PDA

View Full Version : making english appointment and asking for a translator at new delhi consulate

billu
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
i have been looking for hindi language appointment for my in-laws at new delhi consulate since more than a month now. have spent many sleepless nights but no luck till now.I am thinking of taking an english appt and then letting my in-laws ask for a hindi translator at the time of appointment. they are from a small village and not able to converse in english. has anyone else had this kind of experience (taking english appt and asking for a translator at the time of appt. at new delhi)-pls guide as i am tired of looking for hindi dates-seems like its a never ending search!

ranand00
07-19-2010, 12:27 AM
hey
even me and my wife have spent numerous sleepless nights for appointments but no luck.
i would avoid taking appt in eng and asking for a translator
all the best
anand

mchatrvd
07-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Guys
I think IV is ready to take this case with Dept of State. Please raise your voice at the other thread alive right now. Pappu is saying that if couple of people can support they are ready to talk to officials about this.

billu
07-19-2010, 01:42 PM
please dont ignore this topic even after you book a date. there are other people suffering out there and there will be many more and even you again in future.... (atleast those on h1b).......please guys let us make a difference.

austingc
07-19-2010, 04:40 PM
i have been looking for hindi language appointment for my in-laws at new delhi consulate since more than a month now. have spent many sleepless nights but no luck till now.I am thinking of taking an english appt and then letting my in-laws ask for a hindi translator at the time of appointment. they are from a small village and not able to converse in english. has anyone else had this kind of experience (taking english appt and asking for a translator at the time of appt. at new delhi)-pls guide as i am tired of looking for hindi dates-seems like its a never ending search!
Billu, don't do that mistake. If they are lucky then they will get in if not then the consulate will simply cancel their appointment and ask them to reapply again. In that case, they will have to pay for the visa fees all over again and go through the entire process. I think you should take this issue to your local congressman and the senator. That is the best solution and I do not think IV will do anything for this since this is completely an administration issue with the Delhi Consulate. Summer time and too many people are applying for the visa and less staffs at the consulate too.

So do not select English and ask for a translator.

whattodo21
07-20-2010, 09:30 AM
i think austingc is right. Taking an english appointment and then asking for a hindi translator will not be wise. Too many scenarios work against you - and if the appt is cancelled and asked to reapply, not only will you loose the money, you will add many more sleepless nights.

Not sure how your local rep or senator can help since it is Delhi consulate problem, but try contacting them and see if they can be of help.

How long does it generally take to get a hindi appointment?

gcsim
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
It takes forever to get hindi app., even I had to opt for english app. for my in-laws. Just waiting with my fingers crossed.

billu
07-22-2010, 07:56 AM
It takes forever to get hindi app., even I had to opt for english app. for my in-laws. Just waiting with my fingers crossed.

ya i have been looking since june 15. but seems like it takes 3-4 months to get a hindi appointment. either that or you got to be extremely lucky or sitting in front of computer 24 hrs a day!!

kak1978
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Guys
I think IV is ready to take this case with Dept of State. Please raise your voice at the other thread alive right now. Pappu is saying that if couple of people can support they are ready to talk to officials about this.
Help him with his query if you can, else just ignore. Everyone here is a non-immigrant till we get our GC. His was a valid LEGAL non-immigrant question. I know you are frustrated with your GC processing, but don't show in on some random person.

voicerj
07-22-2010, 09:44 AM
We have recently done this thing at New delhi consulate. Took the appointment for English for my parents-in-law and when inside requested one of the girls managing inside for Hindi translation but she said when you go to the window just say that you want to answer in Hindi and the officer will talk to you in hindi and the same thing happened. Officer did ask the questions in hindi. This is our experience not sure if this goes with everybody.

billu
07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
ya i spoke to another friend of mine whose parents went for english interview at new delhi. without any request, the american officer asked them questions in hindi, which made them very comfortable. so, i think anyone wanting a hindi appointment and been waiting for 1-2 months can try the option of englsih. i will post my experience next week after my in-laws' interview in english.

ranand00
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM
Finally frustrated, I too took an appointment in english for my parents
Will let you know how the interview goes in 3 weeks
thanks

LondonTown
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
We have recently done this thing at New delhi consulate. Took the appointment for English for my parents-in-law and when inside requested one of the girls managing inside for Hindi translation but she said when you go to the window just say that you want to answer in Hindi and the officer will talk to you in hindi and the same thing happened. Officer did ask the questions in hindi. This is our experience not sure if this goes with everybody.

Same thing happened to my parent and the officer asked the questions in hindi.

billu
07-27-2010, 08:13 PM
thanks guys for all the info.

i had a tough time getting appointment for my in-laws for visitor visa in delhi in hindi language. After looking for more than a month regularly from 6pm to 1am central time every night (every 5 mins) and from 5am to 8am central time every morning, when I did not find a single open slot for hindi, i took english language appointment finally last week on wednesday at 8.30pm central time. dates were available for july 28,29 and 30. since then i have been tracking dates for english appointment and i have seen dates for august 9,10,11,12,and 13 in english at new delhi almost every day around 8.20pm central time till 9.30pm central time.but till now, I have not seen a SINGLE hindi appointment slot at new delhi consulate!!

ranand00
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
yep same experience with me.
well i have taken the dates for 2nd week of august...lets see...hey billu can you please post your in-laws experience once they go for their appt.
All the best to your family
anand

billu
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
ya sure will definitely post it the same day.their interview is on july 30th.

