PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of Indian Passport from CGI Houston TX

Pages : [1] 2 3

vallabhu
11-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Hi Guys do you know how long it is taking CGI Huston TX to send new passport for expired passports, Original passport was done in India.

Maverick1
11-13-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi Guys do you know how long it is taking CGI Huston TX to send new passport for expired passports, Original passport was done in India.

It took about 2 weeks from Newyork. Not sure about the Texas but they are usually fast.

venky08
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
3-4 weeks, best to apply in person and pick up in person.

lskreddy
11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
When I did it a few months ago, it took close to 90 days. And, once you submit, you are at their mercy. No information is given, phone calls always end up in 'this mailbox is full crap'.

So, if you need it much faster, I would suggest either calling them prior to submitting and checking if their times have improved or going there in person. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

The 10 day return is supposedly for people who got their passports through Houston. For passports issued in India, it may take up to 90 days.

vallabhu
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately I already sent my application and they received it on 10/30.

roseball
11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
One of my friends applied in August and got it in 30 days....My application reached them on 10/26....So I am hoping to receive it by the end of this month...As some one said, we are at their mercy....

rishikesh75
11-13-2007, 06:18 PM
2 wks max. I submitted it to them on 10/8 (in-person) & got it on 10/17. Keep aside 2-4 hrs when you go to submit as there is only 1 window operational.

sammyb
11-13-2007, 06:19 PM
It took about 2 weeks from Newyork. Not sure about the Texas but they are usually fast.

or over the mail ... I need to do mine soon and I live in NY ... so was wondering .. which one would be better ...

shubhn
11-13-2007, 06:32 PM
I sent my passport for renewal on Nov 9th, 2007 to Houston.
I have to visit India in Jan. I went by the time lines listed on the website and hope they it back to me within 2-3 weeks.

I requested in a detailed letter to them if I should bump the application up to an emergency. Hope to get a response back.

( I know I might be hoping for too much here. I should have applied well in advance. )

roseball, vallabhu
Please post updates when you have any more news.

Thanks,
shubhn

sundarpn
11-13-2007, 06:41 PM
how about Washington DC consulate?

I am hoping they are more prompt. It has been 5 working days since I sent mine....

ndbhatt
11-13-2007, 06:42 PM
two weeks for renewal of my wife's passport.
This was at Indian Consulate, Houston.

BTW, I added $20 to the fees for return overnite shipping. I didn't go there personally but sent it by overnite mail.

lonedesi
11-13-2007, 06:55 PM
I sent my passport for renewal during first week of Oct 07 and still have no clue about the status of my passport. I am at their mercy now, hoping & praying that I will get a new passport soon. No one gives any updates. I just cannot seem to get hold of anyone at this consulate when I call during 2.00pm -4.00pm to check on the status of my application. If by mistake anyone picks up the phone, she does not have any status update and asks us to call after few weeks again.
I sent email & fax to see if I can find out anything about my passport, but no one cares to answer. Their customer service is pathetic to say the least. If only I can find the email address of Vice Consul or that of Indian ambassador in Washington DC, I would like to send a detailed email about the kind of service I received....knowing very well that it will not serve any purpose to anyone. Thats the way those idiots work, and no one can do anything about it.

roseball
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
two weeks for renewal of my wife's passport.
This was at Indian Consulate, Houston.

BTW, I added $20 to the fees for return overnite shipping. I didn't go there personally but sent it by overnite mail.

I guess you really were lucky to get away in 2 weeks...I have not heard any +ve stories for services at CGI Houston....Their customer service really sucks big time....Its unimaginably tough to speak to a person when you call, on top of that, if you get through, they are very rude to talk to....You are just helpless.....I did send my application via overnite fedex with a $20 fee for express mail and it reached them on Oct 26th.....Hopefully, will hear from them soon.....I will post an update if there is one.....

gumpena
11-13-2007, 08:30 PM
I have submitted my wife's passport for renewal by express mail during 1st week of October. I have not heard anything from them and not able to contact them by phone.
It is reassuring that it is not me alone..

Ram_C
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
How about SFO ??

skynet2500
11-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I got my passport back in exactly 30 days. Mailed end of Sep. and got back in end of Sep. Applied in Houston by mail

anzerraja
11-13-2007, 10:34 PM
My apologies for hijacking the thread, but since many who have experience with the renewal process are around here, i am posting my question.

Does anyone know how many photos to accompany the passport application. The checklist on the application says 2 while the SFO consul website says 6.

Has anyone applied from SFO ?

Anzer

guyfromsg
11-13-2007, 11:01 PM
Saw this letter to editor in Khabar. Hope this helps

Good Work, Houston Consulate!

Recently I’ve read letters from Khabar readers complaining about the service and performance at the Indian Consulate in Houston, Texas. So, when I found out that the Consulate had cancelled (on a whim, it appeared!) publicly announced visa camps in the Atlanta area, I feared the worst. Canceling publicly announced visa camps and not even informing the Indian media in the area or the very organizations that help administer them seemed like the height of disregard by the Consulate for their clients.

The next day I learnt that the Consulate had outsourced the visa processing service to a professional company. Not knowing what to make of it, I was still nervous as I had less than a month to go (I was counting on the visa camp that got cancelled). Thankfully, my experience turned 180 degrees when I began my application process from the link provided on the Consulate’s website for their visa services contractor.

After filling out the form online, the system gave me an ID #. I sent my form and documents by overnight delivery and kept my UPS tracking number handy?just in case! To my surprise, the very next day I received an email acknowledging receipt of the application and an assurance that it’d be processed right away. I was still not convinced that it could be going so smoothly, so the next day I went to the link they sent me to track the progress of my application, and sure enough there were fresh updates on it informing me the status of the application. Exactly a week from the day I mailed the application, I received another email saying my passport/visa had been dispatched back to me, along with the shipping company’s tracking number.

I was thrilled with the speed and professionalism of the whole process and would like to compliment the Consulate in taking this most effective step of partnering with a quality visa service provider.
Satisfied Applicant
Suwanee, Ga.

roseball
11-14-2007, 01:15 AM
This letter is regarding services like issuing PIO cards/Visas for India.....Passport renewal and Miscellaneous services are not outsourced and the service for those sucks beyond reason.....

roseball
11-14-2007, 01:16 AM
I got my passport back in exactly 30 days. Mailed end of Sep. and got back in end of Sep. Applied in Houston by mail

Yes, one of my friends received in exactly 30 days too......I am hoping same is the case with me....

anilsal
11-14-2007, 01:27 AM
if you are in a hurry, you can try calling them and usually at the Indian consulates, they are quite friendly and may help you out (if there is urgency and you have valid reasons).

GCOptimist
11-14-2007, 03:28 AM
I submitted my application in-person end of last month and collected my new passport exactly a week later. Add 2 more weeks for mail transactions. Houston CGI is getting efficient.

plm
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
I got my passport renewed at Houston in 6 weeks and my wife got it in 4 weeks this year.

sbvw76
11-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I got mine in 8 weeks after submission. But For my son, it is six weeks and still counting...

Service is really poor in Houston. No response for emails or phone calls.

Thanks
Bala

sundarpn
11-14-2007, 10:48 AM
How about DC guys (for mailed in PP renewal)?

kasanski33
11-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Sent my passport on Oct 8th got the new one yesterday.

H1B-GC
11-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Did you put a copy of your valid H1B Document and EAD(if you have one ofcourse) in the Package . Call them and Find out about the delay(prblly you need to call multiple times to connect to them). Mine was sent to NYC and got the New Passport back in mail in about 10 days.

NIW
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
I sent my passport for renewal during first week of Oct 07 and still have no clue about the status of my passport. I am at their mercy now, hoping & praying that I will get a new passport soon. No one gives any updates. I just cannot seem to get hold of anyone at this consulate when I call during 2.00pm -4.00pm to check on the status of my application. If by mistake anyone picks up the phone, she does not have any status update and asks us to call after few weeks again.
I sent email & fax to see if I can find out anything about my passport, but no one cares to answer. Their customer service is pathetic to say the least. If only I can find the email address of Vice Consul or that of Indian ambassador in Washington DC, I would like to send a detailed email about the kind of service I received....knowing very well that it will not serve any purpose to anyone. Thats the way those idiots work, and no one can do anything about it.

You are absolutely right. The Indian embassy and consulates are the worst places to deal with. I have had several experiances at different locations, they proved to be equally pathetic. Thay don't pick up the phones at all. They all have the same attitude of our govt offices in India "What will I get, otherwise we don't care".
You can e-mail them or fax them or call them. Your call will never be returned. I needed a document to start my residency in 2004, I tried all possible ways, nothing worked. Finally I found Ambassador's e-mail from one of my family friends, who is a senior IAS officer in Rajasthan and e-mailed the ambassador explaing my situation and mentioned that atleast I deserve a phone call from the Consulate for being a citizen of India. Later my work was done in a matter of hours. But I cann't e-mail Ambassador for everything.......

The best things one can do are
1. Try to go in person and get your work done ASAP.
2. Get all possible documents like OCI, PIO cards, visa etc, for you children even they are not needed.
2. Don't lose your passport at any circumstance. (you may even forget your life saving medicine, rest assured, you can get them in an hour)
3. Avoid embassy or consulate at all. Don't even take that road.
4. Encourage all your enemies to get some thing done from Indian consulates,. Trust me, they will never find time or energy to bother you.

I guess we all need to raise our voice and let the ambassador know that they have a clear timelines for all citizens at least in America (Forget about in India)

God bless all, not just some

vallabhu
11-14-2007, 01:55 PM
I called them to ask If I can attach 2" pics they said it is ok OS i sent the ones from Kinkos.

vallabhu
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
All mail boxes are full I am still trying to call them and send emails, I am not in a hurry but I just want to make sure they don't loose it.

This is the response I got on email.

1. For General Information on consular services, please visit our website at www.cgihouston.org. You will find answers to most of your queries there.

2. Indian Visa application is handled by M/s Travisa Outsourcing. For Indian Visa please contact them directly at http://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com

3. For genuine Emergency Service such as death in the family please contact Vice Consul(Consular) at Tel. No. 713-626-3252 and or Emergency No. 713-478-6218.

4. Time taken to process :

(i) Indian passports, except reference cases i.e. Passport not issued by CGI Houston, are processed in 7 working days. Passports issued by other Passport Offices/Consulates/Embassies take upto 30 days.

(ii) PIO cards are processed in 30 days.

(iii) OCI cases are processed in 12 weeks.

Ram_C
11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
any experience from Indain Embassy at SFO ?? planning to mail the application from Los Angeles

vallabhu
11-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Indian Embassy any where in the world will suck, They don't know what is customer service and they don't have that in their dictionary.

