PDA

View Full Version : Document retention

cooler
08-30-2010, 10:23 AM
After a long journey on several non immigrant visa's my GC finally got approved. The questions that I would like to throw out for the group to think on is regarding the period for which one has to keep all the H1/H4 approval notices and supporting documents?

In my case, I have been here for 10 years and have a 15 pound folder that has all the approval notices (I-797) and supporting documents (copies of I-129, transcripts, everything under the sun)

I would hate to have to carry this for the rest of my life.

Lawyers - Your legal opinion would provide relief to my aching shoulders :)

frostrated
08-30-2010, 10:55 AM
After a long journey on several non immigrant visa's my GC finally got approved. The questions that I would like to throw out for the group to think on is regarding the period for which one has to keep all the H1/H4 approval notices and supporting documents?

In my case, I have been here for 10 years and have a 15 pound folder that has all the approval notices (I-797) and supporting documents (copies of I-129, transcripts, everything under the sun)

you will need to keep them until you are naturalized. scan them and keep digital copies in a handy location, while you store these originals somewhere in the basement.

punjabi
08-30-2010, 04:16 PM
When I will get my GC approved, I will scan all the documents into soft copies and shred them later (except the originals).