gcsim
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
My in-laws went for english interview today at delhi consulate...the lady there was extremely rude..didn't check any papers..asked two questions to them..why you want to go and is this your first time..they answered it..then she kept checking something on her computer after 10 mins she said..your visa is rejected:mad: and that was it...all the best to others trying for visa for their parents/in-laws.

billu
07-29-2010, 01:39 PM
sorry to hear that but you can try again soon. may be next time they will get a better VO. what, according to you, could be the reason for rejection?I am surprised as to why that lady rejected their visa just after 2 questions!!were there any weak points like retirement or low income or no children in india. looks like there was some info on DS 160 that she was referring to because that is what is displayed in their computer when they are interviewing. My in-laws have their interview in hindi at new delhi consulate tomorrow and we are keeping our figers crossed.

gcsim
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
wish you all the luck...yes my father-in-law is retired..that might be the reason...can anyone tell me how long before they can apply for visa again?

sandeep219
07-29-2010, 03:34 PM
sorry to hear that but you can try again soon. may be next time they will get a better VO. what, according to you, could be the reason for rejection?I am surprised as to why that lady rejected their visa just after 2 questions!!were there any weak points like retirement or low income or no children in india. looks like there was some info on DS 160 that she was referring to because that is what is displayed in their computer when they are interviewing. My in-laws have their interview in hindi at new delhi consulate tomorrow and we are keeping our figers crossed.

Hey billu, did you get appointment in Hindi or in English? I think in some earlier post you mentioned you booked it in English.

rashu_gulati
07-29-2010, 03:52 PM
My father had his appointment today. It was a tough day . First he didn't take the blue hdfc receipt and when he got to the line they told him they need the blue receipt and not the pink one. they allowed him to go and get a new one so my father deposited 7k again and got the new receipt
So after spending close to 15k, he finally went for the interview. the officer asked him only 1 question, what do you do? my father said he has his own buisness and then he asked 2-3 questions related to it. he was looknig at the computer most of the time so i assume he was looking at ds 160. my mother already has 10 yrs multiple entry visa and she came here twice so he asked abt her travel etc
at the end he said sorry we can't grant you a visa and they rejected the visa.

saarejahanseaccha
07-29-2010, 05:55 PM
thanks guys for all the info.

i had a tough time getting appointment for my in-laws for visitor visa in delhi in hindi language. After looking for more than a month regularly from 6pm to 1am central time every night (every 5 mins) and from 5am to 8am central time every morning, when I did not find a single open slot for hindi, i took english language appointment finally last week on wednesday at 8.30pm central time. dates were available for july 28,29 and 30. since then i have been tracking dates for english appointment and i have seen dates for august 9,10,11,12,and 13 in english at new delhi almost every day around 8.20pm central time till 9.30pm central time.but till now, I have not seen a SINGLE hindi appointment slot at new delhi consulate!!

I don't think you will see any Hindi visa appointment dates available on VFS for Delhi/Mumbai, it just doesn't happen...If you call either they will tell you to keep looking...but the best & only way is to take an English appointment per their convenient, go there and ask for a Hindi interpreter..

Or should I say..when parents/in-laws will go to Delhi/Mumbai..they will have an option to ask for an interpreter..thats just how it works..all the best..

saarejahanseaccha
07-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Billu, don't do that mistake. If they are lucky then they will get in if not then the consulate will simply cancel their appointment and ask them to reapply again. In that case, they will have to pay for the visa fees all over again and go through the entire process. I think you should take this issue to your local congressman and the senator. That is the best solution and I do not think IV will do anything for this since this is completely an administration issue with the Delhi Consulate. Summer time and too many people are applying for the visa and less staffs at the consulate too.

So do not select English and ask for a translator.

Speaking by experience..Delhi/Mumbai always has translators..thats just how it works there..the only way to get an appointment is to take it in English..go there and ask for a translator..no senator/anyone else can help in this matter..it's pretty straight forward..good luck..

saarejahanseaccha
07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
i think austingc is right. Taking an english appointment and then asking for a hindi translator will not be wise. Too many scenarios work against you - and if the appt is cancelled and asked to reapply, not only will you loose the money, you will add many more sleepless nights.

Not sure how your local rep or senator can help since it is Delhi consulate problem, but try contacting them and see if they can be of help.

How long does it generally take to get a hindi appointment?

You will never find Hindi appointment dates..the only way is to take english appointment date go there and ask for an interpreter..

billu
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey billu, did you get appointment in Hindi or in English? I think in some earlier post you mentioned you booked it in English.

getting hindi appointment at new delhi consulate is like winning a lottery.....i waited for more than a month for hindi appointment and finally gave up and took an english appointment last week for july 30th.

billu
07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
My in-laws got their visa at new delhi consulate on friday. first, they had a VO who asked them qs in english with accent. they were not able to understand a thing, so they requested him to ask qs in hindi after which he asked them to go to another counter where a young guy asked them qs in hindi. he was very polite and smiling all the time.

VO: Show me ur daughter's visa
we did not send them my wife's visa since i was sponsoring them.
Dad: We do not have daughter's visa. Here is son-in-law's visa

VO looked at the visa (I-797 and visa stamp copy), checked in computer for 4-5 mins and then asked
VO: Was it an arranged marriage?
Dad: Yes
VO: Tell me more about the process.
Dad: It was arranged marriage. My son-in-law's parents contacted us and then the girl and boy met each other and .....he described the process of arranged marriage.

VO smiled and asked: What do you do?
Dad: I am a businessman.
VO: What kind of business you do?
Dad told about his business

VO: Aapka Visa Manzoor ho gaya hai (Your visa has been approved).

thanks to everyone on this forum.