PDA

View Full Version : Indian passport renewal in NY

njgcmar03
11-29-2007, 10:08 AM
I applied for a new passport(as my 10 year validity is expiring in Jan 2008) at CGI NY in person on 10/04/2007 along with my wife's passport. My wife's passport got renewed within 3 working days(She applied for name change in 2003) but mine did not. Apparently, CGINY needs to get clearence from India(Hyderabad) so that these guys can give me a new passport.

Long story short, the customer service people at CGINY are not quite helpful in getting me the information. These guys don't really know what is going on with my application. I could get some info from India. When I got my passport for the first time(Hyderabad), the records were not computerized and so, these guys at CGINY dont have any information about my passport records.

Passport offices in India will get a request for clearence from abroad if anyone applies for renewal(and the applying person's records are not computerized) and Indian office has to verify the records and send the clearence. It has been close to 2 months since I applied and I even went for an interview with the consular in NY. Even this guy doesn't want to give me any time line.

The funny thing is, whenever I call CGINY to request status, they always ask me to come for an interview. When I ask them what the interview is related to, then they always reply me that the consular can give more information like status. I am not sure why these people can't give out the info. Also, for every call, they ask me whether my status is legal in US or not. I have my VISA stamped until 2010 and I have EAD.

Has anyone experienced similar stuff? If so, how long did it take to get the passport? Will CGINY people call when the passport is ready or do we have to keep calling them to get status info?

Thanks,

sammyb
11-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I applied for a new passport(as my 10 year validity is expiring in Jan 2008) at CGI NY in person on 10/04/2007 along with my wife's passport. My wife's passport got renewed within 3 working days(She applied for name change in 2003) but mine did not. Apparently, CGINY needs to get clearence from India(Hyderabad) so that these guys can give me a new passport.

Long story short, the customer service people at CGINY are not quite helpful in getting me the information. These guys don't really know what is going on with my application. I could get some info from India. When I got my passport for the first time(Hyderabad), the records were not computerized and so, these guys at CGINY dont have any information about my passport records.

Passport offices in India will get a request for clearence from abroad if anyone applies for renewal(and the applying person's records are not computerized) and Indian office has to verify the records and send the clearence. It has been close to 2 months since I applied and I even went for an interview with the consular in NY. Even this guy doesn't want to give me any time line.

The funny thing is, whenever I call CGINY to request status, they always ask me to come for an interview. When I ask them what the interview is related to, then they always reply me that the consular can give more information like status. I am not sure why these people can't give out the info. Also, for every call, they ask me whether my status is legal in US or not. I have my VISA stamped until 2010 and I have EAD.

Has anyone experienced similar stuff? If so, how long did it take to get the passport? Will CGINY people call when the passport is ready or do we have to keep calling them to get status info?

Thanks,

mine will expire in 04/08 and am planning to renew the same from CGINY soon ... don't know whats waiting ...

one of my friend from MA did renew his passport at CGINY and he got his done on the same day (if I am not wrong) ...

seems customer service is an acute problem with any of the CGI in US :(...

ravise
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
i applied for my passport renewal (in person) on 19th nov and received it yesterday(28th).

H1B-GC
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
I renewed my Passport from CGI-NYC last Month.It was pretty straight forward - Posted my Passport 2 weeks before Expiry and got back my Passport in 10 Days by Certified USPS Mail.

The new passport looks so Cool now .Its Barcoded and all the details Printed and the Photograph Scanned and Placed on the passport.Earlier , everytime when i leave this country poor fellas at the Airlines had to type my name and other details.Not anymore.... :)

ravise
11-29-2007, 10:48 AM
at CIGNY

thepaew
11-29-2007, 11:12 AM
Two years ago, I mailed in my passport for renewal at CGINY and went through an ordeal that I wouldn't wish up on my worst enemy.

