PDA

View Full Version : All Indian Consulates SUCK!!!

pooja_34
12-20-2010, 01:08 PM
I think Meera Shankar needs to be fired. Its bloody 2010 and this is the kind of customer service the indian consulates provide - they dont pick up calls - it takes them a month to issue new passports - Always feel ashamed to be an indian any time I have to deal with these useless consulates.

The Houston consulate does not even have their address properly listed on their website.

This is what they have listed

1990, Post Oak Boulevard,
# 600, 3 Post Oak Central,
Houston TX 77056

So what is the correct address ?? Is it 1990 Post Oak Blvd or 3 Post Oak Central ?? Bunch of freaking idiots is what we have in all these US consulates.

gmpa
12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I am very happy with the customer services of New York Indian Consulate. All our passport renewals (4 during last 3 years) happened in a timely fashion and that too thru post without any personal visit. Whenever I e-mailed them with a question, I received answers promptly. I called them to know about status and received precise replies.

I think Meera Shankar needs to be fired. Its bloody 2010 and this is the kind of customer service the indian consulates provide - they dont pick up calls - it takes them a month to issue new passports - Always feel ashamed to be an indian any time I have to deal with these useless consulates.

The Houston consulate does not even have their address properly listed on their website.

Houston TX 77056

So what is the correct address ?? Is it 1990 Post Oak Blvd or 3 Post Oak Central ?? Bunch of freaking idiots is what we have in all these US consulates.

pooja_34
12-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Good to hear that NY consulate is responsive. Houston and SF never answer the phone !!!

I am very happy with the customer services of New York Indian Consulate. All our passport renewals (4 during last 3 years) happened in a timely fashion and that too thru post without any personal visit. Whenever I e-mailed them with a question, I received answers promptly. I called them to know about status and received precise replies.

goel_ar
12-20-2010, 02:21 PM
NY never picks up call (passport, pio & receptions) or replies to mail.
Wait times in person are horrible - 5-6 hours. only 1 person to serve all the people for passports, pio /oci cards etc.
Their turnaround time is pretty good.

I prefer to deal with via postal even though it is walkable distance from my work.

HawaldarNaik
12-20-2010, 02:45 PM
For the past five years, i have been dealing with the SFO Indian consulate and they have been extremly efficient in processing my papers, when i have sent them over , be it for Visa or Passport.

Yes their customer service is not up to the standards but they have always responded positively within two weeks

gaz
12-20-2010, 02:56 PM
+1 for CGNY. We had gone for our daughters PIO card and had her with us - the consulate folks were extremely helpful and helped us through the process quickly so that our daughter wouldn't go through any discomfort in spite of a huge rush. We were in and out in less than 30 minutes of reaching the consulate (kudos to the security screener especially who spotted us waiting in line and led us right in to the counter).

Everyone was also very friendly and professional. I do agree with the phone calls responsiveness - we had a hard time reaching someone on the phone for our queries.

kpatel_29
12-20-2010, 03:33 PM
NY consulate is even worst than others. After a month of trying to reach them regarding my passport application, they told me they never received my application nor my passport. I had to sent them shipping tracking info and eventually they found my application sitting in a drawer. Never bother to opened it till than. I had to go through some higher level rank person to get my case resolved. The customer rep. phone is always busy, never able to get a hold.. I don't have to visit them for next 10 years,,,, thank GOD..

jai007
12-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Recently I had a very bad experience with CGI Houston. The CGI Houston is one of the horrible consulate that any one can imagine. I applied PIO card for my new born. I forgot to send the birth certificate with the application. They rejected the application and sent all my documents to my friends home address who was also applied PIO card for his child. Surprisingly he got one more guy’s (he is from another state) PIO card application and documents in the same package. I was lucky enough that it reached my friends hand. Otherwise I could not imagine what would have happened to my application and also the Certified Check.

I don’t know the consulate want to save courier money or they are irresponsible?

pooja_34
12-20-2010, 05:06 PM
I think we need an IV movement to fix the Indian Consulates - They are absolutely pathetic - Lets get our house in order before we try to fix the USCIS !!! Does anybody know what is the email address for Meera Shankar - Indian Ambassador to US. We need to bombard her with emails about how badly the Indian consulates in the US are run.

vhd999
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
I think we need an IV movement to fix the Indian Consulates - They are absolutely pathetic - Lets get our house in order before we try to fix the USCIS !!! Does anybody know what is the email address for Meera Shankar - Indian Ambassador to US. We need to bombard her with emails about how badly the Indian consulates in the US are run.

