PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Charlotte

eb2nyc
12-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Hello everyone , my company has asked me to move to Charlotte and our office is in Ballantyne Parkway ...... I was very interested in this but I was reading through some threads on the some forums and was shocked to understand that there may be a factor of racism (I know it's very sensitive subject) . I am a Asian India (origin of India) and very concerned especially for the safety and culture of a place so that I can belong to a community . I have been in this country for 10 years and have lived across the country west , east , mid west and never seen thought about this....but looks like moving to south may be a bit different . I would request anyone on this forum to please help me in deciding this move. At this point I was thinking of living in Ballantyne, Waxhaw or Mathhews ....... I would really appreciate someone who is an asian indian and has lived in the area for number of years...... sorry guys I don't want to offend anybody but I want my family to be safe (have a 3.5 years old boy)..

Please help me !

mhtanim
12-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I lived close to Charlotte for few years and many of my friends have been living in Raleigh/Durham area for a long time and they really love it. Charlotte actually is bigger city than Raleigh/Durham and you would find people from different ethnicity in the city. Honestly, I would move in there if I could.

Sometimes, here and there you might see some people who would give you a bad look because of your skin color, but that’s the same case any small town you would go to. Don’t worry about safety – you will be safer in there than you probably are now in a big city.

Not much traffic in Charlotte, housing is cheap, food is cheap, people in general are nice, weather is ok as it doesn’t get too cold in winter, rains a lot – it’s a nice place to live and raise a family.

Before you move, go and visit the city for few days to make up your mind. Good luck.

nashdel
12-23-2007, 04:06 PM
I am an Indian and have lived in a smaller town close to charlotte for more than 3 years. I have also lived in north for 6 years prior to that. There is practically no difference for us. You will like it.

pmpforgc
12-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi

I moved to South Carolina from Louisiana couple two years back. though Louisiana is one of the poorest state is most south, I never felt that I am from outside US when leaving there.

When I came to South carollina I suddenly experienced what racism is. Evry where in South carolina most of the people dont want any one from outside the country.

I work at reputed university at a good position, but even in the department and every where else in the university I have felt that there is lot of racism at this place. Even few months from now I will loose my job, though officially given reasons are different, racism and dont want outsider is a major factor in the decision. Because if you can not speak local accent,( even if you are from europe) they consider you outsiders. My spouse who works at one of the retail store also experience racism evey day in this state.

I never experienced so in Louisiana or at University there.

so though south carolina may be worst for any one from outside the country ( I am from India) I have heared that situation may be quite similar in some parts of Georgia and Norh Carolina.

Though I have not heared that bad about Raleigh or Charllotte.

But I think it is good idea to look at the lving place when you are trying to move.

Though I will be loosing job soon, I am happy that it will give me chance to move out of SC. That can show you how worst this issue can be even at the acdemic institutes.

Hope others will place experiences of their own to help in this major aspect, in any of the state.

eb2nyc
12-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys , I appreciate the feedback , Yes I am planning to go in Jan -Feb . Also do you guys know any good apartments in Ballntyne area before I buy a house, safety and sanity is foremost and not money in deciding. Also would I have any driving licence issues ....currently my H1B visa on passport is expired extension is till July2008 and I have EAD till Oct .I heard it's very difficult to get driver licnecse in NC ?

cygent
12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
My good buddy is also moving there from Florida. he has a < 6 month old son.

If I remember, I read about rising small town in US, & Charlotte was named one of them. From everybody I have talked to, I am certain it is a very nice place.

sargon
12-24-2007, 01:42 AM
My post is not directed towards any individual, but towards everybody who is posting threads with questionable relevance on imigrationvoice.org, so please read it calmly and treat it as positive criticism as it really is.

immigrationvoice.org site is run exclusively towards the fixing the problem of legal immigration to US, and focuses primarily on employment based immigration. Hence all discussions relating to Green card is relevant here. Also, with some justification one can include the discussion regarding H1, L1 etc visa as relevant discussion too. But Often times I have seen people posting totally extraneous threads like merits of living in different cities of US, quality of service of different airlines and such issues which are completely against the spirit of this website.

Having hundred of threads with questionable utility only increases the clutter on this site. It makes searches on threads slow. One really has to wade through a maze of threads to find any given thread.

