PDA

View Full Version : Transit Visa need to Travel Via-Germany

vishwak
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Transit Visa need to Travel Via-Germany if you don't have valid Visa or Travelling on AP.

Please who are travelling Via---> Germany should hold Transit visa, if they don't have Valid US Visa or using AP.

I believe this rule came recently, please see below link of German Consulate Website for more information.

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html)

This applies to people who are going to India to get Visa at Consulate in India too.

If any one is Travelling Visa- Germany (Frankfurt/Munich etc) please take necessary steps.

And this is new and most of the passengers/Airport people might not be aware, better be safe than sorry later.

adibhatla
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
•Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years),

Can't this be construed as AP doc.??

stupendousman11
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Slight clarification to the new regulations:

Based on the "If they return from the USA after having used the visa" exemption, you don't need a transit visa for the USA-Germany-India leg. But for the return you'll either need an AP+transit visa OR a valid USA visa.

This exemption (and regulation) is the same as that for France. And I just traveled to India and back (in Dec2010) through Paris on expired USA visa and therefore know the above to be true (at least for France).

ak_manu
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I am traveling this month end to India via Frankfurt. I am on AP. I checked with German consulate in US and officer told me we need transit visa both ways (going and coming back). there are no exceptions. He confirmed the same twice when I went in person to get Transit visa.

I would rather listen to German consulate office rather than interpreting stupid sentences on German consulate web site. So please do get Transit visa with 2 entries.

rajsri
01-12-2011, 03:01 PM
I travelled to India in December via Germany. I don't have a valid visa on my passport, but they allowed me to travel to India.
While coming back we have a valid US visa. I checked at Lufthansa counters in IAD airport and they said the transit visa is not required for immediate international flights.

gcseeker2002
01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
I am traveling this month end to India via Frankfurt. I am on AP. I checked with German consulate in US and officer told me we need transit visa both ways (going and coming back). there are no exceptions. He confirmed the same twice when I went in person to get Transit visa.

I would rather listen to German consulate office rather than interpreting stupid sentences on German consulate web site. So please do get Transit visa with 2 entries.

No transit visa required. I got an identical response when I checked with the german consulate in november. Nevertheless, I did not take transit visa, and with visa stamping expired in March 2010, I travelled with AP on Lufthansa from IAD to BLR in December, and returned in Jan 2011, and nobody even mentioned the word "transit" anywhere along the route. Lufthansa staff is very knowledgeable about AP, both in Wash.Dulles and BLR. In fact, In BLR I saw that even Air France also does not require transit visa for Paris and allowed people with AP to board without transit visa. So folks, dont waste time and money on transit visa. Nothing is going to happen , unless you miss your connecting flight in Frankfurt, in which case you will not get to stay in a hotel and would have to spend the transit time in the airport.

h1-b forever
01-13-2011, 10:11 AM
How much does the Transit visa cost?

krishmunn
01-13-2011, 10:22 AM
•Permit to re-enter (valid for two years. This document guarantees the holder’s return only if his stay outside the USA has not exceeded two years),

Can't this be construed as AP doc.??

That is Re-Entry permit whcih you can get after getting a GC (if you intend to stay abroad for over 1 year )

sreeni.k
01-13-2011, 11:52 AM
I tried to book tickets on makemytrip for luftansa yesterday; After going through all passport details etc- for over 2 hours checking etc the agent coolly told me that transit visa is required for advance parole holders. If you carefully see the regulations they mention "2 Years" permit not "1 year" validity of Advance parole. I also heard stories of multiple people blocked from boarding luftansa on advance parole. So i switched and booked on emirates instead. Apparently this rule is either enforced or not depends on the discretion of luftansa personel. So be carefull if you are on advance parole- Looks like germans also trying to get on the Visa Fee pie.