After several weeks of waiting, I started calling them - but at that time nobody at the CGI returned calls or emails even if I called the emergency line. I live in Boston, and it is a hassle to go down to NYC on a working day. I did and was told that my passport was in the mail. Anyway, a few weeks go by and on another trip to NYC I refused to take their excuses as I needed to travel urgently to India. Then they admitted to me that they had lost my old passport with all my documents.

I was also told:
1. We rarely lose passports and can not help it if you are an "UNLUCKY" person
2. We can find it only if you know someone important at the Ministry.

I dealt with CGINY in 2001 on an unrelated matter and was given prompt service. Si I guess a lot depends on the caliber and integrity of the people they have posted.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Thanks,

testsite
06-24-2008, 10:21 AM
The NY consulate received my passport on Jun 6 2008 and I got my passport back on Jun 21 2008 through US Express mail. I tried to call in between but none of my phone calls or email were answered. I looked up one of the consul generals online and directly called him and got my passport info with tracking number. He was very nice, polite and helpful. I recommend you using express mail because its got a tracking number and you know when and where your passport is. Good luck!

snathan
06-24-2008, 11:01 AM
The NY consulate received my passport on Jun 6 2008 and I got my passport back on Jun 21 2008 through US Express mail. I tried to call in between but none of my phone calls or email were answered. I looked up one of the consul generals online and directly called him and got my passport info with tracking number. He was very nice, polite and helpful. I recommend you using express mail because its got a tracking number and you know when and where your passport is. Good luck!

What is the number you have called up. I need to renew my passport in NY next month. I am planning to go to the consulate directly.

Also let me know which form to fill and fee

new2guitar
11-18-2009, 02:51 PM
I am screwed, its almost one month and I have not recieved my new passport, I have my gmat exam in Dec and I can't cancel or postpone it. I need passport for GMAT.

I got hold of passport services after dialing multiple times, the answer I got is its waiting for some stupid bureaucrat to approve in Hyderabad.

one of my friend was denied passport renewal here with response that he was issued passport 10 years back with out police clearance and they are questioning how he managed to get it.

milsz
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I had a similar problem a year back... sent PP for renew(after 10 years pp) and then nothing...waited for 2 months...after that tried to contact cginy...
no replys to voicemail, fax and emails... very difficult to get hold of someone...Once I got answer that they don't have my pp...
After 3 months waiting and still no pp, I had to travel, so thought I will go personally...after going their personally, got a pp with 1 year validity...

Ofcourse, this 1 year expiry created a problem on re-entry..got I-94 only till that date...

So, if your pp application is stuck in the process, just go to CGI ny in person...at least you will get 1 year short term validity pp to use....

hope_4_best
01-22-2010, 11:37 AM
I need to renew the passports of wife and kid from Indian Consulate New York by mail.
May I please know the list of documents that needs to be notarized?

k_usa
01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
I need to renew the passports of wife and kid from Indian Consulate New York by mail.
May I please know the list of documents that needs to be notarized?

Only the status document (I-797 of H1 / H4 / EAD) need to be notarized

u.misc
01-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know what is the photograph size requirement.

The online application form that is printed out say "stick 2" X 2" in here" but the instructions for the form clearly says 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm. Why everything that has with word "india" in it is so confusion and cumbersome.

raj727
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
njgcmar03,

I have submitted my passport for renewal at NY and its been two months now, I have valid visa stamped and I have submitted my passport 6 months before expiring date, went to consoling service to find out the cause of delay and found clearance not received from India.

raj727
01-25-2010, 02:20 PM
they will accept indian passport size photo or standard US visa photo size

raj727
01-25-2010, 02:22 PM
if you are going in person then no nead to notarized, only if you are sending by mail you nead to notaarize.