They don't care for fellow Indians....

somma
11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
any experience from Indian Embassy at SFO ?? planning to mail the application from Los Angeles

Sent my PP for renewal few weeks back and I got it back in 2 weeks.

For me it looked like SFO is pretty good.

anzerraja
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
How many photos did you send along with your renewal application ?

Thanks
Anzer

gc_in_30_yrs
11-14-2007, 03:19 PM
if you pay $90 extra, they will process it the same day. you can add $20 extra to get it overnight if you dont want to wait in the consulate. They are very friendly. I got it same day shipped out. All that you need is to pay more money (ofcourse this money goes to govt of india, not to the employees work there :) )

somma
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
See below.

How many photos did you send along with your renewal application ?

Thanks
Anzer

gc_in_30_yrs
11-14-2007, 03:21 PM
when i was in michigan, i drove to indian consulate in chicago, they gave me PIO card for my daughter in half hour time. can you believe it? ofcourse paid extra fees for this. they talk polite too.

somma
11-14-2007, 03:39 PM
Looks like the requirements has recently changed at SFO.

Four colored Passport size (3.5cm x 3.5cm) photographs showing frontal view of full face against a light background including one photograph to be pasted on the space provided on the first page of the application form;

More information @ http://www.cgisf.org/

Ram_C
11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

sounds good :)

Thanks
Ram

anzerraja
11-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Thanks Somma !

Looks like the requirements has recently changed at SFO.

Four colored Passport size (3.5cm x 3.5cm) photographs showing frontal view of full face against a light background including one photograph to be pasted on the space provided on the first page of the application form;

More information @ http://www.cgisf.org/

starscream
11-14-2007, 04:30 PM
sundarpn,

I applied for a new passport from the Indian Embassy in Washington DC in Nov '06 as my old one was expiring. Got the new passport in 2 weeks from the day I mailed the application.

Don't bother calling them . You will not get through to anyone. Just wait it out . It should come in 2 weeks.

Hope this helps.

I am hoping they are more prompt. It has been 5 working days since I sent mine....

sundarpn
11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
I got my PP renewed from DC in 7 busines days. Got it back in express mail.

However, the Surname now has only my last name. And the given name contains both my first and middle name.

In my old passport, the surename had both last and middle name while given name had only first name.

Is this a problem? Does anyone here know? I plan to get my h1b visa stamped in India.

thanks.

sundarpn
11-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Bump....

where do I clarify this?

Indian consualte does not entertain email or phone calls :mad:

vishage
11-22-2007, 06:41 PM
I got is renewed in Chicago in 7 days, i was shocked when i received the mail, i thgt it has come back for some error , but it was the new PP.

aarennar
11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi,
My daughter's pp expired March '06. We live in FL, so we need to apply to the Houston center.

So do we (a) apply for a new passport? or is it still 'renewal'?
(b) send renewal fees? how much - is it the same for an adult pp?

Believe me, I have searched all over, up-and-down, for any info on this specific situation (child pp, expired more than one year) but in vain :(.

Thanks,
Radha

aat0995
11-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Hi,
My daughter's pp expired March '06. We live in FL, so we need to apply to the Houston center.

So do we (a) apply for a new passport? or is it still 'renewal'?
(b) send renewal fees? how much - is it the same for an adult pp?

Believe me, I have searched all over, up-and-down, for any info on this specific situation (child pp, expired more than one year) but in vain :(.

Thanks,
Radha

My experience says it doesn't matter too much. Just attach a letter explaining that and send the fees. If you are in rush pay the highest fees or else send the lowest fees. If there is anything missing they will send the application back (at their own cost) and ask you to provide more info/fees.

aarennar
11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
My experience says it doesn't matter too much. Just attach a letter explaining that and send the fees. If you are in rush pay the highest fees or else send the lowest fees. If there is anything missing they will send the application back (at their own cost) and ask you to provide more info/fees.

Thanks - I guess that's good advice.

Btw, do I need to send the original passport with the application?

roseball
11-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks - I guess that's good advice.

Btw, do I need to send the original passport with the application?

Yes, you will need to send the original passport along with the filled in application...Since the passport is expired for over an year, check this out:

Quote:

When should you apply for the new passport?
i) Apply for reissue of Passport if the final (F) validity is less than one year. For example, if your passport is expiring on 31st Dec. 2008, you can apply for a new passport from 1st Jan. 2008 onwards.
ii) The Passport should be renewed within one year of its expiry. If for any reason you have delayed applying for a new passport beyond one year after expiry of your passport, an affidavit stating the reason for delay sworn before a Notary or a Consular Officer should be submitted along with the application.

:/End Quote

For more info on Consular Services from Houston, goto: www.cgihouston.org

Dhundhun
11-26-2007, 02:56 PM
any experience from Indain Embassy at SFO ?
Got new passport on 3rd day for whole family. In India passport was done in Barielly. Gave application Mon morning in person and collected Wed evening in person.
I have used couple of other services (e.g. certificates, power of attorney, etc) of Indian Embassy at SFO and every time they have been best for me. Although some of people I met have different experience.

aarennar
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, you will need to send the original passport along with the filled in application...Since the passport is expired for over an year, check this out:

Quote:

When should you apply for the new passport?
i) Apply for reissue of Passport if the final (F) validity is less than one year. For example, if your passport is expiring on 31st Dec. 2008, you can apply for a new passport from 1st Jan. 2008 onwards.
ii) The Passport should be renewed within one year of its expiry. If for any reason you have delayed applying for a new passport beyond one year after expiry of your passport, an affidavit stating the reason for delay sworn before a Notary or a Consular Officer should be submitted along with the application.

:/End Quote

For more info on Consular Services from Houston, goto: www.cgihouston.org

Thank you! That does help. I shall provide an affidavit.

And the link is useful too.

Now a general question : for kids of 5 or 8 year old, the application should have their 'thumb print', right? It does say "thumb print of applicant or legal guardian", but I see no value in signing for them - there's no way to identify the child if I sign there... Or am I missing something why it's better for me to sign? (There's two places for signature/thumb-print : to sign for the application, and also at the 'specimen signature' spot).

aat0995
11-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Now a general question : for kids of 5 or 8 year old, the application should have their 'thumb print', right? It does say "thumb print of applicant or legal guardian", but I see no value in signing for them - there's no way to identify the child if I sign there... Or am I missing something why it's better for me to sign? (There's two places for signature/thumb-print : to sign for the application, and also at the 'specimen signature' spot).

If they write thumb print then you can always provide it. Infact, it is there so that even the old people who cannot write can give their thumb print. So it won't hurt. Also, it looked to me that they are not too picky(like USCIS).

Good luck.

sbvw76
11-27-2007, 10:14 AM

I asked my 6 year old son to write his name..he wrote in big fonts..they accepted it and pasted below his photograph in the passport.

kumar26fl
11-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Houston and SanFrancisco usually have delays in renewing passport.

It took 41 days for mine to get renewed from Houston. The original submitted application was good and no followup was required, still it took 41 days in Houston

roseball
11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
I received my new Passport today. Applied by mail at CGI Houston.

Application RD: Oct 26th, 2007
Passport Date of Issue: Nov 22, 2007
Passport Mailed by Fedex: Nov 27th, 2007 (I included $20 express mail fee)
Passport Received: Nov 28th, 2007

vallabhu
11-28-2007, 03:44 PM
This information helps, my application received date is 10/30 so may be another week away.

Application RD: Oct 26th, 2007
Passport Date of Issue: Nov 22, 2007
Passport Mailed by Fedex: Nov 27th, 2007 (I included $20 express mail fee)

dingdong12
11-28-2007, 05:09 PM

Application RD: Oct 29th, 2007

Pranav74
11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
Hello all,

I live in Los Angeles and sent my application on 11/26/07 to CGI SF and received a call on 11/27/07 notifying me that it would take approximately 30 days to renew my passport since it has been over 3 years since it expired. Apparently they need to contact authorities in India to do additional background checking.

Yes, I admit that it is my fault for not checking my passport prior to making travel plans and not renewing in time. However, with the hope that the "emergency/tatkal" scheme would work in getting my passport renewed before my departure date of 12/15/07, I did include the extra $90 for the "emergency/tatkal" scheme. Though I sent the extra money, as I mentioned above, they informed me that they would not be able to expedite my passport renewal.

They informed me that the "emergency/tatkal" process is for grave emergencies only. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't have a close family member on their death-bed and I did not want to lie on the application.

In any case, they have sent my application back and it seems that I am out-of-luck and will probably have to cancel my trip.

However, I do have questions for people who have received renewed passports in less than 2 weeks from various CGI locations:

1. Did you apply to the CGI in the appropriate jurisdiction?
2. How long had it been since your passports had expired?
3. Did you know people who worked at the CGI or just got lucky?

shubhn
12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
I received my renewed passport yesterday from CGI, Houston.
Filed: Nov 12th 2007
Received: Dec 18th 2007
It took them around 20-23 working days to approve my application.
As others have noted here, customer service is non existent. But they do seem to be doing the job well enough.
Just make sure you file well in advance and sit tight.
Thanks,
shubhn

kalinga_sena
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
I received my passport on 7th week. Two of friends also got theirs around 6th weeks. The service is very bad. Unless you pay for the tatkal scheme, it is their mercy.

Good Luck

GCMATRIX
01-02-2008, 04:54 PM
I got my passport renewed from Houston in 12 working days. I had sent my passport on 12/11/07 ,which has reached to houston 12/12/07 11 AM. I got my paasport renewed by fedex on 12/27/07. What a service . I guess there are working better now

jnraajan
01-14-2008, 02:16 PM

I applied for my renewal in SFO and got it back in 2 weeks. I also applied for my daugther's PIO card around the same time. Got it back in 3 weeks. SFO seems to be the best

ebizash
01-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Since this topic is already being discussed....

I live in Illinois and have to renew my passport at Chicago consulate. My original passport was issued for 5 years only so as per the website, I need to file for "Renewal of short validity passport".
http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/Passpins.html#Renewal__of_Short_Validity_Passport_

But when I click on the link (under download form) itt actually open the "Misc service" form. http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/pdfforms050703.htm

Does anyone know which form to use?

