PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of Indian Passport from CGI Houston TX

Pages : 1 2 [3]

ult_1975
02-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Mailing room is the dispatch room of the consulate from where they FEDEX or post applicants passport back. I was able to get them on a random basis by calling the number this morning for 2 hours, try calling the CGI Emergency number and state that you have emergency to go back - he may ask you to call the general number - the tell them you have an emergency situation. Post your experience on this.

vtalibaba
02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
What's the emergency number to dial exactly? Also what is the right time of the day to call in your opinion?

Thanks a lot for your help buddy!!

vtalibaba
02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
So I managed to reach them. The emergency number to call is 832 283 1568. I told the lady who answered that I had been trying to reach CGI Houston all day with no luck and that I had an emergency as I need to travel back to India next week and need my passport right away.

The lady answering was pretty rude. She asked me my name and what date the application was delivered by CGI Houston. I said "I believe it was December 20". She replies "I need the exact date - estimations do not work here". It's a shame how we Indians treat one another in foreign land.

Anyway, she asked me to call back in 20 minutes while she checks on my status. Let's hope she actually answers my phone after 20 minutes.. and that it's good news. I will update here after 20 minutes.

vtalibaba
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Turns out my passport has gone to the 'higher counselor' for further review. The lady assured me I will receive it in 10-15 days.

This has been the most frustrating experience for me, being a student. Thanks CGI Houston!

welligotit
02-03-2011, 11:33 PM
After reading all the posts here and elsewhere, I decided to go in person to the consulate in Houston, TX and turn in my application under "Tatkal", wishfully hoping to get it the same day. Here is an account of my experience with them. (***Spoiler Alert: *** I got my new passport the same day)

My passport was due to expire in June 2011 and so, not willing to take a chance I decided to turn in my application in person. I flew to Houston all the way from Florida on Sunday and stayed the night at a hotel (Homestead – Galleria) within a mile of the consulate. Next morning, I walked down to the consulate at around 8:00 in the AM to find two gentlemen ahead of me in the queue. As time passed, the hallway filled up with more anxious people and an equal number of speculations on the workings of the consulate, some encouraging and some very discouraging.

The plaque said that they open up at 9 AM and to my utter surprise, they did. In about 15 minutes I got to the window and the lady tending it told me that they are not accepting tatkal applications this day. When I meekly asked why, I was told that they had no internet connection since Friday. And why would I be surprised? I asked her if there was anything that could be done, to which she said that they were expecting a technician at around 10 AM and told me that I could wait but there was “no guarantee”. I decided to wait.

At around 10:30 AM she rounded up all Tatkal Passport applicants and accepted our applications. She told us that the passports will first have to be verified only after which she can accept the applications under Tatkal. At around 11:00 AM she asked us to submit the fee for tatkal (40+150 = 190 USD) and collect the passports at 4 in the evening. I realized, at that moment, that there is a God, he has heard my prayers and has decided to answer them.

The collection process was smooth. First in queue gets it first. Actually now looking back at it, it all turned out to be smooth except for the brief “internet outage” episode. A Pointer: they do accept cash at the counter. I carried a money order which was accepted as well. As it goes, all’s well that ends well.

Anything I can help out with, give me a shout on here.

sys_manus
02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Congratulations!

I am planning on going to Houston next week from FL to get my pasport renewed. Mine expired Dec 2010. Can you tell me what I need to take with me along with the passport and $190?

Thanks!

After reading all the posts here and elsewhere, I decided to go in person to the consulate in Houston, TX and turn in my application under "Tatkal", wishfully hoping to get it the same day. Here is an account of my experience with them. (***Spoiler Alert: *** I got my new passport the same day)

My passport was due to expire in June 2011 and so, not willing to take a chance I decided to turn in my application in person. I flew to Houston all the way from Florida on Sunday and stayed the night at a hotel (Homestead – Galleria) within a mile of the consulate. Next morning, I walked down to the consulate at around 8:00 in the AM to find two gentlemen ahead of me in the queue. As time passed, the hallway filled up with more anxious people and an equal number of speculations on the workings of the consulate, some encouraging and some very discouraging.

The plaque said that they open up at 9 AM and to my utter surprise, they did. In about 15 minutes I got to the window and the lady tending it told me that they are not accepting tatkal applications this day. When I meekly asked why, I was told that they had no internet connection since Friday. And why would I be surprised? I asked her if there was anything that could be done, to which she said that they were expecting a technician at around 10 AM and told me that I could wait but there was “no guarantee”. I decided to wait.

At around 10:30 AM she rounded up all Tatkal Passport applicants and accepted our applications. She told us that the passports will first have to be verified only after which she can accept the applications under Tatkal. At around 11:00 AM she asked us to submit the fee for tatkal (40+150 = 190 USD) and collect the passports at 4 in the evening. I realized, at that moment, that there is a God, he has heard my prayers and has decided to answer them.

The collection process was smooth. First in queue gets it first. Actually now looking back at it, it all turned out to be smooth except for the brief “internet outage” episode. A Pointer: they do accept cash at the counter. I carried a money order which was accepted as well. As it goes, all’s well that ends well.

