PDA

View Full Version : got GC but my family is still there..PL HELP with my options

reddyram
08-18-2010, 11:30 PM
as I am aware and correct me if I am wrong ...if I am GC Holder.....then if I want to call my wife who was in India...it takes 5-7 years with the current waiting. If she comes here On her own - e.g. F1 Visa then we register a marriage in USA and she is my spouse there ....then can I adjust status with her as wife ? and can SHE get GC.
Also what if I become a Federal or US Defense contractor..can I apply for US Citizenship soon? How SOON can I get US CItizenship, working as a defense contractor.

reddyram
08-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks Nathan-ji . I guess I am all too confused and got you confused too. ..just worried abt too many things.....

Ok my Q is ... since I am gc holder , and thanks to the contorted laws, it v difficult to bring your wife here . Ok what if I marry a person on immigrant status in US ? e.g. a person on F1 visa .. assuming current PD ..does she too get a GC or she cannot adjust status for like 5-7 years ...as is applicable to people who are OUTSIDE USA .

furiouspride
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Man o man, are you confused or what? Reddy garu, only Ram can save you :D Are you married or are you single? If you're married, is your wife in India or US? If she is in the US, is she on some other status like F1, H1? Please define your problem correctly. Also, why are you mixing the whole defense contract crap in this question? Please keep them separate for now :D

reddyram
08-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I am divorced and considering marriage to an F1 visa holder ?

furiouspride
08-19-2010, 12:11 AM
I am divorced and considering marriage to an F1 visa holder ?
For your case, you are looking at FB-2A category which stands at Jan 2010 as of now. If you marry someone who is already here on another visa, the wait should seem minimal. Even if that person is outside of the US, the wait should be no more than a year to 18 months. Not bad at all I would say. Again, consult an attorney before you take any step. It costs a couple hundred dollars but its worth it.

reddyram
08-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Furious Thanks for not getting furious over my muddled understanding of gc complexities for I just got gc and am figuring out what I should be doing in future to get my fam . There is no life without fam as you might agree.
My understanding was if ur PR ( == GC Holder right ? ) then spouse of PR Outside US is 5-7years line....and ur saying 18 months..?
What if the spouse in in US as wd be the case if I married someone on F1 -if PD is current how long that is taking ...
Any website where I Can confirm those times..?

snathan
08-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Furious Thanks for not getting furious over my muddled understanding of gc complexities for I just got gc and am figuring out what I should be doing in future to get my fam . There is no life without fam as you might agree.
My understanding was if ur PR ( == GC Holder right ? ) then spouse of PR Outside US is 5-7years line....and ur saying 18 months..?
What if the spouse in in US as wd be the case if I married someone on F1 -if PD is current how long that is taking ...
Any website where I Can confirm those times..?

Man...go to the visa bulletin website and see the current date for Spouse of GC holder. Its six month back log now.

Visa Bulletin for September 2010 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5113.html)

If you marry someone on F1, you need to file I-130 ( am not sure, check this) and wait for PD. once PD become current file for I-485.

furiouspride
08-19-2010, 01:06 AM
Man...go to the visa bulletin website and see the current date for Spouse of GC holder. Its six month back log now.

Visa Bulletin for September 2010 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_5113.html)

If you marry someone on F1, you need to file I-130 ( am not sure, check this) and wait for PD. once PD become current file for I-485.
is my estimate of 18 months reasonable then snathan? if his wife is eligible for 485 in the next year or so (provided I130 clears with no hiccups), she should be greened within 2 years?

ramreddy
08-19-2010, 02:23 AM
My PD is current . I believe that is my labor cert date. in 2005. So whatever time is tolled is for waiting on I-130 or I-485 ?. Can I file both @ the same time.

immiusa
08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Is reddyram and ramreddy single user? I think people are more confused with your case.

if you want right suggestion, you got to explain your status and situation correctly.

Are you green card holder as of today? if not, did you file I485 for you?
if you are GC holder as of today, then furiouspride and snathan inputs are very good for you
if not, you got to specify, your current status in detail and your expected marriage date?