PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we can make smaller IV contributions..will this help??

crazyAbtUS
12-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Hello there,

I have been wanting to make an IV contribution for a long time and here is my problem..I probably can be labeled a miseror a magpie! ..Whenever I go to the IV link to contribute and see the $50 or $100 option I panic and get out..yes I do!
I have some desi colleagues and was discussing this issue with them at work..and they had the exact same experience..wow..I am not the only magpie..

But hey is'nt IV the one which is at the receiving end not getting our contributions..

I speak from my own experience and call me a mapie or a miser..or whatever..I cant make myself make a $50 or more contribution .. thats the way I am..But I can sure make a smaller contribution (like a monthly recurring $10 contribution which really is easier to make) and I am quite sure IV will benefit from my small contributions as well as i think a lot more people will not hesitate making contributions in smaller denominations than a whopper $50+

And really this is not related to IV effort but more to do with my own way of thinking about parting with my money..I love my money..:)...

My history - Made $0 contributions so far..and have been wanting to contribute for a long time now..but keep backing away..

niklshah
12-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Buddy,
everyone loves their money....but think if nothing will change how much of your loved money you will spend every year to renew EAD and AP...just do the calculations and you will think that it is worth to part some of our loved money..

crystal
12-16-2007, 12:05 PM
you can contribute even small amounts with paypal account ..
payments directed towards ... donations@immigrationvoice.org

crazyAbtUS
12-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Buddy,
everyone loves their money....but think if nothing will change how much of your loved money you will spend every year to renew EAD and AP...just do the calculations and you will think that it is worth to part some of our loved money..

No offense Nik..but dude my company actually pays for it..so no loss..in renewing EAD..but unfortunatly my EAD is not yet approved..so I am not yet there.....SAD

crazyAbtUS
12-16-2007, 12:13 PM
you can contribute even small amounts with paypal account ..
payments directed towards ... donations@immigrationvoice.org

Great..crystal!... I did not know about this..thanks for the info..

See really ..my ignorence on this option ( of making smaller contribution using paypal- donations@immigrationvoice.org )... is probably why some of the guys I have spoken to at work have also not contributed yet..though they all visit and adhore the IV effort..

But here is the one that turns me off everytime I visit the contribute section of the IV site.. (" Note : If you previously signed up for $20 per month recurring contributions, you don't have to do anything, they will continue as $20 per month until you choose to cancel them. Beginning 5/17/2007, we only have 2 options for recurring payments : $50 per month and $100 per month.
")

wandmaker
12-16-2007, 12:27 PM
See really ..my ignorence on this option ( of making smaller contribution using paypal- donations@immigrationvoice.org )... is probably why some of the guys I have spoken to at work have also not contributed yet..though they all visit and adhore the IV effort..

Now you know how to contribute smaller amounts to IV - contribute the smaller denomination regularly or whenever possible and spread the word. So both IV and you can benefit from this. Thank you.

santb1975
12-16-2007, 12:49 PM
you can definately contribute less than 50$. Just login to paypal and send your contribution to donations at immigrationvoice.org and better yet team up with your colleagues and if 10 of you can contribute 10$ each that becomes a 100. We have had a few IV'ans do that.

Please remember IV is made up of people like you and me and IV will become what we want it to be. IV cannot function without contibutions from members like you and me as well. Every member in IV (including the Core team) has a Job, Career and a family. some IV'ans contribute money, some contribute time, some contribute both time and money and some do none. It is all about priorities.:)

Hello there,

I have been wanting to make an IV contribution for a long time and here is my problem..I probably can be labeled a miseror a magpie! ..Whenever I go to the IV link to contribute and see the $50 or $100 option I panic and get out..yes I do!
I have some desi colleagues and was discussing this issue with them at work..and they had the exact same experience..wow..I am not the only magpie..

But hey is'nt IV the one which is at the receiving end not getting our contributions..