No transit visa required. I got an identical response when I checked with the german consulate in november. Nevertheless, I did not take transit visa, and with visa stamping expired in March 2010, I travelled with AP on Lufthansa from IAD to BLR in December, and returned in Jan 2011, and nobody even mentioned the word "transit" anywhere along the route. Lufthansa staff is very knowledgeable about AP, both in Wash.Dulles and BLR. In fact, In BLR I saw that even Air France also does not require transit visa for Paris and allowed people with AP to board without transit visa. So folks, dont waste time and money on transit visa. Nothing is going to happen , unless you miss your connecting flight in Frankfurt, in which case you will not get to stay in a hotel and would have to spend the transit time in the airport.

eb3retro
01-13-2011, 12:10 PM
just came back from india via frankfurt using AP. no h1b in passport. no questions asked, no one even verified AP. so, i can confirm that, i just came back 10 days ago. hope this helps. Took lufthansa.

vishwak
01-13-2011, 04:33 PM
No transit visa required. I got an identical response when I checked with the german consulate in november. Nevertheless, I did not take transit visa, and with visa stamping expired in March 2010, I travelled with AP on Lufthansa from IAD to BLR in December, and returned in Jan 2011, and nobody even mentioned the word "transit" anywhere along the route. Lufthansa staff is very knowledgeable about AP, both in Wash.Dulles and BLR. In fact, In BLR I saw that even Air France also does not require transit visa for Paris and allowed people with AP to board without transit visa. So folks, dont waste time and money on transit visa. Nothing is going to happen , unless you miss your connecting flight in Frankfurt, in which case you will not get to stay in a hotel and would have to spend the transit time in the airport.

Hey gcseeker2002, after 300+ postings also how can you post such a thing.

This is new rule implemented and by thinking you as senior if someone goes and faces problem will you be responsible. So please don't do this boss.

To All Who believe no need to have valid VISA while going back to India or their country.
This is email got from German Consulate at Washington DC to my collegue.

German Cosulate Rep at DC: You wrote that your visa for the United States already expired in September 2010. Therefore you do not fall under Exception Nr. 2. This exception is meant for persons travelling to the US holding a valid US-visa (e.g. a visitors visa with one entry) on their way travelling to the US (Exception 1) and travelling back to their home country during the validity dates of this same visa, but already having used it for entering the US (Exception2) . I hope this clarifies your additional question. I suggest that you apply for an Airport Transit Visa as soon as possible to avoid any problems when travelling back to India via Frankfurt airport.

vishwak
01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Eb3Retro,

Did you drive car on High Way over the speed limit and got ticket.
And passer by drivers at Higher Speed than you. Can you point police for stopping you.

So don't tell that you are fine and everybody is fine.

What if someone here saw your postings (800+ posting guru) and travels wihtout Transit Visa and Aitport people ask for Transit Visa and missed flight--- Have to stay at Airport for hours.

Try to accept rules guys....

eb3retro
01-13-2011, 04:40 PM
u know what, gcseeker2002 is correct to the dot. we do not need a transit visa while coming thru germany in lufthansa. no one even mentions that word. i called and emailed the german consulate b4 i flew out of US, all people including german consulate, travel agent (2 of them),, mentioned that i require it and still i travelled back without it. no one mentioned that word. trust me guys, u wont require it, i just came 10 days ago just with AP.

NOTE : I also recd such emails from German consulate.

[...]

01-13-2011, 04:44 PM
Eb3Retro,

Did you drive car on High Way over the speed limit and got ticket.
And passer by drivers at Higher Speed than you. Can you point police for stopping you.

So don't tell that you are fine and everybody is fine.

What if someone here saw your postings (800+ posting guru) and travels wihtout Transit Visa and Aitport people ask for Transit Visa and missed flight--- Have to stay at Airport for hours.