Thanks

ebizash
01-15-2008, 11:09 AM
<bump>
Any one who renewed from Chicago??

m306m
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
I have renewed my passport and my wife's a couple of times in through Houston (That tell you how long I have been in the US without a GC). It typically takes them 3-4 weeks (Rush service is also offered). You can opt to pick up the passport in person as well. If you have been waiting very long for your new passport, call them up and speak with them. I have noticed that it help greatly if you speak with them in Hindi instead of English. Goodluck.

skotra
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Hey Guys!
Can anyone please help me with this.I'm on H-4 and need to change my name,maiden to married.I called the Houston office and they said that they no more change the name but make new passports.Any ideas how to?

skalra
01-17-2008, 10:21 PM
I got my PP renewed in-person at DC office, two years ago. I dropped my old PP in the morning and picked up my new PP next day.

indi0818
03-07-2008, 06:04 PM
I renewed my passport last year. Initially I sent it to Houston consulate but I had sent with a NY address. So they sent everything back saying I have to approach NY consulate. But then again I sent to Houston with a Texas address. This time they processed it and sent my passport within 15 days. I think I also called them over the phone, and they patiently told me how long it might take to renew the passport.

tn1
03-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hijack the thread.

My passport expires in June 2009. I have a valid H1B notice till Nov 2010. I was planning to get my H1B visa stamped on my passport. My lawyer asked me to renew my passport before I go for stamping. Will the indian embassy renew the passport if my expiry date is more than 1 year from the day I sent them the material ?

Someone please advise.

Also, I am sending all material to Washington DC. Do I just send all the material listed on the website ? Don't I have to correspond with them ? I can't seem to get anyone on the phone.

rtroy
03-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Hello Guays,

Any one please reply which form I need to use to Renewal my passport
at chicago consulate from the following link.
i.e please write SL Number of the form from the link

http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/pdfforms050703.htm

Thank you in advance.

gc28262
03-19-2008, 05:01 PM
All,

I have been trying to enquire about the status of my passport application. I tried all different tel numbers listed on the website. Nobody picks up !

Did anyone call CGI-Houston recently ?
If so please provide the number. Thanks !

zerozerozeven
03-19-2008, 05:19 PM
dont expect any replies...nobody is going to pick up your call...even if u get someone, they wont be able to provide with any useful information...the emails/fax will be unanswered...and the voice mail box will be full...only option is to look upwards to the sky and pray for ur passport...i got my passport after 7 weeks.

GC_Fever
03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
All,

I have been trying to enquire about the status of my passport application. I tried all different tel numbers listed on the website. Nobody picks up !

Did anyone call CGI-Houston recently ?
If so please provide the number. Thanks !

I had similar situation recently. I tried calling CGI houston several times with the nos. listed on the website and no human would answer. If you are homesick, these nos are perfect to give a call. It would just play you a long Indian Classical music over and over again. My ears were still ringing with the music after the call, you can imagine how many times I had called!

Once I was lucky to get through, but not for much help. If anyone picks ups by chance, they would be rushing you like anything and refer you to consult the website.

It is amazing!

sweet_jungle
03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I had similar situation recently. I tried calling CGI houston several times with the nos. listed on the website and no human would answer. If you are homesick, these nos are perfect to give a call. It would just play you a long Indian Classical music over and over again. My ears were still ringing with the music after the call, you can imagine how many times I had called!

Once I was lucky to get through, but not for much help. If anyone picks ups by chance, they would be rushing you like anything and refer you to consult the website.

It is amazing!

I mailed my passport about 3 weeks back to SFO. Have not yet got it. Anybody done it recently?

gc28262
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM

It is amazing!

This is one of the reasons I want my GC badly :confused:

sarav98
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
I have sent the PIO card application for my son on 03-Mar-08, thru mail.

We have a medical situation that we need to return, but his passport is stuck with the consulate, and i can not apply for emergency visa too.

1) If you go in person, will they issue a PIO on the same day?

2) What is the usual time it takes for the consulate to issie the PIO card?

Thanks for your replies.

jnraajan
03-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the PIO Card usually comes from Delhi. But, if you go in person, you could probably get a visa on the same day. You can get the PIO Card once you return from your trip

jnraajan
03-29-2008, 05:11 PM
I mailed my passport about 3 weeks back to SFO. Have not yet got it. Anybody done it recently?

I think you should get in another week. I submitted my passport in Oct and got it in exactly 4 weeks

SBH
03-29-2008, 06:53 PM
I got it in 1 day at CGI Houston, after paying emergency $90 fee ofcourse....

Dhundhun
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
How about SFO ??

I applied in person in morning. I picked next day evening (three passports, previous passports were from India). I had all the documents needed for passport.

Hope this helps

hoolahoous
03-30-2008, 03:33 AM

SFO is taking 3 weeks for in person renewal. I gave mine and got date of April 2 (which was 3 weeks away). Probably mail would take few extra days.

delhirocks
03-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Is there a number in CGSFO that I can contact them about my pending application. Its been more than 4 weeks and I am in a bit of a rush...thx

anilsal
03-30-2008, 06:01 PM
the consulates usually help getting a new passport, visa etc on all days of the week (including weekends). You just have to provide adequate information about what the emergency is.

warko01
04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Do I have to get any of the documents/copies notorized before applying by mail to CGI in Houston?

Thanks,
- warko01

warko01
04-01-2008, 04:42 PM
Interesting thing I just saw on the CGI Houston website. Here is the link -
http://www.cgihouston.org/pressrelease.htm

It says that effective April 7, 2008 only online applications will be accepted. Ofcourse one has to send the documents by mail. But another interesting thing that I saw on their site was that they say the following -

Processing time for applications received at the Consular counter is between 4 to 7 working days, excluding the date of receipt of application at the Embassy / Consulate.

Processing time for applications received at the Embassy / Consulate is between 4 to 7 working days, excluding the time taken in mail.

This means that irrespective of the method of application(mail or in person) the processing time is the same :)

Would love to hear your comments!

- warko01

sanjay_stg@yahoo.com
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
just notice that starting April 01... the form need to be filed online and should be printed.

I also have a question :

have anyone experience any issue using a 20 year Passport, my was issued in 1999 and is valid till 2019..not sure if I need to renew it or can simply use it for travelling to india ... Please provide.

Thanks

jhaalaa
04-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Its clearly mentioned at the CGI Houston website.

However I have been waiting on my wife's passport application that was submitted 3 weeks back.

sweet_jungle
04-02-2008, 03:46 AM
SFO is taking 3 weeks for in person renewal. I gave mine and got date of April 2 (which was 3 weeks away). Probably mail would take few extra days.

I got it in 3.5 weeks. I did it over mail

warko01
04-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Do I have to get any of the documents/copies notorized before applying by mail to CGI in Houston?

Thanks,
- warko01

gc28262
04-12-2008, 01:39 AM
Does CGI Houston work on weekends ?

CantLeaveAmerica
04-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know that if it's an India-issued passport and if it's about to expire, will I get the new passport the same day if I submit the application for renewal in person to the CGI/ Indian Embassy at Houston/ NY?

sparky_jones
04-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know that if it's an India-issued passport and if it's about to expire, will I get the new passport the same day if I submit the application for renewal in person to the CGI/ Indian Embassy at Houston/ NY?

At NY you may get same day service using Tatkal option ($90 extra) . You can tell them you need same day service. They will examine your passport and let you know if they can renew it the same day or not. You can then pay the $90 tatkal fee and collect the passport the same evening.

acepb
04-16-2008, 01:11 PM
You are definitely better off taking the tatkal scheme. I agree its $90 more but its so much better than waiting to get your passport back. I have been waiting for over 6 weeks and still haven't received it yet from CGI Houston. I have had similar experiences as the other posts claim....no one answers the calls and the voice mailbox is full. So its more like wait wait wait and hope that your passport shows up on your doorstep some day :P

gc28262
04-17-2008, 09:40 PM
I applied for 10 years passport extension ( old one issued from india) on March 05.2008 by Fedex. CGI Houston received it on March 06. Couldn't contact consulate employees as no one picks up the phone.

So went today to CGI Houston to check the status personally.
Checked with mail room and came to know that they had posted the passport yesterday. I received it in Fedex today. CGI mail room even provided me Fedex tracking number.

Old passport issued from : India
CGI received date: March-06-2008
Completed processing: April-12-2008
Fedexed the passport : April 16, 2008
Received new passport: April 17,2008

CGI Mail room keeps track of the passport status. They can lookup the applicant name and find the status.

kshitijnt
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I recently got my passport renewed for expiring 10 yr old passport. It took 2-3 weeks in SFO consulate. I have had to deal with this consulate 2 times, one for making my old passport ECNR and once for renewing passport. I found them courteous and very prompt. When I went the first time, the lady asked me if I had any emergency and if she could help me with something as I had gone to the consulate in the afternoon when they are closed for business, which is nice of them.

Two questions, last year when I entered US the officer at POE gave me I-94 which was equal to my passport end date. Subsequently I got my passport renewed and my company also filed an amendment to my H1. Now on new H1 my I94 is valid until 11/2009. My question is, based on my old H1, do I need to go out of the country?

Second question is, In my old passport there are 2 valid US visas, 10 Yr B1 and 3 yr H1. How do I get them on to new passport?

gc28262
04-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Second question is, In my old passport there are 2 valid US visas, 10 Yr B1 and 3 yr H1. How do I get them on to new passport?

You don't have to ( you cannot) transfer visas to the new passport. You will have to carry both old and new passport together all the time. POE officers/Indian immigration officers will use the old passport to get all your visa and travel information.

Dhundhun
04-18-2008, 03:56 AM
My question is, based on my old H1, do I need to go out of the country?

1. No you need not go out of USA, because new I94 is valid until 11/2009. However, you need to get visa stamped within one year of expiry of first one, if you want to travel frequently. I have heard that if it is more than one year, entire precess of verification starts again. In automated appointments, consulates provides option for within one year.

2. Once H1B is used, subsequently B1/B2 cann't be used. When you go to any consulates, they will cancel it. The Visa of old passport, even if expired, can be used for AVR (e.g going to Canada and coming back within a month) along with new I94.

acepb
04-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I applied for 10 years passport extension ( old one issued from india) on March 05.2008 by Fedex. CGI Houston received it on March 06. Couldn't contact consulate employees as no one picks up the phone.

So went today to CGI Houston to check the status personally.
Checked with mail room and came to know that they had posted the passport yesterday. I received it in Fedex today. CGI mail room even provided me Fedex tracking number.

Old passport issued from : India
CGI received date: March-06-2008
Completed processing: April-12-2008
Fedexed the passport : April 16, 2008
Received new passport: April 17,2008

CGI Mail room keeps track of the passport status. They can lookup the applicant name and find the status.
That's great news. My passport was received by them on March 7th so I hope I get it within the next few days! Thanks gc28262...!

acepb
04-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Just when I msged....I received my passport!! Thank God! YAY!

