PDA

View Full Version : Transit visa for Germany - weired situation

ohguy
09-27-2010, 05:32 PM
My GC has been approved but did not receive the cards in hand yet. I am going to travel soon in next couple of weeks to India. Assuming I don't get the cards in hand yet and if I get the temporary 551 stamp on my passport do I still need transit visa while traveling to India from USA through Germany?

Thank you...

sanju_dba
09-27-2010, 05:46 PM
reply from their embassy is pretty fast, try that!

sroyc
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I was in the same situation a few weeks back. They allowed me to travel with the I-551 stamp on my passport (without the need for a transit visa).

My GC has been approved but did not receive the cards in hand yet. I am going to travel soon in next couple of weeks to India. Assuming I don't get the cards in hand yet and if I get the temporary 551 stamp on my passport do I still need transit visa while traveling to India from USA through Germany?

Thank you...

eb3retro
09-27-2010, 08:43 PM
I thought that Germany does not require transit visa.. or Does it? I am planning to go through frankfurt in few weeks and I do not have H1 and will be using AP, would that be ok?

gcseeker2002
09-27-2010, 09:06 PM
I thought that Germany does not require transit visa.. or Does it? I am planning to go through frankfurt in few weeks and I do not have H1 and will be using AP, would that be ok?

I thought so too. I am also going through frankfurt in december on AP (still waiting for AP approval for almost 4 months)

hopelessGC
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I am also going through Germany using my AP. Do I still need a transit visa in this case?

ohguy
09-27-2010, 10:35 PM
sroyc..

It's good to hear that some one did travel with just 551 stamp. Was your 551 stamp valid for less than a year?

I was in the same situation a few weeks back. They allowed me to travel with the I-551 stamp on my passport (without the need for a transit visa).

ohguy
09-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions.

This is what it says for transit visa to Germany.

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html)

Website seems to suggest we don't need a transit visa if we are going back to India. As sanju_dba suggested its good to call them up.

Any one here traveled back and forth with just AP via Germany with out transit visa?

eb3retro
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM
i am looking for this info too..

Thanks all for your suggestions.

This is what it says for transit visa to Germany.

German Missions in the United States - Transit Visa Country List (http://www.germany.info/Vertretung/usa/en/04__Legal/02__Directory__Services/01__Visa/__Transit__Country__List__Visa.html)

Website seems to suggest we don't need a transit visa if we are going back to India. As sanju_dba suggested its good to call them up.

Any one here traveled back and forth with just AP via Germany with out transit visa?

sanju_dba
09-27-2010, 10:59 PM
For those who are not sure about Germany visa travelling with AP
please read this
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum76-travel-out-of-country-and-re-entry-during-after-485-filing/1474708-is-german-airport-transit-visa-required-for-travelling-through-frankfurt-with-ap.html

bottom line ..
you can take risk and travel.
or
need visa for travelling back ie india to usa via frankfurt.

German embassy in India will not issue a visa for us as we dont live there anymore.

After weighing all the pros and cons I am paying more on emirates and avoiding lufthansa.
I am travelling in 2 weeks now.
Wish you all the best !

reddymjm
09-27-2010, 11:22 PM

I remember reading that AP is fine to travel thru Germany.

Pagal
09-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Hello,

I assume you are flying via Frankfurt. If you are not changing the terminals in Frankfurt, then you won't leave the secure gates area...so there won't be a question of transit visa... I tend to agree with many who used AP to transit through FRA on their way back to US (Have used AP myself couple of times to board flights originating in Germany for US without any issue)... have a safe trip!

eb3retro
09-28-2010, 08:17 AM
thanks Pagal..

Hello,

I assume you are flying via Frankfurt. If you are not changing the terminals in Frankfurt, then you won't leave the secure gates area...so there won't be a question of transit visa... I tend to agree with many who used AP to transit through FRA on their way back to US (Have used AP myself couple of times to board flights originating in Germany for US without any issue)... have a safe trip!

