PDA

View Full Version : Travel India Passport Expiring - Urgent

askreddy
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi

We are Indian Nationals with Indian passports.

My daughter's passport is expiring on 10th Oct. We are planning to travel to india on 21st Aug.We are planning to renew passport in India.

Is the equirement is that the passport is valid on the day of travel is sufficient. Or is there any rule that it should be valid for 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Sree

saarejahanseaccha
08-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Hi

We are Indian Nationals with Indian passports.

My daughter's passport is expiring on 10th Oct. We are planning to travel to india on 21st Aug.We are planning to renew passport in India.

Is the equirement is that the passport is valid on the day of travel is sufficient. Or is there any rule that it should be valid for 6 months.

Thanks in advance.

Sree

It shouldn't be a problem to enter India..but you will need to have the passport renewed before you can enter in US again. Depending on where you live and how far the nearest Indian embassy is..it may be a good option to go there and renew it before your travel.

askreddy
08-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Thank You.

Any recent experiences?

Sree

vishwak
08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Inorder to come back to US you need to have valid Passport.

If you are going to have VISA stamping then they might look for 6 months+ validity.

saarejahanseaccha
08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Thank You.

Any recent experiences?

Sree

Got my passport renewed at Chicago by mail in a week. Yes, if you go to India, before you can get the new visa stamped, you will need a new passport valid for more than 6 months. Hope it helps, enjoy your trip.

nousername
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
End of July I went to Indian Consulate in San Francisco for renewing my passport. I haven't received it yet but was told that I will get it back in 15-20 business days.

The experience at the Consulate was fine.. People at the counter were helpful. 2.5 hours of time is required at the consulate.

I have heard from relative that getting passport renewed in India is a nightmare. Long lines with no straight forward procedures. This was at Delhi passport office.

As many people said it is better to get it renewed in the US. BTW, at the Consulate they offer expedite service as well i.e. if you have a genuine problem.

Have a safe trip.
Thank You.

Any recent experiences?

Sree

sunnymit
08-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Thank You.

Any recent experiences?

Sree

My wife just lost her passport and applied for a new one at the NY consulate. The time they give out for a new passport in lieu of a stolen one is about 30 days. I requested them to process it urgently and they did! We had the passport handed to us on the 2nd day. Remember, this was the case of a lost passport which is more complex than just renewing an existing one. Just go to the consulate in person though and show them your urgency - in your case, your need to travel to India should be a good enough proof

askreddy
08-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi

Thank You all.

But is there any rule that it should be valid for 6 months even if you want to travel to India.

Thanks
Sree

sunnymit
08-10-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi

Thank You all.

But is there any rule that it should be valid for 6 months even if you want to travel to India.

Thanks
Sree

There is a 6 months PP validity rule if you are applying for a new Visa. I am not aware of any other rules around this issue. However, do you think its worth taking a chance?

askreddy
08-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi

Can we walkin to SFO consulate for renewal of passport under tatkal scheme.

Sree