KOEL
01-25-2010, 03:17 PM
I have applied for renewal of my Indian passport w at CGNY by mail. Can anyone pls tell me how long does it take for CGNY to issue passport if they require clearance from indian passport office in India. My passport was issued in Bhubaneswar India in 2000 and their records were most probably not computerized back then.

raj727
01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
you should receive your passport renewed with in two weeks from date of submition by hand, if not contact them.

amindarshana
06-01-2010, 09:11 PM
My Original passport was issued at mumbai in 1999.
I went to NY - Indian coulslate in Jan 2009 and I got year passport - they said they need Police CLearance from mumbai.
Apr 2009 Police came for inquiry at my mumbai resident.
Aug 2009 I went again to NY to extend my passport - they again gave me for 1 year and said police clearance not received yet.
I went again on Apr 30th 2010. This time they asked me to call me after 2 weeks.
I kept calling after 2 week and after month they still haven't received police clearance from Mumbai.
They suggested me to Call Regional passport office in mumbai and try to get updates from there.

Is there anybody in similar situation ? Is there a way to follow up in Mumbai?
Any help would be appreciated

spk2011
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM
i came to USA on h1b visa on 2004 and became out of status after that.my passport was valid until 2006 , but by then i was out of status in 2006.so i applied for passport renewal and they gave me new passport with 1 year validity ie upto 2007.then again in 2007 i applied for renewal and they gave me upto 1 year.so from 2006 to 2011 (ie 5yrs) they hae been extending my passport for 1 year until when applied for extension in 2011 they said we cant extend any more and you have to get any status proof or leave the country before my passport expires (dec 2011).

from 2006 to 2010 i have done my passport renewal at indian consulate ,NY.
and i moved to california in 2010 and again applied in 2010 from california and they gave me for 1 year ie upto 2011.now in 2011 when i again tried to apply for renewal they said we cant extend any more as short vality passport duration is only 5 years and i have completed that 5 year period ie from 2006 to 2011.

so what are my options now.should i leave india before my passport expires.is there any way i can get back into status in this country.can i marry a american citizen and get into status.

should i leave this country before my passport expires and if so what question they ask me here while exiting and when i enter india.will i face any problems.

and what if i over stay after my passport expired (dec 2011) and can i go back to india with expired passport.what problems could i face in india if i land there with expired passport.

is there any other way i can sty here with expired passport and marry citizen and try to get in status.do i need a valid passport in order to marry.

i would like to know what should i do now.please help me iam in deep trouble now.

Zoh11
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
HI all,

I am going through hell with the CGNY! No one picks up the calls, answers emails, or faxes. I have my relatives in India going to the Hyderabad passport offices and police offices, but over there it is even worse. The lady at PO in HYD said "people have their files pending for years and you are getting worried after a couple of months?" What kind of response is this? Do they do anything in India at these offices?

Anyways, me and my family need to travel in an emergency to India and want to apply for emergency passport. Can anyone whose got the emergency one year passport pose how they did it?

What did you need to get it? How much it costs? And does everyone who needs one needs to go to NY? It's so costly so I thought I could go alone and collect one for my family members?

Please yaar, someone help me!

nandu_k_n
05-07-2012, 06:51 PM
HI all,

I am going through hell with the CGNY! No one picks up the calls, answers emails, or faxes. I have my relatives in India going to the Hyderabad passport offices and police offices, but over there it is even worse. The lady at PO in HYD said "people have their files pending for years and you are getting worried after a couple of months?" What kind of response is this? Do they do anything in India at these offices?

Anyways, me and my family need to travel in an emergency to India and want to apply for emergency passport. Can anyone whose got the emergency one year passport pose how they did it?

What did you need to get it? How much it costs? And does everyone who needs one needs to go to NY? It's so costly so I thought I could go alone and collect one for my family members?

Please yaar, someone help me!

Couple of years back, I had similar situation. I applied for passport renewal at NY Consulate and never got my passport renewed. I called several times and emailed several times. Then after 3 months of try, I have decided to go to NY personally. But, I just tried one last time to call and suddenly one lady picked up the phone. I got my renewed passport in the mail within a week after talking to that lady. They must have kept my passport application at a wrong place and never cared about it until I called them. Good luck to you.

You may get someone connected on the phone if you try repeatedly. But, if not, try in person, and you may get your passport renewed quicker.