For a second, I thought you were joking. When will we start owning our problems.

abcdalways
12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
NY consulate is not the greatest but compared to Houston, it is fantastic. Recently I sent my papers for PIO to NY and they took their time but i did get it in 4 weeks time (their website says 2 weeks). I had to make multiple phone calls and if i used the automated system, it would take me to a phone that no one ever answered. If i went through the operator I was invariably forwarded to a wrong department or was told there is no one in the PIO department on that day!! But eventually, I did manage to reach the right person, who told me when to expect the passport and it did arrive in due course. I did send them multiple emails as mentioned at their web page that promised faster responses but till now I have not received any reply till date!

My friend had to send her papers to the consulate in Houston and it is absolutely horrible. Firstly, no one ever answers the phone at any of the listed numbers. An automated response asks you to wait in line and then after an extended duration, you are bumped back to the start of the line. No one replies to emails. Then they send back your passport on flimsy grounds without giving proper reasons. When you send it back, they find a new reason to send it back as my friend had to endure. Eventually, she had to find an 'agent' who charged her $1100 to get her PIO card which he did within a day. When asked to give the breakup of the costs, he said he has to bribe people in the consulate to get the job done.
So this in essence is the real reason why no one answers the phone in Houston or people are given the run about ..corruption. They want you to use the services of these agents who in turn bribe them and get the work done.
NY consulate is slow and tardy but Houston is corrupt, probably all the way to the top. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to address these issues!! somewhere i saw a petition doing the rounds on the web complaining about the Houston consulate but I doubt if it will change anything.

sekhar123
12-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I sent in my passport renewal on Aug 1st, no update as of now. Sent them e-mails no response. Shame on you CGNY.

pooja_34
12-21-2010, 10:08 AM
This is ridiculous - We really need a movement to fix the Indian Consulates. It sucks to be born in a country with 1 billion people. Long lines and struggle for everything :)

I sent in my passport renewal on Aug 1st, no update as of now. Sent them e-mails no response. Shame on you CGNY.

letstalklc
12-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I agree 100%, all these consulates are peace of crap, the way they behave is un believable, I have been to New York Office twice, both the times very bad, I don't think they change...

May be external ministry has to look into it and fire all of them, If I am in one of the position to do, will do it next minute...

vz2kl
12-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Houston Indian consulate is horrible. Just horrible. They are rude and totally anti-customer friendly. It is unbelieveable how rude they can be. I have tried to contact him numerous times in my last 10 yrs in US and never was I able to get a reply to my emails/faxes or phone calls. I had trouble when i was an indian citizen and had to renew my passport, had trouble when I had to get tourist visa, had trouble when i had to get my indian passport cancelled and trouble when i had to get some misc. services for my daughter. They keep changing rules (example they changed the way they give tourist visas to people of indian origin, they changed the rules and prices to even just surrender the passport).Everytime my only option was to drive all the way to Houston and be at the mercy of their rudeness. I do not see any point in External ministry of india helping because they are equally worse. It sad and dealing with beauracracy is just a part. The whole problem is that they are not accountable. I dont even know whom to complain for the fact that I cannot even get somebody on the phone and have to drive all the way to Houston just to get a minor question answered.

vinzak
12-21-2010, 01:07 PM
The only time I have had to deal with the Houston Consulate (or any Indian Consualate in the US) was last year when I needed a new/renewed passport. Sent it by mail and received it back in 1 week. I really can't complain since it's the best experience I have had with any consulate.

I applied for a UK visa, and they stuck someone else's visa in my passport. To call them, there's only a paid line for 99c a minute, even if it's their fault. And I was put on hold for 15 mins.

Applied for a Canadian visa, 3 mnths in advance of my trip. When I asked after 3 weeks, they told me pretty rudely that of I enquire about the status, it'll take even longer to process. (This is a tactic I would love to use with my boss whenever he asks about the status of things I'm working on) :) Finally processed it in 2.5 months. This was a simple single entry for 4 days.

Applied for a schengen visa(Germany), they took 3 weeks to process a simple business visa. Sent back my documents saying that I didn't have coverage for repatriation of corpse should I die in Europe, even though my policy clearly had it and this was verified when I presented the documents in person at the consulate. Schengen countries demand that you apply in person, because they want to make sure you have the face for going to Europe.

I have a Dutch friend whose Indian wife took 3 mnths to get a visitor visa. This is because he complained to the Dutch foreign ministry when her visa wasn't done in 3 weeks. He was outraged that the wife of a Dutch citizen should be treated by his govt. like that. Oh well, they showed him.