Anything I can help out with, give me a shout on here.

welligotit
02-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Congratulations!

I am planning on going to Houston next week from FL to get my pasport renewed. Mine expired Dec 2010. Can you tell me what I need to take with me along with the passport and $190?

Thanks!

Hey sys_manus,

Although your Passport has expired, the documents you are expected to carry need not be any different from the applicants that still have time on their Passports, so is my assumption per Houston CGI's website. Had your Passport been expired for over 12 months, you would have had to carry and additional notarized affidavit. Going by the book, you do not need to. However, If I were you, I would carry the affidavit anyway.

Here is a list of documents I carried:

1. Current Passport in Original
2. Completely filled Online Application Form (Signed in all four places)
3. Three colored 2"X2" Photo's. One photo pasted on the Application Form
4. Two proofs of residence. (I carried my lease agreement and electricity bill)
5. Photocopy of first five and last two pages of the Passport. (Although not required, I got my copies notarized and also carried plain copies)
6. Photocopy of my Visa (Although in person applicants need not get the copy notarized, I got it done anyway. You will need to carry a copy of your Green Card or EAD card and the original document too if you have one).
7. Money Order for USD 190. (They were accepting Cash at the counter on the in question)

I bank with Bank of America and they notarized my Passport/Visa copies at no cost. And I got my photos taken at a CVS.

Best of Luck!

sys_manus
02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot!

Hope I don't run into any roadblocks.

ekpall
02-09-2011, 10:10 PM
I am new here and need some help.I applied for a renewal of passport,now my passport has expired for more than 2 yrs,called cgi houston and asked specifically about Tatkal.I was told to send the info and it will be processed within 10 days.I sent it on 01/26/11 via certified mail,but just to make sure called them on 02/04/11,a lady answered saying that there was nothing in the system,and she will call me back,never received a call.I sent them emails,no reply.I called them today 09/02/11 which is today,was again told nothing in the system by the same lady,gave them the tracking# from the usps receipt which shows that they received it on 01/28/11,then she called me half an hour later saying that it was not in the system because they are in the process of sending it back to me as they cannot proces it under the Tatkal scheme and also said that they need more information like six copies of performa.I advised her that performa was for lost or damaged passport,and mine is neither.I asked as to when it will be returned,stated that she has no idea.Is she even telling me the truth or was just trying to get me off the phone?

sys_manus
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks a lot!

Hope I don't run into any roadblocks.

Went to CGI Houston on 2/8/2011 made it there by 9:00 AM there were 3 people ahead of me. I gave the lady in the counter following docs:
1. Old Passport
2. Notarized marriage certificate (to get spouse name added to my passport)
3. Copy of US VISA
4. Copy of lease agreement and utility bill for proof of address
5. One photo (2"X2") apart from one pasted to application

I took copies of first 3 and last 2 pages of passport too but they were not needed.

The lady took the documents asked me to wait for 45 mins for supervisor approval. I was called back in 10 mins and was asked to pay $190 ($40 for new passport and $150 for Tatkal). I was given a receipt and was told to come back at 4:00PM to collect the passport. Time taken for the whole exercise 15 mins.

Went there at 4:00PM and got into line to collect passport. Few guys behind me had flights to catch so I let them go ahead of me. Got to the counter handed the receipt to the lady and she gave me my old passport and new passport. Checked to see if all the information is correct. Time taken 30 mins.

They seemed to be pretty efficient and courteous to me.

CHI Houston is on 6th floor in building 3 of the post oak central. Post oak central is a group of buildings that explained the address to me I was confused as to what 1990 Post Oak Blvd is and what 3 Post Oak central is. There are two sets of elevators one from 2 - 12 floors and other from 14 upwards.

On the whole the experience is much smoother than i envisaged.

I did not have to do the tatkal thing but on the hind thought I think $150 was well spent as it would have saved me the anguish of waiting for the passport to turn up and you never know when you might need it.

Thanks welligotit for your clarifications.

welligotit
02-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Went to CGI Houston on 2/8/2011 made it there by 9:00 AM there were 3 people ahead of me. I gave the lady in the counter following docs:
1. Old Passport
2. Notarized marriage certificate (to get spouse name added to my passport)
3. Copy of US VISA
4. Copy of lease agreement and utility bill for proof of address
5. One photo (2"X2") apart from one pasted to application

I took copies of first 3 and last 2 pages of passport too but they were not needed.

The lady took the documents asked me to wait for 45 mins for supervisor approval. I was called back in 10 mins and was asked to pay $190 ($40 for new passport and $150 for Tatkal). I was given a receipt and was told to come back at 4:00PM to collect the passport. Time taken for the whole exercise 15 mins.

Went there at 4:00PM and got into line to collect passport. Few guys behind me had flights to catch so I let them go ahead of me. Got to the counter handed the receipt to the lady and she gave me my old passport and new passport. Checked to see if all the information is correct. Time taken 30 mins.

They seemed to be pretty efficient and courteous to me.

CHI Houston is on 6th floor in building 3 of the post oak central. Post oak central is a group of buildings that explained the address to me I was confused as to what 1990 Post Oak Blvd is and what 3 Post Oak central is. There are two sets of elevators one from 2 - 12 floors and other from 14 upwards.