NIW
09-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Guys,
Wipe all the prior rules and experiences of european transit including Germany off your memory.
The new rule is YOU NEED A TRANSIT VISA if you are transiting in any european airport (It doesn't matter whether or not you leave the transit area). I did all the research including arguments with German mission in chennai. There are no ifs and buts. A schengen visa is must for AP holders.
Mind you, you DO NOT need a visa if you are going to your home country but to return USA you need the schengen visa as AP is not a VISA to USA.

You still can get your schengen visa from a German mission in your home country whether you live there or you do not.

Its better to be safe than sorry on the day of your journey

sanju_dba
09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
You still can get your schengen visa from a German mission in your home country whether you live there or you do not.

all is well except the quoted.
if any one needs confirmation shoot an email to the german consulate office in chennai. donot take for granted what anyone says here.

eb3retro
09-28-2010, 11:03 AM
found this on ...not sure how much updated or latest it is..so take it with a pinch of grain..

http://www..com/visas/transit-visa-requirements.html

The7zen
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
"German embassy in India will not issue a visa for us as we dont live there anymore"

Thats incorrect , You CAN get a transit visa in German Embassy in India, my wife got her ATV in Chennai last month.

For those who are not sure about Germany visa travelling with AP
please read this
http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum76-travel-out-of-country-and-re-entry-during-after-485-filing/1474708-is-german-airport-transit-visa-required-for-travelling-through-frankfurt-with-ap.html

bottom line ..
you can take risk and travel.
or
need visa for travelling back ie india to usa via frankfurt.

German embassy in India will not issue a visa for us as we dont live there anymore.

After weighing all the pros and cons I am paying more on emirates and avoiding lufthansa.
I am travelling in 2 weeks now.
Wish you all the best !

sanju_dba
09-28-2010, 11:42 AM
"German embassy in India will not issue a visa for us as we dont live there anymore"

Thats incorrect , You CAN get a transit visa in German Embassy in India, my wife got her ATV in Chennai last month.

Thanks for this valuble update. No one on this forum gave update on this.
I was going by the reply given by the chennai consular office.

Iamin
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM
You do not need a transit visa for Frankfurt if you traveling back to US using your Advance Parole.
I traveled twice without any visa via Frankfurt, just showed them my Advance Parole.

sroyc
09-28-2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, it's validity period was less than 2 months. I had to explain to everyone that it was a temporary proof of permanent resident status since I had not received the physical cards yet but after that I didn't face any issues.

sroyc..

It's good to hear that some one did travel with just 551 stamp. Was your 551 stamp valid for less than a year?

NIW
09-28-2010, 01:09 PM
You do not need a transit visa for Frankfurt if you traveling back to US using your Advance Parole.
I traveled twice without any visa via Frankfurt, just showed them my Advance Parole.

These are the few responses that make the forums quite interesting! At the end, you are more baffled than ever.............
In this day and age of constant security alerts, the rules are changing while we are discussing on these very topics. So, I guess we need to do the fact checks and get all the right information, if possible with the proofs like embassy/consulate webpage prints and e-mails etc. before an international travel. And the most annoying thing is you get contradictory information from two different consulates of same country or VFS service center and the consulate. But at the end of the day, its you who is going to face those immigration folks at the airport. So extra caution should prevail over everything.
As of now, We do not need a transit visa to go to your home country(i.e. Country that issued your passport) and we do need a transit visa to go to the country where you are currently living i.e. USA with an AP.
And you can get your visa from the consulate/embassy of your home country as you still are the citizen of that country and your immigration status in USA is still temporary resident.

Hope this helps somebody....

NIW
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM

These are the few responses that make the forums quite interesting! At the end, you are more baffled than ever.............
In this day and age of constant security alerts, the rules are changing while we are discussing on these very topics. So, I guess we need to do the fact checks and get all the right information, if possible with the proofs like embassy/consulate webpage prints and e-mails etc. before an international travel. And the most annoying thing is you get contradictory information from two different consulates of same country or VFS service center and the consulate. But at the end of the day, its you who is going to face those immigration folks at the airport. So extra caution should prevail over everything.
As of now, We do not need a transit visa to go to your home country(i.e. Country that issued your passport) and we do need a transit visa to go to the country where you are currently living i.e. USA with an AP.
And you can get your visa from the consulate/embassy of your home country as you still are the citizen of that country and your immigration status in USA is still temporary resident.