Hopeful123
04-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Has anybody tried the new online system? How good is it? Does it give you tracking number, etc? Mor importantly, has it made the process any faster? Thx.

vxg
05-05-2008, 11:39 AM
I received passports for me and wife last Friday. My application reached them on Mar 28th thus it took about a month. My original passports were issued from India.
BTW they respond to email very quick instead of phone calls. I emailed and they sent me the status of my app.
Just when I msged....I received my passport!! Thank God! YAY!

gcbikari
05-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Has anybody tried the new online system? How good is it? Does it give you tracking number, etc? Mor importantly, has it made the process any faster? Thx.
I mistyped my DOB (month and date in reverse order) in application, I expected it will let me correct. But it confirmed and generated the file #. I called them how to correct, they have no idea since it is new to them. Finally one officer over phone told to write a covering letter explaining the problem along with application.

So BE CAREFUL while entering the important data. Once you click on the Submit, and OK for popup buttons it is done. No separate confirmation page. The same entry page gives a popup to confirm changes, if you Ok it thats it. File is generated. Mailed mine on 4/17/08 and praying to God. I'll call them next week.

__JaYMaSTeR__
05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I sent my passport with all the documents and $40 FEE + $20 EXPRESS MAIL to houston, TX

but they sent me my passport back to me, after 1 month but it wasnt renewed. They said that I have filled the wrong application but I can't find any other application that relates to my passport on their website.

MY passport was issued in INDIA for 5 yrs validity and I didn't know it was expired a year back so they also asked me notarise my application. they also said that you have not sent correct fee.

Please anyone can help me out here about which application should I send to renew my 5 yrs passport and how much is the FEE and all other necessary documents......

THANKS YOU PLZ REPLY :confused:

Hopeful123
06-30-2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone, who has renewed their passport at CGI houston very recently, please post response time and dates. Mine was mailed on 16/6/2008 and received at the consulate on 18/6/2008. No response till now. Thanks in advance for your replies.

sanjayc
06-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I applied for renewal and it was with additional fee for Tatkal, So i paid $155 ( 90 + 45 + 20 ). Recd passport in 8 days by Fedex.

Applied on : 6/4
Recd New Passport : 6/13

Last time i did not do Tatkal for my wife's passport and then we did not get it even after 2 months, we had to go to Houston personally and request those babus there, then they charged extra 90 anyway and sent passport in 3 days after that.

You will be amazed, they never pick phone or even if you go there personally, presumably it is too difficult for them to find your file.

mumbai
06-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Anyone, who has renewed their passport at CGI houston very recently, please post response time and dates. Mine was mailed on 16/6/2008 and received at the consulate on 18/6/2008. No response till now. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I recently got mine renewed at Houston. It was done via Fedex and not personal appearance/visit. Applied on April 14th and received it at home on June 24th. So about ~10 weeks. You wouldn't get any response. No point calling the number - we can't leave a voicemail too as mailbox is full! However, I sent them couple of emails on 19th June and 23rd June and voila they sent me my new passport on June 24th. I guess they were waiting for my emails ;) don't worry you'll get urs soon.

gcbikari
06-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I Applied online in mid april, mailed to CGI houston and received in 43 days. Like others said it was difficult to get them over phone. I only got them once, I messed up with my DOB in online application, so called them and they told they'll take care of it, asked me to mention it in covering letter. I did the same and got my new passport with correct DOB.

Hopeful123
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
When they mail it out, is there a way to know or do we just have to wait until it shows up at our doorstep?

mumbai
07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Just wait for 6- 7 weeks after online filing...It should be at ur doorstep. Unfortunately no tracking facility. Only thing you can track is that is in their system by using the online File No that would have been generated during online filing.

sherlock01
07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I recently got my Indian passport renewed at CGI SFO. Everything went smoothly. Here's some info for other people's benefit. My old passport expires in Sep 2008.

I printed out the online application form and applied by mail. Enclosed the following

Application form
2 Passport photos (they returned one photo back with new passport)
Notarized copy of Drivers Lic
Notarized copy of EAD
Notarized copy of I 797
Copy of Masters Degree Cert for ECNR status.
Current passport + Photocopies of front and back page and current I-94/Visa.
Single money order for $60($40 Passport renewal fee + $20 fee for return by overnight courier).
Total Cost = $60 MO + $16 Fedex + $30 Notary = $106.

The Consulate received my application on June 16th and I received my new passport on July 1st. That's just 10 working days. I was impressed :cool:

EB3_SEP04
07-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I recently got my Indian passport renewed at CGI SFO. Everything went smoothly. Here's some info for other people's benefit. My old passport expires in Sep 2008.

I printed out the online application form and applied by mail. Enclosed the following

Total Cost = $60 MO + $16 Fedex + $30 Notary = $106.

The Consulate received my application on June 16th and I received my new passport on July 1st. That's just 10 working days. I was impressed :cool:
I sent my PP to NY city last week. Had to send 4 PP pictures.

I always notarize my docs at the nearest Wachovia Branch FOR FREE :) Upto 5-6 pages in 1 trip. only once so far i had more than 5-6 pages and the lady looked unwilling to notarize (but didn't say).
This time i did not notarize the docs. not sure if that would be a problem.

Hopeful123
07-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Update: I received my renewed PP from CGI Houston. Here are the details

CGI Houston received : 18-Jun-2008
PP issue date : 27-Jun-2008
Fedex date :02-Jul-2008

Fedex attempted to deliver it on July 3rd but I was out of town till yesterday. I picked it up today (9th July). CGI-H took about 10 business days to process. I decided on purpose to send my application after June 15th, so that all the summer travelers would have renewed it by then. I dont know if that helped me, but I am happy I got new PP in 2 weeks.

studentoflife
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Update: I received my renewed PP from CGI Houston. Here are the details

CGI Houston received : 18-Jun-2008
PP issue date : 27-Jun-2008
Fedex date :02-Jul-2008

Fedex attempted to deliver it on July 3rd but I was out of town till yesterday. I picked it up today (9th July). CGI-H took about 10 business days to process. I decided on purpose to send my application after June 15th, so that all the summer travelers would have renewed it by then. I dont know if that helped me, but I am happy I got new PP in 2 weeks.

With IKE striking in Texas , cgihouston dot org says "we will be able to provide only essential/emergency consular services until normalcy is restored."

I need to send my passport for renewal, i was thinking if i should wait for some time or send it right away

What you guys suggest ? Anyone else on the same boat ?

PSA

chunky
09-22-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anyone know tatkal fee for CGI Houston.
I am sending my passport by mail.
On one page it is written $90 but on remaining it is $150.

i see some posts with $90.
Does anyone know if there is fee increase of $90 is still valid

With IKE striking in Texas , cgihouston dot org says "we will be able to provide only essential/emergency consular services until normalcy is restored."

I need to send my passport for renewal, i was thinking if i should wait for some time or send it right away

What you guys suggest ? Anyone else on the same boat ?

PSA

mittal_a
09-22-2008, 03:31 PM
As far as I understand - $ 90 for Passports mailed to CGI houston, $ 150 is when you personally go there for Passport renewal.

Thanks
Ami

kakw
10-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Sent it the friday before hurricane Ike hit (Sep 12, 2008) and got the passport back Oct 02, 2008.
Normal processing (not tatkal)
Sent it from Florida
Was worried it might take months based on people complaining on the forums, but pleasantly surprised to receive it promptly.

senthilvs
10-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I sent it on Thursday Sep 11th before hurrican IKE to CGI Houston. Money order was cashed on Sep 23rd. Sent $60 including the express mail for returning the new passport. I haven't received yet. Calling them doesn't help a lot. Does anybody think going in person will help? Do I need to get an appointment to enquire about the passport application? Thanks in advance for your help.

ndbhatt
10-07-2008, 01:00 AM
I sent a week before Ike and we are still waiting for our passports.

texcan
10-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I sent it on Thursday Sep 11th before hurrican IKE to CGI Houston. Money order was cashed on Sep 23rd. Sent $60 including the express mail for returning the new passport. I haven't received yet. Calling them doesn't help a lot. Does anybody think going in person will help? Do I need to get an appointment to enquire about the passport application? Thanks in advance for your help.

Try contacting them via email ( check on website). I have received good response from email than any other form of communication.

Donot worry, CGI Houston is just a tad slow but they will get your papers done.

HTH

softcrowd
10-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Do we need to give a strong justification for using TATKAL (expedite) service? Or just sending an additional $150 with a covering letter going to do the trick?

Kalai
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Applied in person Sept 22 2008 at CGI Houston, The person at the counter told they will send the passport in 7 Days. Still Waiting no response when i tried to call their number.

senthilvs
10-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I just called them now. I was lucky enough to talk to the operator. She said I should be getting it in a week. I guess they have a back log. She couldn't tell me anything else. BTW my application was received on Sep 11th. Money order was cashed on Sep 23rd. Still in process not shipped yet. I called 713-626-2148 and pressed 1 then 9 and when it asked for voice mail or operator I pressed 0 for operator. I kept pressing 0 until someone answered.

senthilvs
10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
I just called them now. I was lucky enough to talk to the operator. She said I should be getting it in a week. I guess they have a back log. She couldn't tell me anything else. BTW my application was received on Sep 11th. Money order was cashed on Sep 23rd. Still in process not shipped yet. I called 713-626-2148 and pressed 1 then 9 and when it asked for voice mail or operator I pressed 0 for operator. I kept pressing 0 until someone answered.
And I just got my passport. :)

TomPlate
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Is the passport renewal for a minor child considered to be a new passport for a child. Please let me know if any one know about?

vfast9999
10-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Yes

studentoflife
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
They received my documents on Sept23rd and i am still waiting for my passport. How do i know the status ? they don't pick up calls. The automated message says that if you wish to check the status please call between 2-. Has someone tried it ? do they pick calls ?

vpajjuri@yahoo.com
10-09-2008, 03:01 PM
I had mailed my passport extension documents on 09/15/2008.

I have already booked my Tickets to India on Oct 28.

I have not heard from the Houston office yet on my passport renewal status.

Is there anything I can do to expedite the process now.

I tried mailing/calling them. No response.

Thanks.

vpajjuri@yahoo.com
10-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Hurray. finally got my new passport today in mail.

senthilvs
10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
studentoflife: You can call them like I mentioned on the previous page...they would answer you.

yellowstone
10-13-2008, 08:24 PM
I have submitted my passport for name change, some three weeks ago. But i have to move to a new apartment in the same complex.
Does anyone know what carriers does the CGI houston use to send passports? Any one received their's with anyone other than FEDEX?

nashim
10-14-2008, 12:50 PM
I going to send passport renewal application to Consulate General of India – New York,

Can some one please let me know.

