PDA

View Full Version : Delay by MI DMV in issuing driver's licenses

walking_dude
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Though MI legislature has passed the bill and has been signed into law by Governor Granholm, Michigan Secretary of State (SOS) which also happens to be Michigan DMV, hasn't yet made the new rule to issue driver's licenses to newer applicants.

While Ms. Terri Lynn Land (MI SOS) showed an undue haste in making the rule to deny DLs, she has been sitting on the matter for a month now, after the bill was signed into law by the Governor, there by denying newer applicants the benefits accorded by the law.

I urge MI members to write letters to Gov. Granholm, your local MI senator and MI House Representative and also the media about the situation.

Gov. Granholm - http://michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-21995---,00.html

MI Senator - http://www.senate.michigan.gov/SenatorInfo/find-your-senator.htm

MI Representative - http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp

Contact info for MI Newspapers - http://action.aclumich.org/michigannewspapers

A letter template addressed to Gov. Granholm is provided below.

The Honorable Governor Jennifer M. Granholm
P.O. Box 30013
Lansing, Michigan 48909

Re : Inordinate Delay in making new Driving Licenses rule by Secretary of State

Dear Governor Granholm,

I'm a legal employment-based immigrant residing in the State of Michigan from the past <<number of years>> years. I work as << job title>> with <<company name>>. <<any additional details>> I am currently waiting to adjust status to permanent resident of the United States. Though my application for permanent residency has been approved, my case is backlogged in immigration system due to lack of visa numbers.

As you are aware, Secretary of State Ms. Terri Lynn Land had issued a rule to deny driver's license (DL) to residents with temporary visa status, which includes employment immigrants waiting for their green card. This rule was based on Attorney General Mike Cox's interpretation of state (opinion no 7210, issued Dec 27, 2007) that the state can provide driving licenses to only "legal and permanent" residents.

Though a bill to provide DL to legal temporary residents has been passed by both houses of Michigan legislature and signed into law by you, the benefits of the new law are being denied to our community due to inordinate delays by Secretary of State in issuing new rules to comply with the law. Its surprising that Ms. Lynn Land who showed an undue haste in implementing the denial rule has not come up with a new one even after a full month of change in law.

This delay by SOS continues to deny driving licenses to legal and lawfully admitted immigrants creating a hard situation for us. Thousands of immigrants like me who are engineers, vehicle designers, professors, doctors, and international students in Michigan universities are affected. It's impossible for many of us to commute to work, or to school. Many highly-skilled immigrants will be forced to leave the state, and universities will have a tough time in attracting international students.

Our state has already lost 30,000 residents to recession. It can ill-afford to lose thousands more at a time when the recession is worsening. Scarcity of highly-skilled workers will discourage high-tech companies from moving their jobs to Michigan. This will definitely impact your commendable initiative to attract high-tech companies to open their offices here. Also, sale of homes by several thousand immigrants will lower the home prices further. This will adversely affect the real-estate industry reeling under sub-prime crisis.

I urge you to write to Ms Lynn Land to issue the new rules at the earliest possible, and take a lead in fixing the issue. Thank you for your leadership in getting the new driver's license law passed. We hope that you'll help us once more in getting the situation resolved.

Respectfully,

<<Full Name>>
<<Street Address>>
<<City, State, Zip>>
<<phone>>

walking_dude
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Letter template for MI Senators/Representatives

<<Address of MI Senator/MI Representative>>

Honorable Senator/Representative XXX,

I'm a legal employment-based immigrant residing in the State of Michigan from the past <<number of years>> years. I work as << job title>> with <<company name>>. <<any additional details>> I am currently waiting to adjust status to permanent resident of the United States. Though my application for permanent residency has been approved, my case is backlogged in immigration system due to lack of visa numbers.

As you are aware, Secretary of State Ms. Terri Lynn Land had issued a rule to deny driver's license (DL) to residents with temporary visa status, which includes employment immigrants waiting for their green card. This rule was based on Attorney General Mike Cox's interpretation of state (opinion no 7210, issued Dec 27, 2007) that the state can provide driving licenses to only "legal and permanent" residents.

Though a bill to provide DL to legal temporary residents has been passed by both houses of Michigan legislature and signed into law by Governor Granholm, the benefits of the new law are being denied to our community due to inordinate delays by Secretary of State in issuing new rules to comply with the law. Its surprising that Ms. Lynn Land who showed an undue haste in implementing the denial rule has not come up with a new one even after a full month of change in law.

