PDA

View Full Version : can anyone share AP experience at SFO

meridiani.planum
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Traveling for the 1st time on AP (used H1 stamp previously, now I am on ead), wanted to know how the experience at SFO is. Do they always send you for secondary inspection? Anything else to know beforehand?

here's the list of docs I have from earlier post:
(http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum76-travel-out-of-country-and-re-entry-during-after-485-filing/24709-good-to-carry-documents-for-ap-travelers.html)
- All copies of AP
- EAD
- Passport, of course
- 485 receipt notice (Good to carry)
- 140 approval notice (Good to carry)
- Labor approval notice (Good to carry)
- Company identification card/badge (Good to carry)
- Current employment verification letter (Good to carry, I never did and I was okay)
- Old stamped APs, if you have used AP to travel in the past (Good to carry)

anything else?

Also, when leaving Bangalore, any issues if you only have an AP and no H1 stamping?

thanks.

ashwinr
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
My wife & i traveled last December and entered on AP. My H1 I797 is still active, but stamping was expired.

They sent us to secondary inspection & i submitted AP, passport, copy of AOS receipts. Half hour later, they returned the AP/passport with I94. No questions asked.

I'm traveling again in Sept and interested in knowing any recent experiences.

ashwinr
07-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Also, i traveled to Chennai & had no issues with immigration there.

I had switched jobs early last year and notified USCIS (AC21). I received a RFE for employment verfication in October and we responded to it before i traveled.

mn1975
07-17-2009, 02:12 PM
we just came back from india (June end) to SFO

At primary area the officer just saw AP, scanned passports, checked something in the computer and sent us to secondary area.

At secondary inspection just submitted APs(all copies),passport. After 45 mins they called us
returned the passport, I-94, and one original AP all stamped

If you are married and your wife is coming alone make sure she has all original copies of AP

We came from ahmedabad, and the immigration officer knew about AP so was smooth, but can be a real headache if airline guys are unaware of it (headache means time consuming).

hope this helps

desitechie
07-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Traveling for the 1st time on AP (used H1 stamp previously, now I am on ead), wanted to know how the experience at SFO is. Do they always send you for secondary inspection? Anything else to know beforehand?

here's the list of docs I have from earlier post:
(http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum76-travel-out-of-country-and-re-entry-during-after-485-filing/24709-good-to-carry-documents-for-ap-travelers.html)
- All copies of AP
- EAD
- Passport, of course
- 485 receipt notice (Good to carry)
- 140 approval notice (Good to carry)
- Labor approval notice (Good to carry)
- Company identification card/badge (Good to carry)
- Current employment verification letter (Good to carry, I never did and I was okay)
- Old stamped APs, if you have used AP to travel in the past (Good to carry)

anything else?

Also, when leaving Bangalore, any issues if you only have an AP and no H1 stamping?

thanks.

I came in Jan and secondary inspection took only 10 mins. Just gave the PP and AP doc.

maddipati1
07-17-2009, 05:34 PM
my wife used AP in Feb'09 end. IOs are very well aware of it, so take it easy, not a thing to worry. they do send u to secondary inspection room for sure, but didnt even take more than 5 mins for us and no questions asked. seems like they know what they are suppose to do. logically, with the # of IT immigrants in Bay area, they must be used to it.

kittu1991
07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
We travelled last year from Kochi to SFO with no issue. Yes you have to go secondary room. Based on the number of people ahead of you, your wait can vary. But once its your turn it should take only less than 5 mins.

meridiani.planum
07-18-2009, 12:20 PM
thanks for the responses everyone!

yogeshmanohar
07-19-2009, 11:55 AM
We are travelling next month from SFO on advance parole and expired I 94 and expired visa stamp in passport (but valid I 797) . I 140 is approved and we have EAD.
I was little worried about PoE scrutiny.. Above posts have made me little more comfortable about the travel.

Thanks guys.

seeking_GC
07-19-2009, 02:34 PM
I came back from India yesterday and used my AP for the second time in SFO ( had been to India last November using the same AP) and had absolutely no issues. I have used AC 21 so I am not with the employer who started my GC process.

When you come into immigration they take your finger prints, just hand them your AP and passport and they will send you to secondary inspection.( If you are using AP you are always sent to secondary inspection), place your passport and AP in the slots placed on the table as you enter the room, the immigration officers will pick up the papers one by one and call your name if they have any questions. For me they asked if I had only one copy of my AP, I said yes as they had kept one copy the last time I had used my AP. He then asked me how long I was out of the country (2 weeks ) and whether it was business or vacation ( business in my case ), he asked me to have a seat, five mins later he called and gave me my passport and parole stamped AP ( He stamped it a second time as there was already a parole stamp on the AP) Whole process took about 20-25 mins.

Hope that helps