Try to accept rules guys....

easyvishwak, there is a common disclaimer in any of the internet forums that you take the information with a pinch of salt. people post their experiences, whether to follow or not is totally your call. Next time, I wont be so polite when writing my response because you mentioned some unnecessary things in your response to my post. So, please do not aggrevate me. that was my experience, whether you want to take it or not, or, if others want to take it or not is totally upto them. same way, u dont speak for others. keep it to the point and dont do any personal attacks.

vishwak
01-13-2011, 04:48 PM
easyvishwak, there is a common disclaimer in any of the internet forums that you take the information with a pinch of salt. people post their experiences, whether to follow or not is totally your call. Next time, I wont be so polite when writing my response because you mentioned some unnecessary things in your response to my post. So, please do not aggrevate me. that was my experience, whether you want to take it or not, or, if others want to take it or not is totally upto them. same way, u dont speak for others. keep it to the point and dont do any personal attacks.

Hey does my posting is offending you, if sorry man.

I'm just concerned as we see lot of people who come here to gain knowledge.
And some lazy guys see postings and take them granted you know. Thats why I don't want someone to be in that situation. Have nice evening my friend.

jjava100
01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I took Lufthansa and traveled in November via Frankfurt with out a valid visa and did not had any issues with the transit visa. I had visa while coming back.

eb3retro
01-13-2011, 05:08 PM
thats ok, no need of apologies. all i am asking you is to keep it to the point that you opened this thread for and discuss the options. We do not need to go into who is the guru here with so many number of postings etc..its totally irrelevant to this thread. again, when you open a thread with questions, please be prepared not to accept atleast expect different forms of opinions from different people. u have a nice evening too.

Hey does my posting is offending you, if sorry man.

I'm just concerned as we see lot of people who come here to gain knowledge.
And some lazy guys see postings and take them granted you know. Thats why I don't want someone to be in that situation. Have nice evening my friend.

PlainSpeak
01-13-2011, 05:46 PM
thats ok, no need of apologies. all i am asking you is to keep it to the point that you opened this thread for and discuss the options. We do not need to go into who is the guru here with so many number of postings etc..its totally irrelevant to this thread. again, when you open a thread with questions, please be prepared not to accept atleast expect different forms of opinions from different people. u have a nice evening too.
Ok what i have heard after calling Lufthansa is because of the new Schezewan (I knmow i spelled it worng) visa changes AP is no longer considered a valid visa document by Germany. It used to before but no longer and of course France, England and other countres never did. So coming back to Germany yes while travelling to and fro you need a transit visa (Direction does not make any difference because as far as Germany is concerned you are from India and you have no Valid visa to America and/or any european country so you are suspect of trying to illegally enter Germany and to avioid it you need to buy transit visa).

I myself was plannig for a trip and was trying for travle via Doha and Qatar where no transit visa is required. (Us to gluf direct flight. Gulf to any city in india) but the rates were high. If you like you can look at that opiton too. beats the hell out of going to teh german embassy and getting a transit visa. But if that is your preference go with it

All the best

gcseeker2002
01-13-2011, 06:04 PM
[...]

vishwak, dont consider my seniority by number of posts. As is I am going through so much injustice in life, having spent 12 years in this country and still waiting for GC bcos of this stupid EB3 mess, and now the germans decide to harrass me by asking for transit visa ? Not that I dont want to follow rules, but after spending 12 years waiting for GC, I am glad that I broke atleast one rule, of travelling through frankfurt to and from india without the damned transit visa. Of course I was travelling alone, and my family was not travelling , and hence I could risk it out. This does in no way prevent anybody in this forum or the world from not getting transit visa and continue to be opressed by the germans. Folks, I have just told my experience, rest is upto you if you want to get the transit visa .

eb3retro
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
gcseeker, u just spoke my mind, this was exactly what was going in my mind, when i decided not to take transit visa. i just cant believe, there is another soul who thinks just the way, i thought, look at my PD, came to US in 1999, still no GC after 12 years, planning to leave back to india for good, this year..oh well, life goes on..

