PDA

View Full Version : Writing to Bernake and news papers

h1techSlave
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
I have listened to a couple of speaches by Bernake in NPR. Basically that guy is completely in the blank on how to handle the economy. He simply says, we are in this mess, because the lenders were very lenient. Fed measures such as interest rate cut and pumping money into the banking system is causing the dollar to fall thus further weakening the economy.

I say, we all write to Bernake that some 10, 000 immigrants will buy homes if we all get a GC. 10, 000 may or may not buy a home, but let us just polish the numbers a little bit. 10,000 * 300,000 (average home price) = 1 million billion dollars . Actually the total figure is 3 billion $$; enough to give a massive jolt to the sagging economy. I think we should also write to Wall Street journal and all major news paper organizations about this.

In America, people gets recognized when they offers a solution for a problem faced by the country. Whiners are (who write to Bush or Senators) do not get noticed nor are respected.

immigration1234
03-17-2008, 03:27 PM
That would be a great idea and thats true!

gg_ny
03-17-2008, 03:48 PM
I have listened to a couple of speaches by Bernake in NPR. Basically that guy is completely in the blank on how to handle the economy. He simply says, we are in this mess, because the lenders were very lenient. Fed measures such as interest rate cut and pumping money into the banking system is causing the dollar to fall thus further weakening the economy.

Let alone threatening him on buying homes and cure the economic woes in a jiffy, with this kind of intelligent appraisal of the much-respected Fed chief, someone from IV should also volunteer to replace him as Fed Chief if he feels the heat. Still if he does not oblige, then we should stop filling gas (thereby worsening the crisis).

I say, we all write to Bernake that some 10, 000 immigrants will buy homes if we all get a GC. 10, 000 may or may not buy a home, but let us just polish the numbers a little bit. 10,000 * 300,000 (average home price) = 1 million billion dollars . Actually the total figure is 3 billion $$; enough to give a massive jolt to the sagging economy. I think we should also write to Wall Street journal and all major news paper organizations about this.

In America, people gets recognized when they offers a solution for a problem faced by the country. Whiners are (who write to Bush or Senators) do not get noticed nor are respected.

sapota
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Bailouts from Arabian princes & Chinese govt. didnt do much squat to push the economy. A few immigrants buying houses (which again is gonna be tough to get loans approved in the 1st place) is gonna do much less good.

The US economy needs a deep cleanse. Which means all the bad news has to come out once & for all. No more Congress sanctioned hush ups for irregularities at Fannie Mae etc etc.

The US as a whole needs to rebuild the faith of the rest of the world, both politically & economically. It has now been clearly established that US is not a political & economical superpower that it once was.

lskreddy
03-17-2008, 03:58 PM
I have listened to a couple of speaches by Bernake in NPR. Basically that guy is completely in the blank on how to handle the economy. He simply says, we are in this mess, because the lenders were very lenient.

Had you left your first paragraph off, may be people would have paid more attention. To say that the fed boss is clueless shows that you have simplified the problem way too much.

Have you seen the BearStearns tumble and do you understand the cause and effect it may have had if Fed/JPMC had not come to its rescue? There is a very valid speculation that it may still have a ripple effect on all mortgage brokerage firms. For now, the Fed with its tourniquet with help from JPMC seem to have tried to stop the bleeding.

And regarding your solution, the market is in a deep trouble with the 30 year loan rates around 7%. There is a very high chance that it may go up because of the risks involved in buying mortgage bonds. This is amidst news that the housing market is yet to bottom out and it may continue to fall at least for another year.

Good try, even if I had a GC, I would be a little careful to jump into this market. Ofcourse, if I had a 30% down for a 250K home, may be I might get a good deal, but not many can afford a 30% down...

All the best for all who can and thanks for trying to take the reigns from the fed chief....

walking_dude
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
With all due respect asking Bernanke to increase visa numbers of to do visa recapture is like asking a very successful lawyer to do a by-pass surgery.