So given all this, I would assume that all embassies/consulates are inefficient, simply because they are government workers who are not answerable to anyone and can't get fired. And they work in a monopoly.

Of course, we like to think Indian babus are either stupid, lazy, corrupt or a combination of the above because it's a mindset we have. But looking at how USCIS and the embassies above operate, I think Indians are pretty much on par with everyone else.

seetheavatar
12-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Yes all the above/below said happened to a foreign citizen(you) not to their own citizens when they apply for passport renewal.

But indian consulates show their skills to their own people.No other consulate/government offices in the world treats their own citizen in similar manner.

The only time I have had to deal with the Houston Consulate (or any Indian Consualate in the US) was last year when I needed a new/renewed passport. Sent it by mail and received it back in 1 week. I really can't complain since it's the best experience I have had with any consulate.

I applied for a UK visa, and they stuck someone else's visa in my passport. To call them, there's only a paid line for 99c a minute, even if it's their fault. And I was put on hold for 15 mins.

Applied for a Canadian visa, 3 mnths in advance of my trip. When I asked after 3 weeks, they told me pretty rudely that of I enquire about the status, it'll take even longer to process. (This is a tactic I would love to use with my boss whenever he asks about the status of things I'm working on) :) Finally processed it in 2.5 months. This was a simple single entry for 4 days.

Applied for a schengen visa(Germany), they took 3 weeks to process a simple business visa. Sent back my documents saying that I didn't have coverage for repatriation of corpse should I die in Europe, even though my policy clearly had it and this was verified when I presented the documents in person at the consulate. Schengen countries demand that you apply in person, because they want to make sure you have the face for going to Europe.

I have a Dutch friend whose Indian wife took 3 mnths to get a visitor visa. This is because he complained to the Dutch foreign ministry when her visa wasn't done in 3 weeks. He was outraged that the wife of a Dutch citizen should be treated by his govt. like that. Oh well, they showed him.

So given all this, I would assume that all embassies/consulates are inefficient, simply because they are government workers who are not answerable to anyone and can't get fired. And they work in a monopoly.

Of course, we like to think Indian babus are either stupid, lazy, corrupt or a combination of the above because it's a mindset we have. But looking at how USCIS and the embassies above operate, I think Indians are pretty much on par with everyone else.

andycool
12-21-2010, 01:29 PM

Houston TX 77056

Pooja I understand your pain ..
INDIAN CONSULAR SERVICES ARE BAD
THEY NEVER ANSWER THE PHONE CALLS ....I WAITED FOR 1-2 HRS EVERY TIME WITH NO ANSWER ..
THEY DONT REPLY TO EMAILS ...

ivgclive
12-21-2010, 01:43 PM

You can "bombard" only when there is any space or they care about space.

Try every consulate/embassy's phone numbers, you can't even leave a VOICE MESSAGE.

You send an email to the email addresses, even your 5th generation great grandson won't get a reply.

chanduv23
12-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Recently a friend of mine visited us in Houston and the purpose of his visit was that he surrendered his passports after getting his American Citizenship and waiting for the surrender certificate. He has been waiting for 2 months and still no luck. I am wondering why processing a surrender certificate takes such a long time?
I think that there is no proper process or people are not implementing it properly.

There is no point in fuming over these issues. These have to be resolved and I think that if there are enough people having issues and deal with it, we must do something about it.

As the first step, it would be a great idea to write a list of issues that we all face collectively. The issue must be genuine and real without looking at the emotional angle or with attitude. Do we want to do something to fix these issues?

LostInGCProcess
12-21-2010, 06:25 PM

Houston TX 77056

You are absolutely right. I dealt with the Embassy of India, washington DC to get my daughters PIO card. Back then we were asked to send stamped return envelope. And guess what, they would call you and scold you for not sending the envelope and ask you to mail another MO for $20.00. That's soooo cheap and totally unethical and I felt ashamed that our Government employees are doing this on a foreign soil.
I dont understand from where they hire these goons to work at the consulates. Usually the ladies are very rough when they talk on the phone (well!! it may just be a coincidence).

I dont know why you have all the RED, eventhough you have spoken the truth.
Anyways, I gave you a GREEN !!!
Please post our Ambassador email if you get it.

pooja_34
12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MEERA SHANKAR, Indian Ambassador to US.

sunny1000
12-21-2010, 10:51 PM
DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO GET IN TOUCH WITH MEERA SHANKAR, Indian Ambassador to US.