So I request everybody to be sparse while creating new threads. There are many other websites which are targeted towards specific topics. May be your questions will be better received and better answered there. Let?s keep immigrationvoice.org for immigration related discussions.

gc_check
12-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks guys , I appreciate the feedback , Yes I am planning to go in Jan -Feb . Also do you guys know any good apartments in Ballntyne area before I buy a house, safety and sanity is foremost and not money in deciding. Also would I have any driving licence issues ....currently my H1B visa on passport is expired extension is till July2008 and I have EAD till Oct .I heard it's very difficult to get driver licnecse in NC ?

Having stayed 10 years in this country, it is not difficult for you to find the answers. for questions you might have, to decide on relocation. Visit the place before you decide to relocate and then decide. Do some research on the net and you will find all the answers.

Although, I do not live in Charlotte, know few people who live there and myself, having lived here in NC for past few years (moved to big city for a year and relocated back to NC), this is a very nice place to settle down, Small/mid size city, reasonable home price, good public schools, shorter commute(more time with family), cost of living is reasonable. good weather, doesn't get too cold in winter, lots of folks from various countries including India, China, ...good place to live.

Driving licence is an issue, used to be very simple, but now the rules have changed, Heard from friends, they ask for a valid visa stamp, and also they do not accept extension approvals, (Not 100% sure, please verify this). Having EAD, it should be fine, but have not talked to anyone who applied for DL with EAD.

eb2nyc
12-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks everyone , even those who didn't like this thread. I guess many of us don't like people asking each other questions, thus I would ask moderators to please close this thread.

I don't want to explain myself as why it took 10 years etc etc.... ( 3 layoffs , company bankruptcies etc... ). I just thought after hearing so much about immigrationvoice through my friend that this community may help and that's the reason instead of opening this thread under GC , H1B , I created it under a NC chapter and was thiniking and also joined NC chapter on google group. Once I move to NC , I will also do some grass root activities. Again no offense to people who don't like such questions , but I hope you don't go throuh what i have been through and this forum I felt would have helped me....

MODERATORS : Please close this inappropriate thread.

Refugee_New
12-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I got a job offer from DC Metro and i am planning to move to Maryland. I may rent an apartment near Gaithersburg/Rockville/Germantown.

Anyone from this forum have any idea about this place? How about buying a house there?

JazzByTheBay
12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Neither agree or disagree with you about the usefulness or appropriateness of such threads.

However, I haven't seen anything in any "IV code of conduct" or any kind of membership rules or forum participation rules that prohibits such discussion, imho.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong and welcome the core team or moderators' comments on this.

- If such rules exist, we should enforce them
- If such rules don't exist, there's nothing to enforce. In that case, members will discuss what concerns them - moderators have the prerogative to take action. And you have the prerogative of reading/not reading such threads.

cheers!
jazz

My post is not directed towards any individual, but towards everybody who is posting threads with questionable relevance on imigrationvoice.org, so please read it calmly and treat it as positive criticism as it really is.

immigrationvoice.org site is run exclusively towards the fixing the problem of legal immigration to US, and focuses primarily on employment based immigration. Hence all discussions relating to Green card is relevant here. Also, with some justification one can include the discussion regarding H1, L1 etc visa as relevant discussion too. But Often times I have seen people posting totally extraneous threads like merits of living in different cities of US, quality of service of different airlines and such issues which are completely against the spirit of this website.

Having hundred of threads with questionable utility only increases the clutter on this site. It makes searches on threads slow. One really has to wade through a maze of threads to find any given thread.

So I request everybody to be sparse while creating new threads. There are many other websites which are targeted towards specific topics. May be your questions will be better received and better answered there. Let?s keep immigrationvoice.org for immigration related discussions.

leoindiano
12-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I live in charlotte, NC. Ballentyne is a good place to live. Most people in charlotte moved from urbanized cities in states like NY, MI, OH, FL. You will not see big difference. Indian community is pretty big compared to what we had 2 years back. Weather...As some say it is the best voted weather in the country.

License can be renewed using H1 extension with a old visa stamp.

paskal
12-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks everyone , even those who didn't like this thread. I guess many of us don't like people asking each other questions, thus I would ask moderators to please close this thread.

I don't want to explain myself as why it took 10 years etc etc.... ( 3 layoffs , company bankruptcies etc... ). I just thought after hearing so much about immigrationvoice through my friend that this community may help and that's the reason instead of opening this thread under GC , H1B , I created it under a NC chapter and was thiniking and also joined NC chapter on google group. Once I move to NC , I will also do some grass root activities. Again no offense to people who don't like such questions , but I hope you don't go throuh what i have been through and this forum I felt would have helped me....