Congressmen (senators included) make the law and President signs it into the law. President is also the head of executive (which includes USCIS), hence he is the boss of USCIS. Its basic civics 101.

Even if Bernanke is convinced 100% about your points, there is nothing he can do to help us. He doesn't make the laws, and USCIS has no reasons to listen to him (he isn't their boss). So what you suggest, my friend, is that we bark up the wrong tree, instead of approaching the right people - who are the only people who can fix our problems.

PD_Dec2002
03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
There is already a thread open that aims to achieve similar results: http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17660

I agree with what most of the people here have said. The US economy is in a bigger hole and people buying houses isn't going to save it. It is going to take some creative and strict solutions from the Fed and the Govt to get the economy out of this mess.

Regards,
Jayant

jthomas
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Do something.... Doing something is better than doing nothing. Can somebody make a template.

walking_dude
03-17-2008, 06:13 PM
Bernanke's predecessor Alan Greenspan has written a book (check it on Amazon) where he makes a case for increased high-skilled immigration. He makes a forceful case that its good for the greater economy (and not just limited to housing sector). And yet, we don't see any action on the Capitol (do we?!).

If Bernanke gives a media statement about the benefits of increased high-skilled immigration to media, it will create a few articles, a few heated discussions. It will peter out after that ( like Bill Gates testimonies to US Congress). Ultimately its the guys sitting in the Capitol and WH who control what becomes the law. And they aren't going to decide on immigration based on what Bernanke states in a brainstorming session.

Here's the complex process - Someone has to write a bill, work on getting sponsors and co-sponsors, network with other Congressmen to support the bill. Get it through the bureacracy of the Sub-committee on Immigration in the Senate, get a filibuster proof majority of 60 senators to get it passed. Same has to be done in the House. Get it out of House immigration sub-committee. Get a majority vote in the House. In doing all this they shouldn't create a reason for Pres. Bush to veto it. In case he does veto it (for any reason) it will go back to Congress and 2/3rd majority is required to override the veto.

If it was so easy to get a bill passed [by getting Mr. Bernanke to support it] lobbying business would've been long dead. Companies wouldn't be spending millions of dollars every year to safeguard their interests.

Point is - getting Bernanke/media support may create a traction for our issue and get it some coverage. I'm not saying the effort is completely useless. It has it's place. But it will not fix the issue by itself. We still need to meet the lawmakers and convince them, we still need to send those letters, make those phone calls, send those faxes and so on. Getting Bernanke/media support will never be an alternative to IV efforts. They will, at best, complement it.

Bernanke gets called often to talk about the economy and that gets Media attention (so even if he says everything should be done to increase demand and if he mentions immigration ..that would help) ..that is commonsense 101. it is definitely worth trying.

ofcourse Ben may not read our letters but hopefully someone in his staff would (Approaching Ben or the realtors has more chance of success than sending mails to VP or to Bush) ...and maybe suggest the same during their brainstorming ..ofcourse all of this is hopes ..and with ifs and buts ..but I dont see lot of other options ..

h1techSlave
03-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Getting Bernanke/media support will never be an alternative to IV efforts. They will, at best, complement it.

I stand corrected that we still need to send letters and faxes to Senators and Bush. But a little push from the Fed won't hurt IV's efforts, would they?

vivekm1309
03-17-2008, 06:34 PM
Bernanke's predecessor Alan Greenspan has written a book (check it on Amazon) where he makes a case for increased high-skilled immigration. He makes a forceful case that its good for the greater economy (and not just limited to housing sector). And yet, we don't see any action on the Capitol (do we?!).

If Bernanke gives a media statement about the benefits of increased high-skilled immigration to media, it will create a few articles, a few heated discussions. It will peter out after that ( like Bill Gates testimonies to US Congress). Ultimately its the guys sitting in the Capitol and WH who control what becomes the law. And they aren't going to decide on immigration based on what Bernanke states in a brainstorming session.

