PDA

View Full Version : Overstaying doing research

Spain
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Hello, my F1 Visa is at a Culinary School till September 11 but I no longer wish to continue my studies there but rather do coffee analysis and research at a coffee lab company that has given me the opportunity to do an internship (non paid) till March. Right now am not enrolled in school anymore so am wondering who should I write to or call to let them know I want to stay here till March doing research only. Thanks

LostInGCProcess
11-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Hello, my F1 Visa is at a Culinary School till September 11 but I no longer wish to continue my studies there but rather do coffee analysis and research at a coffee lab company that has given me the opportunity to do an internship (non paid) till March. Right now am not enrolled in school anymore so am wondering who should I write to or call to let them know I want to stay here till March doing research only. Thanks

Its illegal to overstay. If you overstayed for a period of 180 days or less, there is a automatic 3 year bar to US. More than that its a 10 year bar.

Spain
11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
The place where I will do the research has an internship program and I know people come from different countries, should I ask a letter from them and I send it somewhere to let them know am here till March? Thanks very much

LostInGCProcess
11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
The place where I will do the research has an internship program and I know people come from different countries, should I ask a letter from them and I send it somewhere to let them know am here till March? Thanks very much

How did you get here in the first place? If you are a student, then the legal document would be your I-20 (from the school). Once you get the I-20 for a educational program, you extend your visa or the date on your I-94.
But if you already acquired unlawful presence here, I doubt if they would grant you any stay.

Spain
11-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I have an F1 visa from the school but am supposed to enroll in the next year classes which I dont want to so right now I guess I am on those 60 days they give you to leave, not sure. Thanks for your help.

LostInGCProcess
11-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I have an F1 visa from the school but am supposed to enroll in the next year classes which I dont want to so right now I guess I am on those 60 days they give you to leave, not sure. Thanks for your help.

Well, you need to talk to an Immigration attorney. There is only so much you can get from a forum that too not knowing all the facts about your situation. Don't rely completely on the answers given in this form. Talk to an attorney.

Spain
11-12-2010, 03:37 PM
ok, Thanks very much,

thomachan72
11-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Unfortunately you might not be able to do what you are planning. F1 visa holders are requred to be registered for the minimum number of credits each semester without any exception. You are able to work for 20 hours but that too on campus and not anywhere outside the campus. To do an internship you might have to wait till the graduate work is over and then do it while on OPT.

Again; Not an attorney and have limited knowledge on these issues.