facing the commute. I get to work from home mostly when I am not travelling.
How's allentown treating you?

munnu77
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks. Everybody else that I talk to seems to make a big deal about the commute downtown. Actually It is my wife who will be facing the commute. I get to work from home mostly when I am not travelling.
How's allentown treating you?

wht field u and ur wife work on?? commute is really bad, wherever u go..weather is good, if you like hot, humid just like india. public transport is not that effective when u compare to other bigger cities..not a good place if u r in software programming..

waiting4gc
04-16-2008, 02:45 PM
pros --
- no state taxes
- cheap housing (renting or buying)

cons
- (for me at least) Houston is terribly humid and hot
- concrete jungle pretty much sums up the city. There is hardly any good public transportation in any texas city

sainwa
04-16-2008, 02:48 PM
Any one from Sugarland (Houston TX)? Its rated one of the best place to buy the house NOW .
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/real_estate/0804/gallery.best_buy_home.moneymag/6.html

How is the IT job market there? who are the big employers in Houston area?

hianupam
04-16-2008, 02:49 PM
wht field u and ur wife work on??
Both of us work in the energy (electricity) industry.

munnu77
04-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Both of us work in the energy (electricity) industry.

then..wont be a problm..make sure u get a good deal before u move..

munnu77
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Any one from Sugarland (Houston TX)? Its rated one of the best place to buy the house NOW .
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/real_estate/0804/gallery.best_buy_home.moneymag/6.html

How is the IT job market there? who are the big employers in Houston area?

not a good place for IT...dallas or austin is better than houston...

CantLeaveAmerica
04-16-2008, 03:06 PM

Hi,
I used to live in Dallas, TX before. Flower Mound is an excellent place, great school district if u have kids, lovely houses and residential community, close to both DFW airport and Grapevine Mills Mall...u couldnt ask for a better place!

CantLeaveAmerica
04-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Yep, dont worry about DL in texas, I renewed my TX license over the internet for 6 years, till 2013:)

CantLeaveAmerica
04-16-2008, 03:09 PM
not a good place for IT...dallas or austin is better than houston...

I dont agree..IT is good in Houston too..depends on what ur skillset is though

Ramba
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070311145154AA9x6Th
http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/

There are many good things.
1. cheap real estate.
2. diversed (for desis)
3. No state dox.

Bad things.

1. Hot and humid
2.high propert tax (3-4%)
3. High enery cost due to hot wether through out year. (average 300$-400$ for electric bill for 2500sq.ft house)
4. Hurricane and flood possibilites..

nozerd
04-16-2008, 04:02 PM
I love H TOWN

Moving here is a decision you will not regret. Its probably the best place to live in the US if you take all factors into consideration.

As far as hot and humid - dont forget everything is Air Conditioned and even in the summers early mornings are not bad (if you are the outdoors type).

If you have any questions do let me know

needhelp!
04-16-2008, 04:33 PM
get involved in your Texas state chapter when you finally make your move.
Flowermound is great, but Plano rocks! ;)

hianupam
04-16-2008, 04:55 PM
get involved in your Texas state chapter when you finally make your move.
Flowermound is great, but Plano rocks! ;)

I will contact you as soon as we get settled. (that is if we decide to move)
Thanks.

QuietFlowsTheDon
04-16-2008, 06:09 PM
flower mound is a pretty good place.
good schools, home prices are a little better than nearby irving/valley ranch/coppell. property taxes are lesser than that in most other DFW suburbs.
pm me for any other info you would need.