EMBASSY
--------------
Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America Passport Services FAQ (http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_faqs&task=detail&id=2#22)

Passport Services - Assistance/Complaints
Assistant Consular Officer
Phone: (202) 939-9861

Attaché (Consular)
Phone: (202) 939-9832

Consulate General, NY
---------------------------

Consulate General of India, New York, U.S.A. - indiacgny.org - www.indiacgny.org (http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=165&key=)

Any unresolved problems with the Consulate? Please click HERE

For unresolved matters relating to Passports, Attestations, Renunciation/Surrender Certificate, PIO, Visa etc. please send email at: cg@indiacgny.org giving details of applicant’s full name(including middle name), passport number, date of application, application ref. number, brief background of the case, etc.

For unresolved matters relating to OCI, please send an email at: dcg@indiacgny.org giving details of applicant’s full name(including middle name), passport number, date of application, application ref. number, brief background of the case, etc.

snathan
12-21-2010, 10:58 PM
I do have very different experience. I never had any issues with the indian consulate. couple of months back I have sent the papers for my daughter's PIO card. With in two weeks I got the PIO in mail.

pooja_34
12-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Nodoby answers the phone or checks emails on those email ids. What we need is Meera Shankars email address.

EMBASSY
--------------
Embassy of India - Washington DC (official website) United States of America Passport Services FAQ (http://www.indianembassy.org/index.php?option=com_faqs&task=detail&id=2#22)

Attaché (Consular)

Consulate General, NY

Consulate General of India, New York, U.S.A. - indiacgny.org - www.indiacgny.org (http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=165&key=)

For unresolved matters relating to Passports, Attestations, Renunciation/Surrender Certificate, PIO, Visa etc. please send email at: cg@indiacgny.org giving details of applicant’s full name(including middle name), passport number, date of application, application ref. number, brief background of the case, etc.

For unresolved matters relating to OCI, please send an email at: dcg@indiacgny.org giving details of applicant’s full name(including middle name), passport number, date of application, application ref. number, brief background of the case, etc.

SDdesi
12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Last year, my daughter's PIO card was processed in 1 day! No questions asked. I must say I have had the best experience with CGI houston so far.

I had also renewed by passport at SFO; and that too was processed in 2 weeks.

Dont forget that sometimes we ask the nerdiest questions to the consulate folks over & over again, even after a good explanation. I cant blame them for their attitude if they are at the receiving end.....

Houston TX 77056

desi3933
12-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I do have very different experience. I never had any issues with the indian consulate. couple of months back I have sent the papers for my daughter's PIO card. With in two weeks I got the PIO in mail.

My experience has been very good, too.

I had family emergency and needed visa to travel to India. Entry Visa (they don't issue Tourist Visa to people of Indian origin) was issued in 1 hour. The staff was very helpful.

ak_manu
12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Hello All,

I have applied for PIO card for my son (who is US citizen) a month ago. We need to travel to India in end of Jan 2011 (have 1 more month). I am not sure when i would get my PIO card. Not sure if I would need to apply for ENTRY VISA to India for my son. I concern is I would have to also send out his original passport along with VISA application. I am worried if it might get lost. Q's -

1 Does any one have idea how long it took to get the entry visa?
2. Has anyone applied for entry visa and has any nightmares like loosing passport etc?

Thanks
AK_MANU

atul555
12-22-2010, 02:46 PM
But not because they are 'Indian' but because they are run by sarkari babus. If anyone wants proof Govt. can't run things even remotely as efficiently as private corporations, this is that case study.
Have to give American consulates in India the credit that they have outsourced some job to external private companies.
At Indian consulate the story is quite different. There are many who share Pooja's feeling on this subject as being used to dealing with efficient private businesses in US, as soon as you enter the consulate, the sarkari inefficiency hits you like a ton of bricks. Every small screwup looks like a giant under our microscope and each further screwup just frustrates us exponentially.
As per my last visit to SF consulate, bracing for the worst, I got a surprise to find that it was a breeze, mostly because the lady at the counter was more compassionate and accommodating then the prior ones. But the failure is glaringly at the top level where they fail to define and refine the process, proof-read the information on website (list of document is vague and contains repetitions).
To summarize I think good workers can deliver some time, but the team will ultimately be a failure without good management at the top, and we all know the top management is sarkari babus who could care less as they were appointed from the sifarish of the Govt in New Delhi and not on their own merit.

sweet23guyin
12-22-2010, 03:12 PM
I spent 3+ months after application with out a passport, because my earlier Indian passport was issued in Sweden and SF guys want clearance from Sweden.
The ugly part is SF guys don't know how to communicate to their brothers/sisters in Sweden! Every time I en-quire they show fingers at Sweden embassy.
I use to wake up 3 in the morning to find out what the issue is with Sweden folks; almost all the time the ans is 'they did not receive any such clearance request from SF and don't have any procedure for the so called Clearance...'
With two different time zones and no direct phone support for SF consulate, it was hell to deal with out talking to any one in SF. Their phone line is a joke.
After 100's of emails(count less phone calls middle of night) with both consulates with some ugly and strong wordings(some times literally begging!), finally they issued my passport. I felt so happy seeing that than when I got my GC....and I lost valuable time window to travel.