NIW
09-28-2010, 01:11 PM

pool_abab
09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
You don't need a transit visa through Germany if you have advanced parole. I traveled through Frankfurt last month using AP, no transit visa was needed.

gcbikari
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Same here traveled in Nov 08 with only AP. Dont know if rules changed since then.

kprgroup
10-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Question:

My wife has AP & she is already in India.She is returning back Nov End.If Lufthansa need a Transit Visa @Frankfurt, Will Chennai Lufthansa inform you during your ticket check-in that ...You can't travel by AP?

or @Frankfurt?

If anyone has idea let me know

Thanks
KPR

rajalan@gmail.com
10-12-2010, 02:24 PM
all is well except the quoted.
if any one needs confirmation shoot an email to the german consulate office in chennai. donot take for granted what anyone says here.
You can get a transit visa in India even if you don't live there. I got it last month at Chennai.

pandu_hawaldar
10-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Question:

My wife has AP & she is already in India.She is returning back Nov End.If Lufthansa need a Transit Visa @Frankfurt, Will Chennai Lufthansa inform you during your ticket check-in that ...You can't travel by AP?

or @Frankfurt?

If anyone has idea let me know

Thanks
KPR

I just traveled back from India in Air India flight to Newark last Sunday. This flight stops at Frankfurt. I have AP only. I don't have Germany transit visa. No question asked in India or in Frankfurt. They just saw my AP and gave me transit pass (as they give it to everybody).

eb3retro
10-12-2010, 04:46 PM
I am going to be travelling to India during nov -december and back to US. I will be using only AP and I do not have a valid visa. I will take my chances on this instead of going for the stupid german visa. I even hate to transit through that country. If not for Lufthansa (which is also a lousy airline service), had to choose it since that is the only airline having a good connection, I would have only flown through Dubai or Qatar.

jax999
01-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Anybody Travelled with only Advance Payrole through Frankfurt recently please post ?

where they will check for transit visa in usa while boarding or in frankfurt or in india while return ?

My nationality is Indian. Presently i am residing in USA . I have " Advance Payrole Document " . I am planning to travel in this February 2011 from " Atlanta -> Frankfurt -> India(Hyderabad) " and return is in May 2011 from " India(Hyderabad) -> Frankfurt -> Atlanta " in lufthansa airways.

So shall i go for this round trip with a valid " Advance Payrole Document " only ? or i need to have " Air Transit Visa ? If i need Air transit Visa could you please let me know how to apply and what documents i need to submit .

please help already buyed tickets from lufthansa website. non refundable ticket. before that one time i cancelled ticket. airport transit visa shall we apply by post/mail ? in person cant go because very far totally 30 hors drive that too with infant driving not possible . please help ?

While pending i-485 if i applied for German airport transit visa is there any negative concerns because of that ?

Please reply soon . I really appriciate you . Thank You.

ak_manu
01-29-2011, 07:10 PM
You need to apply for Air transit Visa for Germany for both ways - going to india annd coming back using AP. You would need 2 transit visa entries in your passport - 1 while going and 1 while coming back.

There is a German consulate in Atlanta and it will take 2 days or sometimes may be same day to get transit visa. You can go in person to hand over docs and collect them back in person usually next day. You would need following documents -

1. EAD
2. AP
3. Passport
4. 2 Photos
5. Cash for visa or money order.
6. Itinerary
7. Application

German consulate web site lists several other documents but you wont need them as they are only required for tourist visa.

vhd999
01-29-2011, 08:38 PM
Not sure if you really need a transit visa for Germany if you have a valid Advance Parole.

No one actually experienced or posted here that they were stopped from travelling/trasnfering flights in Germany due to lack of the trasit visa.

Anyone, recetly travelled through Germany can please clarify this?

