PDA

View Full Version : Cannot drive outside SC for up to 60 days!

brasil
07-29-2010, 08:20 PM
I’m a legal immigrant, I140 approved and on EB3 waiting list, priority date 04/2006. I need to renew my valid SC driver's license that will expire on 08/15/2010. Went to SC DMV today and they confiscated my valid SC drivers license card, issued a sheet of paper (Letter size) with letter head "Temporary driver's license card" without photo on it. This "document" is only valid in SC. This means that I cannot travel outside SC and May take up to 60 days to re-issue my SC DL card. I'm a professional electronic engineer and my work requires to travel outside the SC state. Why do I need to be punished? Just because I am a foreigner! This is an interesting story where the SC and other states illegal Immigration Reform Act is affecting legal immigrants very badly. Is all about illegal immigrants or there is a growing xenophobia in the USA? If you are a foreigner but legally in this country you are consider guilty until proven innocent? Or all immigrants are consider illegal?

gc_kaavaali
07-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Please contact your local senator and explain your problem. Probably he/she can help you.

I’m a legal immigrant, I140 approved and on EB3 waiting list, priority date 04/2006. I need to renew my valid SC driver's license that will expire on 08/15/2010. Went to SC DMV today and they confiscated my valid SC drivers license card, issued a sheet of paper (Letter size) with letter head "Temporary driver's license card" witho no photo on it. This "document" is only valid in SC. May take up to 60 days to re-issue my SC DL card. I'm a professional electronic engineer and my work requires to travel outside the SC state. Why do I need to be punished? Just because I am a foreigner! This is an interesting story where the SC and other states illegal Immigration Reform Act is affecting legal immigrants very badly. Is all about illegal immigrants or there is a growing xenophobia in the USA? If you are a foreigner but legally in this country you are consider guilty until proven innocent? Or all immigrants are consider illegal?

newuser
07-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Quoting what reason did the DMV confiscated your driver's license?

lfadgyas
07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
It is interesting – I moved from AL to SC a 1.5 year ago – needed a new ID, so I went there and they did this too – but only for the first time (they gave me that paper thing). Few weeks after this I changed my address so I had to renew it again– it was instantaneous;- they took the photo within 10 min I had my new ID – they said I’m in the system so no problems …have a nice day.
By the way – with that paper ID I travelled back to AL, to NC several times - I kept a copy from the old AL driver license (so what? – I can show my old international driver license :D – wondering what a local policeman would do with that …, otherwise I’m legally here, sorry )

brasil
07-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Quoting what reason did the DMV confiscated your driver's license?
Standard procedure and license was about to expire.
This does not apply for address change if the expiration date is long...

jazzyjatt
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Brasil,

I think after reading your case, it is just a standard operating procedure. Not sure why you thought of it as being punished unless some dmv official behaved unprofessionally or rudely with you . I suggest you wait for sometime and you will definitely get your license renewed back.

All the best :)

brasil
07-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Brasil,

I think after reading your case, it is just a standard operating procedure. Not sure why you thought of it as being punished unless some dmv official behaved unprofessionally or rudely with you . I suggest you wait for sometime and you will definitely get your license renewed back.

All the best :)
Getting the driver's license is not the problem, I know it will come. Problem here is why I cannot drive outside SC for up to 60 days waiting for the DL card? Remember I've to surrender my old SC license. This is serious limitation to my work, e.g. I need to go to Atlanta on 08/19 and I cannot drive there.

In September I will go to Italy, what if I don’t get my DL till then?

And you say “Not sure why you thought of it as being punished”

This is ridiculous

jazzyjatt
07-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Getting the driver's license is not the problem, I know it will come. Problem here is why I cannot drive outside SC for up to 60 days waiting for the DL card? Remember I've to surrender my old SC license. This is serious limitation to my work, e.g. I need to go to Atlanta on 08/19 and I cannot drive there.

This is ridiculous

On Checking the SC dmv site and it is interesting to note that non-citizens are not allowed to renew their license online. I guess this is the result of illegal immigration reform thing which is now a part of so many states along with SC. And I think they are running background checks against the legal status of any non-citizen folks. My take would be that you should consider meeting the senator and explaining the issue. They can basically expedite the process so that you wont have to wait for a long time.

bidhanc
07-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Brasil,

You should contact your local Congressman and Senator ASAP.

Seeing that you are a legal immigrant paying taxes and being put thru obstacles, they should surely be willing to help you out.

This is ridiculous