I speak from my own experience and call me a mapie or a miser..or whatever..I cant make myself make a $50 or more contribution .. thats the way I am..But I can sure make a smaller contribution (like a monthly recurring $10 contribution which really is easier to make) and I am quite sure IV will benefit from my small contributions as well as i think a lot more people will not hesitate making contributions in smaller denominations than a whopper $50+

And really this is not related to IV effort but more to do with my own way of thinking about parting with my money..I love my money..:)...

My history - Made $0 contributions so far..and have been wanting to contribute for a long time now..but keep backing away..

paskal
12-16-2007, 01:26 PM
not personal, addressing many issues.

1. if your company pays for everything, why such reluctance to put up a few more dollars for your own cause? think of those that pay for everything themselves and still contribute.

2. each contribution to paypal costs, they take a chunk off it. making small 10 buck contribution is really not the intelligent way to go.

3. there used to be a 20/mnth recurring contribution. now it does no exist. what do you want? should we throw out the original 20 buck guys? of course they can continue doing it. i can't imagine why it would put you off? btw we did not really lose any money by going to a minimum of 50- you know why? those who were serious still contributed. others who were whining at that time (why is there not a 10/mnth option) were in many (though not all) cases not going to contribute anyway. this is just fyi.

4. what is 50 bucks a month? step back and think sometime. a family meal/movie? do you indulge yourself occasionally worth 50 bucks?
i think in many cases the answer is yes. the money we need for lobbying ie very large....it's hard to make it form 20 bucks at a time when barely 5% of the membership contributes.
you have the choice hereof donating 100 now and considering it as two 50 buck donations, so your next one will be delayed. there are various ways of looking at this.

there are various ways to contribute, money is just one of them- although very important. if you have not done this, join a state chapter and start meeting lawmakers in your area. get friends to join iv. put up fliers and posters in local grocery stores/fairs and festivals etc. there are many good examples of these activities being done successfully. in the end it's going to matter is whether we put enough effort to push over the line- whether it's today or in 2 years.

we all have a choice. please make a wise one.

nashorn
12-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Please tell your immigration attorney that you will not give him 6 thousand dollar fees but only give $10 because you love money
Please tell the restaurant you go to for lunches and dinner that you will not pay as per their bill of $50 for 2 people but will only pay $10 as you love your money
Please tell your wife that both of you will not eat for 5 days and save $100, because you love your money

If people do not value IV then IV is not the place for them. IV allowed everyone to file I485 in July and get EADs . You are able to get your EAD freedom because of IV and that is priceless.
You gave perfect examples here. Let's take a close look.

If you think the atterney fee worth $10, you wouln't hire an atterney asking for $6k. Samething with the restraunt check. Samething with IV contribution. If you think $100 is too high, you don't pay it. But if you think it worth $10 you simply ask for it, like everybody will do. Imagine a car saleman responds to his potential buyer's request to a lower price of a car with insulting remarks, he'll loose this customer and many more.

And IV ALLOWED everyone ...? You went too far, pal.

alterego
12-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone reading this thread who was able to file the 485 in the July/Aug window. These questions are particularly directed at you. I know some of them are rhetorical, but I want to provoke a little thought.

1) Do you consider this(having filed 485) to be a better situation for yourself and your family?

2) Do you consider that IV advocacy and lobbying, flower power, media attention etc played a large role in this reversal?

3) If instead of what happened, they had instituted a policy where you could file 485 while retrogressed if you pay a $1000 extra filing fee per petition. Would you not have done it?

4) If you answered yes to all the above questions, Can you find it in you to do the honorable thing and contribute something, to say thank you.

We had atleast 320K 485 filings, if just 10% of these people contributed something, anything at all, money would not be an issue. Why is this not happening? There should simply have been a better response to the request for donations. Forget about the other guy, you just do your part, even if you did not do it before you benefited, do it after you did. Do it because it is right. Do it because, the more you do the better your chance to get further. Remember nothing invested, nothing gained.

