PDA

View Full Version : Should I come back on AP or H1

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 04:44 PM
I am one of the July 2007 485 filer.
Me and wife have EAD's which we are using right now on I-9's to work.

I have an expired H1 stamp on passport.
Wife too has expired H4 stamp on passport.
I have a valid h1b approval notice until 5/31/2013
Wife too has a valid h4 approval notice until 5/31/2013

I have an AP which is valid for 1 year from today.

I want to visit India for a marriage.

Questions I have:
- While exiting USA, do they take my I-94 ?
- While coming back, if I show my AP, does my H1 status cancels out?
- Given the sad situation of our GC's. but the fact that I have H1 approval, should I simply goto consulate in mumbai, and re-enter on h1? Someone said on this forum that one can have only 1 status, h1 or parole. So if I enter on h1, will that invalidate my Adjustment of status?
- Entering back on h1 stamp, will give me 3 years of least headache, cos I wont have to renew AP every year.
- Entering back on h1, will keep my wife's H4 valid too.

So question is should I enter back on H1 or AP?

gc_kaavaali
06-28-2010, 05:02 PM
So many times discussed about this topic. As soon as you start using EAD you are done with H1. You are no longer on H1. You need to give all prior I-94's when you are leaving US.

I am one of the July 2007 485 filer.
Me and wife have EAD's which we are using right now on I-9's to work.

I have an expired H1 stamp on passport.
Wife too has expired H4 stamp on passport.
I have a valid h1b approval notice until 5/31/2013
Wife too has a valid h4 approval notice until 5/31/2013

I have an AP which is valid for 1 year from today.

I want to visit India for a marriage.

Questions I have:
- While exiting USA, do they take my I-94 ?
- While coming back, if I show my AP, does my H1 status cancels out?
- Given the sad situation of our GC's. but the fact that I have H1 approval, should I simply goto consulate in mumbai, and re-enter on h1? Someone said on this forum that one can have only 1 status, h1 or parole. So if I enter on h1, will that invalidate my Adjustment of status?
- Entering back on h1 stamp, will give me 3 years of least headache, cos I wont have to renew AP every year.
- Entering back on h1, will keep my wife's H4 valid too.

So question is should I enter back on H1 or AP?

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Why did they allow me (my lawyer) to renew H1 status then?
Lawyer just received the h1 approval, you know?
And I too received my wife's H4.

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Read the link Immigration: EAD and AP (http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/ead-ap.php), especially the advance parole section.

"However, there is an exception for people in H, L, K or V status: you may return to the US using either an AP or a valid visa (H1, H4, L1 or L2), and it won't jeopardize your AOS application."

keiryu
06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
You can have AOS and H-1b concurrently. If you have the time, I would renew your H-1B visa at the consulate and re-enter using H-1b. It is much less hassle than to return using AP.

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 05:31 PM
You can have AOS and H-1b concurrently. If you have the time, I would renew your H-1B visa at the consulate and re-enter using H-1b. It is much less hassle than to return using AP.

This is what I think too.

But it contradicts a senior member's post above (http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum77-work-travel-options-after-485-h1-versus-ead-ap/1598547-should-i-come-back-on-ap-or-h1.html#post1965755).

Any official documentation about this ?

keiryu
06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Let me rephrase. You can have both but you can only enter in as one status. Whatever you enter in as, that will be your status. If you have not entered in as AP, You can enter the US on H-1b without impacting your AOS.

Status of EAD/AP vs. H/L (http://www..com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/eadap-hl.html)

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Let me rephrase. You can have both but you can only enter in as one status. Whatever you enter in as, that will be your status. If you have not entered in as AP, You can enter the US on H-1b without impacting your AOS.

Status of EAD/AP vs. H/L (http://www..com/greencard/adjustmentofstatus/eadap-hl.html)

This is bad then for me.
Cos, If I enter on h1, then my wife will automatically become h4 status right?
She is also on EAD and working!

gc_kaavaali
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Read carefully. It says 'However, there is an exception for people in H, L, K or V'. You are not on H1 right. That condition won't applicable for you.

Read the link Immigration: EAD and AP (http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/ead-ap.php), especially the advance parole section.

"However, there is an exception for people in H, L, K or V status: you may return to the US using either an AP or a valid visa (H1, H4, L1 or L2), and it won't jeopardize your AOS application."

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Read carefully. It says 'However, there is an exception for people in H, L, K or V'. You are not on H1 right. That condition won't applicable for you.

I have an expired H1 VISA stamp, but an approved h1 i797 form approved till 2013, but I am using my EAD to work.

Assuming that, are you saying that I can go to a consulate, get a h1 stamp and reenter on h1 ? and by doing so I WILL NOT jeopardize my AOS?

Sorry to be a pain.
I am just trying to understand this properly.
I do not intend trouble.
Any replies that you guys are giving is very much appreciated.

kshitijnt
06-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I have an expired H1 VISA stamp, but an approved h1 i797 form approved till 2013, but I am using my EAD to work.

Assuming that, are you saying that I can go to a consulate, get a h1 stamp and reenter on h1 ? and by doing so I WILL NOT jeopardize my AOS?

Sorry to be a pain.
I am just trying to understand this properly.
I do not intend trouble.
Any replies that you guys are giving is very much appreciated.

Hi - I was in a similar situation as you:
In 2009: I entered using H1 and my wife entered using AP. No hassles. It was a smooth process. My wife has derivative status on my 485.

In 2010: We both entered using AP. I am using H1 for work & my wife is using EAD for work. My H1 was renewed at the end of 2009 but I thought that going to Mumbai was wasting time and 2 days of my precious vacation so I did not get the stamp but entered using AP. I can still use my H1 for work authorization which I am doing right now.

No worries, keep your H1 as a backup if you need. Enter using AP. Dont waste time and money paying a visit to the consulate, you are just gifting away $140, you can do that later if the need comes.

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi - I was in a similar situation as you:
In 2009: I entered using H1 and my wife entered using AP. No hassles. It was a smooth process. My wife has derivative status on my 485.

In 2010: We both entered using AP. I am using H1 for work & my wife is using EAD for work. My H1 was renewed at the end of 2009 but I thought that going to Mumbai was wasting time and 2 days of my precious vacation so I did not get the stamp but entered using AP. I can still use my H1 for work authorization which I am doing right now.

No worries, keep your H1 as a backup if you need. Enter using AP. Dont waste time and money paying a visit to the consulate, you are just gifting away $140, you can do that later if the need comes.

Thanks for your reply. It helps understand the process.

The concept of dual intent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_intent) exists, it just gets confusing, that is all.

GCHope2011
06-28-2010, 07:52 PM
If your EAD employer is also your H1-B sponsor, then you can get H1B stamped and re-enter using H1B and subsequently continue to work for the same employer.

However, if your EAD employer is not the H1B sponsor, then entering on H1B complicates matters, as you always enter on H1B with the intention of working for your H1B sponsor, which will not be true if your EAD employer has not gone through the process for hiring a H1B employee.

sixburgh
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
If your EAD employer is also your H1-B sponsor, then you can get H1B stamped and re-enter using H1B and subsequently continue to work for the same employer.

However, if your EAD employer is not the H1B sponsor, then entering on H1B complicates matters, as you always enter on H1B with the intention of working for your H1B sponsor, which will not be true if your EAD employer has not gone through the process for hiring a H1B employee.

Ead and h1 employer are the same.
What happens when I want to change my job by using ac21 later?