On the whole the experience is much smoother than i envisaged.

I did not have to do the tatkal thing but on the hind thought I think $150 was well spent as it would have saved me the anguish of waiting for the passport to turn up and you never know when you might need it.

Thanks welligotit for your clarifications.

Awesome!

mjraj
02-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Applied for Passport renewal on Jan 4th by mail from Dallas. Got my passport yesterday. without any call.

EAD
02-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Just wanted to share my experience with the consulate. I just had 2 passport renewed recently. One in 2009 and one just now ( Jan 2011). I had no problems in renewal. only thing the recent passport took more than 1 month to get back without any phone calls/ emails to the consulate. Arrived with Fedex delivery with signature requirement.

My 10 Cents: Be patient. If its more than 1 1/2 month then start inquiring otherwise just wait.

vtalibaba
03-03-2011, 01:04 PM
For those who care to know and remember my situation that I posted on this thread.. I finally received my new passport in mail on Monday... after a wait of 2 and a half months.

Be warned - CGI Houston can be VERY slow and incompetent.

iak1973
03-03-2011, 01:52 PM
I had to wait 2 and half months for my son's passport; but last month (jan 19th) I have applied for my wife extension and I got new passport by Feb 21st. Not sure why certain cases are taking more than 2 and half months to complete.

ambals03
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
I renewed my passport in person 2 years back. It took 2 days for them to give the new renewed passport back.

Last month, I did renewal for my wife and posted from Dallas, got the passport back in 4 days.

Both the times, I did through tatkal and no followups or phone calls were necessary.

rk39
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
First of all, thank you all for posting on here. I found this forum very informative and helpful in my "quest" on getting my passport renewed and this post is just my way of giving back to the community.

My experience is very similar to most experiences on here, which I believe are "positive". We live in Houston, and 3 weeks ago I went personally to the Indian embassy to renew my passport, which was due to expire in May.

I am a very paranoid person ;), and some negative comments on this and other forums fueled my paranoia, which made me take half a day off to go there. I double checked all required documents according to their website (there arn't that many) and filled up the online application form. CGI Chicago has a very nice example on how to fill up this information at Passport on_line application procedure (http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/4PassportPioOci/Passport/2PassportOnlineProcedure.html) .
I took 4 2x2" photos, since its difficult to get hold of 3.5x3.5cm photos, and they were accepted.

I submitted all necessary documents and paid the fees ($40). They gave me a date for 15 days later, to come in and check for the passport. Yesterday, my wife went to the embassy with the receipt and her passport and collected my old and new passports.

My wife is a "chatty cathy" and she got into a small chat with the ladies working at the consulate. She was told that the consulate is rather thinly staffed for the volume of applications received and this results in delays sometimes. Also, they get a huge volume of calls and emails for various matters including information that can be found on the website and statuses of applications that were made 1-2 weeks ago, but they routinely contact people if there is a problem with the application.

So all in all, it was a very positive experience for me and I found the people at CGI Houston to be really wonderful and non-menacing, in contrast to govt. officers that we are used to back home :).

Best,
--abhishek

BadDeal
05-18-2011, 11:49 AM
I got my passport renewed from Houston CGI in Feb 2011. I recently checked the passport while taking a copy of the passport and found the pages are out of sequence. I tried calling CGI Houston and sending them emails but haven't received a response from them...

Should I go to Houston anf get things sorted out? or do you guys know any other means of contacting CGI Houston?

TIA..

BadDeal
05-19-2011, 11:16 AM
^^Bump^^

thomachan72
05-19-2011, 11:44 AM
is the tatkal scheme available at all consulates? Ours fall under the NY jurisdiction.

BadDeal
05-19-2011, 03:04 PM
is the tatkal scheme available at all consulates? Ours fall under the NY jurisdiction.

Yes it is available in NY CGI too.
Link <http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=97>

santhoo24
07-19-2011, 12:11 AM
So, many of them like me want to contact the CGI Houston, may be without lot of success. I thought this may be important to many fellow Indians. Thanks to the number provided by vtalibaba, I could talk to someone at the Indian consulate regarding my passport. Before that I tried for days to talk to some one at the CGI Houston regarding my passport. Basically, I did not sign on the 4th page of the online application and was not sure what would happen next, and was trying to know the steps I need to take. As you may know the CGI Houston people never respond to either phone calls or e-mails. So I called the emergency contact number which is 832 283 1568. The person answering the phone was kind of rude initially. The best technique is to wish the person first before you begin the conversation and he/she would be a bit polite. At least that's what happened to me. She said I am fine as long as I signed the first page of the application, and I am taking her word for it. Hope this helps someone as anxious as me about their passport situation.

Regards,
Santosh.

So I managed to reach them. The emergency number to call is 832 283 1568. I told the lady who answered that I had been trying to reach CGI Houston all day with no luck and that I had an emergency as I need to travel back to India next week and need my passport right away.

The lady answering was pretty rude. She asked me my name and what date the application was delivered by CGI Houston. I said "I believe it was December 20". She replies "I need the exact date - estimations do not work here". It's a shame how we Indians treat one another in foreign land.