This delay by SOS continues to deny driving licenses to legal and lawfully admitted immigrants creating a hard situation for us. Thousands of immigrants like me who are engineers, vehicle designers, professors, doctors, and international students in Michigan universities are affected. It's impossible for many of us to commute to work, or to school. Many highly-skilled immigrants will be forced to leave the state, and universities will have a tough time in attracting international students.

Our state has already lost 30,000 residents to recession. It can ill-afford to lose thousands more at a time when the recession is worsening. Scarcity of highly-skilled workers will discourage high-tech companies from moving their jobs to Michigan. This will definitely impact the state's initiative to attract high-tech companies to open their offices here. Also, sale of homes by several thousand immigrants will lower the home prices further. This will adversely affect the real-estate industry reeling under sub-prime crisis.

I urge you to write to Ms Lynn Land to issue the new rules at the earliest possible, and take a lead in fixing the issue.

Respectfully,

<<Full Name>>
<<Street Address>>
<<City, State, Zip>>
<<phone>>

bskrishna
03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Should we write directly to Terri Lynn land..?

walking_dude
03-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Should we write directly to Terri Lynn land..?

Yes. We can

Terri Lynn Land, Secretary of State
MICHIGAN DEP AR TMENT OF STATE
LANSING, MICmGAN 48918-0001

Re : Delay in making new Driving Licenses rule by Secretary of State

Respected Ms. Lynn Land,

Though a bill to provide DL to legal temporary residents has been passed by both houses of Michigan legislature and signed into law by Governor Granholm, the benefits of the new law are being denied to our community due to the delay by your office in issuing new rules to comply with the law. I would like to bring to your notice that the rules remain unchanged though a whole month has passed since the change in law.

Our state has already lost 30,000 residents to recession. It can ill-afford to lose thousands more at a time when the recession is worsening. Scarcity of highly-skilled workers will discourage high-tech companies from moving their jobs to Michigan. This will definitely impact the state's initiative to attract high-tech companies to open their offices here. Also, sale of homes by several thousand immigrants will lower the home prices further. This will adversely affect the real-estate industry reeling under sub-prime crisis.

I urge you to issue the new rules at the earliest possible, and take a lead in fixing the issue.

Sincerely,

<<Full Name>>
<<Street Address>>
<<City, State, Zip>>
<<phone>>

walking_dude
03-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Letter to Editor

Dear Editor << or name of the newspaper reporter>>,

As you are aware, Secretary of State Ms. Terri Lynn Land had issued a rule to deny driver's license (DL) to residents with temporary visa status, which includes employment immigrants waiting for their green card. This rule was based on Attorney General Mike Cox's interpretation of state law (that the state can provide driving licenses to only "legal and permanent" residents.

Though a bill to provide DL to legal temporary residents has been passed by both houses of Michigan legislature and signed into law by you, the benefits of the new law are being denied to our community due to inordinate delays by Secretary of State in issuing new rules to comply with the law. Its surprising that Ms. Lynn Land who showed an undue haste in implementing the denial rule has not come up with a new one even after a full month of change in law.

This delay by SOS continues to deny driving licenses to legal and lawfully admitted immigrants is creating a hard situation for us. Thousands of immigrants like me who are engineers, vehicle designers, professors, doctors, and international students in Michigan universities are affected. It's impossible for many of us to commute to work, or to school. Many highly-skilled immigrants will be forced to leave the state, and universities will have a tough time in attracting international students.

I urge you to report the delay by Ms Lynn Land in issuing the new rules in your newspaper.

Sincerely,

<<Full Name>>
<<Street Address>>
<<City, State, Zip>>
<<phone>>

walking_dude
03-12-2008, 11:02 AM
A friendly reminder to MI members to participate in the campaign and make it a yet another success.

jasmin45
03-12-2008, 12:19 PM
I am not in MI but I believe it will be more effective to send only 1 letter to SOS and "Copied to" listed in the same letter to Governer, Senators and Press. I have seen in the past that the exposure definitely yield results and after all this is escalation of the wrong doing right!

Hey its just a suggestion!

gapala
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Its important that communication is effective and even if you are sending seperate letters, "Copy to" is a good thing to do so that the adressee knows reaction/consequences and prepares for the action. said that, I am also not in MI.

walking_dude
03-15-2008, 12:43 PM
A reminder to MI members. The issue still looms large. We need to get SOS to pass the new rules ASAP to help the international students and newcomers to our state.