Here's the complex process - Someone has to write a bill, work on getting sponsors and co-sponsors, network with other Congressmen to support the bill. Get it through the bureacracy of the Sub-committee on Immigration in the Senate, get a filibuster proof majority of 60 senators to get it passed. Same has to be done in the House. Get it out of House immigration sub-committee. Get a majority vote in the House. In doing all this they shouldn't create a reason for Pres. Bush to veto it. In case he does veto it (for any reason) it will go back to Congress and 2/3rd majority to override the veto.

If it was so easy to get a bill passed [by getting Mr. Bernanke to support it] lobbying business would've been long dead. Companies wouldn't be spending millions of dollars every year to safeguard their interests.

Point is - getting Bernanke/media support may create a traction for our issue and get it some coverage. I'm not saying the effort is completely useless. It has it's place. But it will not fix the issue by itself. We still need to meet the lawmakers and convince them, we still need to send those letters, make those phone calls, send those faxes and so on. Getting Bernanke/media support will never be an alternative to IV efforts. They will, at best, complement it.

Patton Boggs is a lobbyist hired by IV, Can he help in this situation ? It may be the case he already may be working to get something thru ..

walking_dude
03-17-2008, 06:56 PM
No. Bernankes support wouldn't hurt. But statements like these, by you, may give the impression that IVs approach is ineffective which is not the case.

I stand corrected that we still need to send letters and faxes to Senators and Bush. But a little push from the Fed won't hurt IV's efforts, would they?

cygent
03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
I would try get Alan Greenspan back into office :rolleyes:
Bernanke does not seem that qualified IMHO.

walking_dude
03-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Patton Boggs is a lobbying firm. Not a single person.

IV has it's own lobbyists and has been using their services to get Green Card increases attached to various bills. Good lobbyists cost a lot of money like good attorneys. Though IV has hired the services of one of the top 10 lobbying firms, IV is limited by funds in utilizing their services. Most of IVs funding comes from few recurring contributors and other members who contribute one-time every now and then. Most of the money gets spent on these lobbying efforts.

There is a general tendency here to blame IV for not trying to attach increase in Green Cards to every immigration-related bill in the Congress, or not doing more lobbying. Members who blame IV need to understand the constraint of operating under limited funds and the necessity of making wise investments in only those efforts that are likely to yeild the most benefits like the Admin fixes campaign which has a better of chance of passing in an election year than the immigration-related bills.

If IV had more regular contributing members and more funds, IV would've tried to attach it's measures to more bills and we would've had a better chance of success. But sadly that's not the case. We need to appreciate that IV is doing the best it can under the circumstances.

Patton Boggs is a lobbyist hired by IV, Can he help in this situation ? It may be the case he already may be working to get something thru ..

485InDreams
03-17-2008, 08:14 PM

I can understand your anciousness in getting green card,,but the problem now is to make existing home owners to pay off their mortgage bills and tied to their home than giving to the bunch of immigrants aspiring to buy out from them in a give away price....

Honestly speaking, we are indirectly responsible for this credit crunch...

I blame more on the Onsite/Offshore model.....

wait for some time...time is the good medicine and it will heal by itself....

485Mbe4001
03-17-2008, 08:16 PM
good old AG created this mess, there was a reason that he was called easy Al...suggest reading Bill Fleckenstein's , "Greenspan's Bubbles: The Age of Ignorance at the Federal Reserve."

Bernake has studied the great depression, he is probably the best person for the current situation, his hands are tied by a number of factors..suggested reading :)

Ben Bernanke (2005). Essays on the Great Depression.
Ben Bernanke, Thomas Laubach, Frederic Mishkin, and Adam Posen: Inflation Targeting: Lessons from the International Experience. Princeton University Press

btw, h1techSlave, there is next to nothing he can do to help us with the GCs, that my friend is one heck of a pipe dream. There is a 19 trillion derivatives market (trillion with a T) going down the drain, i doubt he has time to read or even think about your letters.

