PDA

View Full Version : Help : Parent got New Passport but Visa in Old Passport

amitga
06-18-2010, 10:41 AM
My parents have a 10 year tourist visa valid until 2013. They got a new passport this year. Can they travel on the visa stamped in the old passport or do they need to get visa stamping done in the new passport.

sareesh
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, They can come to US without any issues but you need to carry both passports.

TX,
SG.

mhathi
06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
They can travel with old visa stamping. Just staple the new passport and the old passport together, and carry them as one unit. There should be no issues.

Mhathi

frostrated
06-18-2010, 03:28 PM
They can travel with old visa stamping. Just staple the new passport and the old passport together, and carry them as one unit. There should be no issues.

Mhathi

Do not stape the passports together. The new passports are machine scannable, and they will be scanned at the port of entry. If the passports are stapled together, they cannot be scanned. Just carry both of them with you and you will be fine.

a_yaja
06-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Do not stape the passports together. The new passports are machine scannable, and they will be scanned at the port of entry. If the passports are stapled together, they cannot be scanned. Just carry both of them with you and you will be fine.

Agree with frostrated. I have a rubber band around the center pages of both my old and new passport. The same is the case with both my parents - they just have a rubber band joining the two passports. None of us have faced any issues at the POE.

mhathi
06-18-2010, 04:13 PM
I was not aware of that. Thank you for letting me know

shreekhand
06-19-2010, 11:11 AM

Well, not sure why you think it is not a good idea not to staple.

Staple the first page of the old PP to the last of the new PP, such that the new is on top of the old. The machine scanable first page of the new PP is free to be scanned.

I have done this and traveled several times with absolutely no issues.

The Indian regular PP is not a ePassport with a RFID chip in the back cover yet, so chill out and staple, it is safer and much reliable than rubber bands.