PDA

View Full Version : Indian passport renewal. File Number question

Gator
12-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi

I have an Indian passport issued in Hyderabad in 2001 that expires in May2011. I went online to fill the renewal/fresh passport application for the Consulate in New York.

One of the questions asks to fill in the "File No" of the passport. My passport entries are hand written. It's badly written and I am trying to decipher what was written. Its length is 10. I was able to figure out the last 8 digits. I need help deciphered the first 2 characters/letters/digits.

It looks like its either starts with "A1" or "A\" or "A/" ie; A(Slash)

Can someone please confirm that "File No" is only alphanumeric so that I can go with "A1".
(or)
Can anyone with passport issued in 2001 from Hyderabad office please confirm that they also have their "File No" starting with "A1" or one of the other alternatives.

Appreciate it.
Thanks

sun99
01-01-2011, 02:10 PM
My passport is issued in Hyderabad in June 2001. It is also handwritten and the file number starts with A/ (i.e. A slash).

I am also planning to renew my passport in US. Did you apply for your renewal? If yes, how long did it take to get the renewed passport?

Gator
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Yes. I flew to New York and submitted the application in-person at the counter on Dec 17th 2010. The passport was ready and mailed to me by USPS express mail on Dec 24th(~5 working days) and I received it on Dec 27th.

My initial intention of flying to New York was to see if I can make use of the Tatkal service and get the passport the same day(wasn't comfortable with mailing my passport), but it wasn't going to be ready.

Also, I wrote "A1...." for the file number. So it's either correct or it doesn't matter(because I got my renewed passport back).

Hope this helps!

pd052009
01-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Deleting the post.

vedicman
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
There should be a perforated number on the passport from which you can identify the passport number

vactorboy29
01-11-2011, 11:14 AM
Just type in 1234 ,they have given guide line on chicago consulate web site.