I would try get Alan Greenspan back into office :rolleyes:
Bernanke does not seem that qualified IMHO.

gg_ny
03-17-2008, 10:40 PM

we all write to Bernake that some 10, 000 immigrants will buy homes if we all get a GC. 10, 000 may or may not buy a home, but let us just polish the numbers a little bit. 10,000 * 300,000 (average home price) = 1 million billion dollars . Actually the total figure is 3 billion $$; enough to give a massive jolt to the sagging economy.

mails by albertpinto

please do not stop posting like the above just because some walking_dude has tried 650 times to sound serious and bring sense. your postings are really energizing and hilarious in these difficult times. I work for a firm contracting from the Big Bear and in these difficult times postings like these, particularly albertpinto's, are soothing for their comic sense (sounds as though the writer meant what he/she posted).

grupak
03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
oh yeah ...well atleast it helped someone. btw did you get your $2.00 payout :-) from bear stearns. the problem comes when senior members have the my way or the high way attitude. and for ordinary folks like us the "My way" attitude is not producing any visible results. and I guess since you are out of work now since BS is no longer there --can you come up with a better approach ??

albertpinto, "Senior Members" are just ordinary members like everybody else except they have posted more than 100 times. IV has an agenda and list of action items, and we all members need to actively participate. The outcome no body can guarantee because there are so many political interests and people pulling and pushing the immigration debate everywhere. However, the more we keep on pressing for our needs and educating the general population and the lawmakers about our situation, the more likely we will get help.

Its not like the IV core has things written on stone. They do listen to ordinary members like us but there isn't enough resources to engage in every "good idea". They best way to participate is through state chapters, and let the IV core know through the state chapters. At the end, we need volunteers to do the things we want to do.

vivekm1309
03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
USCIS teleconferences for March are as follows:

“Requests for Evidence (RFEs): How Do They Affect You?”
Friday, March 28, 2:00-3:00 EST

“The Green Card Production Process: How Is The Process Working For You?”
Friday, March 28, 3:30-4:30 EST

We look forward to hearing your comments, thoughts, and suggestions for improvement as well as any best practices you have noticed.

To participate in these calls, please RSVP to cisombudsman.publicaffairs@dhs.gov. Please also indicate how you learned about the program as well as the city and state from which you are calling. We will acknowledge your RSVP and provide the call-in information before the calls.

If you are unable to participate in these calls, stay tuned for similar upcoming programs which will be posted on our website, www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman. Also, if you have a topic of interest for a future call, please send it to cisombudsman.publicaffairs@dhs.gov.

To receive automatic notifications about changes to our website, please sign up on our website at www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman.

We appreciate your participation,

CIS Ombudsman’s Office

smisachu
03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=h1techSlave;231111]I have listened to a couple of speaches by Bernake in NPR. Basically that guy is completely in the blank on how to handle the economy. He simply says, we are in this mess, because the lenders were very lenient. Fed measures such as interest rate cut and pumping money into the banking system is causing the dollar to fall thus further weakening the economy.

Dude; not that your idea is bad, but don’t come up with assumptions that the fed chairman is clueless!! He has been handling the crisis extremely satisfactorily. So far he has proved to be a good chairman and similar to Greenspan and Volker.
You have to understand derivatives and structured investment vehicles to understand what the economy is facing. The risk of sub prime CDO's has been spread thorough out the credit markets. Just imagine Bear Stearns which has a head quarters building in NYC worth $1 billion was sold for $236 Mil. Yankees pay A-Rod more than that. This will tell you how the valuation of derivatives has depleted cash flow and liquidity of a wall street titan which had stood through the great depression, 2 world wars, market crashes in the 1970's, 87, 01 and recessions in between.
Google "Long term Capital management (LTCM)" and study their history you will see what derivatives are capable of. Warren buffet calls derivatives "Financial instruments of mass destruction".

So the man is faced with such a mess, don’t insult his intelligence by making unwarranted statements.

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 11:56 AM
The, few, motivated members like me who do take time off to visit Congressmen offices - do make all the points written down by you and some more. Our issue isn't that we are short of ideas or points. We have them in plenty. I assure you that I have raised these issues and made these points in every meeting that I have had so far.