Anyway, she asked me to call back in 20 minutes while she checks on my status. Let's hope she actually answers my phone after 20 minutes.. and that it's good news. I will update here after 20 minutes.

gnanda
07-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Recently i had a very good experience with CGI Houston.
Initially i sent all documentation and amount for regular renewal, Later I requested an upgrade to Tatkal
within a week i got the new passport with 10 year extension and they returned the Tatkal fee

I was worried, after looking at many posts here that it could take couple of months. The consulate is very responsive and quick in my case, i think they get overwhelmed during some periods causing the delays.

rustum
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
I am planning to apply for passport renewal for my child. His passport is going to expire by 21st Sep 2011. We are planning to travel to India in Dec.
Is it ok to apply by mail from Dallas? What is the typical waiting period to receive back passport. If i apply by mail, is it possible to upgrade to tatkal later in case of any delay or is it possible for some one in Houston to go to consulate and help us?
Do i need to take my child with me, if i decide to travel to Houston? Please help me.

ImproveIndianEmbassy
09-14-2011, 06:52 PM
All of you that are saying it took you 2-3 weeks or two months, to re-new your passport through the Texas Indian embassy, consider yourselves lucky!!

I sent in my application to re-new my passport back in March (2011), it's Sept 2011 and I have yet to receive my passport.

This is ridiculous! I recently got married in July and my husband lives in Canada, me living in the US, I need my passport to move to Canada and to live with him!!!! Because of their laziness at work and not wanting to handle customer service or give good service at all, I'm unable to travel!!

The procress of renewing your application should not take this long. They never pick up the phone, let alone answering any emails back. Once when I randomly called, someone happened to pick up the phone and got her to tell me the status of my application- they were waiting on clearance!!!!! It's been three months since then, and still waiting for my passport!

All together, it has been 6 months and still waiting for my passport renewal.....

Shame on them!!! I'm curious to know what they do all day in that office, and how sufficiently they work. If it's so hard for them to work there, then maybe they need to consider a whole new staff, a staff that is willing to do the work for us Indian citizens!!

By the way, all the fees have been paid and received, all the documents have been given, just in case anyone is wondering

skpanda
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Friends - quick question:

As per the website:

Processing time:

Applications received by mail will take atleast 20 working days apart from the time taken by mail. Tatkal applications received by mail will take 10 working days apart from the time taken by mail, for which an additional emergency fee of US$ 150 will be charged in addition to the normal processing fee of US$ 40 or US$ 50 for normal booklet of 36 pages and jumbo booklet of 60 pages respectively.

NOTE: The above time schedule does not apply to services where prior approval is required from authorities in India or any other Passport Issuing Authority other than the office where the application is made. In such cases, the processing time would be upto 6 months excluding the time taken by mail.

Question

My passport was issued in INDIA. Does this mean, CGI Houstan will have to get approval from Indian passport office and the processing time will be 6 months??

skpanda
09-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Folks..
please help answer my question if you have renewed you passport in CGI Houston. Thanks!

maanj
09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
I have renewed passport twice from CGI Houston.

In Early 2009 for myself (expired passport) and Mid 2011 for my wife (name change after marriage). Both instances i had wonderful experience and got my passport in 3 weeks.

@skpanda: my and wife passport were issued in India. so its not necessary to have wait time for 6 months.

Just double check your documents, and i notrazied each and every document they mentioned
(not sure if it makes difference).

skpanda
09-21-2011, 03:31 PM
I had a very pleasent experience with CGI Houston. I received my passport in 1 day for TATKAL 'MAIL' SERVICE for JUMBO passport. Below is the sequence of events:

19th Sept 2011

a. Sent passport for renewal with all documents thru priority Fedex at 5 PM ET.
b. Paid $220 ($50 app fee for JUMBO passport + $150 Tatkal fee + $20 for return mail)

20th Sept 2011

a. Passport application was received by the consulate at 9.30 AM signed by one Mr. K. KASULA
b. I tried to call their phone number every 1 hour till 3.30 PM ET - No response.
c. I found out the CONSUL GENERALs number, called the same.
d. A lady picked up. I explained her that I need passport urgently.
f. She mentioned passport is a different section and if I have paid the fees for Tatkal, passport section will diligently do their work.
g. She mentioned that CGI consulate employees to their job and only in some special cases where a prior approval is needed fom the India passport office, there is a delay.
e. I told her that I understand her point of view. But told her that CGI Houston should do a better job at communication. Even if they cannot pick up the phone, they can just email saying, there is a delay or some kind of automated status update on their website. Without which people will obviously get frustrated.
g. Also I told her that the general contact numbers are of no use. No body picks up the phone. The machine always says that 'there is no body to take your call' (even during 2-4PM).
f. She offered me help and asked me my Name and Phone number. She said, she will get in touch with the passport section and see what she can do.
g. I asked her name and she did not give it.
h. The lady seemed to be very nice and professional. It sounded like she is highly educated and showed genuine concern for people's frustration.