God bless all those who wants Indian passport renewal at SF

pooja_34
12-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Well said - I couldnt have said it any better !!! I thought every desi in the US knew this already but apparently NOT!!!

But not because they are 'Indian' but because they are run by sarkari babus. If anyone wants proof Govt. can't run things even remotely as efficiently as private corporations, this is that case study.
Have to give American consulates in India the credit that they have outsourced some job to external private companies.
At Indian consulate the story is quite different. There are many who share Pooja's feeling on this subject as being used to dealing with efficient private businesses in US, as soon as you enter the consulate, the sarkari inefficiency hits you like a ton of bricks. Every small screwup looks like a giant under our microscope and each further screwup just frustrates us exponentially.
As per my last visit to SF consulate, bracing for the worst, I got a surprise to find that it was a breeze, mostly because the lady at the counter was more compassionate and accommodating then the prior ones. But the failure is glaringly at the top level where they fail to define and refine the process, proof-read the information on website (list of document is vague and contains repetitions).
To summarize I think good workers can deliver some time, but the team will ultimately be a failure without good management at the top, and we all know the top management is sarkari babus who could care less as they were appointed from the sifarish of the Govt in New Delhi and not on their own merit.

pooja_34
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Now you are trying to hijack my other thread - Why dont you start your own threads MF?? And please update your priority date :)

They showed finger ? :D

snathan
12-22-2010, 03:29 PM
Now you are trying to hijack my other thread - Why dont you start your own threads MF?? And please update your priority date :)

Is it yours....so funny. Free loader like you are the disgrace for this forum.

bidhanc
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Hi,

I sent my application on 29th Sept 2010 and have not heard anything yet.
Most of the times I can't get hold of anyone and when I do they keep saying that they are not ready yet! That's very helpful!
God forbid if I have to leave the country due to any emergency, what the heck will I do then?

Sorry didn't want to bore you with this, but what or who did you contact at the embassy?
I can't get hold of anyone at all?

It would be very helpful.
Thanks

NY consulate is even worst than others. After a month of trying to reach them regarding my passport application, they told me they never received my application nor my passport. I had to sent them shipping tracking info and eventually they found my application sitting in a drawer. Never bother to opened it till than. I had to go through some higher level rank person to get my case resolved. The customer rep. phone is always busy, never able to get a hold.. I don't have to visit them for next 10 years,,,, thank GOD..

pooja_34
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Still have not updated priority date --- You dont take directions well --- I guess its difficult when you are a moron :)

Post your address - lots of people will come to your home and will do it for free...

pooja_34
12-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Again, incorrect english - Why dont you go learn english and then post here - Till then use your local language forums only !

I am not in the bed with you to take your direction

bidhanc
12-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry to say, but sending mails of unresolved issues to NY Consulate is a waste of time.
I have sent them mails every week for 2 month (yes, I did that religiously) thinking that I would clog up their system, but I guess they had the last laugh! :-)

But hey everybody, pls do go ahead and follow the process!

Thanks

EMBASSY
--------------

Attaché (Consular)

Consulate General, NY

sunny1000
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Sorry to say, but sending mails of unresolved issues to NY Consulate is a waste of time.
I have sent them mails every week for 2 month (yes, I did that religiously) thinking that I would clog up their system, but I guess they had the last laugh! :-)

But hey everybody, pls do go ahead and follow the process!

Thanks

I merely posted what was on their website. Don't shoot the messenger....

bidhanc
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry partner, I was just sharing info.
Did not mean to imply you were wrong in any way. :-)

I merely posted what was on their website. Don't shoot the messenger....

sunny1000
12-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry partner, I was just sharing info.
Did not mean to imply you were wrong in any way. :-)

got it, no worries.

new2gc
12-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Try getting info from any other consulate...you will feel the same.... I used to feel the same until I dealt with UK / French /Italian consulates for tourist visa....it was as horrible...

dummgelauft
12-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Try getting info from any other consulate...you will feel the same.... I used to feel the same until I dealt with UK / French /Italian consulates for tourist visa....it was as horrible...

