PDA

View Full Version : PLS HELP!I didn't apply for OPT.It's a year after my graduation ROP

melody_me
12-04-2010, 11:08 AM
I had a lot of emotional and financial distress upon my graduation and I didn't get to apply for OPT. What do I do?
I mean I know I need to go speak with the dept that handles intl students in my school?
But, like, any pointers or information to please assist me?
Any constructive information/help, will be useful!
Also, I am looking into getting into graduate school within the next yr to yr and half!

raysaikat
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I had a lot of emotional and financial distress upon my graduation and I didn't get to apply for OPT. What do I do?
I mean I know I need to go speak with the dept that handles intl students in my school?
But, like, any pointers or information to please assist me?
Any constructive information/help, will be useful!
Also, I am looking into getting into graduate school within the next yr to yr and half!

If you graduated 1 year ago and was no longer a student in this last year, and did not apply for OPT before graduation, then you are already out of status - your F1 status ceased when you graduated. Moreover, your I-94 most likely said D/S. So the I-94 covered your stay only during the time you maintained F1 status. So you have been accruing illegal presence time. 6 month of illegal presence would trigger 3 year ban on reentering US; and 1 year or more would trigger a 10 year ban.

The prudent thing for you to do is to go back to your home country, and come back with a proper VISA.