PDA

View Full Version : All technical terms on Immigration

pappu
03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
What is an RFE?
What does LUD mean?
What is ROW?

etc are the questions many people ask.

Please post a list of all such acronyms we use. This will be a good reference for anyone searching for such information. This thread will be made a sticky.

Compilation of replies from this thread so far (by eeezzz (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17867)):
AD - Approval Date (When your application was approved)
AOS - Adjustment of status
AOS - Affidavit of Support (Department of State definition, AOS means Affidavit of Support )
AP - Advance Parole (I-131): is the authorization to travel outside the US while her adjustment of status is pending
AR - Administrative Review
ASC – Application Support Center: offers fingerprinting services
BC - Birth Certificate
Bio - Biometrics (Digital photo, index finger FP and your digital signature. This is needed for the production of GC.
CP - Consular Processing
CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
CWOP - Cancelled Without Prejudice
DCF - Direct Consular filing
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
DIL - Dictionary of Immigration Lingo
DO - District Office
DORA - Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment of Status
DOS: Department of State
EAC - Eastern Application Center
EAD - Employment Authorization Document (I-765, approval to work while waiting for AOS Approval)
EVL - Employment Verification Letter
FP - Finger Print
GC - Green Card
iEAD - Interim Employment Authorization Document (If your EAD application has been pending past 90 days from the RD (not ND) you can go to your District Office to apply for an iEAD, this will allow you to work while your actual EAD is still pending.)
INFOPASS - is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD
INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
ID - Interview Date
IO - Immigration officer
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident
LUD - Last Update Date on your on-line portfolio at USCIS website. It is the date when they last took action on your application, could be anything.
Soft LUD --> There is only LUD change. No change in status.
Hard LUD --> LUD plus status change.
MSC - Missouri Service Center
NBC - National Benefit Center (is the one which process your forms initially)
ND - Notice Date. Mostly the date on which the I-485 app was entered into the USCIS database. (Note: For most July 2nd filers, the notice and receipt dates are more than a month apart).
NOA’s - Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms indicates I-797C
NVC - National Visa Center
PCC - Police Clearance Certificate
PD - Priority Date. Date when the labour was FIRST submitted.
POE - Port of entry
PP - Premium Processing
RD - Receipt Date. Mostly the date on which the I-485 application was received by the USCIS.
RFE - Request for Evidence
RFI - Request for Initial Evidence
ROW --> Rest of the World (excludes countries that are over subscribed)
SC - Service Center (this is used with a prefix, eg CSC - California Service Center; MSC - Missouri Service Center (that is the address from where you will received your NOA's)
SSA - Social Security Administration
SSN - Social Security Number
TAL - Technology Alert List
USC - US Citizen
USCIS- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
VB = Visa Bulletin
WAC - Western Application Center

Service Centers:
NSC: Nebraska Service Center
TSC: Texas Service Center
CSC: California Service Center
VSC: Vermont Service Center

If your receipt number starts with:
EAC - It is being processed at the Vermont Service Center
WAC - It is being processed at the California Service Center
LIN - It is being processed at the NSC
SRC - It is being processed at the TSC

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/images/misc/progress.gif IV: Immigration Voice

ajju
03-03-2008, 12:19 PM
What is PD, AD, RD, ND? Priority Date, Approval Date, Receipt Date, Notice Date
What does IO mean? Immigration Officer
What is EVL? Employment Verification Letter

gc_kaavaali
03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
what is EAD? Employment Authorization Document
what is AP? Advance Parole
what is PP? Premium Processing
what is FP? Finger Print

gcisadawg
03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
LUD - Last updated date
Soft LUD --> There is only LUD change. No change in status.
Hard LUD --> LUD plus status change.
ROW --> Rest of the World ( excludes countries that are over subscribed)
IO --> Immigration officer
PD --> Priority Date
RD --> Receipt Date
ND --> Notice Date
TSC --> Texas Service Centre
NSC --> Nebraska Service centre

If your receipt number starts with:
EAC - It is being processed at the Vermont Service Center
WAC - It is being processed at the California Service Center
LIN - It is being processed at the NSC
SRC - It is being processed at the TSC

INFOPASS --> An Internet-based system that enables the public to go online to schedule appointments with immigration IOs at USCIS

manderson
03-03-2008, 01:39 PM
EVL = Employment Verification Letter
AD = Approval Date
VB = Visa Bulletin

manderson
03-03-2008, 01:43 PM
I copied from someone else's post. I don't mean to steal credit or anything. I just copied into a word doc a long time ago and don't remember who originally posted it. So thanks to that person.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The numbering system on receipts has significance. The system varies somewhat depending on the software system used to process the case. Those systems are enumerated below for you use.