1) Can I submit 2 inch by 2 inch photo? I am unable to get 3.5 x 3.5 cm photo
2) Do I need to send original passport?

Getafix
10-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi ,
My old passport and the relevant passport renewal forms reached CGI Houston on 09/30/2008. I am still waiting for get back my new PP . I haven't been able to raise anyone of the phone who could give me an update on anything.

So I am just waiting ...

jcrajput
10-16-2008, 03:03 PM
I just renew my passport at Houston, TX. It takes about 3 weeks. After so many tries, I was able to speak with CSR and she told me that it will take 3 weeks (this is standard processing time). I have received my new passport along with the old last week.

desijackass
10-20-2008, 11:18 AM
I got my passport renewed at CGI - Chicago. I mailed the passport docs out express mail on thursday. Reached them on Friday, monday was Columbus day, but to my surprise my passport was delivered exactly one week later. I recieved it on friday of the next week. Total time from start to finish 7 days. No mistakes on the passport either. I was very impressed. Anyway I heard that soon passports are being outsourced to TCS?
I cannot find a forum for CGI-CHI passport renewal so I posted this here. Many a time people only post when something goes wrong, for once everything went right!
Link to instructions for passport renewal from CGI - CHI
http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/Passpins.html

mukundhan25
10-21-2008, 10:04 PM
I wanted to renew my passport and i went in person to CGI Houston office . CGI Houston will re-issue passport the same day afternoon for additional $150 ( on top of $40 for processing fee ) . I was informed that i can pickup my new passport the next week if i opt for normal processing but I just asked them to mail my passport instead and i received it within 10 days .

Amma
10-22-2008, 02:32 AM
The passport reached the consulate by USPS on Oct 1.
I got my passport back by FedEx on Oct 21.
Really surprised by the speed.

sundarvarad
10-31-2008, 01:00 PM
Hello,
I have sent my Passport for renewal to CGI Houston, TX. I have shipped it via FEDEX on Oct 19 and it reached CGI Houston on Oct 21. It was signed by some one by name Kohli.

In the Site its mentioned, the renewal will take 7 business days. Based on this thread, I see that it might take around 3 weeks time

Can anyone tell me, Whether CGI houston communicates to us once the passport is dispatched? Will they give FEDEX / USPS tracking number to track? I want to make sure that some one will be at home to collect it.

Thanks in advance

senthilvs
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
Hello,
I have sent my Passport for renewal to CGI Houston, TX. I have shipped it via FEDEX on Oct 19 and it reached CGI Houston on Oct 21. It was signed by some one by name Kohli.

In the Site its mentioned, the renewal will take 7 business days. Based on this thread, I see that it might take around 3 weeks time

Can anyone tell me, Whether CGI houston communicates to us once the passport is dispatched? Will they give FEDEX / USPS tracking number to track? I want to make sure that some one will be at home to collect it.

Thanks in advance
You can either call them or go in person. Customer service can give you information on the status. But its hard to get them on the phone, keep trying, don't hang up the phone, but keep pressing 0.
I called 713-626-2148 and pressed 1 then 9 and when it asked for voice mail or operator I pressed 0 for operator.
But nothing to worry...you will get it soon. Its took about a month for me, because of the Hurricane Ike. But you should be ok.

rcr_bulk
10-31-2008, 02:50 PM
I renewed my passport under tatkal this month. I mailed application overnight on Thursday and Monday got a call from Houston that Money Order attached is less 50 than actual. I mailed balance next day overnight, it reached them on Wednesday and got my passport after 4 business days.

sundarvarad
10-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi,
Thank you both for your reply. I will keep posted.

sundarvarad
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Hello,
I called up the number yesterday and luckily some lady picked up. She was not even willing to answer :((. When I asked about the status, she said it will take 20 days time. I dont know why they have mentioned it in website as 7 business days. I think indian consulate doesnt know the meaning of customer service. In this modern era, why cant they keep a site to track our status...

sac-r-ten
11-05-2008, 04:05 PM

I did mine in 2006, got back in 2.5 weeks.

softcrowd
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I renewed my passport under tatkal this month. I mailed application overnight on Thursday and Monday got a call from Houston that Money Order attached is less 50 than actual. I mailed balance next day overnight, it reached them on Wednesday and got my passport after 4 business days.

rct_bulk, Could you tell how much you had to pay finally to get it under Tatkal....Is it $150 (40+20+90 ) ? Also, is it all in the same cashier check? please clarify

sundarvarad
11-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Hello,
I got my new passport yesterday. CGI houston have sent it via Fedex. They also returned my old passport. So over all it took 11 business days, which is fair and quick.

It would be great if they have tracking system in their website so that everyone can know their status since passport is a valuable doucment.

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences and providing valuable suggestions.

howru
11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Can someone help me with this...
As per the new rules for indian passport nenewal, you are supposed to fill an online form which would prepare a PDF file with your entries , and then you have to take a printout and submit it at the cosulate.
But the problem is, there are many more questions in the PDF from which are not even mentioned in the online form.

My dilemma is,
What do I do with the entries in the PDF form (passport) that are NOT filled by the online form ? Am I supposed to fill them by pen or just leave them alone ?

Amma
11-07-2008, 04:27 PM
to complete the application form. No harm.
I did it for my renewal.

Best of luck.

mach1343
11-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi All,

I have a question in the online passport registration form. When it comes to
sections
"Address to be printed in passport" and "Other Address",
I am filling my residential address under the section "Address to be printed in passport" but for "Other Address" what should I fill in?
Am I doing it right? Please respond.
Thanks a lot,

Amma
11-22-2008, 05:41 PM
you may fill in your Indian residential address.

falcyon
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi,
applied for renewal for unexpired passport via USPS on 1/28/09. Didn't hear a thing from email and/or phone enquiry.....

Shonkho

QuickGreenCard
02-12-2009, 12:57 AM
I mailed my passport for renewal to CGI Houston a week before it expired and it came back with a new passport in 2 weeks. I was able to talk to two people. Its very hard to get them on the phone....but yet I kept trying.

The address on the form is kind of confusing. They do not tell in the on-line application that they are expecting an Indian address and a US address unless you print it and see for yourself.

falcyon
02-12-2009, 01:07 AM
I did see the two address entries in the form....however, i've almost lost all ties to india to even be able to present an address for correspondance. I've put both the address as my current US address.

Where did you lookup the information on having an indian address on the form.

Thanks
Shonkho

hsingh82
02-12-2009, 01:22 AM
The staff at CGI Houston is not friendly at all, try Mr. Azad at 832-283-3357. He is a consular officer and he should be able to help (in my case he did).

falcyon
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks Guyz...I got the passport today.
I sent thru USPS : 28 th jan 2009 priority mail
Passport Received by Houston embassey: 29th jan 3.00 pm
New Passport Received by Me : 2/12/2009 (11 business days)

I think Houston is processing the cases quick....I am impressed with the turnaround time.

Hope it helps anyone wondering about the dates.

Shonkho

falcyon
02-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi Guyz,
I just realized that the newly renewed passport has a different number than the original one. It is by choice or by chance ?

Thanks
Shonkho

hsingh82
02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
That' fine. My new passport has a different number too.

vaayu
03-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Hi,
Could someone guide me what to do with my situation.. here's what happened so far

1. Applied for passport renwal at CGI Houston and USPS tracking tells me it was delivered on Jan7th 2009. It was about to expire on Jan24th 2009.
2. I waited for almost this long and called them this week, they said they dont have it in the system and not even in the return sender list.
3. USPS says they delivered. All i had is just delivery confirmation, shud have had a signature or certified mail or rather used Fedex.

Not going back to USPS ever again, needless to say it was painful to get CGI Houston on the phone only to hear that they cant find my passport application....

Could someone please help with ideas !

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-P

rustum
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi,
My passport is going to expire on 05/03/09. I am living in Dallas. Can i send my renewal request application by mail. Do you guys think i am too late to get the passport renewal. Meanwhile, i am going to read this thread and understand it.

rustum
03-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Application form is asking for address to be printed and other address. I am planning to keep my India address (my place) on my passport. I use my passport as a address proof in Inida. It means i need to fill it in address to be printed coulum.
What is the other address. Are they going to print this in passport as well. If they are going to print this in passport, can i give my India address here as well? Is it mandatory to give one US address (other address)? Please help me. I am trying to renew the passport and would like to keep my existing India address.

rustum
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Can someone help me with this...
As per the new rules for indian passport nenewal, you are supposed to fill an online form which would prepare a PDF file with your entries , and then you have to take a printout and submit it at the cosulate.
But the problem is, there are many more questions in the PDF from which are not even mentioned in the online form.

My dilemma is,
What do I do with the entries in the PDF form (passport) that are NOT filled by the online form ? Am I supposed to fill them by pen or just leave them alone ?

In the guidelines and instruction document, under the steps:-
Passport should be registered online and after taking the printout, information in the blank spaces should be handwritten. Return address and telephone numbers must be mentioned.

You might have already submitted your application. This might help others following this thread.

billu
03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
I have to mail my application to cgi houston for my passport renewal. can anyone answer the following:

are they strict regarding the photo size of 3.5cm by 3.5cm?I have few old passport size photos of 2 by 2 inches and am thinking of using them.

Which address (India or US) should I mention in the application form?

Do I have to notarize my H1B approval notice and other documents that I mail to them?
thanks in advance.

javadeveloper
03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I have to mail my application to cgi houston for my passport renewal. can anyone answer the following:

are they strict regarding the photo size of 3.5cm by 3.5cm?I have few old passport size photos of 2 by 2 inches and am thinking of using them.

take 2/2 photos and cut it to make it 3.5/3.5

I mentioned US address

Do I have to notarize my H1B approval notice and other documents that I mail to them?

Yes - as per the instructions

thanks in advance.

vrbest
03-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Both Addresses will be printed on the passport. One for current address in USA and other for Indian Permanent address.

Application form is asking for address to be printed and other address. I am planning to keep my India address (my place) on my passport. I use my passport as a address proof in Inida. It means i need to fill it in address to be printed coulum.
What is the other address. Are they going to print this in passport as well. If they are going to print this in passport, can i give my India address here as well? Is it mandatory to give one US address (other address)? Please help me. I am trying to renew the passport and would like to keep my existing India address.

vrbest
03-10-2009, 12:07 PM
You can send 2 x 2 photo.. they will cut and make it like a 3.5cm x 3.5cm Or you can use epassportphoto dot com to get yourself a 3.5cm x 3.5cm passport photos for less.

thanks in advance.

vrbest
03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Each Passport is unique and will have different number each time they issue.. Just staple all your passports together and carry with you for travel.