vishwak, dont consider my seniority by number of posts. As is I am going through so much injustice in life, having spent 12 years in this country and still waiting for GC bcos of this stupid EB3 mess, and now the germans decide to harrass me by asking for transit visa ? Not that I dont want to follow rules, but after spending 12 years waiting for GC, I am glad that I broke atleast one rule, of travelling through frankfurt to and from india without the damned transit visa. Of course I was travelling alone, and my family was not travelling , and hence I could risk it out. This does in no way prevent anybody in this forum or the world from not getting transit visa and continue to be opressed by the germans. Folks, I have just told my experience, rest is upto you if you want to get the transit visa .

gvenkat
01-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Transit visa is the biggest fraud ever on the face of us. As a principle I NEVER traveled on Transit visa after it came in to existence.

It's absolutely ridiculous to charge $$ for a visa where all you are going to do is take a dump in their airport.. :mad::mad::mad:

Indians should not patronize airlines demanding transit visa. atleast people who need transit visa should not fly..

sreeni.k
01-13-2011, 10:44 PM
I agree with you completely; I will never travel through frankfurt or any german airport again or any german airline. I think they see indians are sticklers for procedure/afraid lets milk them for some visa money. All we will be doing is get off one airline and switch to other one. Probably that takes like 2 hours within the terminal and for that you have to fill in a paper work, money and spend more time then that gab. This is just out right harrassment. Let them rot in hell :mad:.

Transit visa is the biggest fraud ever on the face of us. As a principle I NEVER traveled on Transit visa after it came in to existence.

It's absolutely ridiculous to charge $$ for a visa where all you are going to do is take a dump in their airport.. :mad::mad::mad:

Indians should not patronize airlines demanding transit visa. atleast people who need transit visa should not fly..

brawn81
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Transit visa is needed for indian citizens who are travelling with AP and without visa through lufthansa/Germany.

Here is my conversation with German embassy.

Exception Number 3 apply to you. So that means that you need to apply
for an airport transit visa.

Kind regards,

xx schrieb am 13.01.2011 18:45 Uhr:
> Thanks for the quick reply. I have valid employment authorization card
> for the U.S, valid Advance parole paper (512-L, Authorization for
> parole of an Alien Into the United States. as mentioned in exception 3.
>
> Can you confirm that I dont need transit visa.
>
> /Thanks,/
> /xx./
>

> > Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 13:36:31 -0500
> > From: xx@newy.auswaertiges-amt.de
> > To: xx@hotmail.com
> > Subject: your inquiry
> >
> > Dear xx,
> >
> > thank you for your inquiry.
> >
> > As a citizen of India you are required to apply for an airport transit
> > visa. However, there are certain exceptions to this rule. The
> exceptions
> > are listed in the section on Airport Transit Visa on our website
> > German Missions in the United States - Visa (http://www.germany.info/visa) <http://www.germany.info/visa> . (The direct link
> > is:
> >
> German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html)
>
> > )
> >
> > *_Please note the following further explanations:_*
> >
> > *_ _*
> >
> > *Exception 1)* “If they hold a valid visa for the United States of
> > America” – this means that the U.S. visa stamp in your passport must be
> > still valid on the day of your airport transit
> >
> > _ _
> >
> > *Exception 2)* “If they return from the USA after having used the visa”
> > – this means that the
> >
> > the U.S. visa stamp in your passport must be still valid on the day of
> > your airport transit, OR that the visa has expired within the last 3-4
> > days. If the U.S. visa in your passport has expired for longer that 3-4
> > days ago, you are required to obtain a transit visa. __
> >
> > *Exception 3) *All travelers holding a
> >
> > - valid Approval Notice (I 797)
> >
> > - valid I 94
> >
> > - valid employment authorization card for the U.S.
> >
> > - valid Advance parole paper (512-L, Authorization for parole of an
> > Alien Into the United States, )
> >
> > also *have to apply for an airport transit visa* according to European
> > Union legislation, as those documents are not listed under exception 3.
> >
> > Applicants are required to submit their application in person at our
> > Consulate. You may find a list of required documents at
> > German Missions in the United States - Visa (http://www.germany.info/visa) <http://www.germany.info/visa>. Please schedule a
> > visa appointment online at German Missions in the United States - Address, Contact, Hours (http://www.germany.info/nyappointment)
> > <http://www.germany.info/nyappointment> prior visit at our Consulate.
> >
> > The visa processing time for Indian Nationals takes approx. 2 business
> > days.
> > For a postage fee of $19 we may mail your passport back via FedEx once
> [...]

