PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment benefit

ar7165
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM
My gc is in process, both I-140 and I-485 is approved over 180 days back. I have a valid EAD. Recently I lost my job (laid off). Can I apply for unemployment benefit?

GotFreedom?
07-20-2009, 02:50 PM
If your I-485 is already approved, you already have a GC (your status is permanent resident) regardless if you have the physical card in possession or not. You do not need EAD to work in the US. You are allowed to work wherever you may choose without worrying about work authorization. Your GC is your work authorization as well.

Sorry to hear about your job loss. With I-485 already approved, you should be able to apply for the unemployment benefits but I do not know what kind of implications it might have when you go for citizenship. I beleive, you are elegible to reap the benefits of the social benefits even if its considered burden.

ar7165
07-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry, I mistakenly wrote earlier that my I-485 is approved. It is not. It is at pending status. That's why I was wondering if I'm eligible to apply for Unemployement benefit.

Be_Pragmatic
07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm in a similar predicament as well. I'm on EAD and 485 is pending, can I claim unemployment benefits?

GotFreedom?
07-23-2009, 06:28 PM
It varies from state to state based upon which money pool is used to pay the beneficiaries, but it is wise to not to go for it. You will show up as social burden at the time of adjudication and may affect the IOs descision while granting you the AOS approval or not.

Its my 2 cents. You may wanna talk to your attorney before even thinking about filing for such benefits.

Be_Pragmatic
07-23-2009, 06:35 PM
It varies from state to state based upon which money pool is used to pay the beneficiaries, but it is wise to not to go for it. You will show up as social burden at the time of adjudication and may affect the IOs descision while granting you the AOS approval or not.

Its my 2 cents. You may wanna talk to your attorney before even thinking about filing for such benefits.

OK, thanks much for your suggestion. I'll consult my attorney before plunging in.

kumar1
07-23-2009, 07:04 PM
With my limited knowledge on this topic -- Unemployment is not considered a social burden. It is funded by all employers. At no time, govt funds this pool with tax payer's money so I would not call it a social burden. Personally, if unemployment office is ready to give me a check, I would collect it !

number30
07-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm in a similar predicament as well. I'm on EAD and 485 is pending, can I claim unemployment benefits?

Only problem is that, it will become a documented proof of your current unemployment. Otherwise it is just insurance. Dependents can go that safely. Primary I am not sure.

sanjay02
07-28-2009, 03:47 AM
Hi
My PD is Nov 2005 , I had I-485 interview in Feb 2009, because dates werent current I was given a letter saying "Your case has been continued because of VISA unavailability"

My question is if I claim unemployment insurance would I have issues in GC adjucation? ( Since my case is already pre-adjucated)?

Thnks

vin13
07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
As others have already mentioned each state has a different rule. Based on your state, you may be eligible for unemployment benefits. But what is more important is that now you are saying you do not have a job by claiming unemployment. Green Cards are for future job. If you are on unemployment compensation, how would you prove your eligibility for green card if questioned.

Dependent family members can avail unemployment without much concern of jeopardizing their Green Card.

Riakapoor
09-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Hello All,

I am on a dependent EAD. I lost my job (laid off) few days back. Can I enroll for unemplyment benefits as i am reading the threads that dependents can enroll into UB. But just want to make sure before going forward. We are on I-485 pending status.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance!

bluekayal
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
you can apply for UI - Unemployment insurance, NOT Unemployment benefit. The first is an insurance, the second a benefit that will impact your GC application.

fide_champ
09-16-2009, 05:06 PM
USCIS will have no way of knowing whether someone is collecting Unemployment benefits. At the time of I-485 approval, they may need your EVL to prove your employment if you have used AC21. As long as you can provide that letter, you should be safe whether you collect Unemployment benefit or not.

Riakapoor
09-16-2009, 05:10 PM
you can apply for UI - Unemployment insurance, NOT Unemployment benefit. The first is an insurance, the second a benefit that will impact your GC application.

Does that not effect our GC process at all? Do you know the time limit to apply for UI? I mean with in how many days after getting laid off can I apply for UI?

Thanks a ton!

simple1
09-16-2009, 05:19 PM
If you are genuine: Don’t do it. It will affect your GC.

If you are losers guild member using Indian name to post: Leave this forum immediately. I am tired of fake posts. I personally believe Riakapoor and ar7165 are fake.

Hello All,

I am on a dependent EAD. I lost my job (laid off) few days back. Can I enroll for unemplyment benefits as i am reading the threads that dependents can enroll into UB. But just want to make sure before going forward. We are on I-485 pending status.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance!

My gc is in process, both I-140 and I-485 is approved over 180 days back. I have a valid EAD. Recently I lost my job (laid off). Can I apply for unemployment benefit?

fide_champ
09-16-2009, 05:33 PM
here is an article from murthy about unemployment benefits:

MurthyDotCom : Unemployment Benefits and Impact on U.S. Immigration (http://www.murthy.com/news/n_unembe.html)

bluekayal
09-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Thank you!

MurthyDotCom : Unemployment Benefits and Impact on U.S. Immigration (http://www.murthy.com/news/n_unembe.html)

Riakapoor
09-16-2009, 06:17 PM
If you are genuine: Donít do it. It will affect your GC.

If you are losers guild member using Indian name to post: Leave this forum immediately. I am tired of fake posts. I personally believe Riakapoor and ar7165 are fake.

Thanks for the advice. Excuse me how could you say that riakapoor is a fake? I am not active in IV but that doesn't mean I am fake.

Riakapoor
09-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Thank you!

Thanks for all the help. I will surely look into the link.

Riakapoor
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Thank you!