A case processed in CLAIMS3 – LAN version is structured as follows:

LIN 99 001 50001

LIN represents the office location where initially received into the electronic system. In the example, LIN indicates Lincoln, Nebraska or NSC. Cases that are received at another Service Center but processed at the NSC will generally carry the originating office number.

EAC = St. Albans, Vermont or Vermont Service Center

SRC= Dallas, Texas or Texas Service Center

WAC= Laguna Niguel, California or California Service Center

99 represents the fiscal year in which the case was received.

001 represents the computer workday in the fiscal year on which the fee was taken. Generally 001 is October 1st, the first working day of the fiscal year. 265 generally is a computer work day in September. This is NOT truly a julian date because no “computer work day” exists if the center does not receipt cases on any particular date, e.g. most Saturday’s, all Sunday’s and holidays.

50001 represents the particular case number. In this case, it is the first case received in CLAIMS3 LAN on that particular workday.

A case processed in CLAIMS3 Mainframe has a similar structure:

LIN 99 001 00001

All is the same as the CLAIMS3 LAN version except the particular case number. The LAN version commences with 5: The mainframe version commences with 0. * The significance of this difference is that electronic case status information is NOT available to the public for the mainframe cases. Only I-751s and I-829s are/have been receipted in this version.

A case processed in CLAIMS4 (currently only N-400’s) has a different structure. It has two significant numbers. The first (application identification number/APP ID) is a series letters, numbers and a symbol. LIN*000000006 is an example of an APP ID. This is strictly sequential and does not change at the fiscal year. This is the number to refer to when seeking information regarding this case.

The other relevant number is the number printed on the reverse of the financial statement (check, money order, etc) used for paying the fee. It is the payment identification number (PAY ID). Its structure is: LIN$000000004. This too is purely sequential, and is not the same number as the “APP ID”. It may be followed by some other numbers such as:

LIN$000000004 (1)

LIN$0000000 04 (2).

The significance of this is sequencing is that more than one financial instrument was used to pay the fee for one application. For instance, if an N-400 applicant submitted two checks to pay for the N-400 fee and the fingerprint fee, the sequence might be as listed above, each check/money order bearing one of the sequenced numbers. The case would only have one “APP ID” however: (for example LIN*000000006).

The “PAY ID” number may not be used for case status in the automated information system, however the “APP ID” can be used. The “PAY ID” can be used for seeking status information when talking with an INS representative."

eb3_nepa
03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
_

eb3_nepa
03-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Acronyms:

Service Centers:
NSC: Nebraska Service Center
TSC: Texas Service Center
CSC: California Service Center
VSC: Vermont Service Center

I-485 related benefits/procedures
AP: Advanced Parole
EAD: Employment Authorization Document aka WORK PERMIT.
FP: Finger printing.

I-485 related terms
LUD: Last Update Date. The Date that shows up in the USCIS application when you view it online.
PD: Priority Date. Date when the labour was FIRST submitted.
RD. Receipt Date. Mostly the date on which the I-485 application was received by the USCIS.
ND: Notice Date. Mostly the date on which the I-485 app was entered into the USCIS database. (Note: For most July 2nd filers, the notice and receipt dates are more than a month apart).

