PDA

View Full Version : MI DL new rules (bad for guys with extended I-94)

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Got this from MI chapter member new_horizon. He actively participated in MI chapter activity and contacted SOS office and MI lawmakers. Persuant to his followup, we have received the following info from SOS office.

MI DMV has issued new DL rule. They have messed it up for MI temporary residents with expired visas but valid (extended) I-94s which are unaccepable [ it specifically mentions stamped I-94 with unexpired visa]. Ms. Lynn Land has once again taken her time and came up with the best way to harass temporary residents.

As for us EAD holders, it will be 1 year DLs from now on. Unless IVs admin fixes campaign succeeds and we get 3 year EADs.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/Applying_for_lic_or_ID_SOS_428_222146_7.pdf

mdmd10
03-18-2008, 12:37 PM
[QUOTE=walking_dude;231321]MI DMV has issued new DL rule. They have messed it up for MI temporary residents with expired visas but valid (extended) I-94s which are unaccepable [ it specifically mentions stamped I-94 with unexpired visa]. Ms. Lynn Land has once again taken her time and came up with the best way to harass temporary residents.[QUOTE]

I guess this means that for people who do not want to use their EAD's for whatever reason (like I140 not yet being approved), but use their authorized extension of stay I-94 from the green stub in an H1B I-797 approval to stay back, cannot extend their driver's liscences, unless they go out of the country get their visa stamped and re-enter with a 'Stamped' I94 (white stub).

bskrishna
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I am wondering what sections of this law effect the renewal process Vs getting a fresh one...

kalyan
03-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Yoy Mi's, IL issues 5 years DL's and OH issues the same.

Get your DL's in either these states and drive on them. But you have to show the Electricity or Cable Bill to get the DL.

I think we can get it.

Forget about MI.

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes. A well calculated move by SOS to make life difficult for foreign workers.

A guy with LC approved, but I-140 pending will get DL for only 1 year [based on H1 visa validity]. He'll have to go out of the country and get the visa stamped every year to get new DL (until I-140 approved).

I guess this means that for people who do not want to use their EAD's for whatever reason (like I140 not yet being approved), but use their authorized extension of stay I-94 from the green stub in an H1B I-797 approval to stay back, cannot extend their driver's liscences, unless they go out of the country get their visa stamped and re-enter with a 'Stamped' I94 (white stub).

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
This rule is effective both for new DLs as well as for renewals.

I am wondering what sections of this law effect the renewal process Vs getting a fresh one...

GCwaitforever
03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Thank God you are in Michigan. Atleast you can drive across the border and come back. Imagine the trouble for families if this is instituted in the middle of the country.

Politicians are in a mood to show themselves to public that they are very strict against illegal immigration. They do not care about legal immigrants much because we are not voters yet.

Best bet is to go for a legal attack. Though I am not in Michigan, I might be able to contribute after filing taxes this year.