Hi Guyz,
I just realized that the newly renewed passport has a different number than the original one. It is by choice or by chance ?

Thanks
Shonkho

javadeveloper
03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Both Addresses will be printed on the passport. One for current address in USA and other for Indian Permanent address.

In the form it looks like this:

Permanent address
(a) In India:

-----

(b) In County of domicile

--

I am clear with In India but confused with In County of domicile

Can some one please explain what it is?? Is it country instead of county?

rustum
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
You can send 2 x 2 photo.. they will cut and make it like a 3.5cm x 3.5cm Or you can use epassportphoto dot com to get yourself a 3.5cm x 3.5cm passport photos for less.
Can i have both the address to be a India permanent address? Is there any way to avoid US address in passport? Presently i am on H1 visa. I have entered with L1 visa which is expired. Later my company transferred me to H1 visa which is not stamped. What are the documents i need to submit for visa proof?

vrbest
03-10-2009, 09:40 PM
I am not sure how consulate will consider if present address is not given.. I dont see any reason not to provide current address here.. It just provides your presence in USA. For visa proof, just send your H1B approved notice copy notarized. That should take care of it.

Hope this helps!

Can i have both the address to be a India permanent address? Is there any way to avoid US address in passport? Presently i am on H1 visa. I have entered with L1 visa which is expired. Later my company transferred me to H1 visa which is not stamped. What are the documents i need to submit for visa proof?

saro28
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
I did a year ago, gave my US address. They entered the US address in passport. So now you loose your indian address as a proof :)

Regarding H1-B, if your passport is stamped with Visa, I don't think notarized H1-B copy is required. Since the passport has a valid visa.

rustum
03-11-2009, 12:14 AM
I did a year ago, gave my US address. They entered the US address in passport. So now you loose your indian address as a proof :)

Regarding H1-B, if your passport is stamped with Visa, I don't think notarized H1-B copy is required. Since the passport has a valid visa.

vrbest and Saro,
Thanks for the information. In online application, there is a column for address to be printed in passport. There is a column for other address. I am planning to give India permanent address in the first column. Hopefully they will put that into the passport. Passport is the only address proof for me in India.

My L1 visa is expired on October, 2008. My company moved me to H1 and i am yet to go for stamping on H1.

vrbest
03-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Since you dont have visa stamped on passport, H1B approval copy notarized would help. You should be fine entering both addresses and I have seen both addresses on my Passport on renewal.

vrbest and Saro,
Thanks for the information. In online application, there is a column for address to be printed in passport. There is a column for other address. I am planning to give India permanent address in the first column. Hopefully they will put that into the passport. Passport is the only address proof for me in India.

My L1 visa is expired on October, 2008. My company moved me to H1 and i am yet to go for stamping on H1.

rustum
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Since you dont have visa stamped on passport, H1B approval copy notarized would help. You should be fine entering both addresses and I have seen both addresses on my Passport on renewal.
Thanks for the info. I am planning to add my wife name by providing marriage certificate. Can i add my child name with his birth certificate. By not providing other address , can i avoid having US address on my passport.

billu
03-11-2009, 03:02 PM
My current passport has my old India residential address. Now, my parents have moved to a new address. When I apply for new passport, can I provide my new India address?Do I have to provide any proof for that?Has anyone had this situation?
thanks

gauravsh
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I applied to my passport renewal in Jan 09 got back the renewed passport in march 2009.
I checked the passport and on my new passport the old passport number was wrong.
I went personally there and they put a observation in my passport as (the old passport number should be read as xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).
The observation is hand written and has no signature or stamp on it. I talked to the lady there and she said this is fine and lawful.

Can any one shed any light, if that can be a problem to me while travelling??

BTW - old passport was mentioned wrong becuase I did a typing error while filling online application. When I went there they corrected the ew passport and gave me within 1 hour. So in that way they were helpful.

vrbest
03-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I am not sure on address.. For Child - I dont think you can add the name to your passport unless you plan not to have a separate passport for the child..

Thanks for the info. I am planning to add my wife name by providing marriage certificate. Can i add my child name with his birth certificate. By not providing other address , can i avoid having US address on my passport.

vrbest
03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Yes. You can provide new address. I have done this twice and had no issues.

My current passport has my old India residential address. Now, my parents have moved to a new address. When I apply for new passport, can I provide my new India address?Do I have to provide any proof for that?Has anyone had this situation?
thanks

rustum
03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I am not sure on address.. For Child - I dont think you can add the name to your passport unless you plan not to have a separate passport for the child..

Vrbest,
Thanks for the info. In page no 2 of my passport (issued in India), there is a section "Particulars of Children included in the passport". This section is below the address section. Anyway, i don't think so adding children name is such a important thing for me. I will skip providing the children information.

looivy
03-11-2009, 06:03 PM
My Indian passport is about to expire in Oct 2009. Is there step by step instructions available on IV forums for filling in the online form for passport renewal on Indian Consulate - Chicago website.

Thanks.

billu
03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Is it better to send a money order or a cashier's check to CGI hosuton?which one is easier to track so that I can know that they are working on my application.....going by others experience of the lack of communication from them,which one is better?
thanks

billu
03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Could someone let me know if we have to notarize the utility bill/drivers license too or just the visa copy from the original passport? thanks

pms
03-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi
I mailed my passport renewal application to CGI houston on march 3 2009. When i try to find the status of my application the operator says that the old passport no is not registered and i need to check with the mail room. I tried calling the mail room and there is no one to answer the call. Has someone faced a similar problem before ?
I used ext 122 to call the mail room , is there any other number that i can contact to find the status of my application ? Request the forum to provide some inputs .

PMS

saro28
03-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Do you have any signature or delivery confirmation? I mailed on 3/11 and got signature proof that consulate has received and Ramana Rao had signed. You are now scaring me. I am going to call consulate tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

shana04
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
My Indian passport is about to expire in Oct 2009. Is there step by step instructions available on IV forums for filling in the online form for passport renewal on Indian Consulate - Chicago website.

Thanks.

http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/Passpins.html

saro28
03-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Did you send email to passportcgihouston@swbell.net ? I sent yesterday, today i got confirmation my passport has been received. What a relief!

gr_b
03-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I've mailed my application on 3/16 and received by Houston office on 3/18 as per fedex tracking..

I sent an email to passportcgihouston@swbell.net on friday and got the response that my application was not registered in their system..

Is there some waiting time to register the application in the system?? I'll send another mail after 2 days..hopefully it will be registered by then..

billu
03-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I've mailed my application on 3/16 and received by Houston office on 3/18 as per fedex tracking..

I sent an email to passportcgihouston@swbell.net on friday and got the response that my application was not registered in their system..

Is there some waiting time to register the application in the system?? I'll send another mail after 2 days..hopefully it will be registered by then..

did u e-mail them this week?Is ur application registered in their system....I mailed mine on 25th and it was delivered on 26th and I am wondering when it would be in their system???

gr_b
03-29-2009, 12:34 PM
did u e-mail them this week?Is ur application registered in their system....I mailed mine on 25th and it was delivered on 26th and I am wondering when it would be in their system???

Yes and also I contacted them via phone.

One lady picked up and told me that my application was not reigstered and it might be in return mail..She said recently they are sending the application back if the photos come as black when scanned using their scanner. She told me to contact mail room but no luck in reaching them..Its always busy and going to voice mail..

i've sent another email about mail room contact..I've got response and asked my number and the rep will ask the mail room to contact me directly....I'm hoping to hear from them..

gr_b
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM

Hi, Did u contact them? whats the status on your application?

billu
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi, Did u contact them? whats the status on your application?

no i will call them on thursday as i will be busy till then......what did u mean by "photos coming out black when scanned by their scanner".....was there anything we are supposed to do to avoid that?....did u get any update on ur application?after how many days of receipt is it supposed to be in their system?

gr_b
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
no i will call them on thursday as i will be busy till then......what did u mean by "photos coming out black when scanned by their scanner".....was there anything we are supposed to do to avoid that?....did u get any update on ur application?after how many days of receipt is it supposed to be in their system?

No Response yet..still trying to reach them..

Sorry. I meant photos coming as dark or not clear when scanned..

billu
03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
No Response yet..still trying to reach them..

Sorry. I meant photos coming as dark or not clear when scanned..

thanks......i had one more ?
did u select "fresh passport" or "re-issue of passport" when filling the online passport registration form. I selected "re-issue of passport" but I read on other online forum that it could be "fresh passport"....just want to be sure

gr_b
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
thanks......i had one more ?
did u select "fresh passport" or "re-issue of passport" when filling the online passport registration form. I selected "re-issue of passport" but I read on other online forum that it could be "fresh passport"....just want to be sure

Re-issue of passport.

theMan
03-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Folks, as a FYI, don't get too bogged down with all the details. Here is my status.
Applied on 3rd march for name correction/reissue of fresh passport.
1) Got a money order for $60
2) Filled out the online form
3) Took copies of relevant pages from passport, license, utility bill.
4) Signed each copy attesting that it is a true copy
5) Took a photo from my digital camera, cropped it on epassport.com and got 8 copies for 20 c. It is true that their scanner blurs the quality of picture, so better have a white background.
6) A couple of email exchanges. This is the best form of communication and I recommend being courteous. Be prepared for vague and sometimes obvious answers.
7) Received new passport on 30th March, although their website says 7 working days.

billu
04-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Re-issue of passport.

thanks, I had e-mailed them yesterday and they replied today that my application is regd in their system and that all apps received by mail will take atleast 3 weeks to process.....did u get any info on ur application ?

saro28
04-01-2009, 10:30 PM
I received my passport exactly in 16 days. I sent $70, they sent only 36 page passport instead of 50. I am going to email for $10 refund!

billu
04-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Have u got any updates on ur application?They have mentioned "three weeks" as the standard time frame on the website....i guess yours has been there for three weeks.....have u heard anything from them?

webm
04-07-2009, 11:47 PM
folks,

Do anyone have checklist/steps to follow for filing passport renewal going in person to NYC Indian consulate?

Thanks in advance!

gr_b
04-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Have u got any updates on ur application?They have mentioned "three weeks" as the standard time frame on the website....i guess yours has been there for three weeks.....have u heard anything from them?

I'll get more details tomorrow. They still didn't find my application...today one agent told me that she will do the research and get back to me.

billu
04-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I'll get more details tomorrow. They still didn't find my application...today one agent told me that she will do the research and get back to me.

have u got any updates?

gr_b
04-20-2009, 04:48 PM
have u got any updates?