Our issue is shortage of volunteers ready to visit Congressmen offices and making these points. It's highly critical that IV members keep visiting these lawmaker offices in small groups on a continuing basis (one group after another) to keep up the pressure and convince them of the genuineness and the breadth of our problem.

It would help our cause immensely if members did actually meet the lawmakers and made these points themselves, instead of expecting the few motivated members to act like a postman between them and the lawmakers. If lawmakers saw a larger number of members approaching them with the same points, it will make a better impact than a group of three which approaches them one in a while. It would help your cause as well as ours, if members did take initiative, set up meetings, and participated in these activities organized by state chapters in greater numbers

o.k. I agree. This was my suggestion - whenever core or senior or motivated members meet congressmen or other important people - he/she can just add this comment(in addition to whatever else they want to say) -
---------
Sir/Madam,
we represent the legal immigrant community. we believe that around 300K legal immigrants would contribute more to the US if something was done to take care of the inefficiencies and the long delays at USCIS. many of us have put on hold important decisions like buying houses, cars etc because of the uncertainities in the legal immigration process ..if something steps were taken to give the legal community ( like multiple year EAD's, less wastage of visa / visa recapture etc etc etc) ...then we can communicate the same to our members and this would help everyone etc etc etc. and maybe add the point that due to excessive delays and uncertainities (and the uncaring attitude of USCIS ..driver license issues etc) many skilled immi end up migrating to other countries which are more welcoming like canada, australia etc
---------------
I dont see how the above can hurt ?? maybe we need to write the above in a better way ...BTW even greenspan earlier had said that the problem in housing was an excess inventory of about 200 to 300 k house..ofcourse we cannot solve the present problems which is beyond everyone ..our aim is just to get more stability with multiple year EAD or faster GC's

rb_248
03-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Only way anythin close to this idea will work is if we somehow prove that perm residents are big spenders immediately after getting GCs. You know "Money Talks". :)

h1techSlave
03-18-2008, 12:18 PM
The, few, motivated members like me who do take time off to visit Congressmen offices - do make all the points written down by you and some more. Our issue isn't that we are short of ideas or points. We have them in plenty. I assure you that I have raised these issues and made these points in every meeting that I have had so far.

Our issue is shortage of volunteers ready to visit Congressmen offices and making these points. It's highly critical that IV members keep visiting these lawmaker offices in small groups on a continuing basis (one group after another) to keep up the pressure and convince them of the genuineness and the breadth of our problem.

It would help our cause immensely if members did actually meet the lawmakers and made these points themselves, instead of expecting the few motivated members to act like a postman between them and the lawmakers. If lawmakers saw a larger number of members approaching them with the same points, it will make a better impact than a group of three which approaches them one in a while. It would help your cause as well as ours, if members did take initiative, set up meetings, and participated in these activities organized by state chapters in greater numbers

I think what is killing this movement is that core and senior members are not open to suggestions from other members. They seems to be saying, our words are gospel truth, any deviation is not allowed. And that is killing the motivation of ordinary members including me.

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
IV is open for suggestions. That doesn't mean every suggestion posted by every member will be accepted and implemented. Do you know any organization that implements all suggestions by it's 25,000 members? If you know one, please let me know!

There is an established process to make these suggestions

1) Become a verified member by completing your profile providing verifiable contact information. IV will never accept suggestions from members who don't trust it (enough to provide their contact info)

2) Join a state chapter. Become a member/leader. Or start a 'special interest group' like IV physicians if you have a unique situation which needs a different solution.

3) Initiate your suggested activity in your state chapter. By initiate, I don't mean just posting the suggestion here or over there. 'Initiate' means setting the agenda, date, venue etc. and calling the members, and motivating them to participate. If it succeeds in one chapter, other chapters will soon join you (my experience as a chapter leader)

4) Please understand that as an organization representing volunteers, any suggestion needs the approval of majority to be implemented. Only way to get that majority buy-in is to initiate it on a small scale, and then develop it into a success story. Once others see success, they'll (majority) be motivated to join and support.

