PDA

View Full Version : How to buy a return ticket if you don't know how long visa can extend?

13miku
09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Hello, I'm brand new here and joined because a friend is coming from Taiwan to stay with my family and I. My family and I are all US citizens (if that helps/makes a difference...?).

Anyway, my friend got an "R B1/B2" visa (just for tourism) from the American Institute in Taiwan, but he said that the interviewer there didn't say how long he can stay here in the US. I asked if he stamped a date or something on his visa, but he said no; he said that he'll find out how long he can stay when he arrives in the US. I know almost nothing about visas, so I didn't know about this. My question is, how is he supposed to buy a return plane ticket? He wants to stay for 3-4 months, the longer the better, so he'd like to buy the return ticket for 4 months later, but if they tell him he can only stay for 3 months, then he'll have to change his ticket, which will cost a lot.

I don't know what to do. Or is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for the consideration,
13miku

shx
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Unfortunately, they tell you the length of the stay only after he lands here. For a tourist visa, they usually allow 6 months (that is the maximum). Age, risk of over stay, ability to find unauthorized employment, purpose of visit, etc, are all the determining factors in deciding the length of stay. However 3 to 4 months should not be a problem.

If he is given less than 4 months, then the only way is to pay extra money to reschedule the return ticket.

GC_1000Watt
09-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Hello, I'm brand new here and joined because a friend is coming from Taiwan to stay with my family and I. My family and I are all US citizens (if that helps/makes a difference...?).

Anyway, my friend got an "R B1/B2" visa (just for tourism) from the American Institute in Taiwan, but he said that the interviewer there didn't say how long he can stay here in the US. I asked if he stamped a date or something on his visa, but he said no; he said that he'll find out how long he can stay when he arrives in the US. I know almost nothing about visas, so I didn't know about this. My question is, how is he supposed to buy a return plane ticket? He wants to stay for 3-4 months, the longer the better, so he'd like to buy the return ticket for 4 months later, but if they tell him he can only stay for 3 months, then he'll have to change his ticket, which will cost a lot.

I don't know what to do. Or is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for the consideration,
13miku

There are some airways which allows one Free extension of return flight date. I am sure these airlines (korean Air etc) allows to postpone your return date without any charge, but I am not too sure if they will allow prepone of the same.
Things to remember here is there will be only 1 free change of departure date and the sooner is better in terms of asking to change the departure date. Otherwise you won't find any seats available if you plan to change the departure date with not much of days left to depart.
Call the airline toll free numbers to inquire.

13miku
09-28-2010, 06:31 PM
There are some airways which allows one Free extension of return flight date. I am sure these airlines (korean Air etc) allows to postpone your return date without any charge, but I am not too sure if they will allow prepone of the same.
Things to remember here is there will be only 1 free change of departure date and the sooner is better in terms of asking to change the departure date. Otherwise you won't find any seats available if you plan to change the departure date with not much of days left to depart.
Call the airline toll free numbers to inquire.

Thank you so much!! I have never heard of this before :) I will look to see which airlines allow this.

GC_1000Watt
09-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Thank you so much!! I have never heard of this before :) I will look to see which airlines allow this.

Try Korean Air/ Singapore airlines