jax999
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Anybody Travelled with only Advance Payrole through Frankfurt recently please post ?

where they will check for transit visa in usa while boarding or in frankfurt or in india while return ?

My nationality is Indian. Presently i am residing in USA . I have " Advance Payrole Document " . I am planning to travel in this February 2011 from " Atlanta -> Frankfurt -> India(Hyderabad) " and return is in May 2011 from " India(Hyderabad) -> Frankfurt -> Atlanta " in lufthansa airways.

So shall i go for this round trip with a valid " Advance Payrole Document " only ? or i need to have " Air Transit Visa ? If i need Air transit Visa could you please let me know how to apply and what documents i need to submit .

please help already buyed tickets from lufthansa website. non refundable ticket. before that one time i cancelled ticket. airport transit visa shall we apply by post/mail ? in person cant go because very far totally 30 hors drive that too with infant driving not possible . please help ?

While pending i-485 if i applied for German airport transit visa is there any negative concerns because of that ?

Please reply soon . I really appriciate you . Thank You.

eb3retro
01-30-2011, 01:57 AM
follow thru my posts , i recently came back from india with AP and no transit visa thru germany

[...]

01-30-2011, 08:10 AM
[...]

I went to India in 1st week of Dec and returned Jan 1st through Lufthansa(Frankfurt), and both ways, no transit visa was asked for or checked for either before boarding/check-in or in Frankfurt. On the way to India, they just make sure you have a Indian visa(or passport) and on way back, they just check if you have US visa(or AP). Don't worry too much, believe me, it is more of an embarrasment for Lufthansa ,in front of several hundreds of travellers, to deny boarding to someone without transit visa. If they do it, they know they would get free negative publicity that would erode their traveller base for years .

kedar_007
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Hello All-

I am going to India via Franfurt next week.

I have AP with visa expired.

I saw the following document on German Consulate - New Delhi. http://www.new-delhi.diplo.de/contentblob/1827030/Daten/857105/DD_Airport_Transit_A.pdf

It says:
- a valid residence permit or visa for the USA, Japan, and Canada
- An Airport Transit Visa is not required for holders of valid visa issued by
Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Ireland, United Kingdom, Canada, Japan or
the USA irrespective of the travel destination.

I have a Canadian Visitor Visa. Do you think I will need Airport Transit Visa or I am reading it wrong?

Thanks for any help!

vishwak
02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Try consulate German Consulate and they will reply quickly.

old_hat
03-09-2011, 01:58 PM
My wife travelled to India via Munich (Lufthansa) in Feb end and she had no issues with transit visa. She was never asked about it. The I-94 had expired and we have a valid AP and approved H1 (unstamped). She has not returned yet, so any requirement on return journey is untested.

I was nervous before she left and was wondering if I need a transit visa for her. Thanks everyone who posted their experiences.

sathishav
03-09-2011, 02:06 PM
My wife travelled to India via Munich (Lufthansa) in Feb end and she had no issues with transit visa. She was never asked about it. The I-94 had expired and we have a valid AP and approved H1 (unstamped). She has not returned yet, so any requirement on return journey is untested.

I was nervous before she left and was wondering if I need a transit visa for her. Thanks everyone who posted their experiences.

