PDA

View Full Version : Working on EAD and H1B at the same time

saloni
04-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I am derivative beneficiary and have a EAD card through my spouse who is also on H1B. I am currently on H1B and my own I-140 has an RFE.
I am getting an opportunity to venture into an non-IT business.

Can I start my own S-Corp or LLC using EAD and also continue working on H1B with my current employer? What will be status - H1B or Parolee(EAD)

Will I loose my H1B status as soon as I use EAD?

I would like to play safe and rather pass on this business opportunity to my current employer and remain on his H1B too keep my H1B status if it is safer.

Please advise.

ameryki
04-13-2008, 09:44 PM
saloni,
something this big will effect your status. Once you form an LLC or something on those lines using your EAD it is my understanding that you will lose your H1 status. This is just from what I have understood from reading around here. You might want to consult a lawyer. Also you might look at posting this in a different section.

piyu7444
04-14-2008, 02:35 AM
As soon as you use EAD you will lose h1b for sure.......Moonlighting is something you would want to explore but the way USCIS explains it and define it.......it might be a big risk to take by using EAD but this is just me........

virtual55
04-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I don't think so, please read this document

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/AILA_2Apr08.pdf

read this document, go to Addendum II

saloni
04-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks virtual55.
AS PER THE ADDENDUM II
In guidance issued by legacy INS after the 1999 rule change, the Service stated the following:
However, an H-1 or L-1 nonimmigrant will violate his/her nonimmigrant status is s/he uses the EAD to leave the employer listed on the approved I-129 petition and engage in employment for a separate employer.22 (Emphasis in original).
AILA believes that a nonimmigrant who “moonlights” pursuant to an EAD has not “left” his or her employer, and thus is still maintaining proper status. AILA requests USCIS to confirm that, in the case of an H-1B or L-1 nonimmigrant, present in the United States under a valid petition in either classification, who moonlights pursuant to an EAD, still maintains his H-1B or L-1 status.

I think as per the Addendum II, USCIS has yet to certify that moonlighting will not loose the H1B status. AS OF TODAY ,working with additional employer on EAD will void the status.

bigboy007
04-18-2008, 04:50 AM
But here is the key point when one uses EAD uscis doesnt outright know what status he is in as he just signs I-9 form which is just with employer. so weigh your options but to be safe once taking up EAD means done with H1b

Thanks virtual55.
AS PER THE ADDENDUM II
In guidance issued by legacy INS after the 1999 rule change, the Service stated the following:
However, an H-1 or L-1 nonimmigrant will violate his/her nonimmigrant status is s/he uses the EAD to leave the employer listed on the approved I-129 petition and engage in employment for a separate employer.22 (Emphasis in original).
AILA believes that a nonimmigrant who “moonlights” pursuant to an EAD has not “left” his or her employer, and thus is still maintaining proper status. AILA requests USCIS to confirm that, in the case of an H-1B or L-1 nonimmigrant, present in the United States under a valid petition in either classification, who moonlights pursuant to an EAD, still maintains his H-1B or L-1 status.

I think as per the Addendum II, USCIS has yet to certify that moonlighting will not loose the H1B status. AS OF TODAY ,working with additional employer on EAD will void the status.

virtual55
04-18-2008, 10:02 AM
if you have both H1B and EAD they both are valid work authorizations and you can work with both of them as long as they are valid and AILA thinks that we can moonlight with EAD while working on H1B and they asked the same question to USCIS and also there is no way for USCIS to track if you are working on H1B and EAD as far I know.

But here is the key point when one uses EAD uscis doesnt outright know what status he is in as he just signs I-9 form which is just with employer. so weigh your options but to be safe once taking up EAD means done with H1b

texanguy
12-15-2008, 06:04 PM
Have anyone heard any updates from AILA about this issue? if one knows this for sure, atleast in these days, people can start working a second (may be non-technical) job on EAD...that way you should be able to save some money for the rainy days...

bobzibub
12-15-2008, 07:02 PM
Have anyone heard any updates from AILA about this issue? if one knows this for sure, atleast in these days, people can start working a second (may be non-technical) job on EAD...that way you should be able to save some money for the rainy days...

AILA wouldn't be the ones to update us wouldn't they? USCIS is the one that makes the call. We can pester AILA to ask for an "update on the status of the decision making process" and that would likely make them finally do something.
I've asked the ombudsman on this issue. Never got a response.

IMHO:
I think that after a year (It must be getting close now) of being formally asked by AILA, USCIS basically must allow moonlighting under an EAD because they did not cite any law against it. They basically accepted AILA's interpretation when they stated that they "took it under advisement" and left it at that. Even if there is a magical law that appears now barring the practice, their inaction after so long has "blue skied" the moonlighting for at least those already practicing it. What alternative conclusion could an immigrant draw?