PDA

View Full Version : H1B Extension Issues

pod1
10-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I am in 6th year of my H1B. It is expiring in Aug 2011.

Here are some details:
- My I-140 is approved with a priority date of Aug 2006 under EB2-India.
- I did not apply for I-485 so I do not have a EAD.
- My wife is also on H1B which expires in Aug 2012.

Here are my questions:
1) If I apply for H1B extension in July 2011 under regular processing and assuming it takes 4-5 months for USCIS to process the application, can I still continue to work? For how many days can I work if visa renewal is still in processing after the visa has expired.
2) If I get a denial of H1B extension do I become out of status from the date of denial or from the day H1B got expired?
3) If I get a denial of H1B extension can I immediately apply for H4 as a dependent to my wife's visa without any issues?
4) If I get a denial of H1B extension, what happens to my I-140? Is it automatically invalid?
5) If I do convert to H4 status and my priority date becomes current can I apply for I-485?

krishna_brc
10-21-2010, 03:54 AM
I am in 6th year of my H1B. It is expiring in Aug 2011.

Here are some details:
- My I-140 is approved with a priority date of Aug 2006 under EB2-India.
- I did not apply for I-485 so I do not have a EAD.
- My wife is also on H1B which expires in Aug 2012.

Here are my questions:
1) If I apply for H1B extension in July 2011 under regular processing and assuming it takes 4-5 months for USCIS to process the application, can I still continue to work? For how many days can I work if visa renewal is still in processing after the visa has expired.
2) If I get a denial of H1B extension do I become out of status from the date of denial or from the day H1B got expired?
3) If I get a denial of H1B extension can I immediately apply for H4 as a dependent to my wife's visa without any issues?
4) If I get a denial of H1B extension, what happens to my I-140? Is it automatically invalid?
5) If I do convert to H4 status and my priority date becomes current can I apply for I-485?

Chances are very high that your priority date will be current before Aug 2011.
good luck