21st Sept 2011

a. At 10 AM ET, I received a phone call from the same lady with whome I spoke on 20th Sept.
b. She told that my passport was issued yesterday itself and dispatched thru priority Fedex. I thanked her, she wished be luck.
c. 10.30 AM ET, Fedex delivered my new passport.
e. Although their website says they are out of JUMBO, I took my chance and applied for JUMBO.
f. I received a JUMBO passport with 60 pages. I do lot of international travel and this definately helps.

SO ALL IN ALL RECEIVED PASSPORT IN HAND IN 40 HRS THRU TATKAL 'MAIL' SERVICE. Thanks to the Mystery Lady in CGI Houstan.

Good Luck to all!!

princeusa2006
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
I sent my daughter's passport for renewal using normal service (not takkal). I sent on 9/8 and I received on 9/21.
When I did the same last year, it took 3 months to receive the same and no one picked the phone call to answer.

rustum
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I sent my daughter's passport for renewal using normal service (not takkal). I sent on 9/8 and I received on 9/21.
When I did the same last year, it took 3 months to receive the same and no one picked the phone call to answer.

Thank for the feedback. I sent my child application on Friday. On Monday, I noticed that i forgot to attach last page of the application (parents declaration page). Will they send me REF to submit the missing page. Kinda worrying as I submitted original birth submit.
I was able to reach out to some one after trying for whole day. Some one picked up and forwarded me to a lady. She took all the info and contact number. She suppose to give me a call by Tuesday. Let me know any one has had this kind of issue with consulate.

spk2011
10-02-2011, 03:11 PM
i came to USA on h1b visa on 2004 and became out of status after that.my passport was valid until 2006 , but by then i was out of status in 2006.so i applied for passport renewal and they gave me new passport with 1 year validity ie upto 2007.then again in 2007 i applied for renewal and they gave me upto 1 year.so from 2006 to 2011 (ie 5yrs) they hae been extending my passport for 1 year until when applied for extension in 2011 they said we cant extend any more and you have to get any status proof or leave the country before my passport expires (dec 2011).

from 2006 to 2010 i have done my passport renewal at indian consulate ,NY.
and i moved to california in 2010 and again applied in 2010 from california and they gave me for 1 year ie upto 2011.now in 2011 when i again tried to apply for renewal they said we cant extend any more as short vality passport duration is only 5 years and i have completed that 5 year period ie from 2006 to 2011.

so what are my options now.should i leave india before my passport expires.is there any way i can get back into status in this country.can i marry a american citizen and get into status.

what if i over stay after my passport expired (dec 2011) and can i go back to india with expired passport.what problems could i face in india if i land there with expired passport.

i would like to know what should i do now.please help me iam in deep trouble now.

cpreddy69
10-03-2011, 10:48 AM
You will not be allowed to board flight to go to INDIA. It happened to one of My friends wife who tried to travel to INDIA, in an emergency situation with an expired passport. At the airport, in USA, they said "NO" to board the plane.

Mdev
10-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Hey guys,

What is the address for sending the passport validity extension application? I sent my application on Sep 20th to the address stated on the website under mailing details as 1990, Post Oak Boulevard, # 600, 3 Post Oak Central, Houston TX 77056. But yesterday my packet returned with the notice that the address is no longer valid!!! Is this the correct address for sending applications - 4300 Scotland Street, Houston, TX - 77007?

Appreciate if anyone who has successfully managed to navigate through this painful process can reply soon! Needless to say the CGI folks do not pick up the damn phone!

Thanks!

skpanda
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
I have used the below 10 days ago.

Consulate General of India, Houston
Consular Section,
1990, Post Oak Boulevard,
# 600, 3 Post Oak Central,
Houston TX 77056

Hey guys,

What is the address for sending the passport validity extension application? I sent my application on Sep 20th to the address stated on the website under mailing details as 1990, Post Oak Boulevard, # 600, 3 Post Oak Central, Houston TX 77056. But yesterday my packet returned with the notice that the address is no longer valid!!! Is this the correct address for sending applications - 4300 Scotland Street, Houston, TX - 77007?

Appreciate if anyone who has successfully managed to navigate through this painful process can reply soon! Needless to say the CGI folks do not pick up the damn phone!

Thanks!

cpreddy69
10-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Consulate General of India, Houston

4300 Scotland Street, Houston, TX - 77007
Telephone PABX: 713-626-2148, 713-626-2149
Consular Enquiry: 713-621-5576, 713-621-8408
Fax: 713-626-2450, 713-627-2034, 713-993-9347
Email: passportcgihouston@swbell.net
Website: Consulate General of India - Houston, TX, USA (http://www.cgihouston.org)[/B]

bemused
10-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, I too noticed that their web-site (New passport (http://www.cgihouston.org/newpassport.html)) mentions one address at the top of the web-page, and a different address at the bottom of the page (under the Instructions section, for Houston). How absurd! I wonder how many unfortunate people have mailed their Passport to the wrong address for CGI Houston! And of course, nobody answers phone calls. Could someone please confirm if the "4300 Scotland Street" address is correct? Or, is it the "1990, Post Oak Boulevard" address that is correct? Thanks!

