PDA

View Full Version : traveling out when AP is in process

plakshmi
07-10-2009, 03:01 PM
My daughter is travelling out to India in couple weeks and her current Ap is valid upto November 2009. She is thinking of staying there in India for atleast 6 months. Can I apply for her Ap renewal now before she leave to India? If AP gets approved after leaving to India, what will be status of current AP approval ? Will it still be valid until November 2009 so that she can come back prior Nov 2009 and then again leave to India with the new AP in a week. Please clarify.

plakshmi
07-15-2009, 03:59 PM
can any one pl. answer this

cdeneo
07-15-2009, 05:05 PM
This question has been asked several times on other threads and also to the lawyers devoting their time on this site.

In short, one can travel out of the country on AP but should return before AP's expiry date. One should not stay beyond the AP's expiry date that one has with them. One cannot apply for AP and travel out of the country while pending thinking that the new AP can be mailed to the applicant when out of the country.

As for status of old AP when a new AP application is approved when out of the country - I don't believe that should impact the old AP that has not expired but you would be better off posting this question to an immigration attorney to be sure before making any travel plans. I don't think you can apply for a new AP unless you are within 120 days of the current AP's expiry date.

I hope this helps some...

software7
07-15-2009, 05:36 PM
There are 2 opinions on this aspect.

1. Candidate should not travel while AP is pending
2. candidate can travel and come back to US while AP is approved whe he/she is in out of country.

I have realtime experience happened recently.

One of my friend went to India after applying AP. He has same doubts and contacted one the reputed attorney Dehaito Rao in Michigan. He even sent article in one of immigration web site which states that candidate can travel only if AP is approved. Attorney told him that is not a problem at all and told that he can come back safely which happened.

SO 99% there wont be any problem at all in this particular case. But need tp apply AP when candidate is physically in US.

a2006
07-16-2009, 02:31 AM
My daughter is travelling out to India in couple weeks and her current Ap is valid upto November 2009. She is thinking of staying there in India for atleast 6 months. Can I apply for her Ap renewal now before she leave to India? If AP gets approved after leaving to India, what will be status of current AP approval ? Will it still be valid until November 2009 so that she can come back prior Nov 2009 and then again leave to India with the new AP in a week. Please clarify.
Usually you are allowed to apply only 120 days before the expiry of the current AP

niklshah
07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
it is always safe to apply and go eventhough u may loose some months. mine is expiring on 18th october and i am planning to go in start of october, i applied on june 26th and it was approved already yesterday. I will loose some months on it but no big deal its peace of mind.

gc_check
07-16-2009, 09:35 AM

You can apply for AP renewal only 120 dayas prior to expiration of the current AP and also you have to be physically present in the country when you apply for AP ( usually the receipt date), and then you can travel out once the application is receipted.