PDA

View Full Version : I-485 Address change mess

irrational
04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Folks,
I checked my status online today (4/1/2008) and this is what it says:

"On December 13, 2007, the post office returned the notice we last sent you on this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS as undeliverable. This may have serious effects on processing this case. Please call 1-800-375-5283 to update your mailing address for this notice to be re-sent."

I had subscribed to email notification, but I didn't get any email in december :confused: . It has been 3.5 months since that notice.. So I am little tensed.

My Situation:

PD - Feb-2005
Labor - Approved
I-140 - Approved

I-485 - Address mistake, filed the address correction on 9/18/2008 and got the confirmation in the mail that the address was changed.

I immediately called the number listed and opened a SR for this. The CSR said he cannot look at my file to see what address is listed. I am not sure how I can get to a Level 2 IO ?

So I am not sure, what notice was sent and where ? Is there anything else I can do ? Will InfoPass help ?

I am thinking that it might be the FP appointment but I am not sure.

-Bipin

webm
04-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I faced there are times that Email notification trigger didn't worked as expected.:(

sparky_jones
04-01-2008, 05:10 PM
I also got an sudden status update on Jan 7, 2008 that a notice was returned undeliverable on Nov 5, 2007. There was not status update before that. I took an InfoPass appoitnment. The agent at the appointment told me that everything looked fine on my case and she couldn't tell why my online status indicated that something was returned.

I would say...don't bother about it...but if you really want to be sure, take an InfoPass appoinment and check it out.

irrational
04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
May I ask which Service Center is your app in.

Mine is in TSC.

-Bipin

milind70
04-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Folks,
I checked my status online today (4/1/2008) and this is what it says:

"On December 13, 2007, the post office returned the notice we last sent you on this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS as undeliverable. This may have serious effects on processing this case. Please call 1-800-375-5283 to update your mailing address for this notice to be re-sent."

I had subscribed to email notification, but I didn't get any email in december :confused: . It has been 3.5 months since that notice.. So I am little tensed.

My Situation:

PD - Feb-2005
Labor - Approved
I-140 - Approved

I-485 - Address mistake, filed the address correction on 9/18/2008 and got the confirmation in the mail that the address was changed.

I immediately called the number listed and opened a SR for this. The CSR said he cannot look at my file to see what address is listed. I am not sure how I can get to a Level 2 IO ?

So I am not sure, what notice was sent and where ? Is there anything else I can do ? Will InfoPass help ?

I am thinking that it might be the FP appointment but I am not sure.

-Bipin

I and my wife had applied online for our EADs in Nov2007 , we got our EAD RN in a week time but in Jan i got FP notice for EAD and Jan 19 2008 my EAD got approved and mailed as per the online status , but when i checked for my wifes status it said notice returned undeliverable . My wife wrote to to the service centre with copies of her 485 FP, EAD RN which had the same address as well as a copy of the EAD application showing the same address as well as to the local Post Office as to why this was returned as undeliverable when all the other notices were fine . We did fedex these applications overnight and two days the online status changed as card approved and she got her EAD on Jan 30th or so.
I would suggest if this is a mistake of USPS who have returned the notice even though the address is correct write to USCIS with copies of earlier notices with the same address and request them to resend and to USPS asking as to why the notice was returned as underlivered where as earlier other notices were delivered.
It worked for us , we did not get into the hassle of calling Customer Support and taking infopass and going to Local office as these are pretty cumbersome and time consuming. It did cost us 14 dollars for express mail via USPS but apart from that it was fine and it worked. Hope our experience helps

bekugc
04-01-2008, 10:21 PM
hi irrational;

if this is of any help to u, my friend got this same "the post office returned the notice" msg few months ago. His appln was in nebraska service center. he had gone to india and to prevent mailbox overflow they had given a stop order at the postoffice. When he further enquired about this they told him that reason for mail was "one of fingerprints on record for the spouse hadnt been proper and they wanted to re-take it". after this he got another FP notice and got it done.

irrational
04-03-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Milind70,
Can you please send me the format of the letter which your wife wrote to USCIS.

email: irrational.number [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks folks for providing me with the support

irrational
04-04-2008, 12:33 PM
Folks,
Here is some update. Hopefully, someone might find this useful.

Today (4/4/2008) I took an InfoPass appointment in Dallas:
The lady at the window said, the case is in TSC and that particular office(Local Office???) has not recieved the file yet. So she asked me to write a letter to TSC.

I thought I would call the TSC first and see if I can get a quicker response:

I called the TSC using the key combo (Thanks guys)
The agent was helpful:
- The Notice which was returned was the Reciept Notices..It seems those will not be resent, so I should not worry about it.
- My Wife's address was still wrong on the file, I recorrected it. This is after I got a confirmation in the mail :confused: :( -- Is there anyway we/Lawyer can confirm it ?
- Our Finger Print Notices are initiated but not yet scheduled by the local ASC. We'll get notices once the FPs are scheduled (What does this mean???)

Key Combo used:
1-800-375-5283
1 -> 2 -> 2 -> 6 -> 1 .. Application Number .. 1 -> 1 -> 3 -> 4

If the message something like, "No agents are available at TSC.. trasfering to NSC" hangup and try again.

Hope this helps someone else too.

vphope
04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Is attorney not in the loop?
Why didnt he get any info?

Are we supposed to be monitoring all these...:mad:

irrational
04-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Our company went with a cheapo attorney.

But, from the lessons I learnt over time, WE have to be monitoring all these even if there is an attorney, since ultimately its our life which will be miserable. :o

sendmailtojk
04-04-2008, 04:47 PM
Despite updating the new address 2 times, and getting hard copy confirmation, FP notices for my wife and daughter have gone to the old address twice.

With an Infopass appointment, spoke to the guy at the local USCIS office. He confirmed that the current address is what is on their records.

Wonder how things work in USCIS. Keeping my fingers crossed for future mail!!!

irrational
04-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Use the key combo above and try calling and verifying your address with the IO.

They might be able to change it directly on file.

-----
How did you know that your FP notices were sent back ?

GCard_Dream
04-04-2008, 06:42 PM
If you have filed multiple applications like 485, EAD, AP, etc and then you move and do an address change using the AR-11 form, addresses in your pending applications will not get automatically changed. The AR-11 form doesn't change your address in the pending applications unless you filled out the AR-11 form online and specifically requested that addresses in all pending files be changed. This is so weired that the CIS would change address in their central database but the address in the pending applications wouldn't change.

If you fill out AR-11 online, it will ask you if you have any pending applications with USCIS and if so, if you want to update the address on those files. If you say yes the you would have to enter the case/receipt number of pending applications and the new address. Good luck.

Despite updating the new address 2 times, and getting hard copy confirmation, FP notices for my wife and daughter have gone to the old address twice.

With an Infopass appointment, spoke to the guy at the local USCIS office. He confirmed that the current address is what is on their records.

Wonder how things work in USCIS. Keeping my fingers crossed for future mail!!!