MODERATORS : Please close this inappropriate thread.

is to write a mail to the NC chapter group- they are an active bunch and there are some members living in Charlotte. You would get first hand advice...

zephyrr
12-24-2007, 02:27 PM
sargon has a good point - but - i believe that in order to be successful with a grassroots organization, it is important to feel like you are part of a community. social posts like these serve to unify members and connect with each other. also, i see no harm in IV being a networking site on the side, as long as long terms goals are being worked upon.

drak70
12-24-2007, 05:54 PM

I there is element of immigration issue with subtle overtones which we as immigrants need to be aware.
I will give an example: new i arrived doctors who are looking for residency will be applying to "IMG friendly hospitals"for residency interviews. these are hospitals which have admitted large number of foreign doctors previou sly and the medical staff accepts these hardworking brilliant doctors . On the other hand there are some hospitals where you will not find a single foreign doctor residents.if only USMLE scores and recommendation were the only criteria then hundred on graduates from elite medical schools would be admitted there. but the plain and simple fact is the the decision to employ or not employ a foreign graduate depends on culture of the organization , and senior leadership.

that anology can be extended to other places. We are very well aware of our skills but we need to stay and work in place which is accomodating to legal immigrants well

Aah_GC
12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
North Carolina is one of the best states to live and raise your family. You will find a lot of warm and freindly people and also a lot of desis. Good luck with your move - I am sure you will love it.

leoindiano
12-25-2007, 10:51 AM
http://www.city-data.com/city/Charlotte-North-Carolina.html

This link should give you an idea.... there shud be a link to forums also in the same website. where you can get leads to real-estate buying, auto, other requirements posting your questions...

gc28262
12-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Charlotte,NC has one of the most beautiful downtowns.
However NC has one of the highest income taxes in the country. It is higher than NY,NJ. It equals to that of California.

new2perm
12-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I live in Charlotte and really like the city. I myself have a 2 1/2 yr old and am not worried about him growing up here. Weather is great! Mostly courteous drivers with very few crazy drivers.

About license, expired visa on passport is fine as long as you have proof of valid status.

vat69
07-10-2008, 06:42 PM
Lived in South Carolina for 6 years and presently living in Charlotte from past 1 year, no need to be scared of anything like racism etc, it all depends on places you hangout.

Desertfox
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Couldn't agree with you more!

Neither agree or disagree with you about the usefulness or appropriateness of such threads.

However, I haven't seen anything in any "IV code of conduct" or any kind of membership rules or forum participation rules that prohibits such discussion, imho.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong and welcome the core team or moderators' comments on this.

- If such rules exist, we should enforce them
- If such rules don't exist, there's nothing to enforce. In that case, members will discuss what concerns them - moderators have the prerogative to take action. And you have the prerogative of reading/not reading such threads.

cheers!
jazz

srini1976
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM

This is for everyone who now and then keep asking the moderators to close the thread(s) if its not related to directly to immigration.

Whats wrong in asking those questions? It makes people feel that "IV is mine", "IV is like a community", "IV members are smart", "IV members help them make a decision".

I agree with all such people who come to this site just not only to discuss immigration but their other issues/problems.

Just logging into IV..checking the immigration updates makes the person insane. Already half of the immigrant folks are feeling the pain with delays in all kinds of GC/immigration issues.

My only advise to all such folks. Please refrain from reading such threads and let the others share their problems/grief/happiness.

This life is already mechanical satisfying all the silly immigration rules. Let some happiness,fresh air prevail with such threads.

If you dont understand the intent of my post please shut up and move on with reading only immigration related threads.

As long as IV doesnt have a code of conduct asking members not to post such threads everyone is equal and fair to post such threads.

Lastly - I have begun coming more to IV not just for immigration related threads. People here are growing fast as a community and opening up to post all kinds of issues which is very good. There is no harm to IV. If you keep asking people to go to other sites then we(IV) will be left with no members except people like you...

h1techSlave
07-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Could any one provide some details about the job prospects in Charlotte?

Also about the public schools? Which areas in Charlotte have good public schools?

gccovet
07-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Could any one provide some details about the job prospects in Charlotte?

Also about the public schools? Which areas in Charlotte have good public schools?

Check out NC Department of Public Instruction website for Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/

Also, nice article to read as well.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/newsroom/news/2006-07/20061115-01

GCCovet

h1techSlave
07-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the reponse.
Check out NC Department of Public Instruction website for Charlotte-Mecklenburg schools.

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/

Also, nice article to read as well.

http://www.ncpublicschools.org/newsroom/news/2006-07/20061115-01

GCCovet