PDA

View Full Version : Approved I-140 - Not really happy with the job


arn
09-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Hey guys,

My first post here. I hope to continue to post here.

I have approved I-140 with priority date in mid 2008. Looks like it will be more than a year before my priority date will be current. Recently I got my H1B renewed for 3 more years beyond 6 years because of approved I-140.

Question is I am really underpaid. I can easily find new job that will pay me about 30% more than what I get paid here. Should I consider changing the job? I mean I have spent 4+ years here with low salary so should I suck it up and stay here until priority date becomes current or I should think about moving to better paying job and hope to use the same priority date ?

I know these decisions depend on lot of things but please let me know your best opinion.

Regards,

good idea
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Hey guys,

My first post here. I hope to continue to post here.

I have approved I-140 with priority date in mid 2008. Looks like it will be more than a year before my priority date will be current. Recently I got my H1B renewed for 3 more years beyond 6 years because of approved I-140.

Question is I am really underpaid. I can easily find new job that will pay me about 30% more than what I get paid here. Should I consider changing the job? I mean I have spent 4+ years here with low salary so should I suck it up and stay here until priority date becomes current or I should think about moving to better paying job and hope to use the same priority date ?

I know these decisions depend on lot of things but please let me know your best opinion.

Regards,

- Please fill detail in your profile
- I assumes that you are filled EB2 I, and as you said PD - Mid 2008;
if you fill all detail in your profile, and check / calculate approx. date for your GC on IV;
you may get exact expected date, which might be in next 1-2 years.
If I were you, I would wait for 1-2 years, why? If I start GC process with new employer and try to port my this PD, that will also take min. 2 years. Whom would I join (new emp.)?
- desi company - you would get similar package and lot of promises
- End client - 30% hike but bit uncertainty of losing job and hang in mid of GC process.
I am not pessimistic, but would not take this risk when it is matter of up to two years.
On top of that your 6 yrs. are finished, so any bad action from end client emp. can spoil hard work done.
As a friend, stay calm and try to enjoy progress of EB2.

If my thoughts are too pessimistic, then I am sorry, can't help, I am married have kid and can take only calculated risk.

good luck.

arn
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
- Please fill detail in your profile
- I assumes that you are filled EB2 I, and as you said PD - Mid 2008;
if you fill all detail in your profile, and check / calculate approx. date for your GC on IV;
you may get exact expected date, which might be in next 1-2 years.
If I were you, I would wait for 1-2 years, why? If I start GC process with new employer and try to port my this PD, that will also take min. 2 years. Whom would I join (new emp.)?
- desi company - you would get similar package and lot of promises
- End client - 30% hike but bit uncertainty of losing job and hang in mid of GC process.
I am not pessimistic, but would not take this risk when it is matter of up to two years.
On top of that your 6 yrs. are finished, so any bad action from end client emp. can spoil hard work done.
As a friend, stay calm and try to enjoy progress of EB2.

If my thoughts are too pessimistic, then I am sorry, can't help, I am married have kid and can take only calculated risk.

good luck.

Thanks a lot for quick reply. I will update my profile when I get home. Yes it is EB2.

You are right, I won't have a job security at new job but then same could be said for my current employer. I work for small company (non-desi) and we are definitely hurting economically. Not sure if we will last that long before next wave of layoffs. We have had couple but I was lucky in those.

So there is no security here for sure but I guess people here know me and they like my work which helps. I agree though, just for couple of years, I shouldn't put my GC process at risk.

Same here, just had a son and that is why I was wondering about higher salary. Wife is on H4 and can't work and that really sucks. If I want to change job then I can definitely find a job in big company. I haven't been looking but have been getting calls from linkedin.

Thanks a lot, I guess I will stay put for a while.

saileshdude
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I would stay back and wait it out. DOL, USCIS and DOS are 3 seperate orgs and each of them change procedures. Sometimes DOL gives you audit, USCIS issues RFE and DOS plays with the bulletin. In your case, a bird in hand is worth 2 in bush if you are really interested in getting GC. If you don;t care about GC then go ahead and change the jobs but remember things change a lot so you may or may not be able to smoothly get LC and I-140 approved from new company. So if you care abt GC then don;t do it.




Hey guys,



My first post here. I hope to continue to post here.

I have approved I-140 with priority date in mid 2008. Looks like it will be more than a year before my priority date will be current. Recently I got my H1B renewed for 3 more years beyond 6 years because of approved I-140.

Question is I am really underpaid. I can easily find new job that will pay me about 30% more than what I get paid here. Should I consider changing the job? I mean I have spent 4+ years here with low salary so should I suck it up and stay here until priority date becomes current or I should think about moving to better paying job and hope to use the same priority date ?

I know these decisions depend on lot of things but please let me know your best opinion.

Regards,

thomachan72
09-07-2010, 03:22 PM
- Please fill detail in your profile
- I assumes that you are filled EB2 I, and as you said PD - Mid 2008;
if you fill all detail in your profile, and check / calculate approx. date for your GC on IV;
you may get exact expected date, which might be in next 1-2 years.
If I were you, I would wait for 1-2 years, why? If I start GC process with new employer and try to port my this PD, that will also take min. 2 years. Whom would I join (new emp.)?
- desi company - you would get similar package and lot of promises
- End client - 30% hike but bit uncertainty of losing job and hang in mid of GC process.
I am not pessimistic, but would not take this risk when it is matter of up to two years.
On top of that your 6 yrs. are finished, so any bad action from end client emp. can spoil hard work done.
As a friend, stay calm and try to enjoy progress of EB2.