Visa Bulletin Related terminology:
VB: Visa Bulletin. The monthly (pain in the neck) bulletin that the USCIS/DOS prints out.
ROW. Rest of the world. It is a country category. There is China, India, Mexico, Philippinnes and Rest of the world(ROW).
DOS: Department of State
DHS: Department of Homeland security
USCIS: If you dont know this, pls go back home ;) (Formerly and sometimes still known as the INS)

Miscallaneous:
IV: Immigration Voice.

pappu
03-03-2008, 02:15 PM
How to Contact USCIS?
What is POJ method?
What is CRIS?
How to get email updates?
How to get Google Gadget for case status?
What is a Service request?
What is infopass?
What is PERM?
What is DOL?

pappu
03-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Please think of such useful questions and post questions and answers for others.

vish77
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
D- Approval Date (When your application was approved)
AOS - Adjustment of status
AOS - Affidavit of Support (Department of State definition, AOS means Affidavit of Support ;) )
AP - Advance Parole (I-131): is the authorization to travel outside the US while her adjustment of status is pending
AR - Administrative Review
ASC – Application Support Center: offers fingerprinting services
BC - Birth Certificate
Bio - Biometrics (Digital photo, index finger FP and your digital signature. This is needed for the production of GC.
CP - Consular Processing
CPR - Conditional Permanent Resident
CWOP - Cancelled Without Prejudice
DCF - Direct Consular filing
DHS - Department of Homeland Security
DIL - Dictionary of Immigration Lingo
DO - District Office
DORA - Dallas Office Rapid Adjustment of Status
EAC - Eastern Application Center
EAD - Employment Authorization Document (I-765, approval to work while waiting for AOS Approval)
FP - Finger Print
GC - Green Card
iEAD - Interim Employment Authorization Document (If your EAD application has been pending past 90 days from the RD (not ND) you can go to your District Office to apply for an iEAD, this will allow you to work while your actual EAD is still pending.)
INFOPASS - is an online appointment so you can go to your DO if you have a doubt or want to know something about your case in person or to request your iEAD
INS - Immigration and Naturalization Service
ID - Interview Date
IO - Immigration officer
LPR - Legal Permanent Resident
LUD - Last Update Date on your on-line portfolio at USCIS website. It is the date when they last took action on your application, could be anything.
MSC - Missouri Service Center
NBC - National Benefit Center (is the one which process your forms initially)
ND - Notice Date (When USCIS notified you that they received your application)
NOA’s - Notice of Action is your receipt/letter that you received after you filed your forms indicates I-797C
NVC - National Visa Center
PCC - Police Clearance Certificate
PD - Priority Date
POE - Port of entry
RD - Receipt Date (When USCIS received your application)
RFI - Request for Initial Evidence
SC - Service Center (this is used with a prefix, eg CSC - California Service Center; MSC - Missouri Service Center (that is the address from where you will received your NOA's)
SSA - Social Security Administration
SSN - Social Security Number
USC - US Citizen
USCIS- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
WAC - Western Application Center

manderson
03-05-2008, 09:34 AM
How to get google gadget to track you case status portfolio (per pappu's Q). I tried it yesterday and it was very nifty. You can add it to your iGoogle page and it shows the number of days since the Last Update (LUD) and not just the date of LUD - on a case by case basis. It's definitely easier than manually logging into USCIS's website and more reliable than automatic email updates which doesn't work all the time (Now only if there was a Yahoo Desktop Widget...):

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?synd=open&q=case+status&btnG=Search+Google+Gadgets

By the way, this gadget is provided by imminav.com, also a very handy website which collates all immigration forms and tracks number of case updates every day.

immi_enthu
03-05-2008, 12:11 PM
How to get google gadget to track you case status portfolio (per pappu's Q). I tried it yesterday and it was very nifty. You can add it to your iGoogle page and it shows the number of days since the Last Update (LUD) and not just the date of LUD - on a case by case basis. It's definitely easier than manually logging into USCIS's website and more reliable than automatic email updates which doesn't work all the time (Now only if there was a Yahoo Desktop Widget...):

http://www.google.com/ig/directory?synd=open&q=case+status&btnG=Search+Google+Gadgets

By the way, this gadget is provided by imminav.com, also a very handy website which collates all immigration forms and tracks number of case updates every day.

Do you know if imminav.com get's hold of the userid and password if someone uses the gadget ?

manderson
03-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Sorry I don't know the answer to that. But it does not hide your password as you type it and then later save it in iGoogle.

Do you know if imminav.com get's hold of the userid and password if someone uses the gadget ?

pappu
08-08-2009, 08:55 AM
Just bumping this thread to add more to it and asking members to update this page

http://immigrationvoice.org/wiki/index.php/Technical_Terms_on_US_Immigration

vedicman
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Lets restrict the abbreviations and links related to immigration only. IV wiki is the place to update it for anyone interested.