I dealt with the UK consulate and the CGI India at Chicago. Now, agreed this was many years ago, when I used to have a desi passport.

There was an awesome Asst. Consular Officer (i forget the exact designation), but her name was Deepa Jain. I submitted my desi passpost for renewal at CGI Chicago, using the procedure described on their then brand new website. Waited 4 weeks, nothing. This was in 1999, so I decided to call the conculate, totally expecting nobody to pickup the phone, but to my surprise, somebody picked up!!. I gave them the details of my application and old passport and the lady who answered the phone said "we will call you back".
Now, knowing what that means, I began to prepare myslef for weeks and possibly months of frustration..BUT...lo and behold, two days after my call to them, Ms. Deepa Jain called back ON MY cellphone to tell me "your passport was renewed and I wil lmake sure it gets sent out today itself!!". To tel you the truth, I was totally blown away, and if Ms Jain is still around in any of the consulates, hats off to you...but I digress..
Now comes the part with the UK consulate, again, in Chicago.
I wanted to visit UK and applied for a visitors visa providing them will all the things that they need. Their requirements are very stringent and they want a ton of information too.

The delightful englishwoman at the counter in UK consulate started to ask me all sorts of questions while leafing thru my documents. When she saw a copyof my Canadian PR card in there, she stopped and asked me to show her the original card, which I did. Once she saw it, that was it. Her next statement was "You may pick up your passport in the afternoon".

So, two things, it is the desi sarkari babus who mess it up for us, in the consulates and it is the poor image "enjoyed" by our desi passports (which used to be hand written" up until a few years ago) that create problems for us in the non-Indian consulates (European ones to be precise)J.apanese, Korean and othe Asian consulates tend to be much better in this regard.

sunny1000
12-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I guess the term "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) holds good for this thread...some have had good experiences and some have had really bad ones with Indian and foreign consulates.

But, it is dis-heartening to know the plight of some of the members who had to run from pillar-to-post to get their Indian passport renewed (as the Indian Embassy/Consulates are supposed to help their citizens - not make the citizens' lives miserable).

ravikumargc
01-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I have sent my passport for renewal in May' 2011 and unfortunately it needed police clearance from India. I don't understand, how it did not get police clearance (when police came to my home) 10 years ago. And if it did not get clearance how they issued a passport for 10 years. Finally the police clearance was complete again in India (it took 5+ months, Nov'2011) but I did not get my new passport so far. Looks like I have to travel all the way to Houston to get the status update because on phone you get no updates. All you can reach is the reception and that too you have to wait hours. If you are lucky your call may be picked up in about 30 minutes. Last time I tracked the time. I tried pretty much everyday for 2 weeks and waited on the line for about 5 to 6 hours(all together in 2 weeks) before I got to reception. So all together 8 months so far without passport in America. Not sure if I should cry or laugh on the sorry state of Indian Consulate, Houston. How can they let somebody without a passport for such a long time in a foreign country? One thing for sure, I learned to trust more in God with this episode :)

thomachan72
01-17-2012, 01:45 PM
I have sent my passport for renewal in May' 2011 and unfortunately it needed police clearance from India. I don't understand, how it did not get police clearance (when police came to my home) 10 years ago. And if it did not get clearance how they issued a passport for 10 years. Finally the police clearance was complete again in India (it took 5+ months, Nov'2011) but I did not get my new passport so far. Looks like I have to travel all the way to Houston to get the status update because on phone you get no updates. All you can reach is the reception and that too you have to wait hours. If you are lucky your call may be picked up in about 30 minutes. Last time I tracked the time. I tried pretty much everyday for 2 weeks and waited on the line for about 5 to 6 hours(all together in 2 weeks) before I got to reception. So all together 8 months so far without passport in America. Not sure if I should cry or laugh on the sorry state of Indian Consulate, Houston. How can they let somebody without a passport for such a long time in a foreign country? One thing for sure, I learned to trust more in God with this episode :)
Send an email to the consulate and copy all the officials of the indian consulate in the email. Yes it is India and things are screwed up with either corruption or beurocracy but this much delay is ridiculous. Sorry to hear your situation. Is there anybody else who experienced this "police clearance". I renewed few years back at NY and there was no police clearance. Anyway hope you get it soon.

sudarshana_sg
01-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I must say I had a very good experience at the Chicago Consulate. The day I turned up to have my passport renewed, it was two days past the initial six month period after my passport had expired. The man at the counter pointed it out to me, but i pointed out that the last two days had been over the weekend, so he decided to let that slide and not give me any grief about it. After going over all my documents in a few minutes, he gave me a receipt and asked me to come back in exactly two weeks- anytime after 4pm. My passport was ready in less than that time- they called me and informed me and I went and picked it up at the consulate- absolutely hassle free!