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Mdev
10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys for your replies! I just managed to get an answer on the phone from CGI, the person confirmed that the correct address for sending the application is 4300 Scotland Street, Houston, TX - 77007! And that the 1990 Post Oak Blvd address is the old address! So sending the documents again to the new address and hoping they receive it this time. Fingers crossed!

@skpanda, are you sure you sent your application just 10 days ago? I sent mine on Sep 15th and the package returned back. Or could be that your courier guy was smarter to figure out the new address correctly! :D

Will post back if the application goes through, but seriously the CGI needs to get its act together. The least they can do is update the website to reflect information accurately.:mad:

mk26
10-03-2011, 06:08 PM
So they changed the address first without any forwading address and then changed the address in website..bunch of jokers.

Mdev
10-03-2011, 06:24 PM
The whole problem is that they did not update the website correctly! The old address is still not updated under the application mailing instructions section!!

So they changed the address first without any forwading address and then changed the address in website..bunch of jokers.

bemused
10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Mdev, Thanks for confirming. A quick question, my purpose for mailing documents to CGI Houston is to get a new passport. Does anyone have any input regarding whether it is worth it to pay the Tatkal $150 fee? Or, is it okay to just pay the regular fee for the normal processing time?

Or, is it best to spend the money to go personally (vs. mailing documents) to Houston? I am just not getting good level of comfort from some of the feedback on Forums that I see for CGI Houston... Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks guys for your replies! I just managed to get an answer on the phone from CGI, the person confirmed that the correct address for sending the application is 4300 Scotland Street, Houston, TX - 77007! And that the 1990 Post Oak Blvd address is the old address! So sending the documents again to the new address and hoping they receive it this time. Fingers crossed!

@skpanda, are you sure you sent your application just 10 days ago? I sent mine on Sep 15th and the package returned back. Or could be that your courier guy was smarter to figure out the new address correctly! :D

Will post back if the application goes through, but seriously the CGI needs to get its act together. The least they can do is update the website to reflect information accurately.:mad:

Mdev
10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
If you can, do both - go in person, pay the Tatkal fees and get the new passport by hand. In my case, I am paying the Tatkal fees to just avoid dealing with all the anxiety for 30+ days.

Also note that the website now says, that they ran out of Jumbo booklets. So consider applying for basic booklet only!

bemused
10-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi Mdev; thanks for the input and note about the Jumbo booklets. Yes, I think I will do Tatkal as well, to (hopefully) avoid dealing with any hassle. Not sure if I can go in person, but might do so if possible -- else, fingers crossed with Tatkal plus the Mailing process. If you managed get it all done successfully via Mail plus Tatkal, please feel free to make a post to let others know! Thanks!

If you can, do both - go in person, pay the Tatkal fees and get the new passport by hand. In my case, I am paying the Tatkal fees to just avoid dealing with all the anxiety for 30+ days.

Also note that the website now says, that they ran out of Jumbo booklets. So consider applying for basic booklet only!

jungalee43
10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I applied for passport renewal for both myself and my wife on Sept 16, 2011. I had a 20 year validity passport issued in Mumbai and was valid for seven more years. My wife’s 10 year validity passport issued in Washington DC was due to expire in 3 months. We enclosed both the applications in same envelope.
We faced the address problem mentioned in this thread. However Fed-Ex redirected the delivery and it reached one day later than the originally planned date to the correct address.
I received in hand my new passport in 10 business days. After waiting for two days, yesterday I called CGI Houston for my wife’s passport. The lady told me that they were waiting for clearance from Washington DC from where the old passport was issued. However she took my phone number and promised to call back in 15 minutes. She did call back in 10 minutes informed me that embassy in DC had cleared it and we would get the passport by Friday. However I was surprised to receive another call from Houston close to 6 p.m. yesterday. The same lady was on line again. This time she told me that my wife’s passport was ready and if I wanted to note the Fed-Ex tracking number. That completely stumped me. We received the passport by FedEx at 10.00 a.m.

skpanda
10-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Hmm.. i sent my passport package on 19th Sept 2011. I gave the 1990 Post Oak Blvd address to my office assistant. She Fedexed the package. Not sure if Fed Ex has a way to get the right address or the computer had cookies with CGI address which the assistant may have used.

Good Luck!!

smuggymba
10-04-2011, 11:44 AM

The address has changed for the Indian consulate, it's no longer at post oak. A friend of mine went to the new address a couple of weeks ago.

skpanda
10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
If you can go in person then that is the best option.

Tatkal will help you get you passport quicker (in most cases) and you wont have to worry if your passport is catching dust somewhere in CGI.

I have detailed my case at below location (post 531 in this thread)

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum84-rfes-and-specific-queries/15396-renewal-of-indian-passport-from-cgi-houston-tx-36.html#post2891245

Good Luck...

Hi Mdev, Thanks for confirming. A quick question, my purpose for mailing documents to CGI Houston is to get a new passport. Does anyone have any input regarding whether it is worth it to pay the Tatkal $150 fee? Or, is it okay to just pay the regular fee for the normal processing time?