If my thoughts are too pessimistic, then I am sorry, can't help, I am married have kid and can take only calculated risk.

good luck.
I agree with the thought provided above. If you move to a new job you still have to start the process with labor certification. What is the gurantee that there will not be any other applicants? Once you clear the labor I think you can port the old date? again I am not sure about that either. On the other hand if you feel that you can easily find a job without any such issues and get a new labor approved then it might be ok. It is difficult to provide suggestions without knowing your trade.

arn
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
I agree with the thought provided above. If you move to a new job you still have to start the process with labor certification. What is the gurantee that there will not be any other applicants? Once you clear the labor I think you can port the old date? again I am not sure about that either. On the other hand if you feel that you can easily find a job without any such issues and get a new labor approved then it might be ok. It is difficult to provide suggestions without knowing your trade.

I am not sure labor approval will be easy. Luckily my current project is unique and because of that I am getting calls. There is whole new interest in that direction and I am one of only handful of people working on it. So I will still be able get a better job once I get my GC. I am sure I can suck it up for two more years. After all I am in this great situation because of my current employer.

good idea
09-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Thanks a lot for quick reply. I will update my profile when I get home. Yes it is EB2.

You are right, I won't have a job security at new job but then same could be said for my current employer. I work for small company (non-desi) and we are definitely hurting economically. Not sure if we will last that long before next wave of layoffs. We have had couple but I was lucky in those.

So there is no security here for sure but I guess people here know me and they like my work which helps. I agree though, just for couple of years, I shouldn't put my GC process at risk.

Same here, just had a son and that is why I was wondering about higher salary. Wife is on H4 and can't work and that really sucks. If I want to change job then I can definitely find a job in big company. I haven't been looking but have been getting calls from linkedin.

Thanks a lot, I guess I will stay put for a while.

-If you join big company, they might not start your GC process till first 6 months, most HR says same, then another 2 years of filling & porting.
-As you said your current company is not doing good & your position is on small risk; I would suggest to start filtering desi consulting company and present your-self as that you are keen to join, analysis who is offering better benefits & you can join without paying H1 transfer fee (you may need to deposit money but they promise to return that); but some ask to pay you H1 transfer fee, so try to find out suitable desi company and be in touch with them (be friendly).
-Stay in current company, and port to above filtered desi company, if you get pink slip.

there might be better options/planing but I can not think of those at the moment, would like to share if I can think about some.

good luck bro.

good idea
09-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I am not sure labor approval will be easy. Luckily my current project is unique and because of that I am getting calls. There is whole new interest in that direction and I am one of only handful of people working on it. So I will still be able get a better job once I get my GC. I am sure I can suck it up for two more years. After all I am in this great situation because of my current employer.
star meditation.... I am not being funny... instead of getting frustrated.... spend some time alone... write all options on paper... then decide yourself... once you are decided and need any help... post your question... and act ... you will get your aim...
good luck...

arn
09-07-2010, 03:40 PM
-If you join big company, they might not start your GC process till first 6 months, most HR says same, then another 2 years of filling & porting.
-As you said your current company is not doing good & your position is on small risk; I would suggest to start filtering desi consulting company and present your-self as that you are keen to join, analysis who is offering better benefits & you can join without paying H1 transfer fee (you may need to deposit money but they promise to return that); but some ask to pay you H1 transfer fee, so try to find out suitable desi company and be in touch with them (be friendly).
-Stay in current company, and port to above filtered desi company, if you get pink slip.

there might be better options/planing but I can not think of those at the moment, would like to share if I can think about some.

good luck bro.

That's a great idea. Keep something on side in case I lose my job. Will try to do that. Thanks a lot. Only problem is I am in biotech world. Do these consulting companies higher biotech people ? I thought they are mostly IT related.

Please let me know if there are.

Thanks a lot,

arn
09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
star meditation.... I am not being funny... instead of getting frustrated.... spend some time alone... write all options on paper... then decide yourself... once you are decided and need any help... post your question... and act ... you will get your aim...
good luck...

I am sorry if I offended you. Didn't mean to at all. Just low salary compared to my project and work is really frustrating. But because of current economy, company is not willing to adjust the salary. Calls from other employers for job are also frustrating because I know they want me and will pay me lot more. But GC is too close to do anything stupid.

After all the replies, I think I am going to stay put here until I file 485. Moreover I will try to find consulting agencies like you suggested in case something bad happens.

Thanks a lot for all replies.

good idea
09-07-2010, 03:46 PM
That's a great idea. Keep something on side in case I lose my job. Will try to do that. Thanks a lot. Only problem is I am in biotech world. Do these consulting companies higher biotech people ? I thought they are mostly IT related.

Please let me know if there are.

Thanks a lot,

I was writing desi company with a thought that you are in IT world.... oops...
But I believe in biotech also, rules are same to be on safe side... but bit tough as you have commutatively less choice... you might be having better idea about how to be in touch with biotech companies....
good luck.

good idea
09-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I am sorry if I offended you. Didn't mean to at all. Just low salary compared to my project and work is really frustrating. But because of current economy, company is not willing to adjust the salary. Calls from other employers for job are also frustrating because I know they want me and will pay me lot more. But GC is too close to do anything stupid.

After all the replies, I think I am going to stay put here until I file 485. Moreover I will try to find consulting agencies like you suggested in case something bad happens.

Thanks a lot for all replies.

Not at all... I can understand your position... I have faced similar situation... and was sharing how did I come out of such thoughts.... I know my options.... so I am relax with low salary....
FYI... if my client is paying $100 a year I am getting just $40 a year.... there are two layers who are sucking $55 their part + $5 for my family medical......
You did not offended... I was writing without formalities....
good luck....