Amman
01-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear that...it is ridiculous what they do now...I renewed my passport few years back at DC consulate and it took only 2 days...1st day I handover the documents and 2nd day I picked up the new password. don't know what to say but keep trying..good luck !

ecrangan
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I renewed my wife passport last September. First time when I went to consulate in person, the lady at the counter pointed out some mistakes in my application. Then again I went to apply for the second time and I corrected all the mistakes.
No issues at all. They take 2 weeks for the whole process.

Also I applied for PIO card for my son through post, I got it perfectly after 2 weeks. No issues.

But I ran a very bad experience when I applied for police clearance certificate in 2009. Thats a very very bad experience. They took more than 3 months. I called the officer every single day and he never picked the phone. Finally one day they gave. But I wont blame them for that , because they haven't received the update from India regarding my passport from that passport office.

Thanks
Rangan

smuggymba
01-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Went personally on a Monday and got the passport renewed on back on thursday in Houston. All good for me.

sorry to hear your situation.

reddymjm
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Chicago one seems to be alright but differs case by case. I dealt with it 3 times, all of them were renewed/issued with in a week by mail.

nousername
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Forget about how efficient these guys are at various consulate.. These guys are heart less pigs.

This is back in 2002 when my Aunt passed away in India and my cousin hard to renew his visa on a Saturday so that he could reach India to perform the last rituals.. We called countless time on their 24hr. emergency number to speak with someone but no one answered the call. This was mid-morning.

Sometime in the afternoon with our local contacts we were able to get hold of SFO's Consul General (Viswanathan ) home #.. Spoke to his wife, explained her the situation and she says, "oh he is getting ready for a party so won't be able to help" and hung up..

Finally after using some pulls from Minister of External Affairs we were called to the Indian Consulate (around 8pm) to give the visa renewal. To top this all, the guy who meet us at the consulate was drunk and had the balls to ask my cousin fulling knowing the situation, "how did you get your green card".

Man, I was there and felt so bad and sad. These guys are not just unprofessional but inhuman also.

sunny1000
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
I renewed mine in Dec 2011 at NY. Mailed all the docs mid-dec and the passport was issued within 10 days. Please note that my previous passport was issued at the NY consulate as well. It says on their website that they will issue a 1-year short validity passport if the passport was not issued by them and needs police clearance from the original passport office that issued it in India.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

giri26
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Coming from India we are actually used to such pathetic service thats the reason we feel they do an okay job. In India we are tuned to ignore everything if we get our job done. The Indian consulates here work the same. They treat you horribly and if at all you have some doubts they talk to you like you are some servants.

Yeah I am happy that my work gets done but everytime I have to go to the Indian consulate I dread with the idea of seeing those guys again. I am not sure when we will learn. If I am in some trouble and I need to get help from Indian consulate, I am 100% sure I will not receive any help as I am not a celebrity and no one will be picking any calls of mine. The Indian embassy's are set up also to help Indians abroad, not just provide services. I dont think that we deserve this sort of treatment. Unfortunately we need to live with such unprofessional people throughout our lifetime, Indian administrators will never change nor do they care about anyone.

nvmurali
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
Its funny to see how much cribbing, screaming and fighting that goes on when it comes to the Indian consulate. However, if the same thing happened with the US consulate, you keep quiet and wait patiently for your visa / GC etc.

Stop screaming about it. have you ever tried to get a status update from the US passport office? have you ever tried to get any info on your EAD when you were a student...

If not, I can tell you, the experience you're having is no different.

Things are screwed up everywhere...just like all Govt offices, we have to grin and bear it.

giri26
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Yup typical response. Because US does it let us bear with rude Indian customer service. way to go, no need to improve, because US does it. Great reasoning.

gbof
01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
NY consulate is not the greatest but compared to Houston, it is fantastic. Recently I sent my papers for PIO to NY and they took their time but i did get it in 4 weeks time (their website says 2 weeks). I had to make multiple phone calls and if i used the automated system, it would take me to a phone that no one ever answered. If i went through the operator I was invariably forwarded to a wrong department or was told there is no one in the PIO department on that day!! But eventually, I did manage to reach the right person, who told me when to expect the passport and it did arrive in due course. I did send them multiple emails as mentioned at their web page that promised faster responses but till now I have not received any reply till date!

