PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents

jnraajan
03-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Guys,

We have been reading about so many issues faced by our community here. The 2 main issues are
1. Driver's licenses - Most states have their own laws to prevent us from getting a driver's license as we should. They claim that this is to prevent illegal immigration. Anyone, with a right frame of mind knows that that is bs. Illegal Immigrants dont care about DL. They are here to work, not to drive. They dont care about Driver's Licenses.

2. Second issue is the threads about the stimulus package. If my wife does not have a valid SSN, does that make her illegal? She does not have a SSN, because the law doesnt give dependents one. That does not mean, we dont pay Income Tax, SS Tax and Medicare tax. In fact, I may never see a cent of those SS Tax and Medicare. So, why should I be deprived of this package for being in this country legally and law abiding.

There might be more issues that I am unaware of. But, the point is, in all this legal jumbo mumbos, we, the legal and law abiding people are the one that is caught in the cross fire.

It is nice that IV is doing its part with rallys, flower campaigns(with success, I might add) and now the administrative fixes. But, my question is, is this enough?

Hence, I decided to put my thoughts in this forum.
We should come up with a campaign- like a 20 point formula. We will list all the needs and issues that we face. Then, I believe we should take it to the next step.

Following the footsteps of Mahatma Gandhi, can we organize a day of FASTING outlining our hardships, or better yet, It could be a week of fasting. Chain Fasting that is. 10 people everyday for 7 days on a rotation basis. That is definetely new to this country :)
Even if it falls into deaf ears, I am sure that will attract some coverage from the media. Remember, everything in this country is driven by lobbysts and media coverage.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
The biggest issue effecting our community is - lethargy and inactivity. While our community is hyperactive in posting on the forums, very few actually participate in real life activities such as 'Meeting the lawmakers' or writing letters for Admin fixes. If every member here had written 2 letters, we would've got 50,000 letters. We never got that many!

Our problem is not that IV activities are insufficient. As I see it they are more than enough to fix every issue faced by us, including the ones mentioned by you. 3 year EAD will fix DL issue, ability to file I-485 without visa numbers will fix SSN/Stimulus issue, and so on. What's insufficient is member participation.

Fasting campaign like the one you suggested must be held in a central place like DC or the state capitals. Members should be ready to travel on a working day and fast for a day. If our members are lethargic to do a simple job like writing a letter, do you think they'll take a day off from work and turn up in large numbers for these events? It will be the same minority of active members who'll do it, while the majority will watch in silence and a few busybodies [with nothing better in life to do ] will even criticize us for doing it.

Given this reality of life, we need to concentrate our efforts and focus on the action items proposed by IV leadership, instead of launching scores of new initiatives that'll dilute the impact of the IV movement.

Guys,

We have been reading about so many issues faced by our community here. The 2 main issues are
1. Driver's licenses - Most states have their own laws to prevent us from getting a driver's license as we should. They claim that this is to prevent illegal immigration. Anyone, with a right frame of mind knows that that is bs. Illegal Immigrants dont care about DL. They are here to work, not to drive. They dont care about Driver's Licenses.

2. Second issue is the threads about the stimulus package. If my wife does not have a valid SSN, does that make her illegal? She does not have a SSN, because the law doesnt give dependents one. That does not mean, we dont pay Income Tax, SS Tax and Medicare tax. In fact, I may never see a cent of those SS Tax and Medicare. So, why should I be deprived of this package for being in this country legally and law abiding.

There might be more issues that I am unaware of. But, the point is, in all this legal jumbo mumbos, we, the legal and law abiding people are the one that is caught in the cross fire.

It is nice that IV is doing its part with rallys, flower campaigns(with success, I might add) and now the administrative fixes. But, my question is, is this enough?

We should come up with a campaign- like a 20 point formula. We will list all the needs and issues that we face. Then, I believe we should take it to the next step.

Following the footsteps of Mahatma Gandhi, can we organize a day of FASTING outlining our hardships, or better yet, It could be a week of fasting. Chain Fasting that is. 10 people everyday for 7 days on a rotation basis. That is definetely new to this country :)
Even if it falls into deaf ears, I am sure that will attract some coverage from the media. Remember, everything in this country is driven by lobbysts and media coverage.

Thanks

Dipika
03-18-2008, 12:30 PM
not sure how would you think, for doing another rally in DC with some more imprvements in banners, flyers?

=============

EB2 Dec 2004
I-140 approved, got AP/EAD
waiting for 485 approval.

meridiani.planum
03-18-2008, 12:50 PM
No point fasting or rallying for a drivers-license or for a couple of hundred bucks stimulus package.

