PDA

View Full Version : Career Shift. Impact on GC

CareerHit
07-22-2010, 03:02 AM
Hi
I started off in a small role in Dev and am on EB3 .. Priority Date Dec 2002.
In the last 8 years ... I've totally moved out of dev and am a Senior Manager in Product Marketing.

Do you know anyone in a similar situation like this who got an inquiry from USCIS and still got the GC?
My new job matches my old job .. just 10%.

Advice and inputs would be good.
Thanks
Tejal

GCNeophyte
07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
you might want to look at here.. they discussed something similar to your situation

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum5-all-other-green-card-issues/15602-what-happens-if-we-get-a-promotion-in-job.html

and

Q. Can I receive a promotion, extraordinary increase in salary or change in job location during the pendency of a labor certification based green card?
A. That is not advisable. A promotion or change in job description during the pendency of a green card can jeopardize the green card process. The GC process is for a specific job, at a specific location, at a specific salary.

Ref: Promotion during the green card process through PERM - Blogs - ImmigrationPortal Forums (http://forums.immigration.com/entry.php?60-Promotion-during-the-green-card-process-through-PERM)

smisachu
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately this is true. I was advised by my attorney not to take any promotions that significantly alters my job duty. So I have been passed over for promotions and I did not make many good career moves because of this damn delay in GC.

Its been F*&^%*g frustrating. :mad:

furiouspride
07-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Over the years, I have learnt that you can only pick one out of the two: Career or Immigration. I picked Immigration; just wished someone had taught me that sooner instead of me experiencing it first-hand :)

rajje
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Over the years, I have learnt that you can only pick one out of the two: Career or Immigration. I picked Immigration; just wished someone had taught me that sooner instead of me experiencing it first-hand :)

I focused on my career and I am now an IT manager. But because of the labor market, I am struggling with the GC process. I should have my Canadian PR soon - maybe that's where I will end up.

saturnring11
07-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I made a similar career change (although I went to Product Management instead of Marketing)-

Went from Software Engineer (EB2) to Sr Software Engineer to Staff Software Engineer to Software Project Manager. From there I jumped into internet Product Management and went from Sr. Manager to Director of Product at a tech start-up in my current role.

At each stage, I consulted both the company lawyer and an independent attorney about the applicability of AC-21 in my situation. Both lawyers agreed that Product Management and Software Engineering are closely allied and that as long as I added duties onto the base duties I had in my labor, I would be fine. I have been extra careful to only accept positions where I would still have the ability to do a bit of software engineering in addition to my Product Management responsibilities - this is particularly possible in a start-up environment.

Add the duties listed in your existing labor to your core duties and you should be fine with AC21 - but check with a lawyer first.