Or, is it best to spend the money to go personally (vs. mailing documents) to Houston? I am just not getting good level of comfort from some of the feedback on Forums that I see for CGI Houston... Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

skpanda
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Mdev; thanks for the input and note about the Jumbo booklets. Yes, I think I will do Tatkal as well, to (hopefully) avoid dealing with any hassle. Not sure if I can go in person, but might do so if possible -- else, fingers crossed with Tatkal plus the Mailing process. If you managed get it all done successfully via Mail plus Tatkal, please feel free to make a post to let others know! Thanks!

I received my Jumbo passport just 15 days ago. The website is not upto date.

http://immigrationvoice.org/forum/forum84-rfes-and-specific-queries/15396-renewal-of-indian-passport-from-cgi-houston-tx-36.html#post2891245

Good Luck...

coolngood4u80
10-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Does anyone know how long would it take to renew the passport at CGI Houston under TATKAL scheme if the passport was issued in India?

skpanda
10-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Mine was issued in India.

10 business days for Tatkal but there are no guarantees. I have seeen people in this forum who have applied for Tatkal and waited for months.

In my case, i received in 1 day (40 hrs). If you want to know about my case, please check post # 550 (just 1 post before your post).

Good Luck!

Does anyone know how long would it take to renew the passport at CGI Houston under TATKAL scheme if the passport was issued in India?

bemused
10-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the info.

Also, just wish to quickly share my recent experience with CGI Houston in order to get a new passport by applying via Mail, under the Tatkal Scheme:

Day 1, after 5pm: sent via FedEx Priority Overnight, the old passport, application, and all required documents
Day 2, before 10am: my FedEx parcel had reached CGI Houston (I tracked it online)
Day 3, before 11am: got my new passport back via FedEx mail

I must say that (1) I was pleasantly surprised with this experience; (2) I still CANNOT believe that I did not have any issues with this entire process ... (I really was dreading unnecessary headaches, after having read some horror stories in the online Forums!)

Thanks CGI Houston!

If you can go in person then that is the best option.

Tatkal will help you get you passport quicker (in most cases) and you wont have to worry if your passport is catching dust somewhere in CGI.

Good Luck...

Bala1979
10-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I mailed the application for my son's passport renewal along with all the required notarized copies of documents mentioned in the consular website on 10/06 to CGI Houston. Thanks to everyone who clarified the confusion on the mailing address. I used the Scotland Street address. My application was received on 10/07. We got the new passport mailed back today. I didn't opt for Tatkal service.

For me, there was some confusion regarding the size of the photographs. The website mentions three 35 mm x 35 mm photographs (including one pasted on the application) however, the application itself shows 2 " x 2" on the where the photograph to be pasted is required. So I sent all 2" x 2" photographs(taken in Costco) and it looks like 2" x 2" is just fine. I renewed my passport back in 2009 and I got my jumbo passport in 3 days.

Both my experiences with CGI Houston have been good so far.

smuggymba
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
many issues with info on the CGI houston website.

some places they will say foto has to be 3.5X3.5, while at other place it will be 2X2. The FAQ says enter onine app, while the direct link talks about paper app...it's all messed up.

coolngood4u80
10-24-2011, 02:42 PM
I recently renewed my passport at houston.. Went in person, paid the tatkal fees and the passport was ready by 4pm on the same day. Didn't have any issues. I would suggest to go in person If you are in Texas

asdeepu
12-06-2011, 05:47 PM
If I have to go in person, do I need to get an appointment at CGI Houston?

asdeepu
12-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I recently renewed my passport at houston.. Went in person, paid the tatkal fees and the passport was ready by 4pm on the same day. Didn't have any issues. I would suggest to go in person If you are in Texas

If I have to go in person, do I need to get an appointment at CGI Houston?.....pls reply!!!

smuggymba
12-07-2011, 09:46 AM
If I have to go in person, do I need to get an appointment at CGI Houston?.....pls reply!!!

Yea and No.

just make sure you go to the new address. It's no longer on post oak. Walk in and stand in line..I think the time is from 9am to 12pm for submitting apps....at 4pm for taking delivery.

i'm not sure why you're going but in many cases they have online apps that you need to fill and print and that app has a date on that (which you select from a lost of options)...that's they day you go but there is no time specified.

kosars
12-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I applied for passport renewal for both myself and my wife on Sept 16, 2011. I had a 20 year validity passport issued in Mumbai and was valid for seven more years. My wife’s 10 year validity passport issued in Washington DC was due to expire in 3 months. We enclosed both the applications in same envelope.
We faced the address problem mentioned in this thread. However Fed-Ex redirected the delivery and it reached one day later than the originally planned date to the correct address.
I received in hand my new passport in 10 business days. After waiting for two days, yesterday I called CGI Houston for my wife’s passport. The lady told me that they were waiting for clearance from Washington DC from where the old passport was issued. However she took my phone number and promised to call back in 15 minutes. She did call back in 10 minutes informed me that embassy in DC had cleared it and we would get the passport by Friday. However I was surprised to receive another call from Houston close to 6 p.m. yesterday. The same lady was on line again. This time she told me that my wife’s passport was ready and if I wanted to note the Fed-Ex tracking number. That completely stumped me. We received the passport by FedEx at 10.00 a.m.