swamy
12-16-2007, 03:49 PM
i am just curious about the alternatives that people have to iv. i came up with ZERO. there couldnt be a greater intersection of interests and goals between potential eb-gcfilers and iv. other organizations are burdened with a much larger agenda with ours being a footnote mostly. & there are ZERO ACTIVE advocates for our cause, just a few journalists here & there along with editorial boards of papers like wsj & nyt that have little influence in this debate. teh corporate lobbyists do ask for more ebgc's and h1's but their timeframe to achieve it is very flexible - they can wait for the political tide to turn. how many iv guys are comfortable with such a timescale to achieve this?if we look at the anti's/bigots,as abhorrent as their goals are there's something to be learnt from the way they tap their supporters energy & $$. they have paid fulltime staff devoted entirely to churnin out 'academic' papers blaming everything on immigrants & they dont care if they have to abuse statistics or rewrite history on the way bcos no one cares or have time to question that. they have 'thinktanks' to 'think' exclusively about vilifying immigrants. they have tv hosts with audiences in the 100s of 1000s to demagogue relentlessly, moving/setting the parameters of the debate thats going to make things much much worse. so what are the ppl on the sidelines doing? anyone?

sammyb
12-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Hello there,

I feel bad about your health ... get well soon :) ...

And yes nothing come free in life and not even your GC even if your company pays for it ... by the way my company also pays all GC related expenses but still I am with IV ... just filing the application is not enough to get to GC ... in present situation we need a very strong advocacy group and IV is our only means ....

Hope you will soon realize the truth about your GC dream ....

ras
12-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes you said it right. See if IV can come up with some provision to encourage those who have expressed to shell out only few dollars. It doesn't look good critisizing those who have expressed their geniune feelings.

The question here is not asking the Poster to donate more but rather tell him the provisions to contribute less as well.
No two individuals are at the same thinking level. so his thoughts are that he can contribute less frequently if allowed. So let him know how he can do that. There may be many in the same boat like him.

For the sake of generating more funds, let IV act like collection agency and look at the member as a customer/defaulter(those fence sitters). Collection Agencies make all sorts of efforts and provisions to collect money from these people. Finally they end up some how getting the money paid. There could be a payment installments based on the capability, lesser or higher amount, reminders etc. I am not sure if this anology is good for IV or not. The ultimate goal is to generate funds with the willingness from the members...

You gave perfect examples here. Let's take a close look.

If you think the atterney fee worth $10, you wouln't hire an atterney asking for $6k. Samething with the restraunt check. Samething with IV contribution. If you think $100 is too high, you don't pay it. But if you think it worth $10 you simply ask for it, like everybody will do. Imagine a car saleman responds to his potential buyer's request to a lower price of a car with insulting remarks, he'll loose this customer and many more.

And IV ALLOWED everyone ...? You went too far, pal.

paskal
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
even though you personally have been told this numerous times.
sometimes the sign of "smartness" is to adapt arguments to presented facts not keep repeating yourself sir!

decreasing to 20/mth does NOT increase the number of contributors proportionately and make up for funds. there is a small increase but many 50/mth people also switch to the lower amount (why should i if other's don't?- see your own example- you could have continued 20/mth- your ego that the option was closed to new people made you switch of entirely)
also many of the 20/mth contributors only notionally join up, they cancel the payments soon enough. the net results is a very poor flow of funds. i don't know how much more explicitly i can explain this.

you have the option of paypal to contribute smaller amounts. but you want the convenience too...lots of take...little give.
today the total recurring contribution barely funds our basic needs let alone lobbying. the fact is that if people don't step up, we can all shut down and go home. then let's stew with 1/1/00 or 2001 dates and wonder if someone will help us in the altruistic mode. or maybe you can then step up and give 20/mth again at that point? :)
as you well know the motivation to proactively do something is not high in our community. everyone states their own reasons- the result however is poor participation. you are of course aware that members miss the rally because they were sightseeing in the DC area...

as for the guy with 0 contributions...you know rajesh...everyone starts like that...this guys has spent a long time like that...maybe too long...but that's his personal deal. he can give a lower amount by paypal...he just can't make himself give at all. whatever, i'm not passing judgements actually- i'm pointing out to you as one who has been around- that it does NOT deserve a promotion star. if giving nothing deserves it, you might as well not be here, we might all as well leave too. because there is no free lunch...or dont you know that by now?