Second Old_hat.

jethro11
04-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi,
I will be traveling during May to India (Bangalore) with a 3 hour layover in Frankfurt (Lufthansa). Is there anyone who has just returned through frankfurt without a transit visa?
What is confusing is that on the Indian website of Lufthansa it says that "Expired Visa with I797 extension notice accepted " Check out the last line in bold font.

Transit Visa Regulation for Indian Residents

In order to ensure a smooth and hassle free tansit through two Schengen States or when booking a Journey from India to USA via Canada, please pay attention to the transit visa regulations.

Indian passport holders in possession of a valid visa to USA and traveling to USA via Canada require a Canadian Transit Visa.
Routing Example : Bengaluru - Frankfurt -Toronto- Newark - Frankfurt - Bengaluru

In the above routing, the indian resident would require a Candian Transit Visa even if there is no stopover in Toronto.

Indian passport holders in possession of a valid visa to their final destination, but transiting via two Schengen States, require a valid Schengen Visa.

Routing Example : Chennai- Frankfurt- Paris -Chicago- Frankfurt- Chennai

In the above routing, the Indian resident would require a Schengen Visa even if there no stopover in Frankfurt or Paris.

Indian nationals can Transit without Visa via FRA/MUC if holding a valid visa for the destination and a valid Visa for any of the following countries

Bulgaria, Canada, Cyprus, Ireland, Japan, Liechtenstein,
Romania, UK and USA (Expired Visa with I797 extension notice accepted - Schengen Visa.

solaris27
04-20-2011, 03:22 PM
you don't need visa to go through Frankfurt

jethro11
04-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Solaris27,
Thanks for your reply, there are a lot of conflicting reports from different sources so I wanted to be sure. Have you traveled in the past month or know of anybody who has come back without a transit visa through Frankfurt? The new Schengen visa rules are causing a lot of confusion. Thanks!

bsnf
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM
I traveled to India and back via Frankfurt (Lufthansa) last month and did not have any issues. I have an AP which was approved 2 weeks before I traveled to India.

jethro11
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
bsnf and solaris27,
Thanks for your prompt replies. It is good to get reliable first hand information from travelers instead of relying upon reports from consulates, airline websites etc which all contradict one another. Just out of curiosity, did anybody in India or Frankfurt ask to see the Advance Parole papers before allowing you to board the flight?

bsnf
04-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I was asked for the AP in India and Germany. The custom officer in India was aware of the AP and immediately completed the process and let me go. In Germany the 1st person ( probability a new hire) did not understand the AP so he asked another custom officer to look at the AP document. The other office looked at the AP and then explained the document to the 1st officer and let me go.

BTW, the trip last month was the 3rd time I traveled to India on AP.

jethro11
04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
bsnf,
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, it is very reassuring to hear from fellow travelers about their experiences. Like you, I am an EB3 - India with a priority date of Oct 2004. It's bad enough doing AP and EAD renewals yearly, not to mention the 3 times I had to get H1-B stampings. I refuse to apply for a visa just to go through an airport. Next time I will take a direct flight to avoid these ad-hoc EU rule changes. Again thanks for your patience and promptness in helping others.

vhd999
04-21-2011, 12:23 PM
My wife went to India last month on AP via Frankfurt without any visa. She faced no problems while going and coming back.

While coming back, at the Indian airports, they do check for the visa/ap/gc before they let you aboard.

I guess the confusion part is that the consulate's version of the visa requirements do not match the visa requirements enforced at the airports.

jethro11
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM
vhd999,
Thanks for another report of using AP without problems. I agree with you about conflicting reports from the German mission and airports. Based upon my research, the airlines only need to confirm that the destination country will allow you entry. While going to India, we have a passport and while coming back to the US we have the AP, so it is a simple matter. I don't know why they have a hundred clauses and sub clauses to determine who needs a transit visa. I am also going to carry my I-797 notice of action which is valid until Dec 2011. That should suffice in my opinion. Thanks to all for clearing all the confusion on these forums.