Thanks.

jax999
01-29-2011, 11:57 PM
You need to apply for Air transit Visa for Germany for both ways - going to india annd coming back using AP. You would need 2 transit visa entries in your passport - 1 while going and 1 while coming back.

There is a German consulate in Atlanta and it will take 2 days or sometimes may be same day to get transit visa. You can go in person to hand over docs and collect them back in person usually next day. You would need following documents -

1. EAD
2. AP
3. Passport
4. 2 Photos
5. Cash for visa or money order.
6. Itinerary
7. Application

German consulate web site lists several other documents but you wont need them as they are only required for tourist visa.

shall we send through mail as it is very far for us?
ead and copies or originals ?

please reply .thank you.

satyasaich
01-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Not sure if you really need a transit visa for Germany if you have a valid Advance Parole.

No one actually experienced or posted here that they were stopped from travelling/trasnfering flights in Germany due to lack of the trasit visa.

Anyone, receNtly travelled through Germany can please clarify this?

Thanks.

Yes, Transit visa "IS" required and there shall be no confusion nor any doubts.
I have called German consulate in Chicago last month & they have explained very politely and in a detailed manner

Unless we are GC holder or US citizen, transit visa is "required"

eb3retro
01-30-2011, 01:51 AM
hi, pls follow through my posts. i recently came bk from india through frankfurt in lufthansa. did not have no transit visa. no one even asked for it. i also called the consulate (german) and emailed them about it, they said i need it, but didn't bother to get it. its just that i did it on my own risk. i am not telling anyone to follow my method, i am just posting what i did here. either ways with only one bag situation, travelling in lufthansa is now a history for me. thats it..

Anyone, recetly travelled through Germany can please clarify this?

Thanks.

vhd999
01-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Thanks eb3retro.

I guess the trasit visa is required as per the consulate but not enforced. Very weird.

Our family is going to go to India through Germany without visa and let see what happens.
(The trip is starting in a few days and we are not going to bother to get the visa. )

hi, pls follow through my posts. i recently came bk from india through frankfurt in lufthansa. did not have no transit visa. no one even asked for it. i also called the consulate (german) and emailed them about it, they said i need it, but didn't bother to get it. its just that i did it on my own risk. i am not telling anyone to follow my method, i am just posting what i did here. either ways with only one bag situation, travelling in lufthansa is now a history for me. thats it..

gcseeker2002
01-30-2011, 08:08 AM

I went to India in 1st week of Dec and returned Jan 1st through Lufthansa(Frankfurt), and both ways, no transit visa was asked for or checked for either before boarding/check-in or in Frankfurt. On the way to India, they just make sure you have a Indian visa(or passport) and on way back, they just check if you have US visa(or AP). Don't worry too much, believe me, it is more of an embarrasment for Lufthansa ,in front of several hundreds of travellers, to deny boarding to someone without transit visa. If they do it, they know they would get free negative publicity that would erode their traveller base for years .

Edison99
01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
jax999,
If you are traveling with Advance Parole (AP) then transit visa is not required in Germany in round trip. I've traveled once like that...

Anybody Travelled with only Advance Payrole through Frankfurt recently please post ?

where they will check for transit visa in usa while boarding or in frankfurt or in india while return ?

My nationality is Indian. Presently i am residing in USA . I have " Advance Payrole Document " . I am planning to travel in this February 2011 from " Atlanta -> Frankfurt -> India(Hyderabad) " and return is in May 2011 from " India(Hyderabad) -> Frankfurt -> Atlanta " in lufthansa airways.

So shall i go for this round trip with a valid " Advance Payrole Document " only ? or i need to have " Air Transit Visa ? If i need Air transit Visa could you please let me know how to apply and what documents i need to submit .

please help already buyed tickets from lufthansa website. non refundable ticket. before that one time i cancelled ticket. airport transit visa shall we apply by post/mail ? in person cant go because very far totally 30 hors drive that too with infant driving not possible . please help ?

While pending i-485 if i applied for German airport transit visa is there any negative concerns because of that ?

Please reply soon . I really appriciate you . Thank You.