it would be nice for a change to see a senior member like you take proactive initiatives and help with the real job of convincing congress to provide relief rather than spend time constantly quibbling over donation amounts and repeating ad nauseum how you stopped your 20/mnth contribution because the option was closed to new contributors...we know already...
frankly we could do with a different contribution for once.

btw thanks much to all those who contributed in the recent drive, your help is much appreciated by everyone. please consider a recurring contribution. i know that on the face of it 50 sounds a lot, but think about it as one family meal/movie given up in a month for a cause that's very important to you....

paskal
12-17-2007, 10:46 AM
we will wait for the paypal contributions in that amount....please go ahead and do it....and thanks!

walking_dude
12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
It's sad to see that IV core has to repeat the same stuff over and over again, to answer folks who never get tired of recycling their already answered questions !

I agree, this cycle of repeatition needs to be broken. IV Core please post this as a FAQ and post the link whenever this question is repeated ( RTFAQ - Read The FAQ).

IV Core did experiment with $20 contributions based on member feedback. Apparently that didn't work. $50 is apparently working better than $20, so IV is sticking to it. Members should use the energy spent on arguing with IV core to contributing to the cause instead.

I'm a monthly contributor as well as done onetime Google and PayPal contributions. Contributing onetime through PayPal isn't tough at all as it's made to sound here.

1) Login to PayPal
2) Click on Send Payment
3) Type in IV merchant id - donations@immigrationvoice.org. You need to do it only first time! Second time onwards it's available in a dropdown!
4) Type in the amount and comment to IV
5) Submit payment.
6) Done!

If it's so easy, who do some feel it so hard?! Real answer is some feel it real hard to part with their money for any cause besides their own instant gratification as someone honestly confessed.

Now this something IV cannot cure !

paskal
12-17-2007, 12:32 PM
"And please remember it's bottom up that works here not top-down."

so i guess then we can count on you to give up on this one little thing and help us constructively...? join the state chapter? help with lawmaker meetings and do the grassroots stuff?

i'm not in the least asking you to leave..i would really love to see you put you energies towards required actions...and we would all be richer and better for it! :)

at0474
12-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Hello there,

--Understand your situation very well. For a new comer, unless he/she is fully aware of what IV is about, what it has done, doing and going to do, it is very difficult to be convinced of 50 dollar monthly contributions.

I see one problem in allowing contribution with lesser denomination provision though; majority would sign up for the lesser amounts. I am not talking about casual onlookers. I am talking about serious potential contributors who are convinced of IV cause and ready to contribute. They could easily go for $50, but rather, a lesser contribution option would tempt them down! In essence, it would seem like the bar was set down.

All in all, we have to remember. IV is not supported by any 'no-nonimmigrant-left-behind' federal program.

If you cannot do recurring contributions, you can do it in one time payments.

GoGreen
12-17-2007, 12:45 PM
I have sold some items in eBay in the past, If I rememver correctly, when I sold something for $10 and the buyer made a paypal payment, paypal took $1.5 as fees.

So if you are making $20, only $17 goes to IV, IF the amount is >=50 I believe the fees is much lesser (like 5%) so more money goes to IV instead of making paypal rich.

nashorn
12-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I have sold some items in eBay in the past, If I rememver correctly, when I sold something for $10 and the buyer made a paypal payment, paypal too $1.5 as fees.

So if you are making $20, only $17 goes to IV, IF the amount is >=50 I believe the fees is much lesser (like 5%) so more money goes to IV instead of making paypal rich.
How about check? 100% goes to IV.

walking_dude
12-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Check/Bill-pay has been temporarily discontinued due to logistics reasons.

PayPal automates the payments. Checks/Billpay requires an IV volunteer (trusted by IV core) to take time off and physically collect these checks/echecks from the IV mailbox in NJ, and deposit them to the IV bank account. Someone has to spend time and effort into doing it !

How about check? 100% goes to IV.

grupak
12-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I have pledged on the funding drive thread to pay $20 monthly through paypal (I have also made one time contribution to the fund drive).

