View Full Version : Need to travel - Have GC - passport expiring in March 2011

12-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi everybody,
One of my friends has a GC for the last 41/2 years now and needs to travel to India in 2 weeks for his wedding. He comes back end of Jan 2011. His passport is expiring in March 2011. Does anybody know whether having a minimum of a 6 month passport validity is a requirement prior to traveling. ? Will the airport folks allow u to board the flights here and in India with the passpost expiring soon.? Can the indian embassy in DC do a emergency passport renewal.?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

12-07-2010, 02:05 PM
.... Can the indian embassy in DC do a emergency passport renewal.?

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

They will extend the current passport by 1 year or issue a new one valid for one year.

Not a legal advice.

12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
As I understand it - if your friend is an Indian national, travelling to India, his passport needs only to be valid when he arrives in India. There is no rule that says your passport has to be valid beyond six months to get into your own country.

Also, as I understand it, as your friend has a Green Card and is considered a Permanent Resident of the United States, his Indian passport only has to be valid the day he returns to the USA from India after his wedding.

I actually once came back to the US from Ireland, a few years back with only four weeks left on my passport - but as my greencrd still had eight years left on it - there was no problem at the port of entry.

I know of many people who have Green Cards who have let their passports expire and then gone and applied for new ones after the fact. There is no law against a Permanent Resident having an expired passport - merely an inconvenience if you find you need to travel out of the country in a hurry.

The six month rule that most countries have in place is for visitors to the country, not for those whom it considers residents.

For the full US rules - there is some stuff on the Department of State website.

hope that helps.

12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
As long as the passport is valid at the time of travel - he should be fine. If he is an Indian Ciitizen, he can get his passport renewed in India (while he is there) or if the period is too short, he can return to the US and send it for renewal here.

The travel agent will also be able to let you know about the passport validity during travel.