My friend had to send her papers to the consulate in Houston and it is absolutely horrible. Firstly, no one ever answers the phone at any of the listed numbers. An automated response asks you to wait in line and then after an extended duration, you are bumped back to the start of the line. No one replies to emails. Then they send back your passport on flimsy grounds without giving proper reasons. When you send it back, they find a new reason to send it back as my friend had to endure. Eventually, she had to find an 'agent' who charged her $1100 to get her PIO card which he did within a day. When asked to give the breakup of the costs, he said he has to bribe people in the consulate to get the job done. So this in essence is the real reason why no one answers the phone in Houston or people are given the run about ..corruption. They want you to use the services of these agents who in turn bribe them and get the work done.
NY consulate is slow and tardy but Houston is corrupt, probably all the way to the top. Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to address these issues!! somewhere i saw a petition doing the rounds on the web complaining about the Houston consulate but I doubt if it will change anything.

I could not imagine these things happening on US soil. But, experienced a funny situation first hand. We applied for renewal of PP for our minor daughter (after 10 yr expiration) at CGI houston/tx. A lady called us and asked us to file a police report for 'stolen/lost PP' and send a copy and new application. That was so weird, they had PP in hand but wanted us to file police report.

After trying hard to get the same lady on phone....we just blasted her right and left. newPP came in 3-4 days after that. My daughter was a baby 1-2 yr old when her first PP was issued. A friend told us 'they' sell PPs to travel agents back in india for a heavy price. Agents 'help' fradulent entry to US after manipulations......this all sound so bad bad...

saketkapur
01-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Recently got my passport renewed at sfo. A dyslexic called Vaisham screwed up my dad's name. When I contacted them he told me to send the passport back along with the application form. Upon receiving the package idiot calls me and tells me that I will have to reapply as he cannot do anything and sent the incorrect passport back. By the way I had paid return postage too. So here I am jacked almost 150 bucks because the moron could not read from a typed form. More than the money what ticks me off is the complete apathy and non accountability on part of these officials. And good luck ever trying to reach them by phone or email. They are pathetic.

mechanical13
01-19-2012, 07:46 AM
The Houston consulate is the best of all of them.

I sent my passport in for renewal, and it only took 3 months and 10,000 phone calls to get an update from them.

Very professional, and very courteous. They typically never answer their phone, but when they do, they are very kind.

Moral of the story: Keep a copy of your passport for your records before you send it. Get an unlimited calling plan for your phone, because you'll be trying to call them a lot.

psagarn
01-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Its funny to see how much cribbing, screaming and fighting that goes on when it comes to the Indian consulate. However, if the same thing happened with the US consulate, you keep quiet and wait patiently for your visa / GC etc.

Stop screaming about it. have you ever tried to get any info on your EAD when you were a student...

If not, I can tell you, the experience you're having is no different.

Things are screwed up everywhere...just like all Govt offices, we have to grin and bear it.
An Indian citizen going to US Immigration services is different than an Indian citizen going to
Indian Consulate in a foreign country. I am an Indian citizen so Indian consulate is answerable to me, US not so much. You can surely compare treatment that a US citizen gets at US consulates with the treatment that we Indians get at Indian consulates

msandhu
01-19-2012, 10:43 AM
I recently had a pretty good experience at NY consulate. The lady who dealt with us was very nice and helpful. The consulate was neat and clean with plenty of space to sit and wait. The turnaround time was pretty fast. Even inquiries on the phone about the status were promptly replied in a helpful manner.
I had pretty bad experiences in SF consulate and because of this, this new experience was totally unexpected and was a pleasant surprise.

sanojkumar
01-19-2012, 12:36 PM
What do you think as to how to fix these? In India they have started slapping officers.

thomachan72
01-19-2012, 12:55 PM
The Houston consulate is the best of all of them.

I sent my passport in for renewal, and it only took 3 months and 10,000 phone calls to get an update from them.

Very professional, and very courteous. They typically never answer their phone, but when they do, they are very kind.

Moral of the story: Keep a copy of your passport for your records before you send it. Get an unlimited calling plan for your phone, because you'll be trying to call them a lot.

Good one:D:D

thomachan72
01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
What do you think as to how to fix these? In India they have started slapping officers.
Only the "more crooked and criminal" politician is allowed to slap an officer in India. Most often it is the honest officer who gets slapped and that too usually for petty reasons like not smiling or saluting :D:D:D
Our only hope is Anna Hazare!!:D:D

digital2k
01-19-2012, 01:08 PM
Contribute Now than paying all those attorneys and others
A call for Everyone ... :)
[quote] Only hope is HR 3012/quote] ;)