I've sent my friend in Houston to passport office to check the status and they found my passport.. they said the same reason (photos are not good)..My friend told them to keep the passport there and he will bring new photos. I've sent the new photos to my friend on friday..I hope these new pics will come good otherwise I'll ask him to bring my passport back.. I need to renew my license :)

maddipati1
04-20-2009, 05:27 PM
SFO took exactly 5 business days, incl. the day they received and the day they dispatched.

sent by mail.

only 2 photos needed.

notarized only the cover letter and affidavit to add spouse's name.

their website is perfect. don't need to read/talk to anything/one else.

http://www.cgisf.org > Passport

perfect 10.

:D funny thing happened with desi Notary.. Jay Leno stuff.. :D

Asked him to notarize the affidavit to add spouse's name.

he wrote.. i hereby notarize.. 'AFFIDAVIT FOR ADDITIONAL SPOUSE'.

ADDITIONAL !!?? :D :D

i was thinking... i have one.. i'm good.. no thank you..

Enclosures:
------------
1. Fully completed & signed Application Form, printed from your website (4 Pages).
2 recent photographs - 1 pasted on the first page & 1 stapled on the last page.
2. 1 Money Order of $40 for passport fee.
3. Original old/current passport ####### (36 pages).
4. Copies of first five & last two pages and VISA page from current Passport (6 pgs).
5. Self-addressed USPS Express Mail Envelope for passport return.
6. Proof of work authorization (2 pages):
i) Copy of I-797 and
ii) Copy of EAD.
7. Proof of legal status (2 pgs) :
i) Copy of H1B VISA &
ii) Copy of I-485 Receipt.
8. Proof of residence(4 pgs):
i) Rental Agreement and
ii) Landline Telephone Bill.
9. For wife’s name inclusion:
i) Copies of first five & last two pages from my wife’s Passport (6 pgs)
ii) Copy of Marriage certificate,
iii) Copy of Marriage Photos (2 pgs)
iv) Affidavit signed by both of us.

only couple of things i didn't follow in the website instructions are..

1) Didn't include wife's original passport.
2) Didn't get two witnesses to sign the affidavit to add spouse's name
and no wedding card copy.

chprav
04-25-2009, 08:42 PM
I applied my wife's passport for extension. She has 6 more months on that one. I got the renewal exactly after 3 weeks from CGI-Houston. But the problem is, they gave only 1yr extension. In effect, I got only 6 months extension. I'm glad, atleast they sent it because we already booked the ticket to India in May. I'm not sure why they've given like that. Anyone has any ideas on that one?

billu
04-28-2009, 10:49 PM
I applied my wife's passport for extension. She has 6 more months on that one. I got the renewal exactly after 3 weeks from CGI-Houston. But the problem is, they gave only 1yr extension. In effect, I got only 6 months extension. I'm glad, atleast they sent it because we already booked the ticket to India in May. I'm not sure why they've given like that. Anyone has any ideas on that one?

The h4 or h1(whichever visa she is on)visa in your wife's passport would have expired and the I-797 approval notice must have less than one year from now. Heres the note from NY consulate website
"Important Note: In certain cases of an old passports issued by an office other than the Consulate General of New York, a passport is issued for one year. In such cases, applicants have to apply for extension of the passport any time after 45 days. A passport is also issued for one year in cases of expiry of valid U.S. residence visa. In such cases, applicants have to apply for extension of validity as soon as valid U.S. Residence visa is approved. There is no fee for extension of validity of passport."
If such is not the case,then you can e-mail the CGI houston and they will let you know why they did that. Apparently,they are more prompt with e-mail than with phone.

rtarar
04-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I mailed mine on 9 th April. Just follow the check list from consulates website.
Sent $60 Money Order. Recieved the passport along with the old one on 28th April 2009.

My experince has been good.They promptly replied to my emails.

-R

meetpravee
04-30-2009, 03:25 PM
What is the best email address to contact CGI houston consulate about passport renewal. I am using passportcgihouston@swbell.net, but I am not getting any replies.

rtarar
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
I sent my mails to passportcgihouston@swbell.net . And received response within 48 hrs.
Though I worded my emails very very politely ;-).

naresh.kumar
05-17-2009, 05:54 PM
All,

I am about to send my passport renewal application to CGI Houston paying the Tatkal fee. As I am a consultant and will be traveling all week, I might not be home when the passport arrives. And so, I want CGI to send my renewed passport to my aunt's address.

Has anyone done this before? If so, is it sufficient if I send an self-addressed envelope with my aunt's address?

Thanks for your replies.

Kiranmayeevnv
06-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi,

we sent our passport to Houston CGI in March. We received a mail from Postoffice saying that we missed the Passport and asking us to pick up at the post office. since we were out of station, we missed it in the bulk of mails and by the time we reached, the passport was sent back.

CGI houston replied us asking to confirm if the passport returned to Houston, and on confirmation, we asked them how to proceed to get it back. We got a call the other day to my home where in the person from CGI Houston informed that the passport was sent back as the photos were not clear, and they again got it back.

Now, the passport is with them. Will going in person make the work easy? We are in Dallas, and thinking of this.

gbof
06-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Last name (surname) was missing in my daughter's original passport and also same is missing again at renewal.

Can anybody advise the best course to rectify this?. Any guidance in this regard will be appreciated.

dkshitij
01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I am renewing my passport at Houston and sending it via mail. I was on F-1 originally and changed to H1-B last year. I do not have a H1-B stamp yet. What visa document or visa photocopies should I attach? Do they have to be notarized?
I have only have the new I-94 showing my H1-B status.

Thanks.

eb2_mumbai
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I recently renewed my passport at DC embassy. It was not a great experience. The online application system gave me a date of Nov 27th. I go to consulate on the scheduled time to find that the office is closed. There were many like me who had come from far in cold to submit applications. With no choice we go back on 30th and there is huge line and only one window open. The lady at window was efficient but it was just too much for one person. Took me 3 hrs to get to window after which it was flat 30 sec (since I had payment and everything ready).

They gave me a date of Jan 5th for the passport return. That was almost 5 weeks. Since I was not planning any trips I was OK but there were lots of folks who wanted to make India trip and were forced to opt for tatkal scheme. I guess a way to make money. My friend went to NYC around Nov 15th and got his passport in 3 working days.

There was no apology for wasting our time due to their mistakes in appointment system. Any ways I never expected any so no disappointment. I will post the forum once I get my new passport on how that goes.

vinzak
01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
I renewed my passport from houston in september 2009 by mail. I had a great experience. Managed to get the passport within a week without the tatkal scheme.

In your case you probably will have to send a certified copy of your H1b approval notice (with attached new I-94) as well as the old I-94, utility bills etc.

I went to my bank to notarize my documents. There was a problem in that the bank officer said he cannot attest true copies and can only be a witness to an affidavit. So I wrote "I attest this to be a true copy" and signed it myself. The notary then signed it saying, "Signed in my presence". I submitted that and it seems to have done the trick.

Hope that helps.

dkshitij
01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
I am renewing my passport at Houston and sending it via mail. I was on F-1 originally and changed to H1-B last year. I do not have a H1-B stamp yet. What visa document or visa photocopies should I attach? Do they have to be notarized?
I have only have the new I-94 showing my H1-B status.

Thanks.

Another thing, my employer has the original approval notice I-797, I only have the I-94 part of it.

rajsenthil
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
The online application system gave me a date of Nov 27th. I go to consulate on the scheduled time to find that the office is closed. That's really bad. Luckily here in NYC, I went on the same day on Nov 27th and it was opened. The passport was sent to me by mail and received it in 10 days. I was surprised by the way the crowd was handled. I think it depends on the top person who is in-charge of the consulate.

gc_wow
01-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I never saw anything like this it is far worse than the government municipality office. There is only one lady at the counter nearly 200 people waiting. She is doing things at her own pace. They were fighting over missing $10s, nepotism etc,is prevailing, they have an official line and an unofficial line. It looks like a shack than a consulate. Burger shack is better than India Consulate. After more than a month I am still waiting for my PP.

bushman06
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Took about 3 weeks. I submitted everything by courier to Houston CGI. I did not get any message saying that they had recieved the passport or that they had started; after 3 weeks the return courier just magically had my new passport.

dkshitij
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Got mine back in 7 days. Awesome job Houston CGI!

smuggymba
01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
How soon can we file for renewal? Mine is due to expire in Feb, 2011.

what the rule - apply 12, 8. 9 months in advance????

Brightsider
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Great experience with Houston. The turnaround time has improved fabulously.
If only they had someone to answer their phones......

sgujjari
02-01-2010, 09:00 PM
SFO took exactly 5 business days, incl. the day they received and the day they dispatched.

sent by mail.

only 2 photos needed.

notarized only the cover letter and affidavit to add spouse's name.

their website is perfect. don't need to read/talk to anything/one else.

http://www.cgisf.org > Passport

perfect 10.

:D funny thing happened with desi Notary.. Jay Leno stuff.. :D

Asked him to notarize the affidavit to add spouse's name.

he wrote.. i hereby notarize.. 'AFFIDAVIT FOR ADDITIONAL SPOUSE'.

ADDITIONAL !!?? :D :D

i was thinking... i have one.. i'm good.. no thank you..

Enclosures:
------------
1. Fully completed & signed Application Form, printed from your website (4 Pages).
2 recent photographs - 1 pasted on the first page & 1 stapled on the last page.
2. 1 Money Order of $40 for passport fee.
3. Original old/current passport ####### (36 pages).
4. Copies of first five & last two pages and VISA page from current Passport (6 pgs).
5. Self-addressed USPS Express Mail Envelope for passport return.
6. Proof of work authorization (2 pages):
i) Copy of I-797 and
ii) Copy of EAD.
7. Proof of legal status (2 pgs) :
i) Copy of H1B VISA &
ii) Copy of I-485 Receipt.
8. Proof of residence(4 pgs):
i) Rental Agreement and
ii) Landline Telephone Bill.
9. For wife’s name inclusion:
i) Copies of first five & last two pages from my wife’s Passport (6 pgs)
ii) Copy of Marriage certificate,
iii) Copy of Marriage Photos (2 pgs)
iv) Affidavit signed by both of us.

only couple of things i didn't follow in the website instructions are..

1) Didn't include wife's original passport.
2) Didn't get two witnesses to sign the affidavit to add spouse's name
and no wedding card copy.

Hello Sir,

Was your passport issued in India?I have applied for my passport renewal and it was issued in Visakhapatnam. I urgently need my new passport to travel to india..