If you dont mind me asking, Which is the number you called? I have been trynig for 3 days, could not speak to anybody. My passport has been with them for 5 weeks and I have atrip planned jusy before christmas.

Thanks

Please let me know

asdeepu
12-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Mailed my appln packet today........paid tatkal fee........keeping y fingers crossed.

asdeepu
12-15-2011, 05:06 PM
I had a very pleasent experience with CGI Houston. I received my passport in 1 day for TATKAL 'MAIL' SERVICE for JUMBO passport. Below is the sequence of events:

19th Sept 2011

a. Sent passport for renewal with all documents thru priority Fedex at 5 PM ET.
b. Paid $220 ($50 app fee for JUMBO passport + $150 Tatkal fee + $20 for return mail)

20th Sept 2011

a. Passport application was received by the consulate at 9.30 AM signed by one Mr. K. KASULA
b. I tried to call their phone number every 1 hour till 3.30 PM ET - No response.
c. I found out the CONSUL GENERALs number, called the same.
d. A lady picked up. I explained her that I need passport urgently.
f. She mentioned passport is a different section and if I have paid the fees for Tatkal, passport section will diligently do their work.
g. She mentioned that CGI consulate employees to their job and only in some special cases where a prior approval is needed fom the India passport office, there is a delay.
e. I told her that I understand her point of view. But told her that CGI Houston should do a better job at communication. Even if they cannot pick up the phone, they can just email saying, there is a delay or some kind of automated status update on their website. Without which people will obviously get frustrated.
g. Also I told her that the general contact numbers are of no use. No body picks up the phone. The machine always says that 'there is no body to take your call' (even during 2-4PM).
f. She offered me help and asked me my Name and Phone number. She said, she will get in touch with the passport section and see what she can do.
g. I asked her name and she did not give it.
h. The lady seemed to be very nice and professional. It sounded like she is highly educated and showed genuine concern for people's frustration.

21st Sept 2011

a. At 10 AM ET, I received a phone call from the same lady with whome I spoke on 20th Sept.
b. She told that my passport was issued yesterday itself and dispatched thru priority Fedex. I thanked her, she wished be luck.
c. 10.30 AM ET, Fedex delivered my new passport.
e. Although their website says they are out of JUMBO, I took my chance and applied for JUMBO.
f. I received a JUMBO passport with 60 pages. I do lot of international travel and this definately helps.

SO ALL IN ALL RECEIVED PASSPORT IN HAND IN 40 HRS THRU TATKAL 'MAIL' SERVICE. Thanks to the Mystery Lady in CGI Houstan.

Good Luck to all!!

Can you please share the phone number that you called......thank you

asdeepu
12-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I got my passport renewed at CGI Houston. I mailed on Wed Dec 14th at 1:00 PM through Fedex Express, reached CGI Houston on Thu Dec 15th at 10:30 PM. On THu Dec 15th at around 6:00 PM I called Fedex just out of curioisty and asked them if I have any package. They asked for the tracking number but I told them that I don't have one and they asked me for my address. Waaaalllllllllaaaaaaaaa I had a package from CGI Houston ..........I asked them to hold it at their facility and next day Friday Dec 16th I picked up my passport at 9:00 AM. I got a brand new passport with 10 years validity.

I don't understand one thing.....the passport type is P. In my old passport the type field is blank ..........any comments???

jungalee43
12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
I had called consul general's number ending in 3153. You have to try it a few times.

If you dont mind me asking, Which is the number you called? I have been trynig for 3 days, could not speak to anybody. My passport has been with them for 5 weeks and I have atrip planned jusy before christmas.

Thanks

Please let me know

KIRAN1234567
03-15-2012, 03:46 AM
have few qns

I filed online and i have entered wrong address in the Permananet address... How to edit it or correct it ? The print i have is the wrong address which i dont want .

can i file again electronically ? or how to change to correct address ?

secondly
Am filing at housto

n indian embassy,I have the least letter..

For the second proof, i dont have DL ID...can the utility bills like bank or cell phone will be accepted ??? i dont have electrcity or water bills on me.

solomonraj
03-22-2012, 12:25 PM
03/08/2012
Sent passport for renewal with all documents thru priority Fedex at 1.00 PM CST.
Paid $210
03/09/2012
Package reached Houston on 03/09/2012 9.00 AM
03/12/2012
Called FedEx to confirm if they have a package for me. FedEx agent searched for my package based on my address and confirmed that I have a package from the consulate.
03/12/2012
Got my passport on 03/12/2012 2.00 PM CST.

ranger12
05-02-2012, 01:23 PM
I sent my passport more than six weeks back. I called two weeks back to enquire. They could not locate my passport. I have confirmation from FedEX and they have signed to receive it. They asked me to call next day so that they can research. I am trying to reach them 1000 times, but not able to get thru'. I have send several emails, fax and left voice mail when i could (Most of the times mail box is full).

I am not sure, what else to do. IF this is the way indian govt. treats indian citizen, then there is no point being citizen. I have green card from past 15 year and did not apply US citizenship till now, thinking that i love my india.