I am writing this to encourage others to send their monthly payment through paypal for amounts less than $50 if you want to. Monthly payments help plan things better for IV.

Question to the core, if you feel $20 per month through paypal is too much overhead for IV, I can collect my monthly payments and make onetime contributions instead. Its minimal effort for me either way, really.

nk2
12-17-2007, 01:45 PM
I signed up to for 20$ per month a while back. In addition I did many one time contributions.

There should be an option for people to contribute smaller sums on a regular basis. I believe in the say 'little drops of water ...'. If the threshold is lower, there will be more contributions.

In my opinion, the fear that folks that are contributing 50$ will switch to lower sums is unfounded. There is nothing that stops them from stopping their contributions altogether even now.

Secondly, I did not answer the poll. The question is not very clear to me

nashorn
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Check/Bill-pay has been temporarily discontinued due to logistics reasons.

PayPal automates the payments. Checks/Billpay requires an IV volunteer (trusted by IV core) to take time off and physically collect these checks/echecks from the IV mailbox in NJ, and deposit them to the IV bank account. Someone has to spend time and effort into doing it !
Are you saying IV can't find anyone IV trust to do this, or nobody in IV core thinks it is woth it to do some extra leg work? I don't think IV has the luxury of not doing the leg work. Every peny counts.

paskal
12-17-2007, 02:18 PM
In my opinion, the fear that folks that are contributing 50$ will switch to lower sums is unfounded. There is nothing that stops them from stopping their contributions altogether even now.

yes and people do stop...what do you think...the small minority just keeps contributing when they see others not lifting one finger?
and we are not speaking from "fear of what will happen" we are telling you from experience that people who can afford 50/mnth and are willing to do it are tempted to do 20 instead...and do it. why is that so hard to believe? is it not human? i think it is natural for many to think like that. we have 25,000 members, >90% don't do anything for iv. despite that you won't believe that people will contribute less if they can?

if members really want to contribute- use pay pal and give less. the option is there. why the argument over the set up that iv has made...when you have an alternative??? iv needs to send a signal on what we really need from you and we have done that. the rest is up to you...take a choice. just remember- pay pal takes a chunk every time you do small multiple amounts.

please focus energies elsewhere. this is a moot discussion. and btw your contributions are very welcome- thank you for helping us all in our movement to end retrogression...! you are setting a great example.

paskal
12-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you saying IV can't find anyone IV trust to do this, or nobody in IV core thinks it is woth it to do some extra leg work? I don't think IV has the luxury of not doing the leg work. Every peny counts.

buddy...iv core are not magicians, they have lives too. so please stop asking for more. when you say "iv has the luxury" hopefully you mean all 25,000 who make up iv. the core is not iv. they are just volunteers already breaking their backs...

there are good reasons for the temporary stops to the checks. everything need not be publicly anounced. please leave it at that.

and while we are at it...we need help with the leg work...please complete your profile so we can get you involved with some of it...it would be great to have you as a volunteer!

nashorn
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
buddy...iv core are not magicians, they have lives too. so please stop asking for more. when you say "iv has the luxury" hopefully you mean all 25,000 who make up iv. the core is not iv. they are just volunteers already breaking their backs...

there are good reasons for the temporary stops to the checks. everything need not be publicly anounced. please leave it at that.

and while we are at it...we need help with the leg work...please complete your profile so we can get you involved with some of it...it would be great to have you as a volunteer!
With all due respect, the probelem I have with volunteers is that I don't think amtures can pull a job this big, you've got to have profesionals, somethng like a compain maneger.

I admire the courage of your guys, and think the goal is fantastic. But the way it goes, I don't see how it can be achieved.

I've learned a great deal about immigration from the forum here. I very much appreciate it. I try to give back by answering questions others may have. I think IV has been doing a great job serving as that capacity.

But you guys want do something bigger. Well, you have faith in it, I don't, at least not now, neither many others. Maybe that is why you are still asking for money and volunteers.

new_gc
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
With all due respect, the probelem I have with volunteers is that I don't think amtures can pull a job this big, you've got to have profesionals, somethng like a compain maneger.