5) Most importantly, we need members who can 'lead' these efforts. Without leadership these suggestions will never take off.

I can assure you that a verified member ready to initiate his suggestion, take a lead and own the implementation of his/her suggestion will never be discouraged by us. IV leadership will be more than happy to provide all necessary help [ phone numbers to call, E-mail addresses] etc. to help the endeavor.

So the basic question is - Do you have it in you? If you do, your suggestions are most welcome.

I think what is killing this movement is that core and senior members are not open to suggestions from other members. They seems to be saying, our words are gospel truth, any deviation is not allowed. And that is killing the motivation of ordinary members including me.

gg_ny
03-18-2008, 12:41 PM
One intelligent posting amidst the cacophony. Keep it up. Sometime back one of the admin wrote about tightening the belt, holding on to ride this wave of market trouble. I wonder whether someone knowledgeable could create a thread (or add to one that exists) about this mess, mechanisms that led to it and how it is going to affect the slaves, pintos and the rest (of iV) in the next 12 months? An intelligent discussion for a change. While the Fed chairman reads the letters, emails and warnings from pintos, slaves and co. lounging by his swimming pool, sipping his martini (of course, according to the p, s & company, while market is burning), we can read something useful about the economy to prepare ourselves for the worst...

Btw pintos, my shares went up a bit 'cause my employer was not the Bear but Chase ;-). Sorry to have disappointed you.

Dude; not that your idea is bad, but don’t come up with assumptions that the fed chairman is clueless!! He has been handling the crisis extremely satisfactorily. So far he has proved to be a good chairman and similar to Greenspan and Volker.
You have to understand derivatives and structured investment vehicles to understand what the economy is facing. The risk of sub prime CDO's has been spread thorough out the credit markets. Just imagine Bear Stearns which has a head quarters building in NYC worth $1 billion was sold for $236 Mil. Yankees pay A-Rod more than that. This will tell you how the valuation of derivatives has depleted cash flow and liquidity of a wall street titan which had stood through the great depression, 2 world wars, market crashes in the 1970's, 87, 01 and recessions in between.
Google "Long term Capital management (LTCM)" and study their history you will see what derivatives are capable of. Warren buffet calls derivatives "Financial instruments of mass destruction".

So the man is faced with such a mess, don’t insult his intelligence by making unwarranted statements.

casinoroyale
03-18-2008, 12:53 PM
So lets do the numbers. If 10,000 of us buy houses worth $300K.

Lets say, each make 20% downpayment.

10,000 * $ 60,000 = $ 600 Million (right away gets pumped into the market)

each pays mortgate of $2000 per month which makes by next year this time

10, 000 * $2000 * 12 = $240 Million.

So which this plan, for 1 year, we are helping the economy by $ 840 Million. :confused:

Hmm, Is that number sufficient enough for Berneke to even think about our plan?

walking_dude
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for 'thanking' us. :-). We don't get it much here.

It's a well documented point that face-to-face meetings have the best chance of influencing lawmaker decisions [based on survey of Congressmen offices]. Letters come next and E-mails with addresses come the last. E-mail by anonymous senders are ignored. Hence the insistence on more face-to-face meetings.

If you don't know it already (which I doubt), sending a large number of anonymous E-mails, and making a large number anonymous posts in any forum is considered SPAMMING. IV will never participate or encourage such SPAMMING activities which will harm it's reputation (and don't help the cause too!)

If you think President is too busy to read our letters, why do you assume Bernanke is having all the time in the world to read anonymous E-mails and letters? He should be super-busy monitoring the BAD economic situation.