If its for admin-fixes I am in:
- recapture
- increased quotas.
etc.

worst case if we are going to be stuck in retrogression hell, then I atleast want to fight for 3 year EAD/AP.

jthomas
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Start creating action items one after the other. Some may join for one action item some for another. Those members who did not find comfortable to write to president will at least do flyer campaign if this action item is put.
Just because there are many inactive members don't make ACTIVE MEMBERS INACTIVE.
keep on giving action items and we will see results inactive members will join.

jnraajan
03-18-2008, 12:52 PM
No point fasting or rallying for a drivers-license or for a couple of hundred bucks stimulus package.

If its for admin-fixes I am in:
- recapture
- increased quotas.
etc.

worst case if we are going to be stuck in retrogression hell, then I atleast want to fight for 3 year EAD/AP.

Well, my suggestion was not just for DL or Stimulus package. But put together a list of fixes we would like. As good as the letter campaign is, I believe strongly, it is time that we let the media do some coverage on our issues. This, I thought would give some coverage for the hardships we are facing.

But, like walking_dude mentioned, if we dont get enough interest from people, it is not going to work. But, like jthomas mentioned, we need to keep the momentum going.

Action Items like this, at the least might give a chance for inactive members and others who have not joined IV yet, an opportunity to participate.

jnraajan
03-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Is that all the response we are seeing for this suggestion. I was hoping for more responses, positive or negative..

akhilmahajan
03-18-2008, 01:40 PM
We can keep on creating as many action items as we can.
But we need to be careful, as we need to do follow ups on these action items also.

The easiest action item will be to keep on requesting members to periodically meet the lawmakers. Doing this will keep our issue highlightened. If a lot of members do this, it really helps and above all this has to be an ongoing thing.

Just my 2 cents.

amitjoey
03-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Start creating action items one after the other. Some may join for one action item some for another. Those members who did not find comfortable to write to president will at least do flyer campaign if this action item is put.
Just because there are many inactive members don't make ACTIVE MEMBERS INACTIVE.
keep on giving action items and we will see results inactive members will join.

There are a ton of activities and action items for people interested in.
Pick one and get busy. If you do not like to write letter/s, pick something else.

1) Write an administrative fixes letter to WH (This is a carefully thought out action item, there is a strategy involved with this.)
2) Write letters to the media, Press, blogs, writers, reporters. Follow up with them, encourage and ask them to write about IV and the community.
If you do not like to write,
3) Call media reporters and meet them
4) Call Lawmakers and talk to them, ask to meet them. Schedule a time and meet them.
5) Organise other members to form a group to meet your local congressman/woman, house rep or Senator.
Get help from your state chapter, if you are away from a state chapter, do it yourself.
6) Bring awareness, encourage your friends and relatives to join IV and participate.
7) Participate in a funds drive, ask for donations for IV.
8) Think of creative ways to generate funds for IV.
9) Blogs or other websites that can generate attention and awareness of the plight of Legal immigrant community.

RNGC
03-18-2008, 02:09 PM
Guys,

Thanks

I like the idea of fasting from 9 to 5...Great, lets introduce our own ahimsa way of protest to USA

RNGC
03-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I think we should organize a Rally in DC and march to the capitol building and fast there till 6 PM. That will give a good media attention, it will be even better if few people faint :) and get medical attention!

jthomas
03-18-2008, 02:19 PM
There are a ton of activities and action items for people interested in.
Pick one and get busy. If you do not like to write letter/s, pick something else.

1) Write an administrative fixes letter to WH (This is a carefully thought out action item, there is a strategy involved with this.)
2) Write letters to the media, Press, blogs, writers, reporters. Follow up with them, encourage and ask them to write about IV and the community.
If you do not like to write,
3) Call media reporters and meet them
4) Call Lawmakers and talk to them, ask to meet them. Schedule a time and meet them.
5) Organise other members to form a group to meet your local congressman/woman, house rep or Senator.
Get help from your state chapter, if you are away from a state chapter, do it yourself.
6) Bring awareness, encourage your friends and relatives to join IV and participate.
7) Participate in a funds drive, ask for donations for IV.
8) Think of creative ways to generate funds for IV.
9) Blogs or other websites that can generate attention and awareness of the plight of Legal immigrant community.

Liked your points. We are done with writing letters to WH. The deadline of March 1st is over. Whats the next action item for all state chapters.