PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Cancun with Re-entry permit/green card-no passport

jewelz
05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Hello,
I am sure this question has been asked before but please help me if you can. I would like to obtain information about entering Mexico for a 2 weeks summer vacation. I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) but I am unable to obtain a passport from my country of origin. I do have a re-entry permit and I would like to know if these documents will be enough to enter Mexico before booking my ticket. I have tried to contact various mexican consulates in the US but none of them picks up the phone. Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

IfYouSeekAmy
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Don't know about entering Mexico but you will definitely need your passport to re-enter the US.

Hello,
I am sure this question has been asked before but please help me if you can. I would like to obtain information about entering Mexico for a 2 weeks summer vacation. I am a Lawful Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder) but I am unable to obtain a passport from my country of origin. I do have a re-entry permit and I would like to know if these documents will be enough to enter Mexico before booking my ticket. I have tried to contact various mexican consulates in the US but none of them picks up the phone. Your reply will be greatly appreciated.

sunny1000
05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello,

As far as I know, you will need a passport to re-enter U.S with the new WHTI. Please see the following links. To enter Mexico, you don't need a visa as you are a GC holder but, you may need the passport. If you are close to a Mexican consulate, go there in person and enquire (I know for sure the NY mexican consulate answers these questions over phone too).

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/kbyg_regulations.ctt/kbyg_regulations.pdf

Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html)