Regarding, "EB2 (I) and world advancing" if the trend continues its a good news for many, and lesser wait times for others. However, keep in mind that the swing will reverse soon, and dates will move back once we reach the end of the year (oct). PDs will be swinging wildly back and forth , like a pendulum, from now on. But don't count on it helping you. It's like a lottery. You may get it, or miss it. Until visa numbers are increased ,a large number of us, unfortunately, will continue to be stuck in the backlog and will be motivated to participate (once we have missed it for 2-3 years, we definitely will be more appreciative and more active).

No need to make melodramatic statements like these "people who oppose an idea(and take extra effort to shoot it down) are much worse than those who do nothing ". Nobody here is stopping you or others from doing what you deem right. We are just "suggesting" that it's not a good idea. You are free to ignore our suggestions, and do whatever you like. We too have the "freedom of expression" to make suggestions. Don't we?

first of all a big THANKS !! for doing the above. so basically we come to the earlier point - if there are not enough dedicated members (due to laziness, family priorities etc etc) then we can try the next thing i.e. send letters / emails to whoever cares to read them and pray that something happens.
as of now (and in my knowledge) IV is only sending letters to the President - who is obviously a busy man and maybe the letters dont even reach him.
and hence maybe IV should start campaigns to send emails / letters to other important people (Ben, Paulson, Realtors association etc etc ) and hope that the word reaches important people.
there is bit of urgency too ..as EB2 (I) and world start to advance ..you will get less volunteers (who take the effort to write and email)... let alone people who will take a day off to meet congressmen.
maybe people can just send emails or post messages related to legal immigration on websites which have articles on housing, economy etc ..what is needed is leadership at top to direct people (rather than concentrating on one campaign only)
people who oppose an idea(and take extra effort to shoot it down) are much worse than those who do nothing ..

gg_ny
03-18-2008, 01:10 PM
So lets do the numbers. If 10,000 of us buy houses worth $300K....So which this plan, for 1 year, we are helping the economy by $ 840 Million. :confused:

US consumes 8.9 million barrels of oil per day. Even if it climbs down, mark it as 8 m.b/day. That is roughly 2900 million barrels per year. If you have a hypothetical 'Bernake tax' of 50 cents per barrel ( distilling to a few pennies per gallon) for one year, one could generate 1500 million dollars. This is without the troublesome IV members getting GC, problems with anti-immigrants in many states, employing more temps at CIS to process the extra 10,000 GC in the queue etc. While I claim not to be smarter than the Fed chairman, even if I am just a local politician, I will bet on taxing gas per barrel than give GC in an election year.

HereIComeGC
03-18-2008, 01:20 PM
With all due respect asking Bernanke to increase visa numbers of to do visa recapture is like asking a very successful lawyer to do a by-pass surgery.

:):):):)

VivekAhuja
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
10000 more homes is nothing. This is not INDIA. The economy is so huge that 10000 homes is a drop in the ocean. And is the Govt. going to believe that all 10000 immigrants are going to buy homes? 75% of them won't qualify for new mortgage rules.

Plus, what is stopping you from buying a home right now?

h1techSlave
03-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks much for the encouraging words. You have made my day. :D :):

10000 more homes is nothing. This is not INDIA. The economy is so huge that 10000 homes is a drop in the ocean. And is the Govt. going to believe that all 10000 immigrants are going to buy homes? 75% of them won't qualify for new mortgage rules.

Plus, what is stopping you from buying a home right now?

gg_ny
03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
people can be so dumb...
it is better to wait for PD to become current than to convince some people (who seem to own houses-and hence are bent on opposing--wake up guys ..real estate is dead )

At last.. you got this self-realization. I have been trying to tell this in a more polished way ever since this thread was started

srikondoji
03-19-2008, 02:07 PM
There are way too many problems infront of Fed Chairman.

1) Asking people not to walk out of homes and pay up their loans
2) Making the wall street firms like Lehmen, bear sterns run their businesses as usual.
3) Contain the inflation so that long term interest rates are lowered.
4) Come out clean if the US policy is shifting towards Weak dollar or going back to string dollar policy. Either way US and world over have to face gyrations in near term.