I admire the courage of your guys, and think the goal is fantastic. But the way it goes, I don't see how it can be achieved.

I've learned a great deal about immigration from the forum here. I very much appreciate it. I try to give back by answering questions others may have. I think IV has been doing a great job serving as that capacity.

But you guys want do something bigger. Well, you have faith in it, I don't, at least not now, neither many others. Maybe that is why you are still asking for money and volunteers.

hey there,

i am a silent reader of this forum. you have to agree that iv has given the opportunity to file i-485's...forget about how many has not filed or missed the window but they provided the opportunity...and if you don't want to contribute then simply don't do....stop underestimating them....they do something about it instead of allowing changes to happen by themselves...they try to make changes in every possible aspect...so please don't contribute if you don't want to and stop badmouthing them.

grupak
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM

IV was started by a few dedicated members, it has grown since then. It will continue to grow. As it grows and get more funding, IV can hire someone professional to do the things you say. However, you have to start somewhere. Can't expect to have paid professional managers first, before we even have the funding, and then look for funding to do the things it does.

And IV is more than a website. We want to build a strong grass roots movement by strengthening the state chapters. There is more than just lobbying that needs to be done.

As I was reading the posts, I was just thinking to myself that it will involve a lot of work to collect the checks, keep a record (even non-profits must maintain it for IRS I suppose) and deposit it. Most people in IV now are working professionals with a day job. The current system of electronic payment is best for now, in my opinion.

punjabi
12-17-2007, 03:14 PM
It's just a dinner price! If you ever go out on a good dinner with a family, it usually costs about $50. I am barely meeting my daily bills as of now, but I don't hesitate donating in the amount of $100 and I have done it 4 times so far in the recent past.

It still holds: "You get more than what you give to others for the good cause."

Happy Donations!!

Hello there,

paskal
12-17-2007, 03:48 PM

we have professional lobbyists. and they cost the erath.
and that is why we need contributions. as long people "don't believe" we don't succeed. it's up to you, it's your issue as much as mine. professionals cost a lot of money, and this thread is quibbling over 20 and 50 bucks. anyway who is the knight on the white horse coming to rescue us? it's just us buddy, and we have to do our best. i like your analytical thinking. we need you to join in and help. any number of volunteers is less imho...

grupak
12-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I believe congratulations are in order if I am not mistaken.

Congrats! nashorn for your approved EB1

Good luck.

dagabaaj
12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
we have professional lobbyists. and they cost the erath.
and that is why we need contributions. as long people "don't believe" we don't succeed. it's up to you, it's your issue as much as mine. professionals cost a lot of money, and this thread is quibbling over 20 and 50 bucks. anyway who is the knight on the white horse coming to rescue us? it's just us buddy, and we have to do our best. i like your analytical thinking. we need you to join in and help. any number of volunteers is less imho...

.....if ppl want to contribute lesser amounts all they need to do is find some like minded friends pooling their resources and making it into a big one time contribution. I have tried to convince some of guys I know over here but to no avail....less said the better...also tried using the charm of a good bottle of scotch to do the job...no good.....but we need to keep trying......bickering will not lead us anywhere....

paskal
12-17-2007, 04:22 PM
I believe congratulations are in order if I am not mistaken.

Congrats! nashorn for your approved EB1

Good luck.

if this true congratulations are in order!
it's great...enjoy it! :)

grupak
12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
if this true congratulations are in order!
it's great...enjoy it! :)

Just I-140, I think from nashorn's thread. Still its great news :)

As many have pointed out including I, there is a way to contribute smaller amount to IV if you want to.

WANT TO DONATE LESS THAN $100?

* Login to your paypal account and send your contribution to this email address: donations at immigrationvoice dot org

alterego
12-17-2007, 06:28 PM

Why the negativity?
What many people fail to see is that it is not IV core, or a manager or something that will get us out of this, it is OUR COLLECTIVE actions. The results will be directly proportional to what we put in.
Whether you help this effort in any way is about individual responsibility. If you are unwilling to do anything, and there are many ways to contribute and all and any of these are welcome, then frankly, your interest in this advocacy has to be questioned.