Thanks

maddipati1
02-01-2010, 09:58 PM
u mean the old Passport ? Yes, my old one was issued in India (vizag).

renewal applied by mail to CG SFO, got the new one to my mailing address in US, on the fifth day.

the 10 days estimate they are giving might be including the buffer time for contingencies and
contacting vizag might be the worst case scenario they are telling, but most probably not needed.

i later learned that, u can renew ur PP in India in 3 days, with Tatkal.

sgujjari
02-01-2010, 10:28 PM
u mean the old Passport ? Yes, my old one was issued in India (vizag).

renewal applied by mail to CG SFO, got the new one to my mailing address in US, on the fifth day.

the 10 days estimate they are giving might be including the buffer time for contingencies and
contacting vizag might be the worst case scenario they are telling, but most probably not needed.

i later learned that, u can renew ur PP in India in 3 days, with Tatkal.

Thanks a lot..u give me hope...was a little worried after the counter lady said it might take time, seeing visakhapatnam..ie in case they dont get a response...
My passport was issued in the yr 2000...so was not sure if the records wud be available online..wat abt urs?

Thanks once again...

Humhongekamyab
02-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I recently renewed my PP from Houston and it was a great experience. Ideally we all write in forums to complaint but I think we all should appreciate the offices/persons/departments who give good services especially the govt since none is expected from them.

I sent my passport via FedEx and few days after that I got a call from the consulate saying that my passport still have enough time left on it and is not up for renewal. I explained her that I need to travel to India for 15 days in June and will also be renewing my visa and around that time I will only have six months of PP validity which may be an issue for the US Embassy.

She asked me to send this statement via Fax which I did and within, I guess 2 weeks, the new passport was delivered at my house.

Excellent service.

EAD
02-02-2010, 01:04 PM
i got my passport renewed last year in Sept 09 from Houston without any problems. it took 10 days from sending the passport to getting it back.

mdcowboy
02-02-2010, 03:46 PM
I never saw anything like this it is far worse than the government municipality office. There is only one lady at the counter nearly 200 people waiting. She is doing things at her own pace. They were fighting over missing $10s, nepotism etc,is prevailing, they have an official line and an unofficial line. It looks like a shack than a consulate. Burger shack is better than India Consulate. After more than a month I am still waiting for my PP.

I went to the DC embassy to submit my passport on December 9th. The line was long and the lady was efficient. the only problem is if you don't have any of the docs, you are out...need to come back again..and the DC website is the worst of all...does not give all the documents required. I had all of mine and was done in an hours time. I was asked to come back on Jan 29th thats a month and a half later.

I come back and the place is like a movie ticket counter for the first day first show..no queue..not organized...people just walk in the front of the counter and gather even though they see a line..also the lady at the counter was RUDE...throws the passport right at you...there was favoritism to the department of state guys who came seeking visas!

vindyav
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM
hey all,

Dont spend money unnecessarily for Tatkal...I applied of rmy passport renewal through post and it reached Houston on Febraury 22, 2010. I goy back my new and cancelled passports on March 4 through FEDEX. It was just 10 days....Also my friend got back in 10 days,,Unless, there is something pending from you, The consulate will not delay..there may be a few typical cases why the passport is delayed...
Also, I have the US address in my passport.

waitforevergc
03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Hello Sir,

Was your passport issued in India?I have applied for my passport renewal and it was issued in Visakhapatnam. I urgently need my new passport to travel to india..

Thanks

I have to renew my passport from DC.

In the documents mentioned, "Proof of residence", I am staying in an apartment.

We don't have lease agreement, it is month to month. Also, the phone bill is in my spouse's name.

Please guide me what should I take as Proof of residence ? Is driving license photo copy sufficient?

Also, my US visa is expired in my current passport but I have my H1b is till 2012.
Will this be an issue?

Thanks!

eb2_mumbai
03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Wanted to share my experience. I got my passport after 90 days exact. They are sending passports for police verifications. So please either file tatkal or file well in advance.

vjj
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I sent my passport renewal to CGI houston on Apr 5. I called them last week and they said they registered it on Apr 8th and it is under processing. I will be traveling to India on May 18. Will I get my passport before then or should I file for Tatkal. Or how long can I wait before I send the tatkal fees. The lady who answered the phone said that I don't need to file tatkal and hung up. I am confused on what to do next. Please advise.

bushman06
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Summer of 2009 it took Houston CGI took about 6 weeks from time I sent to time I got my new passport. Given the speed with which you need your passport. Better go with Tatkal.

vjj
05-04-2010, 03:14 PM
If I send tatkal fees now, how long will it take for CGI to renew the passport. Will I get it within a week. Thanks.

krishgreen
05-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I had renewed my passport from Indian embassy in Houston last month, I have sent Tatkal fee and all documents and sent it on April 18th and I got my new passport and cancelled old passport on April 19th. It was total surprise.

krishgreen
05-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I had renewed my passport from Indian embassy in Houston last month, I have sent Tatkal fee and all documents and sent it on April 18th and I got my new passport and cancelled old passport on April 19th. It was total surprise.

Sorry guys it's not April 19th, it's April 20th.

austinsamb
05-05-2010, 09:10 AM
I live in PA and I was wondering if I could do tatkal at the NY embassy? I'm totally out of pages but I have about 2 years validity left so can I apply for a new passport with another 10 years and tatkal at NY?

Thanks for the reply.

virangar
05-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I applied for passport renewal in Houton,TX and got in 2-3 weeks.

vjj
05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I received my passport today 05/10. It was issued on 05/01.

dreamgc_real
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I will be taking my child to India for the first time. She has a US passport, both parents are from India - I am not sure if I should just take the 10 yr visa for her or apply for the overseas citizenship card. Is there a benefit to use one over the other? How long does it take to process each of them? Please help. Thanks.

raveen
05-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Hello all,if I am sending my passport for Tatkal in mail do I need to pay 150+40+20=210$,in one money order or indvidual money orders?

vidyasree26
06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
I had submitted my entry visa application form to Travisa ,Houston on May 24th.
I honestly dont know why it took them 5 days to submit it to the consulate. they submitted it on May 28th.
I tried several times to contact the consulate. Everyday I am on hold for atleast 30 -45 min and the phone automatically gets cut.
When I contacted Travisa last week , the lady told me it would take another 5 days.
Today, when I spoke to the agent, she was so rude and told me that if the visa was getting delayed, I should as well cancel my trip. she also indicated that it may take another week for it to process.
I wish somebody talk to these travisa agents at Houston and get things done faster.
One more thing, whenever I call they all they put me on hold for 10 minutes before they even answer.
If these agents had submitted my application on the same day it was received or atleast the next day, perhaps my processing time wouldn't have been delayed so much.
My cousin's friend applied for the visa at Travisa Washington Dc and they submitted the application the same day and he got the visa within 5 days.
I wouldnt be able to take my trip this time as I dont know when I will be getting my visa.

GC_1000Watt
06-15-2010, 04:54 PM
My passport is going to expire on 13th Sept, 2011. Any idea if I can renew my passport now, or do I have to wait till september,2010?

Thanks in advance.

bushman06
06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
My passport is going to expire on 13th Sept, 2011. Any idea if I can renew my passport now, or do I have to wait till september,2010?

Thanks in advance.

Better to renew right away. You can renew up to 6 months before expire date.

GC_1000Watt
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Better to renew right away. You can renew up to 6 months before expire date.

Expiry date is 15 months away. Can I still renew? I'm not too sure but I guess one can't renew before 12 months of expiry date. Is this true?

puding
07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
I got my original passport renewed at Houston. Here are my details.

Original Passport expiring on Feb 05/2011. Sent the completed application form with all the required documentation to Houston on June 17th. Received new passport on Jul 07/2010.

Prompt service in less than 3 weeks. Last week I emailed them requesting the status of my application and never got a reply. Tried to reach them on the phone, but no one answered. Was getting little concerned as I have an upcoming trip by end of this month. Got the fedex this afternoon. Very good service.

Thanks

sounakc
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
No you cannot renew before 12 months from exp date

Expiry date is 15 months away. Can I still renew? I'm not too sure but I guess one can't renew before 12 months of expiry date. Is this true?

furiouspride
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I went in personally last month and got my passport the same day through the Tatkal scheme. I just feel spending the extra $150 is way better than anxiously awaiting for it for 3 weeks. I know that they take their jobs seriously over there and the chances of your passport getting lost are bleak. However, there were still a few things that I'd have them do differently. When I told them I wanted my passport the same day, the lady at the counter gave me a shocking expression.:D Then, I was asked to wait for a few minutes just because I mentioned it was an emergency. Not sure how that works :D After 40 mins or so of waiting, when I asked the same lady what was up, she gave me an even more surprised look and asked me 'you didnt get your passport yet?' :D So, I'd advise better be safe than sorry.

willigetgc?
09-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I have applied for the OCI card for my kids in May 2010 and we still have not heard anything - how long does it take to approve the OCI cards? Thanks

reachinus
09-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I have applied for the OCI card for my kids in May 2010 and we still have not heard anything - how long does it take to approve the OCI cards? Thanks

When I applied for my son and I, we got it in a month.

mk26
09-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Phone calls and Emails does not work with Indian Consulates, I had received an advice from one of well wisher and sent a fax for the status of my childs PIO card, after sending fax they sent my passport within 3 days :), This is just my personal experience for the Indian consualte in Washington DC. So give a try FAX may work..

GCNeophyte
09-09-2010, 12:49 AM
My experience with CGI houston was after waiting on call for 1 hr in queue with counting down my position in queue, IVR informed me that "No one is available to answer my call press 0 for operator" , this goes in loop. I never was able to speak to a person any time during my passport was with CGI houston.

My advise if you are dealing with CGI houston is Send your passport and forget about month or so you will receive renewal after month.

willigetgc?
09-09-2010, 10:15 AM
When I applied for my son and I, we got it in a month.

When did you apply for it?

Brightsider
09-09-2010, 10:29 AM

You can try the Online Status Inquiry of the Ministry of Home Affairs, New Delhi. It issues the OCI.
You can find the link in the MHA website or try the following
https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

A few months ago, a friend had a similar problem. We got in touch with New Delhi only to be told that the OCI had been dispatched long before. It was lying in CGI Houston or in the Embassy in DC.

If that is the result of your online enquiry, get in touch with CGI Houston by fax or phone....the latter does not seem to be effective. Better or best if you can go to Houston or if you have a friend in Houston who can visit the consulate for this purpose.

Best wishes

reachinus
09-13-2010, 08:36 PM
When did you apply for it?

I applied on November 15 2009 online, was asked to submit the passports on 11/22/2009 and got the OCI cards on 12/09/2009 with an issue date of 12/04/2009. Hope this helps.