There is blood on everybody's hands for the mess we are in.
1) Japan for too long provided the world with cheap loans (~1%).
This money not only found its way to corprate India but also into US
Housing markets.
2) Americans spent money much much more they earn or worthy off.
3) Globalization created another affect (Read Alan greenspan's 'economic conundrum' theory). Google it, you will find plenty of articles.
4) China for too long manipulated their currency and provided the world cheap goods.
5) Oil exporting countries didn't utilize the profits in developing their countries and economies. Instead they started buying aasets all over the world causing unsustainable price levels in asets.
6) Indian software industry far too long booked profits without developing/diversifying into enterprise strength products and remained fixated on their business models. Software sector is staring clueless and is unprepared for the fallout of outsourcing industry. Pink Slip culture is on the rise.

How do we come out of this financial mess in US?
There is no easy solution.

10,000 people buying homes will not help this economy. On contrary, 10,000 people not buying homes will help.

rakesh_one
03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Unless all of the 10,000 immigrants are going to bring money from their respective countries to buy homes, it is not going to change anything signficantly. You are proposing to take the money that is in the system, i.e asking banks to lend you money. The current crisis is credit crunch. Banks dont have money. All they have is mortgage bonds. There are no takers of these bonds. They are becoming junk. So, if any money from outside flows in, there will be some difference.

rakesh_one
03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Unless all of the 10,000 immigrants are going to bring money from their respective countries to buy homes, it is not going to change anything signficantly. You are proposing to take the money that is in the system, i.e asking banks to lend you money. The current crisis is credit crunch. Banks dont have money. All they have is mortgage bonds. There are no takers of these bonds. They are becoming junk. So, if any money from outside flows in, there will be some difference.

h1techSlave
03-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Rakesh, you are the first person to oppose my idea in a civil manner. A couple of guys in the forum supported the idea, but you are the first one to oppose it in a decent way. I wish IV core and other senior members show at least 50% your decency.

Mine was a just suggestion. If it is not a good one, we will not proceed with it. Your point makes perfect sense. But just as an information, many of the mortgage bonds were actually financed by oil money from the Middle East. Now a days those Sheiks are not that hot on investing in America.

Just curios, how come you have all those red dots?

srikondoji
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok. One more red rep with the following comment
"too many generalizations... just because you didn't want to buy, doesn't mean it is not right for everyone"

People make their own purchasing decisions based on their comfort. On forums, you just need to read and follow your own gut.

Also, there is a talk that when US dollar currency weakens considerably from the current levels, foreigners may be interested in owning real estate in US.
Also, US being a tourist destination for many countries Hotel sector may start booming.
However, if foreigners want to purchase, US must make considerable changes to their immigration policies to invite.

There are way too many problems infront of Fed Chairman.

1) Asking people not to walk out of homes and pay up their loans
2) Making the wall street firms like Lehmen, bear sterns run their businesses as usual.
3) Contain the inflation so that long term interest rates are lowered.
4) Come out clean if the US policy is shifting towards Weak dollar or going back to string dollar policy. Either way US and world over have to face gyrations in near term.

There is blood on everybody's hands for the mess we are in.
1) Japan for too long provided the world with cheap loans (~1%).
This money not only found its way to corprate India but also into US
Housing markets.
2) Americans spent money much much more they earn or worthy off.
3) Globalization created another affect (Read Alan greenspan's 'economic conundrum' theory). Google it, you will find plenty of articles.
4) China for too long manipulated their currency and provided the world cheap goods.
5) Oil exporting countries didn't utilize the profits in developing their countries and economies. Instead they started buying aasets all over the world causing unsustainable price levels in asets.
6) Indian software industry far too long booked profits without developing/diversifying into enterprise strength products and remained fixated on their business models. Software sector is staring clueless and is unprepared for the fallout of outsourcing industry. Pink Slip culture is on the rise.

How do we come out of this financial mess in US?
There is no easy solution.

10,000 people buying homes will not help this economy. On contrary, 10,000 people not buying homes will help.